4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clique

We've gotten into the wrong discussion. The question is not whether he did well against LASK or not (he did ok!).. But do we sell him now, for a bit of money or do we let him go on a free next year - assuming we don't trigger the extension clause.

Is there anyone who's actually suggesting we give Lingard a fresh deal?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We've gotten into the wrong discussion. The question is not whether he did well against LASK or not (he did ok!).. But do we sell him now, for a bit of money or do we let him go on a free next year - assuming we don't trigger the extension clause.

Is there anyone who's actually suggesting we give Lingard a fresh deal?
Reading some of the comments post match you'd think some had suggested giving him a new 5 year contract and making him Captain.

Kostov

Lingard in the last two games was better than Bruno in his last two. Clearly Lingard just needed to sort his mind out first and now the sky is the limit.

Lingard has scored more from open play too in his last two appearances compared to Bruno’s last two!
:lol::lol::lol:

Go and have a lay down, that's ridiculous.

Djemba-Djemba

A fluke goal due to a keeper error, his first league goal in 18 months, and a goal against the mighty LASK and we've got people in here wanting him to stay and comparing him favourably to Bruno

:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I feel like people forget just how good he was when he went through that mad run of form of about 9 goals in 2 months (or something), when he’s confident and running at defenders he is excellent!

Ole is making him captain for a reason too, he clearly has leadership credentials and is loved in the team.

He deserves a chance to prove himself, if he carries on like this he will give Bruno a lot of sleepless nights.

Djemba-Djemba

I feel like people forget just how good he was when he went through that mad run of form of about 9 goals in 2 months (or something), when he’s confident and running at defenders he is excellent!

Ole is making him captain for a reason too, he clearly has leadership credentials and is loved in the team.

He deserves a chance to prove himself, if he carries on like this he will give Bruno a lot of sleepless nights.
What by shouting Beans through his window? or noisily dabbing?

Fluctuation0161

If he carries on like this we won't need any new signings. Greenwood won't be the top youngster at the club if we extend Lingards contract.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What’s so controversial?
The Sky is the limit for Jesse Lingard? Does that phrase mean something different where you come from than it does where I live?

Jesus he was alright last night a few nice touches. But it was against an awful team in awful form.

If Lingard had put in that performance against LASK last night for any other club. No United fan would be suggesting that United should sign him.

For the level the club is aiming for Lingard has no place at United even as a squad player. He’s just not good enough. And while in top form he’s a decent player his bottom level is atrocious. And he’s been off form more than on the last few years.
If he keeps scoring like he has the past two games all would be forgotten. That’s why I said the sky’s the limit.

LASK are a good side too and it’s pretty hard for them to be in any kind of form given Coronavirus.

Obviously I wouldn’t sign him he’s already at the club. I just think we’ve got a potentially great player here who has time to develop and mature now he’s sorted his health out.

2 goals in 2 games is good enough for United. The last few years he’s probably been suffering with his mental health but now he’s changed and dealt with it. He could be like a new signing at No10 and give Bruno the threat of a good option behind him.
My god people are getting carried away. He was decent against Lask (Lask!) and scored a fluky goal against Leicester. Bruno’s worst performances (against real competition) were as good as anything Lingard has offered up recently.
It wasn’t decent he was very good against LASK. Also the Leicester goal wasn’t flukey he worked hard to get that chance.

Bruno the last few games looked tired and this new improved Lingard was much better. He scored from open play twice! What has Bruno done recently?

:lol::lol::lol:

Go and have a lay down, that's ridiculous.
Why? Lingard has played better the last two games. He’s scored more than Bruno for starters.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If he carries on like this we won't need any new signings. Greenwood won't be the top youngster at the club if we extend Lingards contract.
Don’t be a wind up merchant Greenwood is easily the better academy prospect and no signings?

We obviously need a RW with experience (Willian anyone?) but Lingard will probably do just as good a job as Grealish and save us a tonne of money so I get what you mean about not needing to sign.

Withnail

What’s so controversial?

If he keeps scoring like he has the past two games all would be forgotten. That’s why I said the sky’s the limit.

LASK are a good side too and it’s pretty hard for them to be in any kind of form given Coronavirus.

Obviously I wouldn’t sign him he’s already at the club. I just think we’ve got a potentially great player here who has time to develop and mature now he’s sorted his health out.

2 goals in 2 games is good enough for United. The last few years he’s probably been suffering with his mental health but now he’s changed and dealt with it. He could be like a new signing at No10 and give Bruno the threat of a good option behind him.

It wasn’t decent he was very good against LASK. Also the Leicester goal wasn’t flukey he worked hard to get that chance.

Bruno the last few games looked tired and this new improved Lingard was much better. He scored from open play twice! What has Bruno done recently?

Why? Lingard has played better the last two games. He’s scored more than Bruno for starters.
No one's falling for it mate.

If he continues like this and scores in every game he'd hit Messi numbers :lol:

Berbasbullet

No one's falling for it mate.

If he continues like this and scores in every game he'd hit Messi numbers :lol:
He doesn’t need to score every game, just carry on his excellent form.

Maybe he will keep scoring and finally become Messi Lingard we have all been waiting for.:drool:

Strelok

He doesn’t need to score every game, just carry on his excellent form.

Maybe he will keep scoring and finally become Messi Lingard we have all been waiting for.:drool:
Whaat ??

Lingard has been much better than Messi. He has scored two and Messi none in the last 20 days.

