Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was pretty good but it's fair to say that he's the weak link of that attack with Rashford and Martial being it's most vital components and James being a useful one.

I'd still pick him over Periera anyday.

PaulRich

Fair play to him he had a good game - hes still the squad member that plays second fiddle for me, more so than Pereira - we do need a 1st choice upgrade though.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
His attacking quality is non-existant but what you do get with him is a lot of work rate, which helps us counter-attack / defend deep. That's my worry with putting Pogba into the number 10 position, he doesn't work half as hard, though his attacking quality is more then double Lingards. If we had someone like Mane or Bernado who work hard and have quality that'd have been ideal.
Which is why I think that Pogba should only start for the games that "we are supposed to win" where our opponent sits back and we need someone to unlock a tightly packed defense. But in the big games, I would have Pogba as an option off the bench...

VP

Much better but still the weakest player in the attacking quartet. IF we had bit more quality in his position, we'd have been 4-0 up by halftime yesterday.

Milo2035

Why is everyone saying he should be replaced by Pogba ? In Ole's formation number 10 need to press and Pogba can't do that. When Pogba's back it will be Rashford + Lingard + either Martial or James upfront.

Hughes35

Was decent today. Really good first half, pretty quiet in the second.

Always has been a good squad player but still shouldn't play as many games as he does.

Mctom + Fred with Pogba, James, Martial and Rashford infront of them looks really good on paper. Hope we actually see it at some point.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why is everyone saying he should be replaced by Pogba ? In Ole's formation number 10 need to press and Pogba can't do that. When Pogba's back it will be Rashford + Lingard + either Martial or James upfront.
Why will James play upfront? He didn't play for us and he is by far our best RW.

When Pogba is back, it will be either as CM or AM. Lingard will lose his position.

Shimo

I've been saying Pogba should come right back into the side when fit and ready and I think that remains true for most of the games. The guy is phenomenal player and we've seen his ability to create for others and also himself. He'd also no longer be 50-60 yards away from goal, not having to do a lot of the running that was required of him when playing in a 2.

But, speaking of running and today's game, I was asking the question, in games like today against City and other teams where we will cede a lot of possession but, have lots of space behind, is a player like Lingard a better option? Do you leave the one player that is seen as a world class talent out of your starting XI? Keeping in mind that in addition to the attacking duties, Lingard's role today and in other games is to to harass and stay on players like Rodri so they don't get to create from their deeper spots.

As for Lingard today, just finished watching the game in full and he had a great game. There was a ball he took around the 1:30 mark into the game, the touch and turn around midfield was fantastic. So was the ball to release Fred for Rashford missed chance and off course all the pressing and covering he did. He has had a shit year but, if he can even give us a good purple patch for a month or two, that would be fantastic.

EwanI Ted

Pretty good game yesterday to be fair, but still, there's a clear drop off in quality when you look at Martial, Rashford and James, and then turn to Lingard. Even yesterday in a half decent performance it was the same story - good movement and good ideas, but he lacks the first touch, passing ability or eye for goal to make anything out of it.

LoneStar

I've been constantly giving him shite for a while now, but credit where it's due. He played well today, and was an integral part of our counters. Good workrate as well.

No problem with him as a backup 10, and he usually plays better in the big games.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He found space at will yesterday. Say what you want about Lingard but his movement really is excellent. He was always the first outlet when we were looking to break and just allowed us to bypass City's press.

Fracture90

Mixed bag of the performance. On one side he gave his usual effort, high intensity, running and helping out defensively, but on the other side, he still has no confidence/skill to attempt a forward pass when we're on the break, it's so frustrating to see him dilly dallying on the ball for those vital seconds because he doesn't have it in him to send a useful pass.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I've been constantly giving him shite for a while now, but credit where it's due. He played well today, and was an integral part of our counters. Good workrate as well.

No problem with him as a backup 10, and he usually plays better in the big games.
Back up to who?

