4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilzFox

Don't hate him for a silly mistake like that. But can't stand a talentless hack like him is still at United.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
What has happened to Jesse? He seems cursed when he plays for Utd. I think he might not have the correct personality to play for such a huge club. I hope he can get over this and have a good season, however, he should be gone already.

I notice there is alot of sympathy for him for his mistake. I just think about what Roy Keane would have said to him if he was in the same team. Would have ripped his head off I imagine. You need that kind of determination and fight to win stuff.

Last edited:

Denis79

What has happened to Jesse? He seems cursed when he plays for Utd. I think he might not have the correct personality to play for such a huge club. I hope he can get over this and have a good season, however, he should be gone already.

I notice there is alot of sympathy for him for his mistake. I just think about what Roy Keane would have said to him if he was in the same team. Would have ripped his head off I imagine. You need that kind of determination and fight to win stuff.
I think he gets sympathy because we looked like losing anyways. We set up poorly after the red card and made some really odd subs.

RedDevilzFox

No, I am not a knee-jerk type of person with my opinions thank you. Everyone has this type of mistake in them. I can recall many of our good players doing similar. I will continue to think of Jessie as a good player.
Is that a blatant attempt of getting an easy 'like' here?

RedDevilzFox

He is not the smartest footballer. During 70th or 75th minute when he got the ball with no pressure he just kicked it towards the opposition half when in fact he could have passed it to Pogba. Then in the final minutes when he should have actually cleared it like he did 20 minutes ago he chose to play safeim dying moments and pass it backwards. I mean how can one be this dumb. Always felt he is not good enough for this club and today just confirms it.
So it was the mistake today that confirmed it for you? :lol:

SAFMUTD

Feel bad for him, he was on great form in West Ham scored a beauty last game obviously his confidence was growing but that stupid mistake ffs amateurish.

Anyway hopefully he recovers confidenc and this mistake doesn't end up fecking us in the group stage.

buckooo1978

hope he bounces back....terrible error he will crucify himself over

was unfair to bring him on as our sole attacker in that game

NK86

Reading some of Ole's post match comments, it seems Jesse will keep playing.

Ole is such a mediocre manager that he doesn't even seem to realize that we are pretty awful in possession as a team. It's not just 1-2 players, it's whoever is on the pitch and that squarely has to be on him with that squad we have.

NK86

hope he bounces back....terrible error he will crucify himself over

was unfair to bring him on as our sole attacker in that game
Was unfair on us fans having to see him play in the red of United ever in 2021. The time for him to be moved on was at least 2 years back. Hope we cut our losses instead of offering him another contract and being stuck with him.

Kopral Jono

My take on Lingard last night is quite simple: his mistake cost us the game, no two ways about this, but shit happens and he has no business being on the pitch for Ronaldo of all players in the first place. I really couldn't understand the thinking behind it whatever.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It wasn’t purely just Lingard’s mistake for that goal. It’s a team game. You win as a team, you lose as a team. But yea that was a really hard one to take in for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Feel sorry for him to be honest. Just such a terrible time and place to give the ball away. One of those occasions when an error pretty much costs you 2 points. Hopefully he recovers from it quickly. At the same time I really don't see the point of him at the club tbh. He's average for this level, and I thought he's already made that abundantly clear all these years, yet we keep indulging players like him and continuing to promote mediocrity. I wish we'd be more ruthless and effective at binning players.

manunited1919

Once Rashford and Cavani return, Lingard should never see a minute of CL football.
Don’t count on it. He had Martial and Greenwood available today at the time he subbed CR7. Both were better choices than Lindgard, but Ole wants to bend over backwards for Lindgard. Ole needs to get his priorities straight, and quick. MUFC is not redemption FC.

manunited1919

Look if the rumours are true and he's given the club an ultimatum that he either plays more or he won't commit to the the club then I'd lean towards loaning him to the Championship or just not playing him.

But neither of us make that decision, so while he's still here and playing we're obviously going to discuss the good and bad of his performances.
Indeed. It’s just that we have seen the movie before, and it’s a bad movie. They say the definition of stupidity is to do the same things over and over and expect different results. Ole better get smart quick.

