4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

Not hype from the fans but from the manager himself instead of telling them to cut the shit out he is overindulging them and this is hurting Rashford in particular. I don't think any other manager would tolerate Rashford playing with his head down and ruining offensive moves by taking shots from ridiculous angles or the amount of times Lingard loses possession due to poor touches and things like that.
Oh I quite agree. It looks like Ole, just like Jose, is overattached to players he’s worked with successfully in the past.

AneRu

Oh I quite agree. It looks like Ole, just like Jose, is overattached to players he’s worked with successfully in the past.
Yep didn't he fill up Cardiff with former United reserves who didn't amount to much? I think the structural issues at United will always render the club vulnerable to managerial whims and will prove to be really damaging. I'd imagine that if Pep displayed similar favouritism/weaknesses their DOF would find ways to have a word and help him take a look at himself.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Then there are idiots on here who serve up excuses for this fraud of a player. No wonder he is milking out everything from "Manchester United player" tag with his clothing line etc.

0.012% footballing talent.

Revaulx

Yep didn't he fill up Cardiff with former United reserves who didn't amount to much? I think the structural issues at United will always render the club vulnerable to managerial whims and will prove to be really damaging. I'd imagine that if Pep displayed similar favouritism/weaknesses their DOF would find ways to have a word and help him take a look at himself.
Absolutely. It’s an issue that’s by no means confined to Ole.

I’m far from sold on Pochettino, but if he did come to United and insisted on bringing half his Spurs team with him (as several on the Caf have advocated) I would be really disappointed in him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
"Average rating - 3.8; Your rating - 3.8", him and Mata are having one of the worst season I have ever seen from a professional player. Absolute shambles that these 2 are our main number 10 options. :houllier:
I'm pretty sure Pereira has overtaken both of them now. He hasn't been all that great himself, but he's been comfortably better than the other two of them (and he actually seems to be improving with more games). Ole has gotten a fair bit of stick about playing the two of them, but this season at least I've felt that he hasn't been happy with either of them. He just felt that he didn't have any other options so kept alternating them in the hope that one would finally step up. Pereira has now given him that other option so I reckon he'll stay in the starting line-up for now at least.

mewnew11

At the end of last season when United were losing game after game with Rashy and lingy heading the attack. Ole came out and said that he needed a preseason with the players and that the United fans wanted to see Rashford and Lingard chasing down opponents. I couldn't believe my ears when he said that.

It's like he is obvilious to the game happening right in front of him. As long as rashy and lingy keep running and chasing people ole will be happy. Scoring or creating goals is secondary to him.

He'sRaldo

This right here is why we're not scoring goals. Look at that appalling lack of movement and desire from our forwards. That would have been a tap in.

It's just baffling, as a Premier League player you don't even need someone to tell you in training to make that run. Is this the return we're getting for paying huge wages to our forwards?

AshRK

The new Lukaku.
I never understood our fans ignorance and arrogance towards Lukaku. He was twice or thrice the player lingard could ever be or was ever. Lukaku may not have the greatest touch or was not the most silkiest player but the guy used to score goals. Lingard never did that and will never do that. Not replacing lukaku is one of the dumbest thing this board could have done.

MrBest

I mean, like, the guy has played 177 times for us. If that does not make you laugh then nothing will! Should be back up to the bench at most.

billybee99

Indeed. Rashford gets a lot of stick on here for being selfish and “brainless” in his play; surely issues that could be addressed if he were part of a more structured set-up that wasn’t dependent on moments of individual brilliance. James has presumably benefited from that at Swansea under Potter and I won’t be surprised if his effectiveness drops off at United. It’s a good job he seems to have the mental fortitude to keep trying.

I don’t think Lingard has ever been hyped up really. Managers have liked him for the reasons I mentioned rather than for any particular brilliance on his part. He’s always been hated (no that isn’t too strong a word) by a small number on here; what I find annoying is that they’ve been joined by the “always said he was crap” brigade that invariably forms whenever a player loses form.

