Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rashford will surely be on the right, with Pogba or James or Martial out left (Cavani up top in the latter ideal) or even Bruno there with VDB as a 10 before we play Lingard.
rashford is probably the worst person to put on the right side against Robertson. He rarely tracks back on the best of days.

NoneBmStore

rashford is probably the worst person to put on the right side against Robertson. He rarely tracks back on the best of days.
He’s probably told not to. You know, coaching? Skills put aside, Messi never tracks back because he’s needed for bursts of energy. Similar to Rashford I’d imagine.
Besides, he does track back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s probably told not to. You know, coaching? Skills put aside, Messi never tracks back because he’s needed for bursts of energy. Similar to Rashford I’d imagine.
Besides, he does track back.
Sure you tell yourself that :lol:

Well you know, coaching against Liverpool will say follow Robertson and Trent Alexander Arnold whenever they go forward as they're a huge weapon for liverpool.

you know, tactics.

EireRed_GS

It baffled me the other night vs Watford how he managed to get to play through the middle ahead of Mata :confused:

Lingard has the pace to play wide and doesn't have the brain to play through the middle. Yet Mata is the opposite.

stevoc

It baffled me the other night vs Watford how he managed to get to play through the middle ahead of Mata :confused:

Lingard has the pace to play wide and doesn't have the brain to play through the middle. Yet Mata is the opposite.
You could ask why is Mata playing on the right wing instead of in the middle at any point in the last 7 years and it would be equally baffling.

Ash_G

It was an average performance against a Championship side. Nothing particularly wrong with that but Jesse can and most times does put in a similar non performances against top PL teams, lower PL teams, Europa League teams and lower league teams. The level opposition rarely matters. Yes sometimes he does have decent games but they are few and far between outside his purple patch back in 17-18.

I think the most damning thing you can say about Lingard as a player is he's 28 and most people on here have been watching him play for the best part of a decade now. And yet there is still no consensus on what position he is most effective in. He's clearly not a midfielder, his dribbling and crossing aren't good enough to be an effective winger, his finishing isn't good enough to be a striker and he's just not nearly talented enough to play at no10. Without even mentioning his limited passing range for him to be an effective no10 he'd have to actually be able to do something other than running away from play or calling for the ball only to give it straight back to the person that just passed it to him. Very rarely over the course of a game does he attempt a through ball or even create a chance.

So we're left with he has energy and movement, yeah he does but so do lots of players at various levels of football.
Agreed with this. I think when he and Cleveley were coming through they never understood that it's not enough to just keep the ball, you have to progress play and be able to eventually do something with the ball. I've not kept up to date with Clev but certainly with Lingard it's never felt like he's pushed on from this.

He's not a bad player but as you say right now it's hard to see what he really brings. I can imagine that if he was fine being a fringe player then having him as a sub in a game which you've already won and just want to hold on to the ball or you just wanted him to work hard/help keep the ball etc then he'd be fine but that isn't much of a role for him and isn't really what we need- we need players who can impact games.

I think he does need to be moved on for his career and to free up a spot in the squad for us. I do think though that even for a smaller team he is going to have to adapt to become someone who tries to make things happen more often. Maybe playing in games that are typically more open etc will help him although I think it's more about him and his willingness to make an impact on the ball and make attacking movement of the ball.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Master of training rondos and futile attacking football did what he did best. Minimize goal scoring threat for his own team.

Glad we’re near the end with this guy.

stevoc

Agreed with this. I think when he and Cleveley were coming through they never understood that it's not enough to just keep the ball, you have to progress play and be able to eventually do something with the ball. I've not kept up to date with Clev but certainly with Lingard it's never felt like he's pushed on from this.

He's not a bad player but as you say right now it's hard to see what he really brings. I can imagine that if he was fine being a fringe player then having him as a sub in a game which you've already won and just want to hold on to the ball or you just wanted him to work hard/help keep the ball etc then he'd be fine but that isn't much of a role for him and isn't really what we need- we need players who can impact games.

I think he does need to be moved on for his career and to free up a spot in the squad for us. I do think though that even for a smaller team he is going to have to adapt to become someone who tries to make things happen more often. Maybe playing in games that are typically more open etc will help him although I think it's more about him and his willingness to make an impact on the ball and make attacking movement of the ball.
Yeah there are similarities with cleverleys development. Ironically Tom is playing for Watford in the championship as that’s his level. I wish Lingard good fortune in his career when he leaves United. But I have a feeling before long the championship beckons for him also.

lex talionis

Master of training rondos and futile attacking football did what he did best. Minimize goal scoring threat for his own team.

