Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Suv666

Had to unfollow Rachel Riley today. She posts a lot of bollocks this was the tipping point. Proper nutcase. The pronunciation is thing is mental as well.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Amazing the amount this is being hammered on the day the manifesto is released

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
That doctored picture of Corbyn doesn't erase black history. Wow.

As I said earlier, nobody cared about the image until it was used to prove Corbyn's antiracist credentials. That's all I am going to say. You can all go back to slagging off Rachel Riley now.
Black people and South Africans have pointed out the issue of eraser of their struggle. Who are you or Rachel Riley to say it isn't?

She's rightly getting hammered for either a large error of judgement or intentional attempt to trivialize the cause. She's not only not apologised she's tripled down on it.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Whilst it was ill-advised and rather fecking stupid to do what she did, given her job on the tele, does it really matter to you all what she thinks? Is her opinion that important? The way the "internet" has reacted is laughable.
Why don't you use your own logic then, and ignore our comments?

Does it really matter to you what we think? Is our opinion really that important? The way you've reacted is laughable.

Etc etc

Fluctuation0161

Why don't you use your own logic then, and ignore our comments?

Does it really matter to you what we think? Is our opinion really that important? The way you've reacted is laughable.

Etc etc
Oh no. His "logic" only applies to everyone else. Absolutely no bias there.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That is completely unrelated to their point. It's better explained here

You can also add the perception that Epstein is your archetypal member of the 'shadowy elite' so some Jewish people probably feel quite sensitive about him being weaponised against them in the Jewish conspiracy narrative. If you believe that Corbyn is an antisemite, as any Jewish people do, it's not difficult to understand their point of view.
No. It’s not unrelated. It’s relevantly irrelevant.

There was no othering. There was no subtext. He pronounced his name as his family would and if folks have a problem with that, take it up with them.

Jewish people don’t give a Fcuk. Source : Jewish community that I live in.

Epstein was a fcuked up borderline deviant. The only people adding ‘Jew’ to that descriptor are the media and weird people with an agenda.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That doctored picture of Corbyn doesn't erase black history. Wow.
If black and South African people say it does, or that they're upset or offended by it, who are you or Riley to tell them otherwise?

As I said earlier, nobody cared about the image until it was used to prove Corbyn's antiracist credentials. That's all I am going to say. You can all go back to slagging off Rachel Riley now.
It was a quasi known about photo (hence why it was chosen) but no, no one really cared about the image of Jeremy Corbyn protesting Apartheid, until Rachel Riley wore a T-shirt that for some reason photoshopped the Apartheid context out and replaced it with a made up sentence calling him a racist, in order to centre a blonde haired, blue eyed, attractive Western woman as the victim, who despite the undoubted terrible online abuse she's faced, has still likely significantly less of a grasp on actual, systemic, institutional, day-to-day racism than even most Jewish people, let alone black Africans.

But even then, the whole kerfuffle could still likely have been avoided if once confronted with the genuine first hand offence many people took, she had magnanimously apologised, or at the very least done one of those half assed apologies that acknowledged it's offence, but insisted the point was right anyway... And yet instead, she decided to stubbornly double down on it, using Daily Mail, Telegraph and other right wing think pieces as justification for why Corbyn really hated South Africa, or something, which didn't remotely address the actual problematic nature of the photoshop!

I can completely understand why the fiercely entrenched anti-Corbyn lot feel like they're having to aggressively fight their way out of an ever decreasing corner. But trust me, you're on the wrong side of this one. When the largest demographic on your side are middle aged middle class white women with cats in their avatar, you're almost never in the right.

This thread by a (admittedly lefty) Jewish lecturer explains it much better than I can...

Riley and Obermann have been terrible figure heads for the anti-Corbyn movement IMO. They’ve allowed swathes of the left to dismiss genuine criticisms and real concerns by being self propellingly over-fanatical. Not to mention the frankly terrible optics of a pair of rich blonde media luvvies managing to aggressively center themselves in an argument about systematic racial discrimination.

