4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

I'm not sure what he's meant to be good at for a winger. If that's where he's going to play then it isn't good enough. Doesn't beat players, cross particularly well or make any assists/goals. Think back to the action Tahith Chong made in the first pre season game. That is an example of proper wing play. Be decisive. Lingard just passes the responsibility on.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s just not a winger at all. He’s a great dribbler of the ball with great close control that can wreck havoc in the hole. The thing is that we don’t really have a position for him like that every game, so he’s left with two options. LW or RW. LW is clearly contractually binded to our charity case Sanchez. Leaves us with RW. Our RW position is basically a pseudo attacking midfielder role that must be voided in position at the demand of Lukaku whenever he chooses to bomb that channel. That means our RW role requires either Mata or Lingard seeing as neither Martial or Rashford can play our ‘RW’ role at all. Between Mata and Lingard... unfortunately for Mata it’s a landslide choice for Lingard. His pace with the ball is very unsettling to defences - therefore great for away games.

For those who feel conflicted about why our RW role is the way it is - well it’s a combination of many factors - it’s mainly due to the fact that Lukaku likes to bomb that wing himself and the fact we don’t have an actual winger that can play that role like Valencia used to.

As it is right now - I love what Lingard gives us.

Raven

I might be imagining this, but wasn't there a whole section of our fans, and potentially this forum, crying out for Park to be sold (like Lingard now)? I seem to remember him being labelled dead wood. I think all we can really determine from this exercise is how fickle and knee jerk fans are.

For what it's worth, I think the comparison between Park and Lingard is quite appropriate because they bring similar qualities to the team.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Kostov

He’s just not a winger at all. He’s a great dribbler of the ball with great close control that can wreck havoc in the hole. The thing is that we don’t really have a position for him like that every game, so he’s left with two options. LW or RW. LW is clearly contractually binded to our charity case Sanchez. Leaves us with RW. Our RW position is basically a pseudo attacking midfielder role that must be voided in position at the demand of Lukaku whenever he chooses to bomb that channel. That means our RW role requires either Mata or Lingard seeing as neither Martial or Rashford can play our ‘RW’ role at all. Between Mata and Lingard... unfortunately for Mata it’s a landslide choice for Lingard. His pace with the ball is very unsettling to defences - therefore great for away games.

For those who feel conflicted about why our RW role is the way it is - well it’s a combination of many factors - it’s mainly due to the fact that Lukaku likes to bomb that wing himself and the fact we don’t have an actual winger that can play that role like Valencia used to.

As it is right now - I love what Lingard gives us.
Don't you feel that's a bit of an exaggeration? Great dribbler of the ball with great close control? Lingard? Hazard is a great dribbler and has great close control, Mane is good dribbler and has good close control. Jesse Lingard is pretty average compared to that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I said he had Park like energy levels ie stamina. Nothing else. And people start discussing it as if I claimed they were the same player....

Also he did actually score some excellent goals last season.
People get a bit crazy when discussing home grown players. Things aren’t going as smooth as people want so we’re back to picking on specific players again rather than asking why the manager insists on playing him RW when it’s clear as day he’s not a winger. That being said he did create one humdinger of a cross to put one on a plate that Pogba somehow put straight at the keeper

UncleBob

I said he had Park like energy levels ie stamina. Nothing else. And people start discussing it as if I claimed they were the same player....

Also he did actually score some excellent goals last season.
I like how you've gone from "spent most of last season banging in screamers." to "he did actually score some excellent goals last season"

JoaquinJoaquin

I might be imagining this, but wasn't there a whole section of our fans, and potentially this forum, crying out for Park to be sold (like Lingard now)? I seem to remember him being labelled dead wood. I think all we can really determine from this exercise is how fickle and knee jerk fans are.

For what it's worth, I think the comparison between Park and Lingard is quite appropriate because they bring similar qualities to the team.
Towards the end of Park's time he did drop a level and his energy levels weren't at the same they were for years prior. So at that point I can imagine a few wanting him to be sold.

Park was much more consistent than Lingard FWIW. Park wouldn't have 1 good game followed by 5 rubbish ones like Lingard constantly does.

Ether

He's our Willian. Not a flair player, not somebody who is going to unlock a defense but someone with a set of qualities this manager covets: good in transitions, terrific work rate, tactically disciplined and able to pop up with a goal. Easy to see why he has Mourinho's trust, especially in the big games. His ceiling in terms of performance isn't as high as Martial or Rashford but he won't bottom out like those two when they struggle.

