4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

I still see it as unlikely that Lingard will leave this year, unless he lands a long-term contract with a PL club not too far away in physical distance from Manchester.
I believe Italy is out of the question for many seasons more.
Most likely he'll stay till next summer, hope his extension is triggered as a loyal backup, if not then next summer find a club in the Midlands area willing to sign him on a free.

This due his family obligations that I described in the post below from May.

(That said, as things are now I definitely wouldn't mind if he leaves soon, just seems unlikely to me.)
It’s strange now to think that Jesse was a very popular figure at the club for years, a bit of a Cinderella story as the late bloomer and the unlikely choice from a youth setup that saw Morrison, Pogba and Januszaj come and go. Lingard also proved surprisingly useful under different managers while bigger names flattered to deceive. His attitude was mainly lauded. To think now he was our second top scorer the season we won the Europa league and Mickey Mouse cup, now as it appears necessary to explain to different people why he is not a parasite or somehow gulty of United’s table position - eell, it’s strange.

A boy who by continuing to work harder than teammates with bigger talent, who by refusing to give up as others changed clubs for playing times etc, saved the club the millions of pounds it would cost buying a squad player and England international. He might owe the club, but the club owes him even more.

I’d love to see him get back to his previous self, he would be a brilliant squad member if so. If not, he is not a player we will have lost on either way.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
It’s strange now to think that Jesse was a very popular figure at the club for years, a bit of a Cinderella story as the late bloomer and the unlikely choice from a youth setup that saw Morrison, Pogba and Januszaj come and go. Lingard also proved surprisingly useful under different managers while bigger names flattered to deceive. His attitude was mainly lauded. To think now he was our second top scorer the season we won the Europa league and Mickey Mouse cup, now as it appears necessary to explain to different people why he is not a parasite or somehow gulty of United’s table position - eell, it’s strange.

A boy who by continuing to work harder than teammates with bigger talent, who by refusing to give up as others changed clubs for playing times etc, saved the club the millions of pounds it would cost buying a squad player and England international. He might owe the club, but the club owes him even more.

I’d love to see him get back to his previous self, he would be a brilliant squad member if so. If not, he is not a player we will have lost on either way.
Agree on everything but the bolded part. Lingard did scored several important goals for United, screamers, played with passion for this club and is United through and through. Despite lacking in talent compared to others, hard work and dedication got him further than anyone could imagine and from his point of view he's had nice career with United. Club gave him big contract, he didn't force it, so don't see problem with that as some people do, just don't find him good enough for standard set by Ole.

I just don't see him getting any more chances, we're already covered with better players on all positions he can play and with new players incoming he just doesn't warrant place in the squad. Wish him all the best in the future career, but for United he's more useful as s supporter than a player.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
His current contract expires next year with an option for extension.

He's on...yes, what? Some sources say as much as a hundred grand per week. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. Other sources say 75k.

His market value is pretty low - certainly lower than ever, to put it like that.

It's easy to say that he should be shipped out - but who would take him?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Well said.

Agree on everything but the bolded part. Lingard did scored several important goals for United, screamers, played with passion for this club and is United through and through. Despite lacking in talent compared to others, hard work and dedication got him further than anyone could imagine and from his point of view he's had nice career with United. Club gave him big contract, he didn't force it, so don't see problem with that as some people do, just don't find him good enough for standard set by Ole.

I just don't see him getting any more chances, we're already covered with better players on all positions he can play and with new players incoming he just doesn't warrant place in the squad. Wish him all the best in the future career, but for United he's more useful as s supporter than a player.
Which is the bolded part?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Last 12 PL games he has played 23 mins, since Bruno was signed, he played 2 mins in 9 games. Also he was out of playing squad 6/9 times since Bruno was signed.

I dont think he will be here next season, with Raiola as agent and him not even making the match squad, it's looks obvious move.

mewnew11

"Lingard era".

He epitomises what the club were during this time: Spoilt, Cocky, coward and mediocre.

Kostov

He is paid 100k a week for being an absolute passenger for 90% of his contract here. The kind of money he would have never gotten elsewhere and tolerated for being absolutely appalling at his job . Yes he had some moments where it all clicked and scored some nice goals, which were appreciated as such, but anyone with a sensible understanding of football would have told you that he was never ever good enough. The club owes him nothing and he should have been sent away long time ago.

