Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole hasn’t started him in a league game for over twelve months and sent him on loan last season. What makes you think he’s so sentimental towards him?
Because of everything what he said this summer about him and the fact that he was regular player for a year when Ole took over. People downplay Ole's quotes but Ole was pretty positive about Jesse and his status for this season. Those were not just standard nice words about player. That was pretty clear statement that he counts on him

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How can we blame the club?
The player is comfortable on our bench or in the stands. Our hands were tied.
How were our hands tied? We gave him a 1 year extension thinking we could sell him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How were our hands tied? We gave him a 1 year extension thinking we could sell him.
The extension was an option that was already in his contract. Like any club, it was exercised thinking we could get some cash at a later date.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lingard can play across the front 3 or even as false 9. 75k p/w wages too. Doesn't mind not getting lot of minutes. He's an ideal backup option, I'm not complaining that he stays. In comparison, I have issue with Donny who is on 120k p/w being kept in the cage over Matic though, should have been sold in the summer or going out on loan with option to buy if he is still the bottom of the pecking order which clearly he is as Ole played Lingard and Matic over him vs Southampton.

stevoc

He’ll play plenty - whether we like it or not.
People keep saying this he won't though because he's not displacing Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Greenwood or Sancho on the wings.

In the centre Bruno plays every game, pogba and Dvb will be 2nd and 3rd choice there.

Without Sancho and Ronaldo here last season he got 3 cup appearances. I don't see that dramatically improving this year with the options we now have. And I didn't even list Mata, Diallo and Elanga.

hobbers

Ole hasn’t started him in a league game for over twelve months and sent him on loan last season. What makes you think he’s so sentimental towards him?
I think Ole cares enough about his job to not just hand Lingard starts, he recognises that Lingard is not good enough to be a Manchester United player. But I also think he's known Lingard for too long to not have a soft spot for him. Nobody can say for sure obviously but I bet Ole gave Lingard the impression, after he came back from West Ham, that he still has a chance of fighting his way back into the team.

Proof will be whether he gets another unearned contract or not. If he does it sets another horrible precedent for just how little takes to earn a contract at this club, as if there haven't been enough of those already in recent years, and would be indicative of poor decision making from the board and from Ole.

The last year has already proven conclusively that Lingard is not a saleable asset. We triggered that extra year on his contract to get money for him and that has completely failed. Having him tied down on a longer deal won't make it any easier to shift him on. The only right thing to do from the club's point of view is encourage him to find a club to go to in January who will pay a token fee for him.

led_scholes

Come January, and assuming he has played 3-4 full games, he will probably try to find a new club. I think we will probably sell him for 4-5 millions.

I hope that by seeing that clubs did not want to pay for him this summer, the board will understand that renewing his contract will not protect his so called value.

Based Adnan

Poor mentality and attitude being happy to coast along at the age of 28 not getting games when he was wanted elsewhere and would play every week.

zenith

It's not that he was a very likable bloke to begin with given his horrible goal scoring record and all that jlingz bs, but basically just sitting on the bench and collecting salary, then leaving for free is sure to really endear him to the fans of his boyhood club

R'hllor

How can we blame the club?
The player is comfortable on our bench or in the stands. Our hands were tied.
Not talking for this specific case but how can you not? Its the club that gives those new contracts or extensions.

Eddy_JukeZ

Absolutely appalling decision from Lingard.

I get that as an athlete, you need to have self-confidence in your ability, but you have to be a realist too.

He is so far down the pecking order.

RooneyLegend

I mean, the player he was at West is one we could use. Throw him out there and lets see what he can do.

stevoc

I mean, the player he was at West is one we could use. Throw him out there and lets see what he can do.
What about the player he was here for 3 games last season?

There's a reason he played better at West Ham, teams give them more space to work in than they do United.

hobbers

He scored 9 in his first 10 games at West Ham but then 0 in his last 6. In the context of being a United player though it's all irrelevant.

The sad thing (for Lingard) is he fitted in really well in Moyes' system, with all the space to work in and opportunities on the counter, and would have slotted into that attacking quartet with Antonio, Benrahma and Fornals/Bowen. But thanks either to delusion or apathy his career is going to rot.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

There's a reason he played better at West Ham, teams give them more space to work in than they do United.
Very true. He ain't suddenly turning into a class player at Utd with his age. We've seen it all when it comes to him. There is no future at Utd for him if he wants to play regularly

RooneyLegend

After scoring a goal, we play in just as much space. He did better there because he was used better.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Poor mentality and attitude being happy to coast along at the age of 28 not getting games when he was wanted elsewhere and would play every week.
I think that’s a harsh assumption, we don’t know that

what we do know:

player has been at United since 7 years old
Player is home grown
Player went through a long period of more than a year not being able to fully focus on football because of issues around his mums health
Player brings up his little sister

considering all the above I think there’s a bit more at play than people just saying he’s got a bad mentality or attitude.

why for example would he have a bad attitude if he thought for a second that maybe there’s still a chance for him in Manchester, and therefore he won’t have to destabilise his family by moving to london? Particularly if the manager gave him a little hope

Djemba-Djemba

I think he'll look back at his decision to stay here this season as a major mistake.

