Jesse Lingard interview about his family issues

DoomSlayer

This.

Some disgusting comments like "thats him safe for another one year" Christ. People have actually forgotten to be humans.
I'm absolutely angered by some of the absolute shite I've read.

Some people can never admit that they were wrong, it's such a dumb human trait to have. I've made some bad comments towards Lingard in the summer for which I feel very remorseful now.

It was a great interview to read, gave so much insight into Lingard, his development and maturing process, and also showed what a great and stern man manager Ole is. Like Young said in an interview recently, he is totally different to the smily baby-faced assassin when a tougher approach to a situation is required.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
So when CR's dad died he didn't want to quit the team and go back to Portugal yet this guy cries to the media/coach about his family problems because his mom is sick and he has to play the daddy role :rolleyes:
That's a steaming pile of hot dog shit take you got right there fella.

Wow.

Varun

Staff
So when CR's dad died he didn't want to quit the team and go back to Portugal yet this guy cries to the media/coach about his family problems because his mom is sick and he has to play the daddy role :rolleyes:
Yeah, imagine not being able to give your best at work because your mom is sick. Absolute softie.

dal

You mustn’t forget however that maybe he’s speaking out to to encourage others to as a role model. He could have said it 6 months ago.

Regardless of football, I don’t think he’s united quality however this is completely different, it’s good what he’s done takes a lot of courage. Still a squad player lubolzies

I really like comments about OLE, that he was always on his back in training, you can really Ole is a bit of a rotty away from the cameras I like.

jackal&hyde

Makes me feel like a dick for some of the things i wrote about him. Goes to show you shouldn't be to harsh on people because you don't know what someone might be going through.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bloody hell, some of the comments on here are unbelievable and absolutely abhorrent, and part of the reason why blokes don't open up about stuff as they should.
It doesn't matter how old he is, everyone deals with things in different ways.
He probably didn't want to open up as he probably thought that he could play through it, that the joy would organically come back. Maybe when he realised it wouldn't he opened up.
I've been there, different situation but wanting to play through my situation, it got to a point where I had to take time away from the game. I'm back playing at a very good standard again and enjoying it.
Here's hoping Lingard gets back to his best.

The Urban Goose

Good article, thanks for posting.

My opinion of Jesse is changing. I've always thought he was a perfectly decent squad player, and when he's on form he brings a lot to the team (despite what many on here say).

However reading that and listening to him recently on the Utd podcast, he really seems to be maturing. That can only be a good thing for both him and the club.

Interesting snippets about Ole's handling of it too, they both come out of that with a lot of credit and Ole will now have a loyal player who will give his all to Ole.

The tide is turning at the club, we're back in good hands and it will only be a matter of time before we knock Liverpool off their f***ing forthcoming perch again.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At least it didn't hurt his social media presence and his commitment to the JLINGZ brand.

The Urban Goose

I'm absolutely angered by some of the absolute shite I've read.

Some people can never admit that they were wrong, it's such a dumb human trait to have. I've made some bad comments towards Lingard in the summer for which I feel very remorseful now.

It was a great interview to read, gave so much insight into Lingard, his development and maturing process, and also showed what a great and stern man manager Ole is. Like Young said in an interview recently, he is totally different to the smily baby-faced assassin when a tougher approach to a situation is required.
Agreed. Some people clearly think a footballer isn't allowed to have problems because they have lots of money, and money solves everything, right :rolleyes:.

No-one ever thinks about the stresses that can come with that role - usually a kid from a working class family who suddenly has lots of money thrust at them. Suddenly every problem that their family and friends have is his problem through requests/expectations to "share the wealth".

Not saying that's what's happened with Jesse, he might feel the responsibility himself from his fortunate position, but the money certainly doesn't mean he'll never have anything to worry about.

No doubt people will respond along the lines of "boo boo, let's all feel sorry for the spoilt rich kid" completely missing the point.

Welbeckham

Footballers are usually quite privileged to only focus on playing football, which is actually what it should be at the very top level. So when they suddenly have to take more responsibility and weight from elsewhere, it can probably be quite difficult to deal with. Going by Lingard’s performances, which have badly lacked his usual energy and confidence, his head probably really hasn’t been right.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Most people have to wise up a lot sooner in the real world, or at least put on a good show to act like it, so I can't have any sympathy on that side of it. Of course you have to be seen to be taking a job seriously or questions will be asked. Especially one as privileged as that. To me these two things aren't linked either. There's him being daft a while back, before this, and then him having stuff to deal with.