Last edited:

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Corbyn gone after Bezos on Twitter and it's done huge numbers as you might expect. The comments don't look too favourable though. 192k Likes, 36k RT's and counting.
Comments are generally unfavourable because people try to be smart rather than understand the situation. Bezos strongly opposed the "homeless tax" in Seattle and succeeded in repealing it. It was going to raise as much as $50m annually from large businesses of which Amazon is one so while this is welcomed this is very much a token gesture. This is what is behind the post from Corbyn.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The gods of google have decided (correctly) that I am interested in Corbyn news, but have also decided that the only sources for it should be the Sun, Daily Mail, and Express. Their headlines are quite something - Blair warns against him, MI6 warns against him, his spending plan sucks while the Conservatives are going to deliver more and spend less*, polls show he is losing, and also a Corbyn government will threaten food supplies. Is this close to the usual?

*Reminds me of this.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The gods of google have decided (correctly) that I am interested in Corbyn news, but have also decided that the only sources for it should be the Sun, Daily Mail, and Express. Their headlines are quite something - Blair warns against him, MI6 warns against him, his spending plan sucks while the Conservatives are going to deliver more and spend less*, polls show he is losing, and also a Corbyn government will threaten food supplies. Is this close to the usual?

*Reminds me of this.
The gods of Google have decided that I am interested in what the Guardian has to say. So you & me both :)

DFreshKing

Jeremy's turn to be on Andrew Neill tonight, BBC1, 7:00pm. Might be a good watch.
Depends if you held out hope he might come back in the polls. Corbyn can only hope Bojo does even worse - what a car crash interview, although I think he polarises so much that it will hardly affect either his supporters or detractors. I doubt it will get many on the fence voters excited though.

nickm

Epstein was a fcuked up borderline deviant. The only people adding ‘Jew’ to that descriptor are the media and weird people with an agenda.
Or people who really, REALLY don't trust what Jeremy Corbyn says about jews. That lack of trust is really what this is about.

Fingeredmouse

Or people who really, REALLY don't trust what Jeremy Corbyn says about jews. That lack of trust is really what this is about.
A lack of trust based on what? He is a politician who, for all his many faults, has campaigned for his entire career against racial bigotry. He has openly stated in unequivocal terms his disgust with anti-semitism and has an active record of supporting the Jewish community in his ward. He has presided over the removal of people from the party including his prominent long term colleague Ken Livingstone. On what is this belief that Corbyn is antisemitic based? I've been trying to understand this for a long time and I appear to be completely missing the point.

nickm

A lack of trust based on what? ... On what is this belief that Corbyn is antisemitic based? I've been trying to understand this for a long time and I appear to be completely missing the point.
1. Backing an offensive antisemitic mural
2. Laying wreaths on the graves of anti semitic killers
3. Hanging around with anti jewish terrorists
4. Wriggling away from the IHRA's definition of antisemitism until pressured to
5. EHR investigation into Corbyn's labour party around institutional antisemitism

It's enough to make jewish people not trust him and immediate suspect the worst, whether he (or labour) is actually anti semitic or not.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Anyone that posts rubbish like that simply doesn’t understand.

There are ‘rules’ to follow when holding every lens of every Jewish person. I hold pretty liberal open minded and defensible views on Israel and Palestine. I hold literally no views on Jews as a religion. No more than I do Catholics or Muslims anyway.

Yet simply holding an opinion on that makes me an anti-Semite in the eyes of my (Jewish) friends mum. My friend agrees broadly with my take on the region.

It’s a very messy issue. Views on Israel as a country, the warring factions and the ownership of land are exactly that. They get rolled up into something bigger for some odd reason. A criticism of the country is not a criticism of the race, religion. Not at all.

Corbyn has done THOUSANDS more things to show he’s pro inclusion and diversity. He’s an absolute tool, but the media drive to paint him dark is ridiculous. Yet people lap it up.

Fluctuation0161

nickm

Anyone that posts rubbish like that simply doesn’t understand.
I'm not making this stuff up mate.

