Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find its really unfair that Lingard is coming on at nearly every half time when I think that VDB at L/R-CAM is arguably the same goalscorer type player, with better ability on the ball, better passing and better defensive ability aswell. Definitely better intelligence too.

I don't think VDB should play deep as he did yesterday but you would argue that Ole put Jessie on because he is a hard working goal scoring player - that is exactly what VDB is to me.

Teja

I find its really unfair that Lingard is coming on at nearly every half time when I think that VDB at L/R-CAM is arguably the same goalscorer type player, with better ability on the ball, better passing and better defensive ability aswell. Definitely better intelligence too.

I don't think VDB should play deep as he did yesterday but you would argue that Ole put Jessie on because he is a hard working goal scoring player - that is exactly what VDB is to me.
VdB himself said he's happy / good enough to play #6 / #8 in our system. We tried him in Bruno's role a couple of times (hybrid 10 / second striker types) and you just don't get that level of creativity from him.

Have to disagree that he's better than Lingard on the wings - but even if he is marginally better, we easily have enough cover there now - Sancho, Greenwood, Pogba, Rashford, Lingard can all play there. He might get a few mins here or there but I don't think he's even a serious backup candidate in that role.

Irwin99

The sort of thing that happened yesterday has happened to the best of them (Keane and Scholes) so, although it's annoying, it's just one of those crappy things that happens. For his own sake I hope he runs his contract down or leaves in January. A fresh start would do him wonders and it'd be wages off our books.

RedCurry

This is the absolute worst time to be critical of Lingard. Footballers, good or bad, can make mistakes. We’ll need him to keep his confidence up as he will be a very useful squad player throughout the season and if we are to win trophies, we need the entire squad to be firing all cylinders.

hobbers

he will be a very useful squad player throughout the season
He won't be.

Unless your definition of useful is a small contribution to GD by scoring a 3rd or 4th goal in games we're already winning.

Strats

This is the absolute worst time to be critical of Lingard. Footballers, good or bad, can make mistakes. We’ll need him to keep his confidence up as he will be a very useful squad player throughout the season and if we are to win trophies, we need the entire squad to be firing all cylinders.
What are you basing that on?

Last edited:

RedCurry

What are you basing that on?
Whether he will be a squad player or whether he will be useful?

He is in our squad so he is a squad player. He can cover for multiple positions and found some form for West Ham. He struggled for confidence before his loan spell but we saw a different player when the manager showed some faith in him.

RedDevilQuebecois

I just think about what Roy Keane would have said to him if he was in the same team. Would have ripped his head off I imagine. You need that kind of determination and fight to win stuff.
You have no idea how much I would love to have Roy Keane in that dressing room right now, be it as a captain or as the assistant manager to keep everyone in check just like any tough assistant manager or captain we used to have. IMHO, Lingard has wasted himself like Kieran Richardson did before him; neither was consumate enough as a professional for Manchester United. This club has no room for anybody unwilling to grow up, especially at age 28.

Which is not smart by him, unless Ole has promised him game time, which is not smart by Ole. He should be aware and Ole should be aware that he's giong to be crushed by the wight of expectation and the simple matter that he is not good enough.
Indeed. Lingard himself should know better than anyone that his future is not at United, but Ole is also fooling himself by taking a chance that is bound to be wasted.

Last edited:

Seij

Still, he’s had the balls to label himself as one of the best no.10’s in Europe. Think he said this at a time when his form was horrendous.
Seems in character with thinking he's too good for West Ham and copying Ronaldo's celebration after scoring against 156th ranked Andorra who slugs it out with the likes of New Caledonia and the Maldives.

Red_toad

I wonder when young Jessie is going to get frozen out of the squad, he’ll be free in 9 months and seems a tad pointless playing him and not just throwing in the likes of Mejbri etc to gain valuable experience?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I wonder when young Jessie is going to get frozen out of the squad, he’ll be free in 9 months and seems a tad pointless playing him and not just throwing in the likes of Mejbri etc to gain valuable experience?
Don't know if they were just wumming, but some posters were saying he's been offered a new contract. If true, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Eddy_JukeZ

Unfortunate that he probably got hit with loads of despicable messages on social media after the error.

I still don't think he should see a lot of meaningful minutes this season, but if he does, hopefully he bounces back quick from this mistake and plays well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I remember SAF punishing Nani by sidelining him after he gave the ball away at the dying minutes which lead to Chelsea scoring.

Ole needs to be ruthless here. Send this fecker to the reserves for a couple of months. He might have just cost us CL knockout places.
We should have been spanning them regardless but we had what, 2 efforts on goal?
there are still plenty of matches left to ensure we go through the group but we need to up our game

meninred

I am not big fan of Ole when it comes

1-His tactical knowlege

2 - Giving big contracts to mediocre players .instead of getting rid of them This makes our team maximum fourth in the league - not a contender for the title. Players like Henderson.jones..mata..lingaard..Bailly..Fred..Matic...the list goes on..ofcourse you need a squad but there are too many average players.
I am also concerned as a fan that Ole will not get the sack so long as we finish fourth every season..

van Nistelrooy

Mistakes happen, but the norm is to hold your hands up, apoligize, then move on.

Lingard decides not to apologize, makes it all about himself and uses the usual cliché rubbish.

I find it unbelievable how people accept and support this.

MattofManchester

Mistakes happen, but the norm is to hold your hands up, apoligize, then move on.

