Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He won't have an option if the club doesn't extend his contract.
Ah, didn't realise his contract ran out so soon. Of course I'd expect the club to trigger the extension (or just give him a full new one) even if he barely plays, so that we are 'protecting our investment' and can sell him to all those clubs eager to sign him on his huge wages.

Idxomer

Ah, didn't realise his contract ran out so soon. Of course I'd expect the club to trigger the extension (or just give him a full new one) even if he barely plays, so that we are 'protecting our investment' and can sell him to all those clubs eager to sign him on his huge wages.
This is one of the most annoying things about how the club operates right now. The moment they stop giving those stupid contracts to any player who had a period of performing well, maybe then there'll be belief we're raising the standards again and moving in the right direction.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seeing as we arent signing anybody, he'll be our 4th choice attacker this season (1st cover for Rashford/Martial/Greenwood) IMO. Like a new signing....

Actually though he's a lot better than the last 2 seasons, so hopefully he can be of some use at least. He's better than James or Ighalo imo. But also no options so he'll get his games.

NJM78

If the club gives him a new contract I'm done with football for a while. I'm at the end of my Tether with how we operate.

lsd

The Oracle
I can see him getting ten plus goals this season for us

Dan_F

I still think his highest level is above all of the rotation options we have. Whether he can find that again I have no idea, but unless we can get a worthwhile fee, I’d keep him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t understand all the hate on Lingard. Yes he is shite and offers almost nothing in attacking, but we already had Bruno and no longer need to start Lingard, he is no longer our concern. I reckon Lingard still had a role to play as a sub from the bench, he is good at running and pressing, will be good option to bring on in 70-80 mins when we need to hold a narrow lead in those tight games, especially when everyone start to get tired.

Well unless we could get a decent fee to help our other pursuits, I don’t see the need to selling him cheap.

AsonUnique

I think it's rather telling that we received no bids for him (I don't buy the wages excuse in this particular case, hes simply not wanted by any other club).

If the club decides to extend him (even if its in the futile hope of getting a good transfer fee for him) imo it displays a fundamental lack of understanding of getting rid of deadwood in the squad at all costs.
I thought he switched to Raiola as his agent. If he wanted to leave Raiola would have moved him.

I think he wants to stay and honestly at this point might get quite a few games. I would be all in for shifting him but we need someone lined up to replace him. If we aren't willing to spend for replacements or depth we can't shift our deadwood with the amount of games we have this season.

Hulme91

I don’t understand all the hate on Lingard. Yes he is shite and offers almost nothing in attacking, but we already had Bruno and no longer need to start Lingard, he is no longer our concern. I reckon Lingard still had a role to play as a sub from the bench, he is good at running and pressing, will be good option to bring on in 70-80 mins when we need to hold a narrow lead in those tight games, especially when everyone start to get tired.

Well unless we could get a decent fee to help our other pursuits, I don’t see the need to selling him cheap.
How will he have a role to play as a sub from the bench when he won't even be making the bench 9 times out of 10 this season?

Stretender

No one is paying a decent fee for Lingard. The problem with our fans is that they overate the true value of our players. There is a reason we are struggling to shift deadwood, because they are crap. Wishing Lingard to stay at the club on his huge wages is the reason we have a weak second 11 that can not compete. I would rather promote a youth team player than keep this joker of a player.

Nickelodeon

If he even makes the bench for us, it will be an embarrassment. I can't imagine how poor a player must perform for him to get kicked out of the squad. He wouldn't even be a starter for one of the bottom half of the league. Unless, one of the tactical innovations involve a player running around without winning the ball and hiding when his own team is in possession.

Godfather

Like fecking groundhog day. For years and years I expect us to get rid off the deadwood like him or Jones or Pereira and every year they somehow manage to stay.

gorky_utd

Lingard may be a decent player when on form but he should be no where near a man utd team sheet. Bayern brought Coutinho and Perisic from bench in ucl final. That is the quality we should have in the squad. Instead, the club doesn't seem to have any interest to sell him and buy a proper replacement. Player like Jones has been awarded new contract probably just to save money on new signings. I will not be surprised if Lingard is also given new deal after he scores 1 or 2 goals in League Cup. A player who is not wanted by any other club should not have a place in a club like utd.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It's simple. There are no standards at this club. A decent enough club would have got rid of him ages ago.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I would literally rather start a match with 10 men than see his name on the team sheet.

GioF

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The only thing I don’t understand is you backed it up with ‘still has a role to play’.
The only roll should be a one way ticket to another club. Like you said he’s shite and offers nothing from an attacking point of view....so why the feck should we even contemplate having him anywhere near the team??

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Minutes that he will get this season should be given to some player from youth team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. The only thing I don’t understand is you backed it up with ‘still has a role to play’.
The only roll should be a one way ticket to another club. Like you said he’s shite and offers nothing from an attacking point of view....so why the feck should we even contemplate having him anywhere near the team??
When we need to hold a tight lead into 70-80 mins of the game, I can’t think of any better player we could bring from bench, other than Lingard. Yes he is almost hopeless in attacking, but he is still our best player in pressing and running.

jackal&hyde

Why dont we send him out on loan if we're not gonna sell?
Squad depth for the front 3 i think.

In fairness, he is hopeless at creating in the AM role but with Bruno and DVB in, he will most likely never play that role again. As a back up winger of sorts, until we bring Sancho or some other good player, he will do.