None of this changes the fact that Lingard has been really terrible for months now. A bit of perspective is needed though.
This is not a loss of form; this is who he is. That 8 game purple patch is the anomaly; not this past 10 months. We know this because, outside of that purple patch, his numbers are embarrassingly poor. Outside of the month of December, he literally does not score. I would love someone to post his goals by month stats for his entire career at United; it is shocking; he scores a few goals every December and then goes the rest of the year without anything.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This right here is why we're not scoring goals. Look at that appalling lack of movement and desire from our forwards. That would have been a tap in.

It's just baffling, as a Premier League player you don't even need someone to tell you in training to make that run. Is this the return we're getting for paying huge wages to our forwards?
Rashford did have good off the ball movement for the Liverpool goal but here , there isn't even a hint of a run. He needs to gamble more like that, players have been scoring lots of goals like that

He'sRaldo

Rashford did have good off the ball movement for the Liverpool goal but here , there isn't even a hint of a run. He needs to gamble more like that, players have been scoring lots of goals like that
This isn't even about movement, every forward knows to make that run, from Premier League down to Sunday League. Why on earth are both Lingard and Rashford not moving at all?? It's infuriating. Dan James could have gotten a lot more assists this season, and we could have scored a lot more goals.

We can talk all we want about system and style of play but if your forwards aren't making those kinds of runs then they are absolutely the first to be blamed for lack of goals. And that isn't an vindication of Ole, but a massive criticism of the forwards. They display absolutely no desire to score (unless it's against a "big team" to prove themselves) nor hunger for their place.

Backrow Singer

He’s just one of a few. It find it awkward to be honest because it always feels like at some stage, he’s going to either score (it’s the season for Christmas miracles soon after all) or have a half decent game and I can just picture the managers smirk on the touchline giving it an ‘I told you so’. It happened last season on here when he had a decent game against Cardiff or someone and we get a whole bunch of posters coming on telling us how wrong we all were to criticise him.

There just seems to be that divide at the minute, there seems to be so many little agendas going on.

Consistency just doesn’t exist at this club any more. Is he ever going to turn out 8/10 performances every week? No. So that’s it for me, he needs to be replaced.

In terms of the other points that are being made, at times football is unstructured and to win trophies consistently you need to be able to play unstructured football and to be able to make and execute good decisions when the game breaks open. When I watch games back, you see little opportunities being created but the cross is poor, the player passes the ball to the wrong man, the first touch is poor and the chance is gone. We could have a more ‘structured set up’ but even within that, you still need to have players to finish those opportunities off and we just don’t have that quality.

Last edited:

kouroux

This is less about movement, every forward knows to make that run, from Premier League down to Sunday League. Why on earth are both Lingard and Rashford not moving at all?? It's infuriating. Dan James could have gotten a lot more assists this season, and we could have scored a lot more goals.

We can talk all we want about system and style of play but if your forwards aren't making those kinds of runs then they are absolutely the first to be blamed for lack of goals. And that isn't an vindication of Ole, but a massive criticism of the forwards.
They know but sometimes they don't, ours defo don't it enough. Like you said, it can only increase our chances of scoring

He'sRaldo

They know but sometimes they don't, ours defo don't it enough. Like you said, it can only increase our chances of scoring
It's unforgivable to me, if you can't be arsed as a Man Utd forward to make those runs then sorry you're not ready to play for us. If Ole is going then a slew of people, players and otherwise, have to leave with him. Or else what's the point? They'll display the same attitude for the next manager and blame it all on him.

I usually don't post in frustration but at this point I'm just tired of it.

kouroux

It's unforgivable to me, if you can't be arsed as a Man Utd forward to make those runs then sorry you're not ready to play for us. If Ole is going then a slew of people, players and otherwise, have to leave with him. Or else what's the point? They'll display the same attitude for the next manager and blame it all on him.

I usually don't post in frustration but at this point I'm just tired of it.
Some players have it naturally but I believe this particular aspect can easily be coached, it's not tough to recognize a situation where a teammate is about to cross it and even cross it low. With repetitive coaching, these situations should be automatic, it's all about increasing the odds

iHicksy

Jessie Lingard's PL stats. Primary played as a number 10 or right sided forward...who lets face it, pretty much plays inside as a number 10.