Lingard decides not to apologize, makes it all about himself and uses the usual cliché rubbish.

I honestly don't care what he does or says on social media. I imagine most don't.

What I do care about is that he's not good enough to be here and it is time for him to leave, but we're insistent on keeping deadwood.

Seij

It's clearly sympathy baiting, and it's working very well from seeing all the replies on Twitter and here.

van Nistelrooy

It's clearly sympathy baiting, and it's working very well from seeing all the replies on Twitter and here.
The United website is full of Lingard stories regarding 'bouncing back' and 'we win and lose together'. Did de Gea receive as much support when he missed the decisive penalty in the Europa League Final?

They already know he's going to stay beyond this season and are trying to make the decision to give him a new contract less of a shock.

lex talionis

It really is a pathetic indictment against the club that we’ve offered Lingard a contract extension. And worse, that we’re playing Lingard as an inducement to get him to sign the contract extension, which — absurdity on top of insanity — he refuses to sign absent assurances from the manager regarding playing time.

The path forward is to withdraw the contract extension, bench him for a long spell and let him walk on a free. We have work to do.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He did the back pass because he doesn't have the skill to turn and look forward. So it's not a "simple mistake". It's a terrible piece of play because he's just not very good.

Better players spin with the ball.

He's literally been doing this for seasons now. Passing it in the direction he's facing as soon as it gets to him. Yet people keep on defending him. He has not the talent or skill to take a touch, draw a player, use agility to turn direction quickly, wiggle, shimmy, create an angle for a pass.

He ALWAYS passes it quickly to which ever direction he's facing as he receives it. That's a bad bad player creating his own mishaps.

Wasn't a mistake. It was his level in its full and ugly glory. But yeh, Call it a simple mistake and let's carry on watching him do the exact same sequence, only further up the pitch where instead it hampers our ability to create shots on goal.
you shouldn't be turning in the 95th minute unless you're xavi or scholes.
clear it. do a proper backpass. whatever.

RedDevilQuebecois

It really is a pathetic indictment against the club that we’ve offered Lingard a contract extension. And worse, that we’re playing Lingard as an inducement to get him to sign the contract extension, which — absurdity on top of insanity — he refuses to sign absent assurances from the manager regarding playing time.

The path forward is to withdraw the contract extension, bench him for a long spell and let him walk on a free. We have work to do.
This. If I had to do it all over again, I would have kept Daniel James for the time being as means to force Lingard out of the door.

Someone above mentioned his celebration against Andorra as a reflection of how immature of a character he is, and I have to agree with that. The guy is about to turn 29 in December, and there is just no way he can turn over a new leaf if he has not shown more maturity both as a footballer and as a person by now. He's not so different from Kieran Richardson after all, and I rate Richardson among the worst disappointments among Academy players who made it all the way to the first team with a lot of promising parts.

lex talionis

Thinking there might have been a mitigating factor or some rational explanation, I just watched the Lingard fiasco again.

Everything that can be said has been said, but I’ll sum it up in two words: fukking hell.

Ole has to enforce some kind of accountability after something like this happens.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Thinking there might have been a mitigating factor or some rational explanation, I just watched the Lingard fiasco again.

Everything that can be said has been said, but I’ll sum it up in two words: fukking hell.

Ole has to enforce some kind of accountability after something like this happens.
I still recall Tim Howard having that unfortunate save vs FC Porto... He was f*ckin gone, even though he was still in a club for a bit longer, everyone knew it's somewhat slow death of his time in United. Sir Alex and his lightning ability to correct his own mistakes was motivator on it's own.

That being said, I've got a weird feeling Lingard would rather end his career now in United, than go somewhere else.

jem

I'm no fan of Lingard but I honestly couldn't care less if he apologizes or not. I just wish he wasn't getting minutes for us.

van Nistelrooy

I'm no fan of Lingard but I honestly couldn't care less if he apologizes or not. I just wish he wasn't getting minutes for us.
I'm not overly annoyed that he didn't apologize. It's mostly empty words from footballers on social media, written by someone on their payroll. I just wanted to oppose the majority of supportive messages in response to the Tweet which I simply found attention seeking.

Can't wait for both Cavani and Rashford to be fit enough for the matchday squad. Lingard shouldn't get any minutes then, but we all know what Ole is like...

MattofManchester

So according to Moyes, Ole had always planned to keep him.
Feck sakes.
We've been stuck with deadwood players dating back to Ferguson and every time it gets harder to get rid. From Anderson and Cleverley to Sanchez, Smalling, Young and now Jones and fecking Lingard.
But Ole wants to keep him.
I don't get it. Other than a few goals against Arsenal and other small clubs he's done absolutely sod all for us. He isn't even that talented a footballer.

The disparity in quality between him and Bruno is absolutely ridiculous.
Why are we keeping him when his wages and fee could have been used in future for another priority position?

Lingard, Mata, Matic, Jones..

What are we building a collection again?

city-puma

Exactly. I hope him drag himself out of this mess and prove he can contribute. I think he will.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What should he have said?

Of all the noise since Tuesday this critique truly is bizarre.
In a situation like this, I'd say there is nothing to say. Make yourself discreet and try to be much better next time you play. I'm not criticizing him for doing it, just saying I don't get this world where everyone has to justify/explain/apologize to fans. Fans don't care about that, they just want to play well enough. Maybe I'm getting old...

Status
Not open for further replies.