Ole'sattheWheel

He shouldn't be at United. He was fantastic and happy at West Ham and it was really good to see.
I really think he stayed just because of Ronaldo

It wasn’t purely just Lingard’s mistake for that goal. It’s a team game. You win as a team, you lose as a team. But yea that was a really hard one to take in for me.
I'd really love to know how you work that one out. He had plenty of teammates available yet chose to play through their striker for a 1v1 with the last kick of the game. It was not just an honest mistake, it was braindead and stupid from a player who has form with that kind of thing, and not the sort of thing you can accept in a team challenging for anything.

stw2022

Any player can make a mistake at any time, it's not about 'a' mistake but more the pattern of immature performances for us. Players sometimes have to drop down a level to find their own. Maybe for West Ham was ideal for Lingard. I'm not the managers biggest fan either but why should it be seen as a mistake to trust a 28 year-old seasoned professional with plenty of CL and international experience behind him to do a job up front in the final phase of a game when we were against 10 men?

We know why that was a mistake - because it's Jesse Lingard. Because even his biggest advocates, if they're honest, still think of him as some kid who's going to be as mature and level headed as a child at Disneyland. That's why it's unfair on a player who turns 29 in 3 months to come on and be disciplined and do a job up front. Because its Jessee Lingard and he'd rather go 'weeeeee' and spin around in the middle of the park and then pretend to be a dinosaur and then have some spahgetti hoops, they're banging and maybe dab a bit then do another big spin around and then have a big, big bowl of ice cream and then go to sleep and dream about dinosaurs...

Yes that sounds ridiculous but I'm sorry but there's a reason I think many people's perception of Lingard is more that than a serious, mature, experienced professional footballer.

I think if he had the benefit over the last few years of an Alex Ferguson or a Roy Keane around the training ground he might be a different player. He did better at West Ham, maybe because he wasn't surrounded by people and a fanbase that were so forgiving and indulgent towards him because he had that much sought after characteristic of being a 'local lad'. For him playing for West Ham was a job, pulling on the United shirt is a dream and that seems to have a negative impact on his performance and concentration levels.

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Ole was cutting back the squad in the first two seasons but don’t know why he’s let it become so bloated again.

No excuse for keeping Lingard. He did well at WHU because he’s WHU level, not United level.

One year on his contract and getting on and you take 15 - 20 and move on. That’s more than Leipzig got for Sabitzer.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Any player can make a mistake at any time, it's not about 'a' mistake but more the pattern of immature performances for us. Players sometimes have to drop down a level to find their own. Maybe for West Ham was ideal for Lingard. I'm not the managers biggest fan either but why should it be seen as a mistake to trust a 28 year-old seasoned professional with plenty of CL and international experience behind him to do a job up front in the final phase of a game when we were against 10 men?

We know why that was a mistake - because it's Jesse Lingard. Because even his biggest advocates, if they're honest, still think of him as some kid who's going to be as mature and level headed as a child at Disneyland. That's why it's unfair on a player who turns 29 in 3 months to come on and be disciplined and do a job up front. Because its Jessee Lingard and he'd rather go 'weeeeee' and spin around in the middle of the park and then pretend to be a dinosaur and then have some spahgetti hoops, they're banging and maybe dab a bit then do another big spin around and then have a big, big bowl of ice cream and then go to sleep and dream about dinosaurs...

Yes that sounds ridiculous but I'm sorry but there's a reason I think many people's perception of Lingard is more that than a serious, mature, experienced professional footballer.

I think if he had the benefit over the last few years of an Alex Ferguson or a Roy Keane around the training ground he might be a different player. He did better at West Ham, maybe because he wasn't surrounded by people and a fanbase that were so forgiving and indulgent towards him because he had that much sought after characteristic of being a 'local lad'. For him playing for West Ham was a job, pulling on the United shirt is a dream and that seems to have a negative impact on his performance and concentration levels.
I agree. He is a child. Utd need men who get the job done, not Peter Pans like Lingard.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Throwing a kid under the bus like this, you lot should be ashamed. And to think we’re a club that prides itself on bringing through youth.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I just watched the Young Boys winner again and I still can't understand why Jesse didn't just hoof it towards their corner flag. There was nobody really closing him down.

stw2022

I just watched the Young Boys winner again and I still can't understand why Jesse didn't just hoof it towards their corner flag. There was nobody really closing him down.
I think that's what you get in an environment where a young player has matured with absolutely zero pressure or expectation. I don't think a player with Lingard's raw talent that he had as a young footballer who grew up in our side under a manager like Ferguson or players we had would make a mistake like that. Or at least if he did it wouldn't be typical. In someways it wasn't the mistake that's the damning thing, it's that there isn't a single person surprised in the slightest that he made it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think that's what you get in an environment where a young player has matured with absolutely zero pressure or expectation. I don't think a player with Lingard's raw talent that he had as a young footballer who grew up in our side under a manager like Ferguson or players we had would make a mistake like that. Or at least if he did it wouldn't be typical. In someways it wasn't the mistake that's the damning thing, it's that there isn't a single person surprised in the slightest that he made it.
It's worrying that so many of our players are similar in that when there's little pressure they're great, then go to pot when it counts.

