4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winrar

It really is a pathetic indictment against the club that we’ve offered Lingard a contract extension. And worse, that we’re playing Lingard as an inducement to get him to sign the contract extension, which — absurdity on top of insanity — he refuses to sign absent assurances from the manager regarding playing time.

The path forward is to withdraw the contract extension, bench him for a long spell and let him walk on a free. We have work to do.
If we're offering him a contract extension then that is the difference between us and Liverpool.

Putting rivalry matters aside, just look at how they brought in Allison and binned Karius after his blunder in the final vs Real Madrid. No sympathy. Needless to say it worked out well for them.

hobbers

What should he have said?

Of all the noise since Tuesday this critique truly is bizarre.
Nothing...? Or if he has to post something just some variation of "I'm sorry to my team mates and to the fans who I let down"?

Not that self-pitying "what it means to me" tone.

To be honest while the content is shit it's more the fact he made a post about it at all. It was a blunder that cost a point in the first game of the group stage. Not some Karius-level CL final howlers. Vast majority of players would just say sorry in the dressing room and move on.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It really is a pathetic indictment against the club that we’ve offered Lingard a contract extension. And worse, that we’re playing Lingard as an inducement to get him to sign the contract extension, which — absurdity on top of insanity — he refuses to sign absent assurances from the manager regarding playing time.

The path forward is to withdraw the contract extension, bench him for a long spell and let him walk on a free. We have work to do.
Who has the balls for that ? Ole is the one who insisted on him not being sold to west ham so he clearly wont be benching him.

Winrar

Honestly this kind of grandstanding after a seriously poor result does my head in more than it should. "we all need to learn from our mistakes and move on from this loss" yet it's the same story over and over again!

How about just do the damn job or shut the feck up!!!

United in sin

Nothing...? Or if he has to post something just some variation of "I'm sorry to my team mates and to the fans who I let down"?

Not that self-pitying "what it means to me" tone.

To be honest while the content is shit it's more the fact he made a post about it at all. It was a blunder that cost a point in the first game of the group stage. Not some Karius-level CL final howlers. Vast majority of players would just say sorry in the dressing room and move on.

Honestly this kind of grandstanding after a seriously poor result does my head in more than it should. "we all need to learn from our mistakes and move on from this loss" yet it's the same story over and over again!

How about just do the damn job or shut the feck up!!!
You're unreasonably harsh on the man. I find no fault with how he communicated his feelings about his mistake. It's no different to Beckham apologizing for mistakes like his red card for England at the 98 world cup or his blunder that led to Bolton beating us 1-0 in 2002 in the league, almost exactly 19 years ago. His apologies were well received by united supporters

Last edited:

hobbers

You're unreasonably harsh on the man. I find no fault with how he communicated his feelings about his mistake. It's no different to Beckham apologizing for mistakes like his red card for England at the 98 world cup or his blunder that led to Bolton beating us 1-0 in 2002 in the league, almost exactly 19 years ago. His apologies were well received by united supporters
Beckham actually apologised and said sorry for his red card.

It's also harder to take a tweet of contrition seriously when it's part of a timeline that is just endless posts where every single one has to include a picture of Lingard and some glib PR slogans. It's a minor miracle the picture he his PR guy chose he wasn't making any hand gestures for once.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

He's overstayed his welcome at the club. Everyone apart from him and the manager can see it sadly.

RedDevilQuebecois

If we're offering him a contract extension then that is the difference between us and Liverpool.

Putting rivalry matters aside, just look at how they brought in Allison and binned Karius after his blunder in the final vs Real Madrid. No sympathy. Needless to say it worked out well for them.
Absolutely. When someone has virtually no future at the club, there is nothing else to do but to let him go one way or the other. As of now, what does Manchester United owe to Mister Lingard after everything we have seen? I swear Ole needs to stop being a good guy sometimes.

Last edited:

United in sin

Beckham actually apologised and said sorry for his red card.