OK, maybe I don't understand. So what about people who might - like, actual jews perhaps, you know, the people who are the targets of antisemitism and presumably know it when they see it? Here's what the Jewish Chronicle said.
  • Throughout his career, he [Corbyn] has allied with and supported antisemites such as Paul Eisen, Stephen Sizer and Raed Salah.
  • He has described organisations like Hamas, whose founding charter commits it to the extermination of every Jew on the planet, as his “friends”.
  • He has laid a wreath to honour terrorists who have murdered Jews.
  • Mr Corbyn and his allies have actively impeded action against the racists.
  • [He has] given support to fringe organisations set up solely to deny the existence of Labour antisemitism.
Now if Boris Johnson can be labelled an islamophobe for taking the piss out of women who wear the burqa, perhaps Corbyn can be labelled an antisemite for the way he takes the piss out of the jews?

nickm

This is a ridiculous post.
Every statement was sourced. But again, I am not trying to prove that Corbyn is an anti semite - probably the most charitable way I can put it is he's an old man with a giant blind spot. But I am trying to explain why jews might not trust him

Fluctuation0161

Every statement was sourced. But again, I am not trying to prove that Corbyn is an anti semite - probably the most charitable way I can put it is he's an old man with a giant blind spot. But I am trying to explain why jews might not trust him
Some Jewish people may not trust him. But plenty do and have come out to support him. Problem is that those people are not plastered all over the media.

The fact that you are talking mainly about this issue instead of multiple racist statements from Boris Johnson which have been linked to an increase in hate crime, the Tory led windrush scandal and Grenfell is ridiculous.

Not to mention the Tories massive failings across 10 years including lying to the queen to unlawfully suspend parliament in an attempt to subvert democracy, record poverty levels and policies which will increase child poverty and failing to release the report on Russian funding for their party.

nickm

Some Jewish people may not trust him. But plenty do and have come out to support him. Problem is that those people are not plastered all over the media.

The fact that you are talking mainly about this issue instead of multiple racist statements from Boris Johnson which have been linked to an increase in hate crime, the Tory led windrush scandal and Grenfell is ridiculous.

Not to mention the Tories massive failings across 10 years including lying to the queen to unlawfully suspend parliament in an attempt to subvert democracy, record poverty levels and policies which will increase child poverty and failing to release the report on Russian funding for their party.
One thing at a time mate. This is the Corbyn thread after all.

Kaos

I'm not making this stuff up mate.

OK, maybe I don't understand. So what about people who might - like, actual jews perhaps, you know, the people who are the targets of antisemitism and presumably know it when they see it? Here's what the Jewish Chronicle said.
  • Throughout his career, he [Corbyn] has allied with and supported antisemites such as Paul Eisen, Stephen Sizer and Raed Salah.
  • He has described organisations like Hamas, whose founding charter commits it to the extermination of every Jew on the planet, as his “friends”.
  • He has laid a wreath to honour terrorists who have murdered Jews.
  • Mr Corbyn and his allies have actively impeded action against the racists.
  • [He has] given support to fringe organisations set up solely to deny the existence of Labour antisemitism.
Now if Boris Johnson can be labelled an islamophobe for taking the piss out of women who wear the burqa, perhaps Corbyn can be labelled an antisemite for the way he takes the piss out of the jews?
Some serious straw-clutching here to put it generously.

Corbyn has never 'allied' with anti-semites, on the contrary if you studied his history he's campaigned vigorously all forms of bigotry, including anti-semitism. He's also known to be a prominent anti-war activist and advocate of Palestinian rights. Unfortunately, when you're involved in such broad movements you're going to inevitably find yourself in proximity to bigoted and extremist morons who piggyback on the same movements to promote their nonsense. And while his use of the words 'friends' is in poor taste, what the accusation always misses is the context of which it was being used - as a diplomatic means of attempting to bring factions around the table for peace talks. Speaking of context, you threw in the wreath-gate debacle. Again, he wasn't in Tunisia on some 'terrorist-honouring' pilgrimage but a conference on the Palestinian situation, also attended by the US attorney general at the time I should add. The memorial service was for those killed by Israel's bombing of the PLO headquarters in Tunisia, yet the whole thing was twisted to paint it as a memorial service for the Munich bombers, largely after the Daily feckin Mail of all sources decided to lead with the 'story'. He's not actively impeded racists - he's suspended/banned plenty of party members, including his long-term colleague Ken Livingstone. And I'm not entirely sure which fringe anti-semitic organisations Corbyn has offered his support to either.

