Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Silva

I think it speaks volumes that Kinnock now seems to be trying to relive the good old days when he fought the left.

"We want our party back" he proclaimed yesterday. I think that's a truer statement of their cause than concerns of electability (not that you can't have both).

"feck off members, this is our party" might be an even mkre accurate line.
The members aren't on Angela Eagle's side though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think it speaks volumes that Kinnock now seems to be trying to relive the good old days when he fought the left.

"We want our party back" he proclaimed yesterday. I think that's a truer statement of their cause than concerns of electability (not that you can't have both).

No, he sees the party in severe danger of breaking up and ceasing to exist if something doesn't change soon. I imagine he's quite fond of it, given he previously saved it from death only 30 years back.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

true.

Smores

No, he sees the party in severe danger of breaking up and ceasing to exist if something doesn't change soon. I imagine he's quite fond of it, given he previously saved it from death only 30 years back.
I'm sure he is but in this case it is only the action of the PLP that has created a need to split.

If Corbyn had enforced extreme policy decisions I could understand their actions. As it is they're trying to maneuver control of the party using the argument of electability and oh the Brexit vote.

They could have stood united with Corbyn and built something but they had no interest in doing so with him in charge. The battle to maintain Labour's centre leaning is more important to them.

Ubik

Illuminati confirmed.

Drifter

American
It was all that centre leaning ,especially towards those fickle ,"i'm alright jack" Tory voters that made Labour lose touch with the core supporters.

Last edited:

Ubik

Surely has significantly strengthened his position today?
How? If he really wants his history in foreign policy to be dragged out front and centre of the debate about him, he's not going to come out of it well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How? If he really wants his history in foreign policy to be dragged out front and centre of the debate about him, he's not going to come out of it well.
Neither is Labour, and Iraq is a slightly more topical story than Eastern Europe.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
JC did well in PMQs today too. He seems to be doing better now that a large part of the PLP have decided to stop doing their jobs. I suspect he might have been getting 'bad advices' as Arnie would put it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think the failed coup is showing that for all of Corbyn's blind incompetence (and there's a lot of it), the supposed more sensible, moderate figures within the party are also incredibly incompetent. Incompetent on a similar level to Corbyn himself, despite many of them having more frontline experience. Which should be evidenced by the fact that the last two leaders before Corbyn were both sort of incompetent in their own right.

I also think it's going to be hard for them to oust him now in favour of a candidate who hasn't put their name forward yet. I'd find it just a tad difficult to believe someone wants to be PM when they've already turned down two opportunities within the past year.

Sweet Square

JC did well in PMQs today too. He seems to be doing better now that a large part of the PLP have decided to stop doing their jobs. I suspect he might have been getting 'bad advices' as Arnie would put it.
Maybe. Also I don't know how much truth is in this but on that Vice doc Seamus Milne(Corbyn strategist ?)had said someone was leaking Corbyn questions to the Tories. Can't of helped(If it's true)

Ubik

I think the failed coup is showing that for all of Corbyn's blind incompetence (and there's a lot of it), the supposed more sensible, moderate figures within the party are also incredibly incompetent. Incompetent on a similar level to Corbyn himself, despite many of them having more frontline experience. Which should be evidenced by the fact that the last two leaders before Corbyn were both sort of incompetent in their own right.

I also think it's going to be hard for them to oust him now in favour of a candidate who hasn't put their name forward yet. I'd find it just a tad difficult to believe someone wants to be PM when they've already turned down two opportunities within the past year.
You are correct, Labour as a whole has reached a state of critical incompetence. That's clear in Scotland, it would be clear in Wales if there was any opposition worthy of the name, and it's clear in Westminster. The PLP is dismissive of the membership, and the membership is dismissive of the public. The NEC is now studied using a kind of Kremlinology, tallying up which members are pro-Corbyn and which are anti-, and that's the stage where it's likely to be decided whether Corbyn is or isn't on a leadership ballot. None of it works, and hasn't been working for many years now, but it continues to lumber on partly because of the romanticism of past achievements, partly because of the stark electoral reality that it would face if starting afresh.

Think we better get used to the idea of a fair few years of May.

Ubik

Okay, I can officially now give up all hope.

Classical Mechanic

The chap who made that Vice documentary said that he never saw a single member of the PLP anywhere near Corbyn or his offices. I think it is fair to say that neither side were interested in working together.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

I'd say the party membership growing to be about 1% of the population of the entire country is a reason for some hope.

Sweet Square

There's still this
Although I image the tweet you posted is right as any Labour voters who don't like Corbyn will just simply vote for other party(Lib Dems or maybe the Tories)rather than becoming a member to vote in a leadership race.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There's still this
Although I image the tweet you posted is right as any Labour voters who don't like Corbyn will just simply vote for other party(Lib Dems or maybe the Tories)rather than becoming a member to vote in a leadership race.
Me for example.

Edit: it's not that I don't like Corbyn, it's just that the party is doomed. I actually do like him.

saivet

He still has to go. Purely, because the situation just isn't tenable. I do really like the guy though, and have the utmost respect for him. Disappointed that he didn't lead a strong campaign to keep Britain in the EU, but I think in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't tarnish my opinion of him much.

Ubik

There's still this
Whilst it's impossible to put a definite figure on it, using random samples I imagine you can get a pretty good idea. At the same time it may also be a lot of membership renewals going through, as it was at about this point last year that the membership really began to surge with Corbmentum (original tweet says "applications" rather than confirmed new individual members).

But in general, looking at whatever bits of qualitative evidence there is around, I don't see enough turning against him for anything to come of it. My own CLP branch, for instance, emailed demanding an emergency meeting earlier this week to express its undying support.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Shame. Many more years of Conservatives doing whatever they please with that pointless hippy at the helm of the supposed opposition.

Ady87

My town has always been one for Labour. Huge numbers of people locally are signing up and paying the monthly subscription in support of Corbyn. I must have counted 20+ comment on my own Mum's facebook status about it saying they had joined.

Smores

Shame. Many more years of Conservatives doing whatever they please with that pointless hippy at the helm of the supposed opposition.
Aye the tories must be relieved they won't have to face the strength of the mighty Angela Eagle.