He may not be a world beater yet I have nothing but respect for Jesse. It was a hard slog for him from going on loan to the Championship multiple times but he finally worked his way up to a United and England regular. He's made the absolute most of his talent and should be an example to the current Academy lads.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Where are the goals? :(

Good player but part of his appeal was encompassing his work ethic with his eye for goal, was like a Griezmann lite. Hopefully will come scoring again soon.

SteveW

I like how you've gone from "spent most of last season banging in screamers." to "he did actually score some excellent goals last season"
I toned it back a little. Isn't that what you wanted? I don't see the issue. My point was he doesn't do nothing as the other poster was claiming. I think he scored around 15 goals. That' hardly doing nothing.

This pedantry gets pretty tiresome eventually.

Raven

Towards the end of Park's time he did drop a level and his energy levels weren't at the same they were for years prior. So at that point I can imagine a few wanting him to be sold.

Park was much more consistent than Lingard FWIW. Park wouldn't have 1 good game followed by 5 rubbish ones like Lingard constantly does.
As far as I recall, it wasn't just towards the end of his time here. People gave him grief for the exact same reason they abuse Lingard, ie, they aren't especially flashy and what they bring to the team isn't always obvious.

For what it's worth, we've played 5 games this season and Lingard has played well in every game bar Brighton. I think you need to watch Lingard more closely.

JoaquinJoaquin

As far as I recall, it wasn't just towards the end of his time here. People gave him grief for the exact same reason they abuse Lingard, ie, they aren't especially flashy and what they bring to the team isn't always obvious.

For what it's worth, we've played 5 games this season and Lingard has played well in every game bar Brighton. I think you need to watch Lingard more closely.
See, what you regard as playing well must be a complete different scale to what I regard as playing well if you think that. I don't think he has been particularly good in any of our games this season if truth be told. Average at best. Judging by everyone else I have spoken to and looking at his average rating of 5 / 10 on here, seems most agree with me.

UncleBob

I toned it back a little. Isn't that what you wanted? I don't see the issue. My point was he doesn't do nothing as the other poster was claiming. I think he scored around 15 goals. That' hardly doing nothing.

This pedantry gets pretty tiresome eventually.
Not sure why you're so defensive.

ash_86

Rashford should try and make Lingard position his own. He almost plays as a second striker which is exactly what Rashford looks to be doing good at.

Raven

See, what you regard as playing well must be a complete different scale to what I regard as playing well if you think that. I don't think he has been particularly good in any of our games this season if truth be told. Average at best. Judging by everyone else I have spoken to and looking at his average rating of 5 / 10 on here, seems most agree with me.
This proves my point exactly. Just because you don't appreciate what he brings to the team does not make him poor. I don't really see the point in debating this, clearly you don't recognise the importance of Lingard and are refusing to look harder, which means there is no reasoning with you.

By the way, popular opinion is a completely wrong way of measuring how right you are.

Alabaster Codify7

Don't you feel that's a bit of an exaggeration? Great dribbler of the ball with great close control? Lingard? Hazard is a great dribbler and has great close control, Mane is good dribbler and has good close control. Jesse Lingard is pretty average compared to that.
When it comes to football fans,the word 'great' has completely lost all meaning. it now means 'pretty good'

Kostov

When it comes to football fans,the word 'great' has completely lost all meaning. it now means 'pretty good'
He ain’t good at it, never mind pretty good or great.

This proves my point exactly. Just because you don't appreciate what he brings to the team does not make him poor. I don't really see the point in debating this, clearly you don't recognise the importance of Lingard and are refusing to look harder, which means there is no reasoning with you.

By the way, popular opinion is a completely wrong way of measuring how right you are.
I think you have very low expectations of a player that is supposed to create our attack. He has been average at best.

Raven

He ain’t good at it, never mind pretty good or great.

I think you have very low expectations of a player that is supposed to create our attack. He has been average at best.
I think you have me wrong. Yes I feel Lingard is a fantastic player. No I don't feel he should start as the main creator. I feel he should be used more tactically. Bringing him on when we need to close out a game and starting big games.