As for your last point - the difference is Corbyn has never 'taken the piss out of jews', and his track record of fighting all forms of bigotry dignifies that. Boris on the other hand has overtly taken the piss out of Muslims, black people and homosexuals amongst others to which he's refused to directly apologise for. If you were genuinely concerned about anti-semitism then perhaps take a look at Boris' disconcerting praise and associations for the likes of Viktor Orban and Steve Bannon.

Fluctuation0161

One thing at a time mate. This is the Corbyn thread after all.
Point is you are so keen to criticise Corbyn you don't apply any balance. But I'm sure you'll take the time to digest the following, one thing at a time?

40 things which indicate that Jeremy Corbyn is definitely not an anti-semite and detail his long record of challenging anti-semitism.

1. In October 1936, Jeremy Corbyn’s mother participated in the battle of Cable Street in defence of British Jews after British fascists had staged an assault on the area. Corbyn was raised in a household passionately opposed to antisemitism in all its forms.

2. In 23rd April 1977, Corbyn organised a counter-demonstration to protect Wood Green from a neo-nazi march through the district. The area had a significant Jewish population.

3. On 7 November 1990, Corbyn signed a motion condemning the rise of antisemitism in the UK

4. In 2002 Jeremy Corbyn led a clean-up and vigil at Finsbury Park Synagogue which had been vandalised in an anti-Semitic attack

5. On 30 April 2002, Corbyn tabled a motion in the House of Commons condemning an anti-Semitic attack on a London Synagogue

6. On 26 November 2003, Jeremy Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion condemning terrorist attacks on two synagogues

7. In February 2009, Jeremy Corbyn signed a parliamentary motion condemning a fascist for establishing a website to host antisemitic materials

8. On 24th March 2009, Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion praising British Jews who resisted the Holocaust by risking their lives to save potential victims

9. Nine years ago, Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion praising “Jewish News”for its pioneering investigation into the spread of Antisemitism on Facebook

10. On 9 February 2010, Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion calling for an investigation into Facebook and its failure to prevent the spread of antisemitic materials on its site.

11. On 27 October 2010, Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion praising the late Israeli Prime Minister for pursuing a two state solution to the Israel/Palestine question.

12. On 13 June 2012, Corbyn sponsored and signed a motion condemning the BBC for cutting a Jewish Community television programme from its schedule.

13. 1 October 2013, Corbyn appeared on the BBC to defend Ralph Miliband against vile antisemitic attacks by the UK press.

14. Five years ago Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion condemning antisemitism in sport.

15. On 1 March 2013, Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion condemning and expressing concern at growing levels of antisemitism in European football.

16. On 9 January 2014, Jeremy Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion praising Holocaust education programmes that had taken 20,000 British students to Auschwitz.

17. On 22 June 2015, Corbyn signed a Parliamentary motion expressing concern at the neo-nazi march being planned for an area of London with a significant Jewish population.

18. On 9 October 2016, Corbyn, close to tears, commemorated the 1936 Battle of Cable Street and recalled the role his mother played in defending London’s Jewish community.

19. On 3 December 2016, Corbyn made a visit to Terezin Concentration Camp when Jewish people were murdered by the Nazis. It was Jeremy’s third visit to such a camp, all of which were largely unreported in the most read UK papers.

20. Last year, a widely-endorsed 2018 academic report found ninety-five serious reporting failures in the reporting of the Labour Antisemitism story with the worst offenders The Sun, the Mail & the BBC.