Sylar

They will say his mind is settled and hes like a new signing for us :)
Lingard Reborn

Idxomer

In fairness, he is hopeless at creating in the AM role but with Bruno and DVB in, he will most likely never play that role again. As a back up winger of sorts, until we bring Sancho or some other good player, he will do.
He's even worse on the wings, and based on the last 2 season he isn't very useful anywhere on the pitch.

GlasgowCeltic

Winger?

Passitlikescholes

I thought he switched to Raiola as his agent. If he wanted to leave Raiola would have moved him.

I think he wants to stay and honestly at this point might get quite a few games. I would be all in for shifting him but we need someone lined up to replace him. If we aren't willing to spend for replacements or depth we can't shift our deadwood with the amount of games we have this season.
Maybe Lingard is so bad that even Raiola can't find a club for him.

He's clearly out of favour at United and we're talking about an England national team player. If he was good enough of a player for even the bottom half of the league, there would have HAD to have been some interest in a player who played for England a few years ago and is CLEARLY out of favour with us.

But yet not a peep from any club in regards to Lingard. Not a single rumour, not even a click bait article.

Thats pretty telling about Lingards "quality".

As far as his replacement for our squad, I think we can do with an inanimate rod.

Falcow

Seeing as we arent signing anybody, he'll be our 4th choice attacker this season (1st cover for Rashford/Martial/Greenwood) IMO. Like a new signing....

Actually though he's a lot better than the last 2 seasons, so hopefully he can be of some use at least. He's better than James or Ighalo imo. But also no options so he'll get his games.
I'm far from his biggest fan but I can tell you he is a better player than the post lockdown Rashford that we saw, having Rashford in the team in that kind of form is like playing with 10 men. I'd prefer Lingard to be playing either right or left of front three if Rashford cant regain form.

drdoityourself

He has done nothing for two seasons, yet still he might be one injury in the front three away from starting for us. When he was a right winger we only attacked through the left. Defences soon grew aware to this and just loaded more on that side of the field.

He just isn't threatening, defences can focus on other areas and let him hover between their midfield and defence, knowing he doesn't create enough to threaten the shape.

It's just amazing to read here how comfortable people are with him as an option, and to even suggest he should be infront of Rashford is laughable. Rashford was poor during the run in, but he keeps defences on alert the whole time and that can create spaces for others. When Lingard plays, sensible defences focus on others and he won't punish them.

He'll be 28 in two months, has done feck all during what were supposed to be his prime years. He should not be anywhere close to the starting line up and really has to be moved on.

Idxomer

He has done nothing for two seasons, yet still he might be one injury in the front three away from starting for us. When he was a right winger we only attacked through the left. Defences soon grew aware to this and just loaded more on that side of the field.

He just isn't threatening, defences can focus on other areas and let him hover between their midfield and defence, knowing he doesn't create enough to threaten the shape.

It's just amazing to read here how comfortable people are with him as an option, and to even suggest he should be infront of Rashford is laughable. Rashford was poor during the run in, but he keeps defences on alert the whole time and that can create spaces for others. When Lingard plays, sensible defences focus on others and he won't punish them.

He'll be 28 in two months, has done feck all during what were supposed to be his prime years. He should not be anywhere close to the starting line up and really has to be moved on.
Well said. People just forget how bad he could be after a long period of not seeing him constantly in the team.

Also, Rashford's output in the league just after lockdown is 3 goals and 3 assists, Lingard over the last 2 seasons 5 goals and 2 assists.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

This x1000. He is an attacking vacuum, where good play goes to die.

clarkydaz

I'm far from his biggest fan but I can tell you he is a better player than the post lockdown Rashford that we saw, having Rashford in the team in that kind of form is like playing with 10 men. I'd prefer Lingard to be playing either right or left of front three if Rashford cant regain form.
Exactly what lingard has been for so long. At least Rashford is a goal threat even if having a stinker game

Skeezix

Lingard had his best season under Mourinho where we werea defensive team with counter attacking our default approach to games. In that situation, he has spaces to run into.

But under Ole, though we are still adept at counter-attacking, we are a Big team now; the teams outside top 6 sit deep and defend against us.
That is where Lingard's technical deficiencies surface. Despite his famed "movement", he moves into the useless areas i.e in the middle of 3-4 opposition players where a pass to him would amount to nothing because he doesn't have the vision or technique to turn those players and move the ball forward. So, he only does sideways or backwards pass (the same can be said of Pereira but Pereira is still more risk taking than Lingard)

He has very poor anticipation of the ball that is why a long ball to him will bounce 2,3 steps before him and he will lose the ball. That is why he cannot play the Thomas Muller or 2nd Striker role.
As a 2nd striker or no 10, he is useless due to the deficiencies I've mentioned.

The only position left for him is either the Right or Left forward - even then, he does not have specific attributes and technical capabilities to make it work. Greenwood is the default choice on the right and either Rashford or Martial on the left.
In short, he is redundant. It would do him and the club a lot of good if he moves to another top-half of the table club. But then JLingz brand would be dead. So him moving out on his own accord is too big of a dream.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's simple. There are no standards at this club. A decent enough club would have got rid of him ages ago.
I wish people would stop posting stuff like this. Its dumb. How do you get rid of a player that nobody is trying to buy exactly?

We've blundered in past years by handing out contracts that we probably shouldn't have, but this is a player that had a pretty decent world cup 2 summers ago. I've never particularly rated him but if he can get some form back then he becomes useful for us, and also much more attractive on the market.

He seems exactly the type of player that someone like West Ham or Everton would have bought from us previously, but people aren't coming for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.