It's also harder to take a tweet of contrition seriously when it's part of a timeline that is just endless posts where every single one has to include a picture of Lingard and some glib PR slogans. It's a minor miracle the picture he his PR guy chose he wasn't making any hand gestures for once.
I like Lingard but I don't even view his social media accounts. You clearly dislike him but do. That's akin to machochism wouldn't you agree? I jest! Surely you can separate this thoughtful tweet from the others

He's overstayed his welcome at the club. Everyone apart from him and the manager can see it sadly.
He's a popular figure in the dressing room though so this is totally untrue

estel_manutd

Jesse doesn't have the right attitude to play for Man Utd. And, I don't buy the "that's how the modern player behaves" argument. Too much song and dance, and not enough ruthlessness for my liking. I really don't understand why Ole didn't want to sell him to West Ham.

hobbers

I like Lingard but I don't even view his social media accounts. You clearly dislike him but do. That's akin to machochism wouldn't you agree? I jest! Surely you can separate this thoughtful tweet from the others
I dunno if you can separate them, it looks exactly the same as all his other ones in format, with it including a picture of him looking sad.... I'd be quite surprised if he writes any of his tweets himself. Massively overanalysing of course - but I think if you write a tweet saying sorry you dont go and find a picture of yourself to post it with.

Nah I don't read them, I just scanned through them after seeing that one posted here.

Winrar

Beckham has contributed a lot more for us in our glory fergie years so understandably his apologies were better received.

Also as said before in this thread it doesn't seem like a genuine apology, more like garnering for sympathy, posting a sullen picture of yourself alongside. But that's just me - and if you want to call me an irrational "lingard hater" for this then so be it. I know he scored a winner in the FA Cup, but to me his time here has been a net negative for the both Ole and the club as a whole.

I do not believe he has a future at this club other than a bit part squad player, and if his blunder against YB is anything to go by it doesn't even look like he's worth it as a sub for games that we need to close out. Again it just increasingly feels like we should just cut our losses but Ole disagrees and that's all that matters - even though his reliance on Lingard seems to be hurting him more than it's helped him. But I'm just repeating myself at this point so I'll stop here.

Last edited:
So according to Moyes, Ole had always planned to keep him.
What a weird situation. :lol:

Have a club ever loaned out a 28 year old (or similar) and actively planned to keep him after the loan deal? I can't think of any. I can barely even think of any players his age being loaned out, other than with an obligation to buy or another financial reason

I really hope we didn't bring him back on a whim after a couple of decent months...although the alternative (that it was planned) isn't much better.

Last edited:

Passitlikescholes

I do not believe he has a future at this club other than a bit part squad player, and if his blunder against YB is anything to go by it doesn't even look like he's worth it as a sub for games that we need to close out.
Aside from the blunder, I couldn't see a single positive contribution from him against YB.

His performance, on the whole, was a typical Lingard performance and why he should have been sold off ages ago.

SAFMUTD

Who the feck cares if he apologizes "correctly"? We all know he didn't meant to feck it up, apologizing solves nothing.

I just hope if he stays is with a severe wage downgrade. Otherwise we better not offer him a new deal.

Red_toad

Jesse doesn't have the right attitude to play for Man Utd. And, I don't buy the "that's how the modern player behaves" argument. Too much song and dance, and not enough ruthlessness for my liking. I really don't understand why Ole didn't want to sell him to West Ham.
Maybe West Ham didn't have the money United wanted, so Moyes comes out and blames Ole to cover for it? Who knows...

rollingstoned1

Guy is 28 but is going to end his career being perennially regarded like a raw 19 year old youth prospect. It's a travesty that with everything going our way during the loan deal we still couldn't manage to sell him and have given him both playing time in a new season as well as a new contract(?). He's going to be our new Anderson and compete with Phil Jones for that honor.

Banana Republic

Great goal from Lingard to win the game today.
This lad will go far………………..with a bit of luck, as far away as possible.

Bobski

Said in the match thread, but it bears repeating, don't devalue the importance of an impact sub who can get to the pace of the game quickly. Something the other options may struggle with.

Idxomer

Redemption!

Best finisher at the club from that kind of position.

el3mel

That was an absolute screamer.

To be honest he always scored these kind of goals before regardless of his form.

ManRed

Can we stop the moaning in the game thread whenever he is coming on. Its embarassing

Josh 76

He is a big part to play this season.
Great goal !

The stick he got in midweek was shocking.

Mike Smalling

That's how you make amends for a mistake. Well done JLingz.

This guy is a complete enigma. Never know if it's gonna be a boy or girl.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Which is why he is a good squad option…

Status
Not open for further replies.