21. On 28 February 2016, five months after becoming leader, Jeremy Corbyn appointed Baroness Royall to investigate antisemitism at Oxford University Labour Club.

22. On 27 April 2016 Corbyn suspended an MP pending an investigation into antisemitism.

23. A day later, Corbyn suspended the three times Mayor of London after complaints of antisemitic comments. Party.

24. On 29 April 2016, Corbyn launched an inquiry into the prevalence of antisemitism in the Labour Party. In spite of later changes in how the inquiry was reported, it was initially praised by Jewish community organisations.

25. In Corbyn’s first seven months as leader of the Labour Party, just ten complaints were received about antisemitism. 90% of those were suspended from the Labour Party within 24 hours.

26. In September 2017, Corbyn backed a motion at Labour’s annual conference introducing a new set of rules regarding antisemitism.

27. In the six months that followed the introduction of the new code of conduct, to March 2018, 94% of the fifty-four people accused of antisemitism remained suspended or barred from Labour Party membership. Three of the fifty-four were exonerated.

28. When Jennie Formby became general secretary of the party last year, she appointed a highly-qualified in-house Counsel, as recommended in the Chakrabarti Report.

29. In 2018, Labour almost doubled the size of its staff team handling investigations and dispute processes.

30. Last year, to speed up the handling of antisemitism cases, smaller panels of 3-5 NEC members were established to enable cases to be heard more quickly.

31. Since 2018, every complaint made about antisemitism is allocated its own independent specialist barrister to ensure due process is followed.

32. The entire backlog of cases outstanding upon Jennie Formby becoming General Secretary of the Labour Party was cleared within 6 months of Jennie taking up her post.

33. Since September 2018, Labour has doubled the size of its National Constitutional Committee (NCC) – its senior disciplinary panel – from 11 to 25 members to enable it to process cases more quickly.

34. Under Formby and Labour’s left-run NEC, NCC arranged elections at short notice to ensure the NCC reached its new full capacity without delay.

35. Since later 2018, the NCC routinely convenes a greater number of hearing panels to allow cases to be heard and finalised without delay.

36. In 2018, the NEC established a ‘Procedures Working Group’ to lead reforms in the way disciplinary cases are handled.

37. The NEC adopted the IHRA working definition of antisemitism and all eleven examples of antisemitism attached to it.

38. A rule change agreed at Conference in 2018 means that all serious complaints, including antisemitism, are dealt with nationally to ensure consistency.

39. Last year, Jennie Formby wrote to the admins and moderators of Facebook groups about how they can effectively moderate online spaces and requested that any discriminatory content be reported to the Labour Party for investigation.

40. Since last year, no one outside Labour’s Governance and Legal Unit can be involved in decision-making on antisemitism investigations. This independence allows decisions free from political influence to be taken.

nickm

Some serious straw-clutching here to put it generously.

Corbyn has never 'allied' with anti-semites, on the contrary if you studied his history he's campaigned vigorously all forms of bigotry, including anti-semitism. He's also known to be a prominent anti-war activist and advocate of Palestinian rights.
I see the astroturfers are out in force.

Please. This anti war activist invited two members of the IRA to Parliament two weeks after they attempted to assassinate the British PM. If he'd wanted to support peaceful republicanism, which many others honourably did, he'd have supported the SDLP.

Unfortunately, when you're involved in such broad movements you're going to inevitably find yourself in proximity to bigoted and extremist morons who piggyback on the same movements to promote their nonsense. And while his use of the words 'friends' is in poor taste, what the accusation always misses is the context of which it was being used - as a diplomatic means of attempting to bring factions around the table for peace talks.
That must be why we see this noble peacemaker so often talking to violent people whose causes he disagrees with (ie never).