Of course he is not at fault for our table position nor our downfall in recent times, the ones that tolerated such mediocrity are at fault, the guy was jus pocketing 100k a week from incompetent decision makers.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Well said.

Which is the bolded part?
"I’d love to see him get back to his previous self, he would be a brilliant squad member if so".

Don't see him ever coming close to previous good patches of form he has had, and he was never brilliant option to begin with.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
When did he last score in the PL? Genuinely struggling to remember
"You have to go as far back as December 22nd 2018, in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first game in charge, for Lingard's last Premier League goals, - when he bagged a brace in a 5-1 win over Cardiff City.29. pro 2019."

Nickelodeon

The club owes him more than paying him 100k a week doing absolutely nothing?!

The only time Lingard was lauded was because there were absolutely zero expectations from him and he was a 22-23 year old and certain improvement was expected purely based on his age. His attitude and hard work was lauded because there was nothing else that could be. When a player is not good at passing, shooting, dribbling but just buzzes around, you would think that he would be hard working. Though there is no evidence that he actually worked harder than anyone else. Granted he did have his brief moments but they're not even close to repaying his massive salary.

Nobody is blaming him for United's mediocrity, but he's just an unfortunate reminder that players like him have just been strung along with high paying contracts. Just like Fellaini who, despite more ridicule than Lingard, was twice the player Lingard will ever be.

flappyjay

Its weird because I kind of don't want him sold. Maybe its nostalgia or because he has come through the academy. sentimentalism is a bane
During Pogba and Bruno's absence I couldn't stand the sight of him. Now him not even making bench means reality has set in, he really is going to be sold. I imagine his last match could be lask 2nd leg. No more moonwalking on Arsenals turf.

flappyjay

He has never been a creator or a baller but part of me wonders how he would be like in this current team. He has been a squad player (which meant he want a squad player) who has enjoyed too many starts over the years because of how bad the team was. Same has happened to Daniel James who a lot of people have turned on over the season.

Not advocating for his stay but just wondering how he would look like in a functional team. If his movement is anything like in 2017 he could be useful as a squad player in the current team.

reddevilchennai

I don't know why I didn't like him from the start. He was hardworking but he was never United quality. He was the United player I didn't like the most. Others were Evans, Smalling, Welbeck.

drdoityourself

He has never been a creator or a baller but part of me wonders how he would be like in this current team. He has been a squad player (which meant he want a squad player) who has enjoyed too many starts over the years because of how bad the team was. Same has happened to Daniel James who a lot of people have turned on over the season.

Not advocating for his stay but just wondering how he would look like in a functional team. If his movement is anything like in 2017 he could be useful as a squad player in the current team.
This lineup works because there is a threat in every area. Take one out and put in Lingard, the team would be more predictable and easier to defend against.

Stacks

During Pogba and Bruno's absence I couldn't stand the sight of him. Now him not even making bench means reality has set in, he really is going to be sold. I imagine his last match could be lask 2nd leg. No more moonwalking on Arsenals turf.
This is the problem with United fans. No patience! this could be Pogba situation all over again.

PoTMS

This is the problem with United fans. No patience! this could be Pogba situation all over again.
Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. Lingard is pretty shit and has been for two years.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Really mixed feelings on Lingard.

He always worked hard when he did play and its not his fault he isn't good enough.

However, not to sound like a grump dinosaur but his milly rocking and social media behaviour did annoy me a bit, along with him pushing the JLingz brand. Couldn't help but find it tiresome especially when its been coupled with horrible performances for a sustained period of time.

But while this is speculation, I get the impression he's had a bit of a difficult time personally. Did he not do an interview talking about how he's had a tough time of it, looking after his mum and stuff?

Either way, the guy needs to leave. He'll land a move to a mid-table side and still not be a standout player but its probably still whats best for him. He's gone and hired Raiola so safe to say he knows himself its time to bail.

Good luck to him.

Based Adnan

Anyone see what Schmeichel had to say on the latest MUTV group chat video/podcast?
"There’s a few players in the squad that we absolutely do not want there. They’re not there to play for the badge. They’re there to create a profile for themselves. I was reading about one player trying to make themself a brand like Beckham which is shocking really."
Can't see him be talking about anyone but J Lingz.