Of course major sympathy about having a rough time with his family. Dealing with some things isn't easy no matter how privileged. Hopefully it works out better soon. And you with your struggles.
Yes, most people do have to wise up in the real world. But unfortunately, footballers don't live in the real world. Footballers, dare I say, unfortunately, get plucked out of the real world at the age of 10/11 (sometimes younger) They are cocooned in the 'family' of the club, protected from the real world. Agents pander to their every need promising them the delights of money and all the other trappings. They miss a lot of their formative years and they leave football with very little real-world experience. Essentially a 30 odd year old teenager. I have sympathy for Lingard, no more or no less than anyone else.

M16Red

While he has my sympathy he needs to talk about this earlier with his manager. Doesn't matter if you're a pro footballer or flipping burgers at McDonald's. Work and life are intertwined and if one is affecting the other then it needs discussing. Your employer can help you work through these sorts of difficulties.

Perhaps that's part of the maturing process, mind.
Never a truer word spoken

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Yeah, imagine not being able to give your best at work because your mom is sick. Absolute softie.
In March 2014 my son was born and had colic meaning I had a year or so of averaging 4 hours sleep. 4 weeks after my son was born my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer which she battled like a warrior for nearly two awful years before it took her. Throughout it all I tried to be the rock for my wife, my son, my dad and my sister as well as my 90 plus year old grandparents who'd just lost their daughter.

About 6 months after my mum died, several of my work colleagues started telling me I was a miserable sod and my line manager got me in for a talk and asked that I go and see the occupational heath person as she was concerned about me.

Thank goodness I did, as it probably saved me a breakdown. I was 41 at the time.

I'm not sharing this for sympathy but because I wanted to say that there is no good age to go through challenging life experiences. But I'm also glad I wasn't going through them with people being vile to me online.

Varun

Staff
In March 2014 my son was born and had colic meaning I had a year or so of averaging 4 hours sleep. 4 weeks after my son was born my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer which she battled like a warrior for nearly two awful years before it took her. Throughout it all I tried to be the rock for my wife, my son, my dad and my sister as well as my 90 plus year old grandparents who'd just lost their daughter.

About 6 months after my mum died, several of my work colleagues started telling me I was a miserable sod and my line manager got me in for a talk and asked that I go and see the occupational heath person as she was concerned about me.

Thank goodness I did, as it probably saved me a breakdown. I was 41 at the time.

I'm not sharing this for sympathy but because I wanted to say that there is no good age to go through challenging life experiences. But I'm also glad I wasn't going through them with people being vile to me online.
Damn, that's rough man. Kudos to you for being there for your family really and glad that you got the help needed. Some here are beyond help unfortunately. When hate for a footballer makes you question things like why a mother being sick would affect you, there's nothing you can say to reason with them.

Darkhorsez

Same about your ability to post drivel in every thread unfortunately, such is life.
:lol: Seriously this board is embarrassing at times. Hopefully some of these posters will find a way to manage their hate and anger and find peace. There is so much more to life than football and posting on a board.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You should stick to moving pictures, words don’t work for you.

devilish

Same about your ability to post drivel in every thread unfortunately, such is life.
Thanks for sticking to the subject mod

We all have our share of problems. For example both my parents have serious health issues and don't get me started about me. However we all have to turn to work and do our job well else we get sacked.

I think that United had turned too soft. Players are kept past their expiry date etc. There was a time when winning was all that matters. Do you remember the time when we used to say that no one is bigger then the club?

TrustInOle

People really still playing these games in nearly 2020. Grow the feck up! Footballers or not, they have everyday struggles like us all and we have far less pressure on our shoulders, yet Jesse is supposed to get on worh it cause; he is a man, he is rich, he is a footballer, he posts stupid instagram posts....... so what! I think this highlights the Caf's, also maybe internet in general, inability to show empathy and would rather belittle a person going through an obviously traumatising experience. Ashamed we have fans like this supporting the club tbh!