Dinghy

Loved that performance. Don't think we'd have won that with Pereira starting.

He'sRaldo

Which is why I think that Pogba should only start for the games that "we are supposed to win" where our opponent sits back and we need someone to unlock a tightly packed defense. But in the big games, I would have Pogba as an option off the bench...
If Pogba was to start the last game, City wouldn't push as high up because they know the damage he would do; obviously they don't respect Lingard that much.

Having Pogba (and other similar level players) on the pitch is better for the big games, and all games in general, as we have more control and fear factor as a knock-on effect of their very high level.

Same way everyone fears Liverpool's front 3 so they don't attack in numbers anymore.

Stadjer

I think Lingard had a good game but i also think that he was still one of the lesser players. Rashford, Martial, James, McT and Fred all had a better game and were generaly a bigger asset to the team. Not that it is Lingard his fault, it is just because he doesnt have the talent or ability those players have.

Ideally you want a (much) better player starting games but when your competition is old man Mata and Andreas Pereira, i can see why Lingard does get to play games.

He did have some good moments (a few nice controls, not losing the ball in some situations) but all the praise of his ''movement'' is a bit over the top i think. Just because there isnt much else to praise doesnt mean his movement needs to be talked about like it is something special that a more capable footballer cant offer. There were also moments during the match i almost forgot he played. You also dont see Rashford for some time during the game but you dont forget that he plays because you know that when (or if) he gets the ball he can do something special with it... with Lingard i dont have the thought in the back of my head that ''something can happen anytime now''.

Ofcourse Pogba would be a better option, no matter what the situation is. Pogba might run a bit less than Lingard but Pogba always wants to get the ball and when he gets the ball there is always a chance he will do something special with it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Officially the fastest player at the club ;)

RedIan

He had a great game, ive never been in teh Lingard hating club. Hes had a touch time but i think we are a better team with him in there... links well with attack,, always makes good movement and runs and passes rarely go astray. Twice the player Peirra is.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In the 2nd half, he did a one touch turn to take on a ball that was coming at him with pace, I was highly impressed by it. It's a shame I cannot remember when exactly that happened.

andy dufresne

Lets have a dose of realism here please.Jesse Lingard had a good game,the best he has played for a while I would say in a United shirt.His movement and passing on the whole was more than adequate and his determination in this derby match which is I would guess is indeed,HIS,most important match of his season was admirable too.I would like to see him play this way more often though I do not see his skill/ability and what I call natural talent shining through over a sustained long term period of time for us.He is a squad player pure and simple and part of our on-going problem is the genuine lack of guile and football intelligence in that midfield area.I ask you all and be honest,who would you rather see playing for us Jesse Lingard or Jack Grealish or James Maddison? I would be amazed if a vote of say,100 knowledgeable football supporters picked Jesse over those two...sad but true

sherrinford

I think Lingard had a good game but i also think that he was still one of the lesser players. Rashford, Martial, James, McT and Fred all had a better game and were generaly a bigger asset to the team. Not that it is Lingard his fault, it is just because he doesnt have the talent or ability those players have.

Ideally you want a (much) better player starting games but when your competition is old man Mata and Andreas Pereira, i can see why Lingard does get to play games.

He did have some good moments (a few nice controls, not losing the ball in some situations) but all the praise of his ''movement'' is a bit over the top i think. Just because there isnt much else to praise doesnt mean his movement needs to be talked about like it is something special that a more capable footballer cant offer. There were also moments during the match i almost forgot he played. You also dont see Rashford for some time during the game but you dont forget that he plays because you know that when (or if) he gets the ball he can do something special with it... with Lingard i dont have the thought in the back of my head that ''something can happen anytime now''.

Ofcourse Pogba would be a better option, no matter what the situation is. Pogba might run a bit less than Lingard but Pogba always wants to get the ball and when he gets the ball there is always a chance he will do something special with it.
The only players I thought were better in the first half were Fred and Maguire. I think he offered more than all of the front three.

