5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

You're right shouldn't even be compared to players at that level.

Other United wingers who were squad players like Park, Young, Blomqvist, Cruyff, Poborsky, Richardson, Chadwick, Bellion, Bebe, Obertan would be a better comparison. In that group i'd have him in and around Cruyff, Poborsky and Richardson.
Poborsky was actually a really good player though..

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So I lack the skillz to do the Sqwaka embed thingy, but doing the 'avg per game' in the league this season, here's a couple stats, all have between 1300 and 1500 mins, give or take:
Goals:
Mata - 0.25
Rooney - 0.22
Martial - 0.17
Mhikitaryan - 0.17
Lingard - 0.04

Assists:
Martial - 0.26
Rooney 0.22
Mata - 0.12
Lingard - 0.08
Mhikitaryan - 0.04

Attack Score:
Martial - 18.74
Mata - 16.02
Rooney - 13.90
Mhiki - 13.78
Lingard 10.55

Lingard is bottom of the pile, compared to Rooney who is an utter shadow of himself, the poorly settled Mhikitaryan and the out-of-form Martial. And in a different class from a decent season for Mata.

Lingard really does offer almost nothing in terms of goals. And that's a really big deal for someone playing his position. I'm not sure what else can be added. Just very, very very much not productive enough.

Footyislife

What? I'm sure Pogba can find new friends. He did well without him at Juve for three years.

Ridiculous lengths people go to defend him. We should keep him because his best friends with Pogba. :lol:
Lol I'm not defending him. He's a level below a squad player imo.

But he always seems to keep things lively and get everyone laughing. 75k for being a team mascot doesn't sound so bad.

And Jose can always save him for the cup games where his alter ego takes over and somehow pulls off world class finishes and crosses.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lol I'm not defending him. He's a level below a squad player imo.

But he always seems to keep things lively and get everyone laughing. 75k for being a team mascot doesn't sound so bad.

And Jose can always save him for the cup games where his alter ego takes over and somehow pulls off world class finishes and crosses.
We already have Fred the Red. Please get rid of Jesse who's not Messi. I'll get my coat.....

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
but mourinho is a lot better than you at knowing this, and picks him.

is it possible that stats don't tell the whole story in every case

Is it possible that players have other attributes than scoring or 'assisting'. Especially as a winger in a mostly defensive team
Say that again? For an attacking player, stats are extremely important and Lingard proves he's not good enough. Jose plays him due to a lack of options

buckooo1978

Say that again? For an attacking player, stats are extremely important and Lingard proves he's not good enough. Jose plays him due to a lack of options
disagree with this.....

if Jose only plays him due to a lack of options why give him a new contract, a 100k a week one reportedly

he's made the team because of his work rate in my opinion which tells you all you need to know about Jose's negative mindset

I'd say a better defensive player like Ji Sung Park would have had better attacking productivity as well

shield

Thought he looked tired. His only strength is running around a lot and he can't even do that if he is tired. Think Mourinho should have realized this given that he sees him in training every day, and played some one else. Literally any youth player can take over his role of running around a lot.

stevoc

Poborsky was actually a really good player though..
He was but he wasn't really a winger which is where we played him (like Lingard) and he wasn't that good for us.

I'm just judging those players on how they performed for United.

Robbie Boy

Do you not think there is a connection that Jose is so reliant on Lingard yet we are struggling massively going forward?
I wouldn't bother with him; I've just noticed he made a similar comment in the James Rodriguez thread. He seems to go from thread-to-thread with those kind of retorts while making absolutely no constructive arguments of his own.

yamo123x

Don't like to bash any of our players in particular a home grown one, but Lingard is at best a squad player.
He can produce moments of quality like the cross for zlatan again wba, the run and finish against boro, volley away to Chelsea last year, cup final strIkes but his overall contribution and attacking threat does not warrant a regular starting place.

Imagine replacing him with someone like alexis Sanchez , who can bring goals creativity and is a genuine threat. In my opinion if we need to move on to the next level players like Jesse, fellaini, darmian, even Mata are just not good enough.

Jose seems to trust him though so what do I know . . . .

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
disagree with this.....

if Jose only plays him due to a lack of options why give him a new contract, a 100k a week one reportedly

he's made the team because of his work rate in my opinion which tells you all you need to know about Jose's negative mindset

I'd say a better defensive player like Ji Sung Park would have had better attacking productivity as well
Obviously he's a squad player, and the rest is negotiation. If he would want to be a starter, he'd need to show so much more quality which he has never shown yet

buckooo1978

Obviously he's a squad player, and the rest is negotiation. If he would want to be a starter, he'd need to show so much more quality which he has never shown yet
he will be safe this summer based on that new contract and the fact we will say goodbye to several others....

I think he needs to make an impact next year of its curtains for his United career - or at least it should be

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
he will be safe this summer based on that new contract and the fact we will say goodbye to several others....

I think he needs to make an impact next year of its curtains for his United career - or at least it should be
No one said he will be sold. It was made clear that his stats are horribly poor for an attacking player

luke511

It frustrates the hell out of me when I hear people saying Lingard's an adequate squad player.

Mata is the perfect squad player for a top team in my eyes. Someone who's always competing against the first starters, someone who can come on and change a game, someone that can fill in for an injury and still be a great benefit to the team.

Lingard doesn't fit into any of that criteria in my opinion. If we want to aspire to become a top team again, he is a shocking squad player to have.

Jaybomb

Why not play young instead? At least we know he can do something.
What does Young ever do, really? Unless you want him to cross balls into Fellaini's Afro all game.

Lingard has scored in our last 3 Wembley appearances so I fancy him to bag another if he's on. He's a big game player.

Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace

Oscie

Fully preparing myself for:

"Oh and I suppose Harrop was brilliant was he?"

At about quarter-to-five.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Best game in a while. No suprise really, he plays better when he has movement around him.

JoaquinJoaquin

His best half in ages. Seems to play alot better when the pressure is off, like today and the community shield.

JoaquinJoaquin

And the FA Cup Final?
He was a substitute that day, and his performance was OK. Wasn't anything extra ordinary that people rewriting history like to make it. His overall performance today and community shield have been good, not just goals.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Subbed before HT with Pogba. So he is starting the final then.

ariel

I thought he had a great game today.
His movement is special, and today it seemed to click, together with quick players around him.
I am probably a minority, but I love the lad.

Sylar

Glad to see him get minutes, some time to shine. Yeah, will be very very surprised if he doesnt start along with Rashford on Wednesday.

Ixion

One league goal all season. Needs to do better next season if he's going to start every week.

stevoc

As many have suspected looked better and more able to positively influence the game playing more centrally. If he plays thats where it needs to be and not on the wing.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

Him and Martial were night and day in terms of performance today.

If Jose's plan was to give the two a half each today to see who gets to start the final then Jesse wins hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.