4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

To think there were people who actually thought that he'd played well against Lask and had earned himself a start last night. :lol:

At least Ole wasn't one of them.

Godfather

We pretty much stopped playing when he came on so he couldn't really show himself. Was out sprinted on one occasion against tired CB legs though.

GiddyUp

James has been crap for a long while too.
In fairness he has taken a massive jump in his career as well as losing his father, what a crazy year for him and the club. I'm finding it hard to judge him on this fecked up season.
Lingard really has phoned it in for the majority of his time here though. We don't know Dan James ceiling at this point, we do with Lingard. I'm very intrigued as to how Lingard will perform at another club where he doesn't have the option of being the sidekick, the scamp.

What will his next club be looking for? Surely not a cross country runner or a best mate for their bigger profile players. They'll want a man who should be in their footballing prime age wise who has been around a huge club and big players all his life.
His brand won't mean shit anywhere else so he's got to go prove it on the pitch where he will more than likely go down the same career path as Welbeck or Cleverley. I think he knows that too which will most likely mean no England.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when he is talking to his agent, I'd say there's a lot of smoke filled arses in the room. Outside of his family issues and covid related obstacles a move to the continent maybe very beneficial for him.

Paul_Scholes18

To think there were people who actually thought that he'd played well against Lask and had earned himself a start last night. :lol:

At least Ole wasn't one of them.
Bruno was poor though. Lingard could have produced more yesterday.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I like how he's pressing keeper and defenders while overall pressing from whole United was almost unexistent yesterday.

Definitely helped against Leicester who also could surprise us... so at least he's trying something.

Matriac

Dillon Hoogewerf is calling out for us to support Jesse instead of slamming him on social media. Dillon who could potentially get some of Lingard's minutes, though only 17 so would of course not play a lot yet, especially towards the end of season. But I mention it since some complain we kept playing Jesse instead of focusing on youth as some claim we don't.

I of course understand that if a player isn't good enough they should be moved on after enough chances. I just like to see the mentality and team-spirit in the squad today to stand behind each other.

https://i.redd.it/n9vihzjjatg51.jpg

Dante

Average bang
Lingard has only scored twice as many goals as Pogba this season. But in Jesse's defence, Pogba's played a lot more minutes.

jem

Dillon Hoogewerf is calling out for us to support Jesse instead of slamming him on social media. Dillon who could potentially get some of Lingard's minutes, though only 17 so would of course not play a lot yet, especially towards the end of season. But I mention it since some complain we kept playing Jesse instead of focusing on youth as some claim we don't.

I of course understand that if a player isn't good enough they should be moved on after enough chances. I just like to see the mentality and team-spirit in the squad today to stand behind each other.

That's great form from Hoogewerf. I think it's time Lingard moved on, but he's obviously a popular figure at the club.

FujiVice

I just read that he lives with his daughter, his two teenage sisters, and is looking after his mother and his grandmother who are both ill. He's having a real bad time of it at the minute. Solksjaer is never going to sell him with that going on. Because he actually cares for him as a person, not some number on the back of a shirt that our supporters like to abuse for some reason.

Blood Mage

He's clearly a popular figure in the dressing room, and is best mates with our most valuable player, so selling him could cause problems. He should be made to take a pay cut though.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Why are they all pretending like this is the reason he's been so bad for the past 2 seasons?
Even in his best season 2017-18 when he scored 8 goals and amassed 5 assists (1833min played or around 20.3games in EPL) he was so bad at times and inconsistent as feck. At one point he went 9 games without and assist or goal in all comps. If we have any hope of challenging for the title these types of players NEED to go. Enough with this Chairty UTD bs stuff.

Clique

He's clearly a popular figure in the dressing room, and is best mates with our most valuable player, so selling him could cause problems. He should be made to take a pay cut though.
I have an honest question, and please don't take this the wrong way, as long as you agree on keeping him - how does it matter what we pay to Jesse?

For the sake of his own career and mental peace, I'd encourage him to move. If he agrees to a bit-part role with minutes trickling in like it has since the start of the year - we're not losing anything by just maintaining his contract.

red4ever 79

I have an honest question, and please don't take this the wrong way, as long as you agree on keeping him - how does it matter what we pay to Jesse?

For the sake of his own career and mental peace, I'd encourage him to move. If he agrees to a bit-part role with minutes trickling in like it has since the start of the year - we're not losing anything by just maintaining his contract.
No we have to keep him, he is friendly in the dressing room.

Red00012

I just read that he lives with his daughter, his two teenage sisters, and is looking after his mother and his grandmother who are both ill. He's having a real bad time of it at the minute. Solksjaer is never going to sell him with that going on. Because he actually cares for him as a person, not some number on the back of a shirt that our supporters like to abuse for some reason.
This is a well known fact for over 12 months.

E-mal

How about that MVP pay his wages?
We are not a charity, he needs to go for the club to make progress.
So does the like of Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Smalling and Mata.
We won't make progress if we have this lots on the rota.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

What does it matter what we pay him?
Because we don't have unlimited funds and tying up 5-6m on him eats into money we can use better?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This isn't pub football. You don't just keep someone hanging around cos they're mates with someone.

Amazing.

iHicksy

At the end of the day as sad as it is that Jesse is having a hard time with his family he wasn't having a hard time with them 2 years ago and he was still no where near good enough. The simple truth is his personal circumstances shouldn't dictate if we keep him around. He's had 100k a week off united for god knows how long, it's not like he's being made redundant. He's not going to struggle for money. He's going to be sold to another club and likely earn another 100k a week with signing on fees. He and his family aren't being made homeless. He needs to go.