AshRK

He had all the chance to kick on his career after a decent 17/18 season where he score 13 goals in all competitions but the mini success got to his head and all went south for him. He started acting weird in his social media and frustrated everyone. Glad he is finally being phased out. Average player who should have stayed humble and worked hard instead he thought he is the beckham of this era.

GiddyUp

Really mixed feelings on Lingard.

He always worked hard when he did play and its not his fault he isn't good enough.

However, not to sound like a grump dinosaur but his milly rocking and social media behaviour did annoy me a bit, along with him pushing the JLingz brand. Couldn't help but find it tiresome especially when its been coupled with horrible performances for a sustained period of time.

But while this is speculation, I get the impression he's had a bit of a difficult time personally. Did he not do an interview talking about how he's had a tough time of it, looking after his mum and stuff?

Either way, the guy needs to leave. He'll land a move to a mid-table side and still not be a standout player but its probably still whats best for him. He's gone and hired Raiola so safe to say he knows himself its time to bail.

Good luck to him.
I'm sure he's doing his best for his family but if you get paid millions to be a professional athlete or CEO of a massive company then your family problems mean shit.
Lingard seems to not want to put football as his top priority and his choice of agent indicates that. I doubt the guy would bat an eyelid if he was demoted to the reserves as long as he gets to have a laugh with the boys at the clubs expense and the supporters patience.

Class of 63

Sourness
He is paid 100k a week for being an absolute passenger for 90% of his contract here. The kind of money he would have never gotten elsewhere and tolerated for being absolutely appalling at his job . Yes he had some moments where it all clicked and scored some nice goals, which were appreciated as such, but anyone with a sensible understanding of football would have told you that he was never ever good enough. The club owes him nothing and he should have been sent away long time ago.

Of course he is not at fault for our table position nor our downfall in recent times, the ones that tolerated such mediocrity are at fault, the guy was jus pocketing 100k a week from incompetent decision makers.
Nah, anybody with a sensible understanding of football knows there is, and always has been more to football than just stats. "Oh he hasn't scored for 17 games, oh he hasn't scored for 22 games ....

mufc90

Moyes wants lingard and jones at WHU! Fingers crossed.
I really hope this true. They might not look so poor when paired with players of a similar ability. Jones is a liability, I'm almost waiting for him to mess up whenever I see him in the starting line up or coming on a sub. Lingard, on the other hand, hasn't done anything in years and just doesn't cut it in the team that Ole is trying to create.

Class of 63

Sourness
"I’d love to see him get back to his previous self, he would be a brilliant squad member if so".

Don't see him ever coming close to previous good patches of form
he has had, and he was never brilliant option to begin with.
Did you mean to highlight/bolden that part of the post and forget, or has the original post been edited?

Anyho, didn't he score 2 in very few matches recently?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Once he apparently moved agent to the dreadful Raiola that seemed to totally in effect end him here.

He had times as a decent squad option, scored some spectacular goals but from last season on just seemed to drop off a cliff.
You really can't be an attacking midfielder for a team like United and contribute zero goals or assists.

RiqCantona

Everton seems to be in the running as well... My mate whose an Everton fan just texted me. Its probably between WHU, Everton, and Newcastle from what I heard.

Matriac

Maybe straight swap with Villa for Grealish? They will need a playmaker if Peaky Blinders comes to us.

Andy_Cole

He gets a lot of hate. To be honest he’s just an average player. Not at the level we should be at. Overstayed because he’s local.

Sylar

Damn. Thats pretty bad when you think the position he plays. If it had the context of him then being injured for a long period, I could understand, but he had an injury and came back a month or two later?

Its odd to think he was part of Oles best run as interim manager with the way we played (essentially 433, which we are still doing but weve upgrade on him with Mason (and herrera with Bruno)).

Robbie Boy

Everton seems to be in the running as well... My mate whose an Everton fan just texted me. Its probably between WHU, Everton, and Newcastle from what I heard.
I seriously doubt Ancelotti will go for him and soon to be loaded Newcastle certainly won't be in for him.

spiriticon

It's just a shame he never really kicked on from his purple patch.

He could have been a bit more, but sadly has gone the way of Richardson, Eagles, Gibson, Powell, Januzaj in terms of reaching their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.