Glad we’re near the end with this guy.
Well put. The smug, rehearsed goal celebration every year pisses me off. If you’re scoring goals for fun then by all means prepare a goal celebration.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
From SS Transfer Center

Jesse Lingard’s representatives have held initial discussions with Nice over a loan move.

An official approach is expected in the next week. Manchester United have yet to decide whether to allow Lingard to leave in this transfer window.

Lingard’s United contract runs until the summer of 2022. The midfielder started the FA Cup Third Round round victory over Watford on Saturday, but hasn’t started a Premier League game for over a year.

crossy1686

career ending
Huge drop off between Nice and the Milan teams, what's he hoping to achieve by playing in France? Just playing in general?

Either way, Nice can't afford a permanent transfer so he'll be back in the summer. Hopefully he impresses PSG or something and Leonardo makes us a decent offer.

simplyared

Going on the form he's shown recently I reckon he'd have a problem getting in Fulham's team. Thought he could help big Sam out but doubt if he's up for getting his hands dirty.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think it is unfair keeping him here, against his will if he wants to leave.
He's not playing. So let him go.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Think it is unfair keeping him here, against his will if that was it.
Eh?

Nobody wanted to pay a transfer fee last summer, why do people insist we a charity and should let players off on a free?

He is thankfully off in the summer. I still have nightmares over the dark days of him and Andreas as our number 10s.

Adisa

Eh?

Nobody wanted to pay a transfer fee last summer, why do people insist we a charity and should let players off on a free?

He is thankfully off in the summer. I still have nightmares over the dark days of him and Andreas as our number 10s.
Ole gave an answer which gives the impression he will not be allowed to leave because Ole wants to protect the sizer of his squad.
I think that's unfair to Lingard. If a player can't get in the team, you have a moral obligation to let him go if a decebt offer arrives imo.

Alemar

If a player can't get in the team, you have a moral obligation to let him go if a decebt offer arrives imo.
but where is this “decent offer”? Only loans, no purchase offers available at all

L1nk

Seemingly been cut from the 22 man squad and Amad Diallo added in, according to Twitter.

All i'm seeing is everyone crying over him and saying how much they'll miss him like he's Eric Cantona or something, it's absolutely blowing my mind.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ole is desperately trying to force Jlingz out. I'd gie him a run on the right, can't be worse than Greenwood this season.
He can and has been, even in his limited appearances. The criticism on Greenwood is far too harsh, his all-round game has been fine, he's just lacking end product. Giving that time to Lingard, who's now 28 and has had years to show what he can do, would be a waste of time and poor squad management IMO.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Ole is desperately trying to force Jlingz out. I'd gie him a run on the right, can't be worse than Greenwood this season.
It's not about whether he's worse now though, is it?

Assuming Lingard is leaving soon, what is going to be most beneficial to United? Playing Lingard who is in bad form and leaving anyway, or playing Greenwood who is in bad form but is a United player who needs minutes to develop and is likely to be here for years?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How many chances do you want to give him? He couldn't even impress vs minnows when given the chance.
I've had enough of his world class at running shit from his fanboys.
Has been absolute shit for almost 3 years now.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Thanks for the memories Jesse, done more for this club then my fellow keyboard warriors could dream of. . .

Will never understand the hate players that have actually at some point done something for the club get because they didn’t pan out to be the player we’d all hoped for.

Polar

It’s time for Jesse to try something new, to start with clean sheets. With trust and more responsibility I think he can contribute a lot on a mid-level team in PL. If Jesse still is hungry and wants to fulfil his potential, it’s possible United will regret we sold him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Thanks for the memories Jesse, done more for this club then my fellow keyboard warriors could dream of. . .

Will never understand the hate players that have actually at some point done something for the club get because they didn’t pan out to be the player we’d all hoped for.
Exactly. No need to hate.

Thanks for the performances and helping us win a trophy!

Respect.

Ace of Spades

Said it before that he will be gone soon. He has been given many chances, but his form has been bad for a while, yet he could have been a decent squad player.

Adisa

Sad how it's gone for him. I have wanted him sold for ages but the guy is United through and through. Thought he would leave on a better note.

Status
Not open for further replies.