Speaking of context, you threw in the wreath-gate debacle. Again, he wasn't in Tunisia on some 'terrorist-honouring' pilgrimage but a conference on the Palestinian situation, also attended by the US attorney general at the time I should add. The memorial service was for those killed by Israel's bombing of the PLO headquarters in Tunisia, yet the whole thing was twisted to paint it as a memorial service for the Munich bombers, largely after the Daily feckin Mail of all sources decided to lead with the 'story'.
" In 2014, Jeremy Corbyn was pictured holding a wreath in front of a plaque commemorating three Palestinians – including Salah Khalaf, who Israel says was linked to the 1972 Munich massacre. In a later interview, Mr Corbyn said that he did lay “a wreath in memory of all those who have died”. According to a Daily Mail reporter who visited the cemetery, the available photos of Mr Corbyn holding a wreath show him 15 yards away from the memorial plaque for the 1985 victims – but directly in front of the plaque for Salah Khalaf and others.

"Speaking to Channel 4 News on Tuesday, Mr Corbyn’s language seemed to suggest that Salah Khalaf, an alleged founder of Black Deptember, was amongst those for whom he laid a memorial wreath." Source - Channel 4.

He's not actively impeded racists - he's suspended/banned plenty of party members, including his long-term colleague Ken Livingstone. And I'm not entirely sure which fringe anti-semitic organisations Corbyn has offered his support to either.
Shall we see what the EHRC says before getting too confident about that?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I'm not seeing it personally, but i'm not Jewish so it's not my place to say.
This post is from last week, but the issue is lingering on, and imo some rather important things haven't been mentioned so far, so I guess it's fine to respond. I'll try to explain what I believe to be historical reasons for a general alertness over this specific type of pronunciation. My opinion on the Corbyn "incident" at the end.

First of all, I don't think @Classical Mechanic has been correct in his interpretation here. I don't think that associating Epsteins Jewishness with his crimes was intended, or even an unconscious subtext. Just my gut feeling based on the video snippet, but I'm rather sure about it.

I also think @Zlatattack is wrong in assuming the point of contention is a perceived "disrespectful" mispronunciation of a name of foreign origin (and a case of some Jews demanding privileged treatment over other minorities).

It's not too easy to think of an apt analogy for clarity, but a rough equivalent might be a white person inappropriately calling a black man "boy". If you're aware of the history of that word in the context of black history, you just don't do that. Even if it's just a glitch, some people will be on alert and pay close attention to what that person's up to. And they're right, even if the questions of severity and motive still remain to be answered, and may lead to a .

When done publicly, such a wording will likely draw criticism, especially when coming from someone who's already in hot water over related issues. This will in turn trigger responses saying it's absolutely nothing, and complainers should stop being so damn touchy. You'll know the inevitable backwash of ignorance and hostility that will go along with it. But informed people will be aware that a whole history of stereotypization and persecution can very well be evoked by an innocent-looking three letter word, depending on context. When used in a specific way, it symbolically sets black people back to being subordinate to white people, targeting the liberation they have gained since then.

It's basically the same with the "re-Judaization" of assimilated Jewish names. This has been a tool of antisemitic othering for a very long time. Antisemites used and still use it to mark the targeted person's supposedly alien nature, and to uncover the "hidden Jew" behind a seemingly assimilated citizen. The underlying logic behind antisemites exposing a Jew's "real name" is to make the whole history of Jewish assimilation and emanicipation null and void. And everyone with a grasp of Jewish history knows what that means.

A recent example would be Trump demonstratively calling Jon Stewart "Jonathan Leibowitz". (Stewart's response.) Now, I'm sure Corbyn didn't do something like this there. It's one of those things where purpose makes the difference. In general, I think critics accusing him of that kind of antisemitism are on the wrong track.

So what do I make of it? While there has certainly been justified criticism of Corbyn, this case rather looks like an unfortunate blunder to me. It surely warrants a critical mention/correction, because, as I said, if you're conscious about these things you just don't do that. And the context I tried to give above is why reflexive dismissals of such complaints are ignorant - at best. But I also see it as a minor issue, and not a case of dog-whistling, which is why I think scandalizing it wasn't the way to go. Especially in the toxic British media landscape. But my guess is that this particular episode will have resonated much less with British Jews than other ones. They're not a uniform "community" anyway, and the whole range of opinions will exist about it, in whatever proportions.