TrustInOle

We all have our share of problems. For example both my parents have serious health issues and don't get me started about me. However we all have to turn to work and do our job well else we get sacked. I think that United had turned too soft. Players are kept past their expiry date etc. There was a time when winning was all that matters
There is also a time to show compassion and empathy, instead of belittling a persons life problems and thinking cause one person can cope to a certain extent, then everyone should do. Forget about the mental health distress it could cause, forget about the impact it will be having on his siblings or own child.

When we were winning left, right and centre, we allowed players to have compassionate leave for family issues, so dont start with that waffle. Footballers are humans too.

Snafu17

We all have our share of problems. For example both my parents have serious health issues and don't get me started about me. However we all have to turn to work and do our job well else we get sacked.

I think that United had turned too soft. Players are kept past their expiry date etc. There was a time when winning was all that matters
"Well if I can show up at my menial job every day, why can't this elite level player perform under the pressure that I will never have to experience in my lifetime, whilst also being significantly younger, less mature and experiencing significant turmoil in his private life for the first time?! United's all about winning at the highest level, like I do when I clock in and out of my job every day!"

devilish

There is also a time to show compassion and empathy, instead of belittling a persons life problems and thinking cause one person can cope to a certain extent, then everyone should do. Forget about the mental health distress it could cause, forget about the impact it will be having on his siblings or own child.

When we were winning left, right and centre, we allowed player to have compassionate leave for family issues, so dont start with that waffle. Footballers are humans too.
I am belittling no one. I was just stating a fact. Time and time again football seems to be given a 2nd-3rd priority to the person's issues, social media, the player brand etc. That's not what happens at serious club

I had my lion share of issues. My brother died young, my father suffered from a stroke etc. Don’t get me started on my health issues. Yet I am expected to do my job and do it well. Also I wasn't videoed humping a pillow during that period either

devilish

"Well if I can show up at my menial job every day, why can't this elite level player perform under the pressure that I will never have to experience in my lifetime, whilst also being significantly younger, less mature and experiencing significant turmoil in his private life for the first time?! United's all about winning at the highest level, like I do when I clock in and out of my job every day!"
What makes you think I have a menial job? What makes you think I was much older then Jlingz when tragedy striked? Name me a top club who has as many deadwood as we do

SoCross

I think that United had turned too soft. Players are kept past their expiry date etc. There was a time when winning was all that matters. Do you remember the time when we used to say that no one is bigger then the club?
Do you regularly get called a piece of turd by a large online community? Also FYI, to Sir Alex, winning was not all that mattered. He genuinely cared for his players. Just read the stories; most recent being Dong's. Sir Alex went out of his way for a bit-part player. According to you, that's just him being soft right.

devilish

Do you regularly get called a piece of turd by a large online community? Also FYI, to Sir Alex, winning was not all that mattered. He genuinely cared for his players. Just read the stories; most recent being Dong's. Sir Alex went out of his way for a bit-part player. According to you, that's just him being soft right.
We never had so much deadwood in our club. Also I doubt dong was paid as much as jesse was.

GaryLifo

My late grandfather remembered a time when digging coal was all that mattered and those 6 year old kids were made to just get on with it.

They also used to believe that homosexuality was a psychological disorder worthy of being locked up.

Have you not considered that taking the view that you do about your own issues, just might not be the best way to deal with them?

Withnail

That is a really callous comment.

Which is beside the fact that it doesn't even make any sense. Are you suggesting he should have kept it bottled up and never looked like regaining form again?

GaryLifo

I guess adversity affects people differently.

For some coming through bad experiences means they become more tolerant and understanding of others and for others it makes them bitter and twisted and misanthropic.

Contano

Being a rock for everyone, will suck the life out of you, as for Colic, I won't even go there......It's a hard one to get out of too, as everyone is looking to you to be the strong one. At the same time nobody asks how you are. Happy to hear you came out the good end and hope it all works out for Jesse too.
He's 27.
My guess is that alot of the negative posters on here are 27 or younger, or haven't yet been touched by life's "experiences" yet. If that's the case, happy for you guys too, but remember not everyone is so lucky so try to comprehend even though you find it difficult to understand.
Happy Christmas to all.....

