4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Lingard to Arsenal would be a really brilliant transfer.

Could push United onto another level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think the break could do him a world of good. It's been a mini reset for the lads without the distractions of going on holiday and "forgetting" about how the season went.

Hopefully Jesse has sorted his head out a little and gone back to the drawing board to see what he's doing differently.

Paul_Scholes18

That's because when we win, people give high points to everyone.
He has played well in some of our big wins. City,Spurs and Chelsea so that should improve the rank.

People might not expect too much from him from the bench too so when he does nothing they give a 5. Although he helped us vs Sheffield a lot.

Web of Bissaka

Saw Lingard's highlights in 2016/17 and 17/18.. he's actually that good!

It's like seeing two completely different players compare to now.

As long as he's playing here, hope he's back to his bloody best -- a top squad player.

mewnew11

Saw Lingard's highlights in 2016/17 and 17/18.. he's actually that good!

It's like seeing two completely different players compare to now.

As long as he's playing here, hope he's back to his bloody best -- a top squad player.
Dont watch highlighst. Watch complete games and you will see how many times he loses possession or passes sideways and plays safe.
He is one of the reasons why our attack has been so blunt in the past

Craig Ward

Dont watch highlighst. Watch complete games and you will see how many times he loses possession or passes sideways and plays safe.
He is one of the reasons why our attack has been so blunt in the past
Agree, he's so wasteful and afraid of the ball. Half the time he doesnt move into space to get himself in good positions, and that's supposedly one of his better qualities.

I dont think i've ever seen such a limited player be part of out first team squad for as long as he has. Truly awful player

Dante

Average bang
Agree, he's so wasteful and afraid of the ball. Half the time he doesnt move into space to get himself in good positions, and that's supposedly one of his better qualities.

I dont think i've ever seen such a limited player be part of out first team squad for as long as he has. Truly awful player
Nonsense.

crossy1686

career ending
Nonsense.
To be fair, I kind of agree with that poster. When we lost/dropped points to Watford, he played and his movement was appalling. McTomminay took a lot of heat in here after that game for not being good enough but every time he won the ball Lingard never gave him the option for a pass so he either got caught in possession or gave a bad pass that lost possession. If you watched Lingard that game he spent all his time lurking behind Doucoure or making lazy runs into occupied territory. He never once came short or found space to offer an option.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lingard is a decent PL level player.

In 17-18 he was brimming with confidence so he was performing well above his base level.

In 19-20 he's very low on confidence so he's performing well below his base level.

The real Jesse Lingard is the guy we saw in 15-16, 16-17 & 18-19. He's an ok player. He isn't good enough to be at United in anything more than a fringe role. He should have never been a regular starter.

Posh Red

Yeah I never understood all the praise he gets for his ‘world class off-the-ball movement’. Maybe only football Einstein’s can see it...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He isn't good enough to be at United in anything more than a fringe role. He should have never been a regular starter.
I would say that the modern Lingard isnt good enough to be at United - full stop.

The new Post Covid market might mean he is not going anywhere however. I think he would drop off the radar if he left. Like Welbeck and Cleverly etc , and he knows it.
He would be happy to stay in a fringe role IMO.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would say that the modern Lingard isnt good enough to be at United - full stop.

The new Post Covid market might mean he is not going anywhere however. I think he would drop off the radar if he left. Like Welbeck and Cleverly etc , and he knows it.
He would be happy to stay in a fringe role IMO.
On current form you’re absolutely right. He’s been outright atrocious for 12 months now. It will be incredibly disheartening if he’s still starting some games next season.

At his best he’s good enough to be a 15-20 games a season bench player, majority being cup games & cameos in league games if we need fresh legs

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah I never understood all the praise he gets for his ‘world class off-the-ball movement’. Maybe only football Einstein’s can see it...
He make movements to confuse the defenders and open up space for his teammates. All comes down from Oles instructions ;).

Fosu-Mens

He can be a key player once Bruno gets injured and Pogba is out too.
With doing what? Pressing the GK? Hiding behind players?

If the rest of the players on our team were good passers, having Lingard attempting to create space would be manageable and even usefull against some teams... We do not. And with two of our best passers out, in your scenario, in Bruno and PP, we would we add a player with Lingard's ability on the ball in the team?

I agree that we should always try to give the benefit of the doubt to the players in our team, but there is a limit...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d take him over parreria on the team any day

Other than that, we’ve now got a squad where he’s no longer a first team starter

Paul_Scholes18

With doing what? Pressing the GK? Hiding behind players?

If the rest of the players on our team were good passers, having Lingard attempting to create space would be manageable and even usefull against some teams... We do not. And with two of our best passers out, in your scenario, in Bruno and PP, we would we add a player with Lingard's ability on the ball in the team?

I agree that we should always try to give the benefit of the doubt to the players in our team, but there is a limit...
Mainly with the press and fast transitions. He is not the most creative player though so Ole will probably not play him vs the weaker teams much that park the bus.
Come from the bench and help us counter attack near the end is what I would use him for.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
On current form you’re absolutely right. He’s been outright atrocious for 12 months now. It will be incredibly disheartening if he’s still starting some games next season.

At his best he’s good enough to be a 15-20 games a season bench player, majority being cup games & cameos in league games if we need fresh legs
There is a myth about squad players among United fans; if you are not good enough for first 11, you are good to play against minor teams. Point of having good backup player is that he can make a difference against smaller teams. Lingard plays the same against City and Derby. In cup games against minor teams he provides again nothing. Ighalo, Pereira or James are squad players for that kind of games. I am not a fan of James or Pereira but in minor games they stand out. Lingard doesn't. He again just runs around and plays short passes.

Strats

5 subs and he did not come on. Hope it stays like this for the rest of the season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Apparently didn’t train yesterday. Hasn’t featured yet since restart, little info about injury. Been talk about him being off, perhaps things are happening behind the scenes?

Pace Abuser

Ah, the 'smiley face". The key to being United class. First Martial, now Lingard - hatrick incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.