He was one of the main men at West Ham and now he's going to struggle to make the bench if everyone is fit. He's 28, he should be playing every week somewhere.

He's been playing in the first team for Utd for about 7 years, he's clearly not good enough for where we want to be. He was struggling when his main competition was Dan James and Andreas Pereira, he's got no chance competing against Sancho and Greenwood and Ronaldo etc.

golden_blunder

Staff

His chances will obviously be even more limited at United but you could argue with teams trying to mark Ronaldo there will be more space for him to play in, and a midfielder who can score the types of goals that lingard has might be a good squad option to have

Pickle85

what we do know:

Player is home grown
Player went through a long period of more than a year not being able to fully focus on football because of issues around his mums health

considering all the above I think there’s a bit more at play than people just saying he’s got a bad mentality or attitude.

why for example would he have a bad attitude if he thought for a second that maybe there’s still a chance for him in Manchester, and therefore he won’t have to destabilise his family by moving to london? Particularly if the manager gave him a little hope
Agreed here. It also always surprises me how many people go off on one at players seeing out their contracts. It's the club's fault, not his.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think he'll look back at his decision to stay here this season as a major mistake.

He was one of the main men at West Ham and now he's going to struggle to make the bench if everyone is fit. He's 28, he should be playing every week somewhere.

He's been playing in the first team for Utd for about 7 years, he's clearly not good enough for where we want to be. He was struggling when his main competition was Dan James and Andreas Pereira, he's got no chance competing against Sancho and Greenwood and Ronaldo etc.
See above.

golden_blunder

Staff
Agreed here. It also always surprises me how many people go off on one at players seeing out their contracts. It's the club's fault, not his.
Exactly, there’s lots of reasons for him not wanting to go to london at this point in time, it doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s got a bad attitude

Red00012

Hopefully he leaves on a free next season it won’t even be mentioned as the talk will be losing Pogba on a free.

Saying that we’ll probably offer him a big new contract as he’s good to have in the dressing room as we’ll be losing Mata as well .

stevoc

After scoring a goal, we play in just as much space. He did better there because he was used better.
And yet in the last 4 years he hasn't replicated anything like that form at United. There's a reason for that, he suits a team like West Ham.

golden_blunder

Staff
And yet in the last 4 years he hasn't replicated anything like that form at United. There's a reason for that, he suits a team like West Ham.
The years are getting stretched more every time I open this thread. It wasn’t 4 years ago that he had his “purple” patch for United, the birth of Messi Lingard was it? If you prove it was I’m going to feel very very old

stevoc

His chances will obviously be even more limited at United but you could argue with teams trying to mark Ronaldo there will be more space for him to play in, and a midfielder who can score the types of goals that lingard has might be a good squad option to have
You could definitely make an argument that there would be more space for him in that scenario mate, but he'd have to actually be on the pitch to take advantage of it.

I just don't see who out of Greenwood, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Fernandes are being left out for Jesse Lingard. I've no problem with Jesse staying but he won't get many if any minutes this season.

golden_blunder

Staff
You could definitely make an argument that there would be more space for him in that scenario mate, but he'd have to actually be on the pitch to take advantage of it.

I just don't see who out of Greenwood, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Fernandes are being left out for Jesse Lingard. I've no problem with Jesse staying but he won't get many if any minutes this season.
I agree, let’s see how it pans out.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
There are several superior players in his position(s) which means he'll probably get minutes in matches of very little importance (league cup) which Cristiano won't even feature, so who's gonna get that space needed for him to operate?

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

what we do know:

Player is home grown

Fans are so black and white. This is a post which should be thread marked.

stevoc

The years are getting stretched more every time I open this thread. It wasn’t 4 years ago that he had his “purple” patch for United, the birth of Messi Lingard was it? If you prove it was I’m going to feel very very old
I'm starting to get very familiar with that felling myself mate. :lol:

But yeah almost 4 years ago now. He had his best form for United in the first half of 2017/18.

Leonzo1

Yes it was 4 years ago. Starting in November 2017 IIRC.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Saw this the other day and speculatively assume he's got an advisor somewhere who suggested staying at United because it's better for the brand.

I mean the fact he hasn't given up on the JLingz crap is a conversation in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.