Jesse Lingard interview about his family issues

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
While he has my sympathy he needs to talk about this earlier with his manager. Doesn't matter if you're a pro footballer or flipping burgers at McDonald's. Work and life are intertwined and if one is affecting the other then it needs discussing. Your employer can help you work through these sorts of difficulties.

Perhaps that's part of the maturing process, mind.

Reactions: Twisted_Woody

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Credit to him for being open about the problems he’s had to face.

Too many males internalise issues and don’t talk about them. This naturally affects your working life and will also have an impact on your mental health

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I feel for his family and really hope everything works out well, but it does seem to suggest that he wasn't able to handle a level of adult responsibility, which is kinda what we were saying about him.

I guess in life we go through difficult things though and it's those experiences that help us grow. Hopefully it works out for Jesse and his family and his performances at the club from here on in :)

Edit: Think I probably sound a touch too critical here. Didn't mean it that way as it genuinely sounds like a noble thing to do.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

While he has my sympathy he needs to talk about this earlier with his manager. Doesn't matter if you're a pro footballer or flipping burgers at McDonald's. Work and life are intertwined and if one is affecting the other then it needs discussing. Your employer can help you work through these sorts of difficulties.

Perhaps that's part of the maturing process, mind.
Didn’t he say that he told his boss?

Jam

Eye opening candid interview, hope he’s getting the necessary support from the club and is managing to adapt.

Glad to see he finally approached Ole directly about it instead of struggling himself.

Inigo Montoya

Struggling a bit with this...

I feel for his family totally and really hope everything works out well, but it does seem to suggest that he wasn't able to handle that level of responsibility, which is kinda what we were saying.

Hopefully
How does it suggest that? It’s his family and he has a choice; support them or walk away. It appears that he made the choice to support them and I’ve been in the same situation. It isn’t easy but if you love them, then you make sacrifices

SteveW

Family problems can wreak havoc on work performances. Jesse seems like a young 27 year old and probably found this really hard to deal with.

Hopefully this explains why his form dipped so much and that he can continue the recent improvements. Taking Pereira out for and newly in form Lingard has really helped us.

It also goes against the idea that Ole has been soft on him all along like many claim. He told him he was on his last chance after the social media video and by the sounds of this interview was over him to improve his performances until he finally admitted what was going on. It's what I'd expect but many basically act like Ole is little more than a cheerleader for the likes of Lingard and Rashford.

Jam

I feel for his family and really hope everything works out well, but it does seem to suggest that he wasn't able to handle a level of adult responsibility, which is kinda what we were saying about him.

I guess in life we go through difficult things and it's those experiences that help us grow as people. Hopefully it works out for Jesse and his family and his performances at the club from here on in.
Bit different having to step up and lead the club to having to deal with his mother, and grand parents all simultaneously falling ill and having to deal with that and essentially be a parent to his siblings.

And its not either or. He was doing that on top of the increased pressure and scrutiny he faced as a senior professional player at Manchester United.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
How does it suggest that? It’s his family and he has a choice; support them or walk away. It appears that he made the choice to support them and I’ve been in the same situation. It isn’t easy but if you love them, then you make sacrifices
Sorry, edited my post after you commented. I didn't mean to criticise his decision to support them. I was suggesting that it was perhaps a reflection of his character that up to that point in his life he didn't seem the type of person who had the ability to handle something truly difficult like family problems (which are immensely challenging). Life is obviously a learning process though. I hope it all works out for Jesse and his family, and full credit for him stepping up to look after them!

Edit: This might be a bit too critical, I realise that.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You all seem to think 27 years old is some sort of mature age.

Sure it's mature for a footballer but not for a human. Jesus christ.

Im 29 and I'm struggling and I keep everything and all of it to my self.

red thru&thru

We should always support our players, I've said this a many of time. Sometimes, you just don't know what a player is going through, just like this.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

I guess in life we go through difficult things and it's those experiences that help us grow as people. Hopefully it works out for Jesse and his family and his performances at the club from here on in.
He’s a 26, not 46. He’s still learning how to sdult properly all whilst living life in a bubble that playing for United brings you. On top of that, he had his personal life at home flipped upside down by having to have his brother and sister live with him permanently. Sure he has space but that’s alot to be responsible for, plus it isn’t a stretch to say he’s immature for his age or seems to be. I certainly was at 26, still living at home. I feel for him and I’m pleased because it reads like he is growing up at last, and its awful he has these issues going on behind scenes, but hopefully now he can get on with his united career and feel a weight lifted abit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He’s a 26, not 46. He’s still learning how to sdult properly all whilst living life in a bubble that playing for United brings you. On top of that, he had his personal life at home flipped upside down by having to have his brother and sister live with him permanently. Sure he has space but that’s alot to be responsible for, plus it isn’t a stretch to say he’s immature for his age or seems to be. I certainly was at 26, still living at home. I feel for him and I’m pleased because it reads like he is growing up at last, and its awful he has these issues going on behind scenes, but hopefully now he can get on with his united career and feel a weight lifted abit.
Agreed. I think I'm being too critical tbh.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It's not just about wealth, money doesn't fix all problems. His mum was and still may be seriously unwell, his grandfather with cancer and him needing to take on the responsibilities of his younger siblings together with his new born.

