4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

Should be frozen out like the club did with Angel Gomes.
What would be the point in that? It achieves absolutely nothing, it just means we have a guy on the payroll contributing absolutely nothing to the club.

He's more useful as a body around the training pitch, and potentially as a rotation option if we're desperate or injuries strike.

Matt851

We really ought to have tried selling him and he really should have left for playing time.

We could have used the cash for a midfielder and the squad would be near perfect.
Exactly, its stupid we kept him given how little impact he had in recent seasons for the club

The loan to west ham went about as well as we could have hoped but surely the intended outcome should have been to sell him for a good fee.

Its concerning because it shows little has changed in terms of the clubs approach to contract renewals etc

Matt851

What would be the point in that? It achieves absolutely nothing, it just means we have a guy on the payroll contributing absolutely nothing to the club.

He's more useful as a body around the training pitch, and potentially as a rotation option if we're desperate or injuries strike.
Those are all things our young prospects could offer e.g. elanga

lilcurt

So not reading the whole thread to taint my view but here are my thoughts.

I'm pretty disappointed in Lingard, it was clear all summer he wouldn't get game time and it now looks like he has refused a move to get a big payday when him contract runs out. Losing the club money in the process. As a United lad I find this pretty sad.

Of course it also points to failure of the club to get him out over the summer but if he refused to go then it was difficult.

The fact this comes out a mere week after the window closes only compounds that he has taken the piss.

Still him in the reserves for 12 months.

Abraxas

Those are all things our young prospects could offer e.g. elanga
I agree, but we're not running out of training bibs. Elanga can be involved if the manager deems him good enough, how does it argue for leaving Lingard in the reserves for a season?

It looks a futile and pointless exercise to me.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
So not reading the whole thread to taint my view but here are my thoughts.

I'm pretty disappointed in Lingard, it was clear all summer he wouldn't get game time and it now looks like he has refused a move to get a big payday when him contract runs out. Losing the club money in the process. As a United lad I find this pretty sad.

Of course it also points to failure of the club to get him out over the summer but if he refused to go then it was difficult.

The fact this comes out a mere week after the window closes only compounds that he has taken the piss.

Still him in the reserves for 12 months.
Bingo.

The time to seek reassurances about playing time (being sent on loan was probably a big hint Jesse!) was early in the window, when he had options, but he spent that time waxing lyrical about being determined to stay and fight for his place.

I think he's probably happy enough to stick around and continue to build his "brand" on the back of being associated with Utd for another year, and then leave on a free, with the story that he's leaving to play.

If he wanted a guarantee of playing time he should have did everything he could to leave this summer.

hobbers

Yeh wanting to have Ole "prove" to him that he's in the plans is obviously a cover for a) a big payday signing on fee next summer and b) a year playing "with" Ronaldo siuuuuuu Instagram clout JLINGZ bruv innit tweet the stream.

tomaldinho1

Club gave him a £100,000 per week contract and fans wonder why he'd rather see that out before moving? Once we stop overpaying fringe players, this situation will be a thing of the past.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I find it weird this has come out, seemingly with a pro-Lingard PR spin in regards to him wanting to cement his place in Southgate's plans for WC2022.

He literally has no hope of cementing a place in the United 1st team, and that's the big sticking point for him getting into that squad properly again. You'd think he would've asked to move or pursued something over the summer if he was that desperate to cement his place in the England setup. I don't buy that Ole blocked his move as was originally portrayed in the press when he's got Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Mata, Martial, Fernandes, Pogba, Van De Beek and even Hannibal, Amad, Elanga and Shoretire who could all play somewhere Lingard is capable of playing on the pitch.

He obviously knows he protected his stock with that West Ham loan and knows he's got an opportunity at 29 years of age (when his contract is up) to get a nice big signing on fee and a decent wage on a free. And of course, why wouldn't you? This will be his last 'big contract'.

lex talionis

But I wonder which club will actually splash a huge sum to sign Jesse. Not any of the other 6, for sure. Of the midtable clubs Jesse might appeal to I'm not sure they'd want to spend a wad of cash on a 29 year old player who's had only one-half decent season in the last four.

hobbers

But I wonder which club will actually splash a huge sum to sign Jesse. Not any of the other 6, for sure. Of the midtable clubs Jesse might appeal to I'm not sure they'd want to spend a wad of cash on a 29 year old player who's had only one-half decent season in the last four.
Leicester could conceivably. Maybe also Everton, he'd be a direct Sigurdsson replacement there.

But you just know he'll end up at Arsenal, like most United rejects.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Exactly, its stupid we kept him given how little impact he had in recent seasons for the club

The loan to west ham went about as well as we could have hoped but surely the intended outcome should have been to sell him for a good fee.

Its concerning because it shows little has changed in terms of the clubs approach to contract renewals etc
Yeah it’s quite baffling. High wages and contract renewals and we wonder why we struggle to sell players.

Redcy

Everton seems to be a perfect fit for him, mid to top 8 club, close by for his family, will get a decent wage if he moves on a free.

Jericho

You're only ever one good performance away from getting a new contract offer here. Just let him leave ffs.

This is a performance thread - move to one of the other lingard threads for general comment and bizarre rants

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Guys this is a performance thread. There are other lingard threads open for general comments, contracts, non transfers and gibberish about him only caring about his brand. Move to one of those please

United in sin

Freeze him out, don’t let him train with the first team and force him to feck off in January for a fee.

His pathetic goal celebration for England was enough. Twat cares about one thing and has learnt nothing.
Give over with his high horse celebration hating nonsense.

Kostov

We've learn nothing it seems. Why offer a contract to someone who obviously nobody deemed worthy to buy when in the last year of his contract? Does someone at the club think when they offer him an extension on probably the same or with a pay rise will make West Ham splash the cash? Absolute morons imo.

Bondi77

Just watched Bruno for portugal. He managed to run the show even with many wasteful portuguese players around him.

Does someone really think Jesse can be Bruno's replacement for a few games! Has he ever played #10?
He must have lifted his game since the Euros then!

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Even before the goal I felt he deserved to be in the team ahead of Sancho on current form. He’s looking confident and dependable right now.

LARulz

Very happy with him - made some good runs and created space. Did very well for the finish as well

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just awesome for him. Absolutely in with a fighting chance against Sancho for now

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Seems like Moyes has done his magic. He has this effect on very young players. Like Januzaj back then and now Lingard.

el3mel

That was really a top notch goal, clearing space for himself to shoot and the shot itself was magic.

He's an option for us whether we like him or not, and I liked that Ole had no problem subbing off Sancho for him when he saw that Sancho was shit. No player should have an undisputed place in the team, except of course Bruno and Ronaldo.

Lee565

Made up for lingard, hopefully this helps him gain his confidence back in a United shirt.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He’s been brilliant since that loan move, a sharp turn from the stagnation that was happening prior to it. Happy for the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.