Berbasbullet

Whaat ??

Lingard has been much better than Messi. He has scored two and Messi none in the last 20 days.
This is true!

Btw Da Nang is a brilliant place in the world! Love the marble mountains.

Clique

I hope to god Berbasbullet is on a wind-up!

But just for statistical confirmation, Lingard's top level has never been as effective as Bruno through his entire career.

The tweet below from May identifies his expected G+A on a rolling 7 game average and you'll notice the peak there in 2017/18 corresponding to that glorious month of Dec'17 where he scored 3-4 goals over a 7 game period (for the record his xG+A during that time is 0.9)

Leaving aside Bruno, Lingard doesn't compare favorably to Delle Alli.

Strelok

This is true!

Btw Da Nang is a brilliant place in the world! Love the marble mountains.
Oh thanks for the kind words. You must have been here I guess.

Yeah it's beautiful I've been living here for 8 years. Sunny beach rocks :D

stevoc

I doubt anyone has forgotten it, but it was 3 years ago, only lasted a few months and it's the only time he did it. So clearly thats not his level.

stevoc

Ah you are on a wind up, no worries mate carry on.

;)

Berbasbullet

But just for statistical confirmation, Lingard's top level has never been as effective as Bruno through his entire career.

The tweet below from May identifies his expected G+A on a rolling 7 game average and you'll notice the peak there in 2017/18 corresponding to that glorious month of Dec'17 where he scored 3-4 goals over a 7 game period (for the record his xG+A during that time is 0.9)

Look we can argue stats all day long, but what he brings you cannot put into a simple pie chart or graph. He is on the up and entering his prime! Now is the time to give him minutes and he will be able to give Bruno the rest he needs (and even a run for his money too).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So clearly thats not his level.
His potential level is that of a squad player who can do well enough in "keep it ticking over" scenarios as a sub - and well enough in inconsequential games over the course of a season (as a pure rotation option).

That's about it.

The question is - obviously - whether we can trust him to be that for us. And also - I guess - whether he has ideas above his station, as it were. If so, he should be moved on immediately, because he clearly isn't a top player, and he will never (ever) become one.

RedDevil@84

Couple more goals and Woodward will tell Dortmund the should be bidding Sancho + 10M

francobaresi

:lol::lol: brilliant

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

This is the end of the thread. Anyone arguing otherwise is just doing themselves a disservice. The facts are clear over an extremely long period of time.

He has never been good enough and we should wish him all the best for next season at his new club.

GlasgowCeltic

If you only look at games hes scored in his record is 33 goals in 33 games, that's as good as it gets.

stevoc

His potential level is that of a squad player who can do well enough in "keep it ticking over" scenarios as a sub - and well enough in inconsequential games over the course of a season (as a pure rotation option).

That's about it.

The question is - obviously - whether we can trust him to be that for us. And also - I guess - whether he has ideas above his station, as it were. If so, he should be moved on immediately, because he clearly isn't a top player, and he will never (ever) become one.
Yeah potentially he is a decent option to bring on in games and to play in some cup matches. But if we're honest he hasn't even been performing consistently to that level the last few years.

If you were to judge him on his form over the last 2 years then he's definitely not good enough for United even as a squad option. And he's too old to hang on to him in the hope he improves. If the club are looking to make some money on him this summer would have to be the one to move him on. As his contract is running down and he's getting on 28.

jem

What’s so controversial?

Windup confirmed! Well-played!

edcunited1878

I'd rather he be moved on but then replaced by a significantly more consistent and better player. The difference between Bruno and current Lingard is far too great to rely on Jesse. If Jesse was near his 2018 form, then United may never had signed Bruno if that was the case.

If Jesse really wants to stay at United, he'd have to take reduced wages with more bonuses attached to it and for a maximum of 3 years. Even then, United should try to be moving him off.

End of the day, I'd rather see him moved on but knowing United have a replacement lined up that replaces him and Mata.

devips

There is so much disrespect for one of our own players here it is unbelievable. For his own sake, I hope he leaves United and joins another club as a starter. He is just entering the peak of his career.

Paul_Scholes18

It is a shame that Ballon dor is off this year. Lingard would have been in fighting for it after these performances he has shown recently.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah potentially he is a decent option to bring on in games and to play in some cup matches. But if we're honest he hasn't even been performing consistently to that level the last few years.
True. Very true.

So - yeah. I dunno. He hasn't really done a damn thing to make anyone think that he's a useful player over the last couple of seasons.

You have to apply special pleading (so to speak): personal issues, etc. Which is fair enough, by all means. But I don't blame anyone for wanting him gone.

Again - his potential (his ceiling, if you will) is that of a squad player and nothing more. But anyone in that category has to deliver consistently. He can't too frequently look like utter shite - like a player nobody in their right mind would pay 100k per week to have around - there has to be some consistency. Over time.

edgecutter

The last few pages have brought nothing but a laugh from me. Keep up the good work you WUMs.

I'll get involved too...

we should probably keep Jesse and look to offload Bruno, Jesse played far better against lask than Bruno did.

Bwuk

Interesting that he’s gotten himself ahead of James in the pecking order.

King Andow

Another top class cameo! In contention to start in the semi final.
Man, I'm almost teary-eyed here. I always knew he would deliver, all those years of bad luck and negativity affected the boy. Such a bless that our board and Ole had the patience, one of the best squad players that you can have.

Status
Not open for further replies.