It's not just a matter of throwing money at home school.

soralapio

Which is what a lot of men do
Precisely. We're taught from birth that men don't cry, men take it in stride, men deal with it, men walk it off. Luckily these things are getting better, but this kind of problematic masculinity where men are supposed to be able to handle everything and carry it all inside is one of the leading causes of death for men, because it directly leads to substance abuse, health problems and even suicide in far too many cases. I can't imagine how toxic it must be in a lad-centered "banter" world of football.

Feel bad for the guy, and I'm glad he finally managed to open up and hopefully get some help coping.

Reactions: jojojo

madzo2007

You're right 27 is no age, at the same age I was going through 2 family members being very ill and ultimately passing within a year and no matter who you tell how early whats going on, you still sink into your shell and become quieter and more focused on family or whatever is wrong. That ultimately leads to work performance suffering no matter how hard you try.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's a good article, as those who get upset at him having some fun online can see he's probably way more responsible than they themselves could dream of being.

mu4c_20le

Been wondering where FA cup jesse went. He is very much a confidence player, hopefully we can see the best of him again and he'd still have a future here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very sad to read, but weirdly reassuring as it explains just why he fell off the cliff in terms of performance.

I totally get that at that point he couldn’t concentrate, couldn’t put everything into his football.

sometimes we forget these guys are humans too and quite often outside experiences will shape how they perform.

I hope Jesse and his family are getting the help they need.

Heinzesight

I feel for him a little bit. Glad to hear Ole bollocked him for his video in the summer and let’s see if he can pull his finger out and get back the form that saw him labelled Lionel Jesse...twat or not, we need players performing and if he’s on the right track then great.

Did not know he had a kid.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Wow, glad he’s opened up about this, hopefully other young men will see it’s ok to struggle with things and talking is good.

I find him really likeable tbh, I’ve never understood the hate for him which mostly seems to centre around him enjoying life.

Sterling Archer

Better get used to it. The younger ones especially.

Your generation (and mine) is going to have to take care of the sickest generation of all - Gen X. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, autoimmune disease, obesity all at all time highs and CLIMBING.

So buckle in. Dying of old age is a distant memory. Now, it's which chronic illness got em? What color ribbon you going to get for your car bumper?

That said. The youngest generation will have a chance to reverse the trend as they're adopting more plant based, unprocessed foods.

Yes I'm using this as a soapbox. Not for vanity but because I care about people and can't keep my mouth shut when so much valuable information is not more readily available or dismissed by influential folks like JRogan. Consumption of animal products is the root cause. Your genes CAN be CHANGED by what you do today. What your mom ate changed your own genetic code. And so forth.

Also, glad to see Jesse seek help. That's often the biggest and hardest step to take.

DoomSlayer

I actually feel really fecked up by some stuff I said about Lingard in the summer, for which I apologise to him, if that even matters.

Something interesting in his admission is that Ole went ballistic over that video he accidentally leaked, whereas a lot of posters on the Caf tried to downplay it and that the manager would have no problem. It also shows that Solskjaer is as far away as possible from being a soft personality and just being all smiles all the time. What Lingard shared there as a whole has given me a lot more hope that Ole can achieve something special at our club.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How no one at the club knew what was going on is the concerning thing here, wouldn't have happened under Fergie this kind of thing

Feel for Lingard who has undoubtedly returned to form in recent weeks

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Most people have to wise up a lot sooner in the real world, or at least put on a good show to act like it, so I can't have any sympathy on that side of it. Of course you have to be seen to be taking a job seriously or questions will be asked. Especially one as privileged as that. To me these two things aren't linked either. There's him being daft a while back, before this, and then him having stuff to deal with.

Of course major sympathy about having a rough time with his family. Dealing with some things isn't easy no matter how privileged. Hopefully it works out better soon. And you with your struggles.

SteveW

Better get used to it. The younger ones especially.

Your generation (and mine) is going to have to take care of the sickest generation of all - Gen X. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, autoimmune disease, obesity all at all time highs and CLIMBING.

So buckle in. Dying of old age is a distant memory. Now, it's which chronic illness got em? What color ribbon you going to get for your car bumper?

That said. The youngest generation will have a chance to reverse the trend as they're adopting more plant based, unprocessed foods.

Yes I'm using this as a soapbox. Not for vanity but because I care about people and can't keep my mouth shut when so much valuable information is not more readily available or dismissed by influential folks like JRogan. Consumption of animal products is the root cause. Your genes CAN be CHANGED by what you do today. What your mom ate changed your own genetic code. And so forth.

Also, glad to see Jesse seek help. That's often the biggest and hardest step to take.
I'm sure there's a more suitable forum for this kind of stuff. Go preach there perhaps

roseguy64

How no one at the club knew what was going on is the concerning thing here, wouldn't have happened under Fergie this kind of thing

Feel for Lingard who has undoubtedly returned to form in recent weeks
Sometimes people are good at hiding things.