I remember like a decade ago people used to always joke about how Arsenal would start seasons poorly. Then when the pressure was off they'd put together long runs of results. Only to get vertigo when they climbed too far up the table.

As a squad that's what we are. Jesse isn't the only one. As soon as we went top last season, and had to cope with expectations, we crumbled.

It's worrying that you are not only right, nobody is that shocked about Jesse's mistake. Nobody would have been shocked if half the players in our squad made a similar error. They've come through at a time when expectation is so low and they just can't deal with pressure very well.

Mike Smalling

How can you cash in on a contracted player who doesn't want to leave?
We tried, he refused to leave.
If he flat out refuses, there is of course nothing that can be done. If we were serious about it, Ole would have told him that he was not part of his plans in any way, so if he wanted to play first team football in the coming season it would be at another club - and then follow up on that promise. Place him in the reserves and don't include him in matchday squads.

Might seem a bit ruthless, but I have seriously had enough of this joker. That would also send a better message to the rest of the squad.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Bad mistake, but Ole didn't helped him with his poor positioning twice yesterday.

Anyway I would start him on Sunday against West Ham

mav_9me

Apparently turned down west ham to 'fight for his place' (eg play with his idol). Not much we can do if he'd rather run down his contract. I don't believe the club stood in his way if there were offers, like James.
Not much we can do? How about not play him? Every minute he gets is an indictment on Ole IMO because you don't take a player you are happy to sell and keep him part of the active rotation which in turn denies chances for young players like Elanga and Mejbri and denies chances for 40m pound signings like VdB (ahead of whom he got couple of chances)

NK86

If he flat out refuses, there is of course nothing that can be done. If we were serious about it, Ole would have told him that he was not part of his plans in any way, so if he wanted to play first team football in the coming season it would be at another club - and then follow up on that promise. Place him in the reserves and don't include him in matchday squads.

Might seem a bit ruthless, but I have seriously had enough of this joker. That would also send a better message to the rest of the squad.
Ole is too nice to do something so ruthless. A player who was nowhere near our first team plans now finds himself playing minutes in all our matches. Have no idea if it is due to us trying to get him to sign a new contract. I mean it's like trying to dump someone before she is leaving the country next year. However since she isn't putting out with you, you give her a ring.

It's absolutely mental how we cannot handle this situation by letting him go for peanuts to at least get his wages off the books. We are absolutely stacked. Why on Earth is he getting minutes.

Green_Red

People will say he gets a hard time from the supporters, but the supporters can only react to his performances and the barometer of his performances is the supporters reactions. He is on the pitch putting in the average displays, not any of the supporters.

As many have pointed out we should have sold him to West Ham, even if all we'd have gotten was a bag of magic beans.

Any offer of a contract extension should be removed now in case he signs the fecking thing.

Redcy

I think the hate on him is ridiculous, it was an idiotic mistake, made by an average player. The issue is that he should not have been playing, or at least he should not be put on to replace Ronaldo up front. There can be only one reason to do that, when you have Martial available, who yeah I don't rate much, but its hard to argue that he isn't in some run of form. Martial is at least a genuine forward, one of his skills is holding up the ball and taking pressure of the midfield. We had Greenwood available who again imo isnt really a CF, but he can play there, will give you an outlet and is capable of carrying the ball. So why does Jesse get minutes ahead of those two attackers in a position he should not be playing in? Its because we have promised him minutes, as part of the deal to get him to sign a contract, and now we have already heard, and you can guarantee it, he will be getting even more minutes or else Ole will kill his confidence completely and he won't sign that new contract with us.

Actual insanity.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s a terrible mistake and I wish he had moved on, but I think a lot of posters need to step away when United lose.

I don’t think Ole will ever win us anything and i don’t think Lingard has ever been good enough to play for United, but calling him a wanker and and making snide remarks about his mental health isn’t the way to go.

If you find yourself doing that, step away. It’s over the line and isn’t necessary.
Correct. A lot of posters showing themselves up

Status
Not open for further replies.