As it happens, I would like to start most games with Martial left, Sanchez right... at least try anyway.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Yes Lingard is a great dribbler, in the middle of the park/ behind the striker, he has also a great speed for the role there, he is average as a winger in both speed and dribbling. Mane is a great as a second striker, he's not really excellent dribbler and not better than Lingard, just has more speed and is more clinical and certainly used in more advanced role in a much more attacking system. Lingard is heavily misued as a RW, he's even way better on the left too. Play Lingard as a second striker, CAM in a attacking system and he will score you a lot of goals like last season, the problem is we have a ultra defensive manager who plays players out of position and can't get the best out of them..

So again Lingard has really good dribbling for his best positions, when he plays advanced central roles..

Kostov

Yes Lingard is a great dribbler, in the middle of the park/ behind the striker, he has also a great speed for the role there, he is average as a winger in both speed and dribbling. Mane is a great as a second striker, he's not really excellent dribbler and not better than Lingard, just has more speed and is more clinical and certainly used in more advanced role in a much more attacking system. Lingard is heavily misued as a RW, he's even way better on the left too. Play Lingard as a second striker, CAM in a attacking system and he will score you a lot of goals like last season, the problem is we have a ultra defensive manager who plays players out of position and can't get the best out of them..

So again Lingard has really good dribbling for his best positions, when he plays advanced central roles..
Running into space unchallenged is not really dribbling. I’ve seen very few times of Lingard actually dribble in tight space. And to compare him to Mane for example who can actually take the ball and beat defenders at speed is laughable. And yeah you are right, he is not as quick nor as good on the ball as the Senegalese.

Yes I agree he is a better player through the middle, yet his scoring is very hit and miss. Let’s not get over the board here. Lingard has had the season of his life under Jose. The guy is 26 almost, nothing to do with defensive tactics, he is just a limited footballer.

Andy_Cole

I like Lingard. I think of him as a Park. But the issue is playing 2 DMs and Lingard, reduces our attacking quality.

I’d like to see a midfield of Lingard Pogba and Fellaini, with a front three of Lukaku Rashford and Sanchez.

Not sure if it would happen.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Running into space unchallenged is not really dribbling. I’ve seen very few times of Lingard actually dribble in tight space. And to compare him to Mane for example who can actually take the ball and beat defenders at speed is laughable. And yeah you are right, he is not as quick nor as good on the ball as the Senegalese.

Yes I agree he is a better player through the middle, yet his scoring is very hit and miss. Let’s not get over the board here. Lingard has had the season of his life under Jose. The guy is 26 almost, nothing to do with defensive tactics, he is just a limited footballer.
no

Man Utd 1:1 Wolves

Djemba-Djemba

You shouldn't be going 17 games without a goal if you're an attacking player for Manchester United who regularly starts.

He had a great purple patch last season throughout December and January but it's increasingly clear that's all it was.

He's an average player.

Bojan11

Sanchez and Lukaku will get battered.

But this guy is the biggest fraud out of the lot. Constant backpasses. Mata ran more in behind when he came on than Lingard did all game. Just casually jogging.

JoaquinJoaquin

Needs to start delivering soon because its becoming a bit of a joke now. 17 games without a goal is a long time.

marktan

I'm still baffled that he regularly starts for us. Pep would've binned him out of City the day he walked in there if he played for them - Mahrez is a sub for them for christ sake.

I guess it's not that baffling when you consider that the rest of our attacking options are just as bad.

On Mourinho imo, how's he managed to go from having Milito/Sniejder/Eto, Ozil/ Di Maria / Benzema / Ronaldo, Hazard / Costa / Willian, to this.. just baffles me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lingard is not attacker. If he can't play in midfield and if we will not play with no10, we should sell him. This is not solution. He is doing nothing. Phil Jones can play on the wing like Lingard plays. Run- short pass-run-short pass- run- short pass; is this Man Utd attacking player? Pathetic

AndyJ1985

He's rubbish. He offers very little to attack; doesn't score or create enough. But the next time he scores it won't stop certain people from acting smug and pretending he's suddenly a great player.
Any other top European team would have shown him the door a long time ago. Why do we persist with these mediocre players and expect things to magically change?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I am at a loss as to why he’s still starting. Should have sold him in the summer after the World Cup. He epitomises everything that’s wrong with the club.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Appart from his long range shot in the 2nd, didn't do much. As hard as it is right now, I can see his qualities, but when they're only on display inconsistently during the season is that really good enough? I think not.

vangagal

No words can say how much i'd loathe him this season. Apart from running here and there i dont know what he's bring to this team. Ultimate average player with 100k/week to his pocket. Sums up United perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.