Paul_Scholes18

Next season could be his year to bounce back. He has shown recent form. I would keep him in these strange times. I don't trust us to manage thiis market well.

Clique

What does it matter what we pay him?
Because we don't have unlimited funds and tying up 5-6m on him eats into money we can use better?!
Well. Opportunity cost of that 5-6m isn't that high tbh. Its not like we'll stop signing someone because we have that wage on our books.

Honestly, why would he agree to a wage cut? The club saw it fit to give him a 100K per week contract, he'll see it through. I am by no means suggesting we give him a new contract.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well. Opportunity cost of that 5-6m isn't that high tbh. Its not like we'll stop signing someone because we have that wage on our books.

Honestly, why would he agree to a wage cut? The club saw it fit to give him a 100K per week contract, he'll see it through. I am by no means suggesting we give him a new contract.
I think he has one year left, so i certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a new one come.
I certainly can't see anyone ponying up any worthwhile fee.
We'll jones him up to a long term deal I'm sure.

Red00012

One of the biggest clubs in the world keeping a player that isn’t anywhere near good enough can stay if he takes a pay cut because he’s good friends with one of our players and good crack in the dressing room .

Red00012

I think he has one year left, so i certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a new one come.
One year with the Optional +1 as well

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At the end of the day as sad as it is that Jesse is having a hard time with his family he wasn't having a hard time with them 2 years ago and he was still no where near good enough. The simple truth is his personal circumstances shouldn't dictate if we keep him around. He's had 100k a week off united for god knows how long, it's not like he's being made redundant. He's not going to struggle for money. He's going to be sold to another club and likely earn another 100k a week with signing on fees. He and his family aren't being made homeless. He needs to go.
Yep I'm afraid this is true.
He's not some 12k admin worker in Burnley scraping by.

He can buy a mansion anywhere he moves to and give that family the best of everything.

I think he'll stay though and have a Mata type role.

Clique

Think its a 1+1 (club option). We'll probably use that option.

Hand on heart, I'd rather give his playing time to someone from our youth side. But not really too bothered if he doesn't stink up the place on the pitch.

RedTiger

Half mast
Some people forget we gave him the 100k contract once he became an established England International. Obviously his form has nosedived since the 2018 WC and its stupid to put that down to him being a crap player, the more logical explanation is that outside factors have contributed to his loss of form and confidence. The best thing in my opinion is that he sees out the remainder of his contract with us while we support him as a club and fans while he regains his confidence.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Some people forget we gave him the 100k contract once he became an established England International. Obviously his form has nosedived since the 2018 WC and its stupid to put that down to him being a crap player, the more logical explanation is that outside factors have contributed to his loss of form and confidence. The best thing in my opinion is that he sees out the remainder of his contract with us while we support him as a club and fans while he regains his confidence.
Nope
He got the contract in April of 2017
At the time he barely played games for the National Team
With the biggest FU being that he contributed 0G 0A in 15 games for UTD at the time yet got a massive payrise.

Clique

Nothing against you, but as @GifLord just proved - that contract wasn't really backed by performances on the pitch. That's fine though, Club saw it fit to give him that contract - no one should have an issue with it.
youth
I do however want to understand your opinion on Lingard's best position and best quality (and I have no ulterior motive in asking this, I truly want to understand your POV). In good faith, I've always rooted for the folks coming through our ranks even when they've not done great in their overall career. Macheda, Possebon, Davide Petrucci come to mind. But Lingard at 27 hasn't figured his best role and position and frankly I don't see how he would be a starter for the club given what he's shown so far.

RedTiger

Half mast
Nothing against you, but as @GifLord just proved - that contract wasn't really backed by performances on the pitch. That's fine though, Club saw it fit to give him that contract - no one should have an issue with it.
youth
I do however want to understand your opinion on Lingard's best position and best quality (and I have no ulterior motive in asking this, I truly want to understand your POV). In good faith, I've always rooted for the folks coming through our ranks even when they've not done great in their overall career. Macheda, Possebon, Davide Petrucci come to mind. But Lingard at 27 hasn't figured his best role and position and frankly I don't see how he would be a starter for the club given what he's shown so far.
I'll be honest. I didn't rate him as a stand out youth prospect and saw him as a wide right player 1 level below welbeck. I think the only reason I "liked" him was because he showed some zip and verve in a lethargic LVG side.

As to his best position, your guess is as good as mine. At this moment I wouldn't mind him staying here as a 3rd choice LW, RW and 10.

Its not that a have a soft spot for him, rather I can't stand the ridicule he gets from our fans.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Thinking about all the time he was out of the first XI, between him and Ole I do wonder why he wasn't exclusively training to play on the right side. I feel like a whole year of that would have to at least slightly improve performances out there.

edgecutter

The same Dilion Hoogewerf that made fun of Maguire for the Spurs goal a few months ago? Jesse is obviously going through a hard time, but United isn't a charity. If you are not pulling your weight you need to be let go. Mane is on 150K a week and contributed 18 goals and 7 assists, Jesse is on 100k and was lucky to get 1 goal (granted he did play less games than Mane) this shows that he shouldn't be anywhere near a top side, nor be anywhere near the wages he is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.