117 Premier league Appearances - 10 Assists. 17 goals. An assist every 11.7 games and a goal every 6.8 games. That's 3 assists per season in the prem.

Please, please stop defending this fraud. He's absolutely stealing a place in the squad. He wouldn't get into the Watford or Villa teams. Let alone, being a starter in one of the most critical positions in modern football.

Kevin De Bryune 54 Assists in 126 games. 25 goals. An assist every 2.3 games. Yeah he;s in a better team, so let's take a look at someone who plays in the same team as Jessie shall we?
Paul Pogba 25 assists in 95 games, an assist every 3.8 games. 24 goals, a goal every 3.9 games. From a player playing much, much deeper.
Jessie Lingard...An assist every 11.7 games and a goal every 6.8 games.

He'sRaldo

Some players have it naturally but I believe this particular aspect can easily be coached, it's not tough to recognize a situation where a teammate is about to cross it and even cross it low. With repetitive coaching, these situations should be automatic, it's all about increasing the odds
It's less about coaching and more about mindset.

Look at it like this. Rashford and Lingard can't dribble. They can't play make. Can't hold up the ball. Can't thread through-balls or switch play. Can't cross or pass. Not the best tacklers. Their main strengths are attitude, work rate, physicality, movement, and desire. That's what they contribute to the team.

Now with that in mind, they can't even do the only thing they are able to do for the team, make runs and cause chaos in the box. So why exactly are they playing? Have they even asked themselves this? Where's the introspection? Closing down the other team defensively and mindlessly isn't enough.

That situation was a potential 3v4 in the box, which Rashford and Lingard turned into a 1v4. If you need to be coached to take advantage of a potential 3v4 against a Serbian 5th placed team, then you're not a United forward sorry.

Chairman Steve

He is kinda the epitome of post SAF United. Living off of hype, commercial recognition but actually not that great on the pitch.

kouroux

It's less about coaching and more about mindset.

Look at it like this. Rashford and Lingard can't dribble. They can't play make. Can't hold up the ball. Can't thread throughballs or switch play. Not the best tacklers. Their main strengths are attitude, work rate, physicality, and movement. That's what they contribute to the team.

Now with that in mind, they can't even do the only thing they are able to do for the team, make runs and cause chaos in the box. So why exactly are they playing? Have they even asked themselves this? Where's the introspection? Closing down the other team defensively and mindlessly isn't enough.

That situation was a potential 3v4 in the box, which Rashford and Lingard turned into a 1v4. If you need to be coached to take advantage of a potential 3v4 against a Serbian 4th placed team, then you're not a United forward sorry.
I definitely agree with your general sentiment. I still think there is hope yet for Rashford as he is much younger, even if he's shown it in few instances, he can have good movement in and around the box. That's why I hope with better coaching, someone firm who would bring Rashford down to Earth, he can become a better and consistent player.

Lingard is a lost cause for me who has enabled to do what he wants at the club basically. He isn't getting sold, he doesn't seem to bother much when he is benched.
He is living la vida loca at this club

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I never understood our fans ignorance and arrogance towards Lukaku. He was twice or thrice the player lingard could ever be or was ever. Lukaku may not have the greatest touch or was not the most silkiest player but the guy used to score goals. Lingard never did that and will never do that. Not replacing lukaku is one of the dumbest thing this board could have done.
Don't know if you have ever read my other posts about Lukaku, I pretty much agree with you. It's not arrogance nor ignorance, those gifs simply reminded me of Lukaku. The way Lingard kept failing to control the ball or overhit passes. Pretty sure you can see the similarity.

Irwin99

I think he's taken on board the criticism over the summer but it's actually made him worse. He was never first team quality before but he could at least control a football at times last year.

He'sRaldo

I definitely agree with your general sentiment. I still think there is hope yet for Rashford as he is much younger, even if he's shown it in few instances, he can have good movement in and around the box. That's why I hope with better coaching, someone firm who would bring Rashford down to Earth, he can become a better and consistent player.

Lingard is a lost cause for me who has enabled to do what he wants at the club basically. He isn't getting sold, he doesn't seem to bother much when he is benched.
He is living la vida loca at this club
If it was up to me there wouldn't be hope for either of them.