Devil may care

We badly need an upgrade in this position if Ole insists on sticking with the 4-2-3-1, but right now Lingard has earned the spot over Pereira and Mata by being less crap than them.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If Pogba was to start the last game, City wouldn't push as high up because they know the damage he would do; obviously they don't respect Lingard that much.

Having Pogba (and other similar level players) on the pitch is better for the big games, and all games in general, as we have more control and fear factor as a knock-on effect of their very high level.

Same way everyone fears Liverpool's front 3 so they don't attack in numbers anymore.
So you think that Pep would change his game plan for one midfielder? Highly unlikely. If anything, he would tell his players to press Pogba as hard and as often as possible...

Walters_19_MuFc

Best game for us in a while. He was making clever runs in behind City's defence. Had a couple of good opportunities. Was unlucky not to score. This game and the Spurs game are signs that his confidence is slowly coming back. Good performance from Jesse.

Tarrou

Lets have a dose of realism here please.Jesse Lingard had a good game,the best he has played for a while I would say in a United shirt.His movement and passing on the whole was more than adequate and his determination in this derby match which is I would guess is indeed,HIS,most important match of his season was admirable too.I would like to see him play this way more often though I do not see his skill/ability and what I call natural talent shining through over a sustained long term period of time for us.He is a squad player pure and simple and part of our on-going problem is the genuine lack of guile and football intelligence in that midfield area.I ask you all and be honest,who would you rather see playing for us Jesse Lingard or Jack Grealish or James Maddison? I would be amazed if a vote of say,100 knowledgeable football supporters picked Jesse over those two...sad but true
Realism? Nobody thinks he should be a guaranteed starter here. No one.

People are just praising him for a good game.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Come on you can't be serious :lol:

Pogba comes in either in a 3 man midfield(preferably) or directly in that 10 position. Ole himself has said Pogba can play in various position in midfield, be it deeper as CM or advanced as an AM/10.

Lingard isn't displacing none of the names you mentioned. Those are vital players for our attack and midfield(Martial, James and Pogba).

jem

He can drive me crazy, but I think he has been very good in these last two games. If he could maintain this level (a giant 'if'), then he really would be the valuable squad player we once talked about.

Le Red

You can't be serious that you're willing to bench James or Martial in Lingard's favor.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Had a good game, more like the player from a year or two ago. It's nice to see players who have been demonized on this forum come back and play well. I agree with most posters that his best games always seem to be against the sides that push us, and leave space in behind, where Lingard can find those spaces, but needs to put away some of the chances that he gets.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No it won't, it'll 100% be Pogba in there instead of Lingard. You can't take any of our front 3 out, they're the reason we're so deadly on counters.

imonkmc

he can be a useful squad option but he has to cut out the little useless flicks which comes off once in a f-ing blue moon with no end product....

Dante

Average bang
No it won't, it'll 100% be Pogba in there instead of Lingard. You can't take any of our front 3 out, they're the reason we're so deadly on counters.
It's not a front 3, it's a front 4. And Lingard has been a crucial component of it.

He'sRaldo

So you think that Pep would change his game plan for one midfielder? Highly unlikely. If anything, he would tell his players to press Pogba as hard and as often as possible...
Take a look at how Pep approaches Liverpool fixtures nowadays. Very apprehensively. In our fixture, Walker had to look after Rashford and thus wasn't as attacking as he could be.

So yes, he most likely will adjust his gameplan if we have more quality. Not Pogba alone of course, but Pogba + that front 3 for sure.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's not a front 3, it's a front 4. And Lingard has been a crucial component of it.
He was decent against Spurs and good against City, he's not crucial to it and we'll see that once Pogba returns and benches him. Pereira was also filling that role well, the secret isn't in the AM, it's in what McTominay and Fred allow the AM to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.