In my opinion, now more than ever is the time to be ruthless and disregard any kind of sentimentality. Former player, United legend, academy graduate, young lad, good attitude, nice guy, loves the club, etc. Disregard all of it.

The only thing that should matter from now on is standards, from top to bottom. Or else complacency will breed due to whatever sentimental statuses are assigned. Coasting must not be tolerated anymore, contribution should be all that matters. With the wages we pay it should be a given anyway.

Last edited:

MadDogg

This is not a loss of form; this is who he is. That 8 game purple patch is the anomaly; not this past 10 months. We know this because, outside of that purple patch, his numbers are embarrassingly poor. Outside of the month of December, he literally does not score. I would love someone to post his goals by month stats for his entire career at United; it is shocking; he scores a few goals every December and then goes the rest of the year without anything.
This season has been by far the worst he's ever played since he came into the first team. While his stats have always been poor and he really shouldn't have been a starter for us, he generally did bring something to the team and it was noticeable that quite often the team as a whole played better when he was in there (remember his competition wasn't exactly great). But this season he has been atrocious. Not sure if there is something going on with him or if it's just a 'normal' run of terrible form, but it's far worse than he's ever been before. Right from preseason he was noticeably struggling, and I remember one of the matches (Leeds I think) was by far the worst match he's ever had.

luke511

This season has been by far the worst he's ever played since he came into the first team. While his stats have always been poor and he really shouldn't have been a starter for us, he generally did bring something to the team and it was noticeable that quite often the team as a whole played better when he was in there (remember his competition wasn't exactly great). But this season he has been atrocious. Not sure if there is something going on with him or if it's just a 'normal' run of terrible form, but it's far worse than he's ever been before. Right from preseason he was noticeably struggling, and I remember one of the matches (Leeds I think) was by far the worst match he's ever had.
Bollocks, when has this been the case?

MadDogg

Bollocks, when has this been the case?
For most of his time since coming into the first team it's been Lingard and Mata fighting it out for that spot. Is it really that hard to believe that quite often Lingard has been better (both individually and for the team)? Sadly, I'd say Lingard has probably had the edge more often than not. His movement (back when he actually did have decent movement) and pressing ability often helped the team more than Mata who wasn't providing anything at all.

arthurka

I have defended him in here many times but it is impossible to do anymore. He is a youth product but that's about it.

I want to give a huge shout out to @GifLord for being the Lord of GIFs once more.

Revaulx

You haven’t read the whole thread :)

My initial post was in response to someone saying we should all be nice about Jesse because Jose played him a lot. I pointed out that he did so because of his work rate and ability to carry out instructions, with the occasional goal and assist on top. Those qualities have now completely deserted him.

I am well aware that his personal stats have never been good, other than that one month.

AshRK

Don't know if you have ever read my other posts about Lukaku, I pretty much agree with you. It's not arrogance nor ignorance, those gifs simply reminded me of Lukaku. The way Lingard kept failing to control the ball or overhit passes. Pretty sure you can see the similarity.
I was not Lukaku's biggest fan but even after his comical touches he used to get us goals which none of the other players atm are able to replicate. So to compare lingard's inefficiency with Lukaku is harsh on the belgium.

manunited1919

The fact that he continues to start games is a clear indicator of how far our standards have fallen.

It's a surprise if he does anything dangerous or productive, whereas at United it should be an expectation that your front 3 or 4 will worry the opposition. Truly saddens me.
I actually see it as a sign not just of our standards falling, but more importantly a sign that our manager does not measure up to the job. Lingard should be sent to the reserves and should not be allowed to train with the first team. Much better players have suffered that fate.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Looks like setting up his 'brand' as a fall back was a good idea.

Oh, no, wait... Thats lost him £210k in its first year of trading, d'oh!

Anustart89

It would've been sad at this point, if not for the fact that this shit is going to be rewarded with a contract that's going to keep him at the club well into his thirties.

DoomSlayer

We immediately became worse when he came on. One good attempt at their goal but was absolutely anonymous. No dynamism to his play at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.