Reactions: jojojo

Snafu17

What makes you think I have a menial job? What makes you think I was much older then Jlingz when tragedy striked? Name me a top club who has as many deadwood as we do
Well if I remember correctly you were in the work force in 1998 when Lingard was 6, so that makes you at least about 10 years older than him. Look even if we ignore your general demeanor, you're still unlikely to be working in the top percentage of your field, which is what Lingard does.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Personal issues wise I feel for the man, its not easy, but every one of us got probelms like that in the real world, on alot less monye, alot less sympathy, and people just get on with it
In the case of the everyday man if personal life was affecting your work, you`d get sacked
its no excuse perfromances aside hes 27, hes never been really good enough. Just saying it how it is
Have you thought that maybe your job isn't as competitive as his? Nobody will notice a small drop off in your performance most likely. Also, you're not a man child, good for you, everyone grows up in a different way. It's how they deal with the adversity that matters, and Lingard has shown courage so good luck to him. Hope he works it all out and kicks on with his football.

Withnail

I am belittling no one. I was just stating a fact. Time and time again football seems to be given a 2nd-3rd priority to the person's issues, social media, the player brand etc. That's not what happens at serious club

I had my lion share of issues. My brother died young, my father suffered from a stroke etc. Don’t get me started on my health issues. Yet I am expected to do my job and do it well. Also I wasn't videoed humping a pillow during that period either
Whether you think it was or not your comments about the brand and social media were unsympathetic and the very definition of belittling someone else's experience.

And rationalising it by saying you went through it too so he should man up and linking that to your team wining football matches is pretty grim.

Personal issues have to come first and people need to be encouraged to speak about them, get support and take some time out from their jobs if needed.

Sadly many of those who have kept things to themselves are no longer with us.

devilish

Well if I remember correctly you were in the work force in 1998 when Lingard was 6, so that makes you at least about 10 years older than him. Look even if we ignore your general demeanor, you're still unlikely to be working in the top percentage of your field, which is what Lingard does.
I assure you some of the worst things happening to me occurred when I was younger then him. Also you gave the solution to the problem yourself. If he cannot handle the pressure of being among the top 1% of his line then maybe he should settle for a less demanding job. Alternatively he could cut off on social media and the brand and focus on what really matters

Oh well

SoCross

We never had so much deadwood in our club. Also I doubt dong was paid as much as jesse was.
Cleaning out the deadwood is one thing. Being compassionate towards someone who have their own internal struggles in another. By the sounds of it, Ole has handled this well, by both giving notice regarding poor form and by being an ear to confide in to help Lingard out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Most of the people making the sly comments here have likely never experienced anything difficult in their lives hence the total lack of empathy.

It's the only way to rationalise such flagrant insensitivity without branding them cnuts.

devilish

Whether you think it was or not your comments about the brand and social media were unsympathetic and the very definition of belittling someone else's experience.

And rationalising it by saying you went through it too so he should man up and linking that to your team wining football matches is pretty grim.

Personal issues have to come first and people need to be encouraged to speak about them, get support and take some time out from their jobs if needed.

Sadly many of those who have kept things to themselves are no longer with us.
Actually I think that the club should 'man up' rather then him. If our players can get away with not performing then kudos to them

We are the ones flirting with 6th-10th place despite having the highest salary bill in Europe. Its up to the club to decide whether they want to be a successful club or the agony aunt/retiring House of football

devilish

Cleaning out the deadwood is one thing. Being compassionate towards someone who have their own internal struggles in another. By the sounds of it, Ole has handled this well, by both giving notice regarding poor form and by being an ear to confide in to help Lingard out.
Each deadwood has a sob story from injuries that ruined them right from being not good enough after giving so much to the club and problems at home. There is a difference between being sympathetic to them and keep paying them millions for a poorly done job. For example in Phil Neville's deal we got next to nothing in terms of fees cause we wanted him at a decent club. That's being sympathetic at a loyal soldier without keeping forking his salary

Also he can speak about his problems to his heart content. He can do so while promoting his brand or hump a pillow while at it. However there should be minimum standards at every work place that needs to be reached

Last edited:

Withnail

I assure you some of the worst things happening to me occurred when I was younger then him. Also you gave the solution to the problem yourself. If he cannot handle the pressure of being among the top 1% of his line then maybe he should settle for a less demanding job. Alternatively he could cut off on social media and the brand and focus on what really matters

Oh well
He literally said in the article that he's cut down on social media since the video incident which seems to have been before his mam got sick.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I guess adversity affects people differently.

For some coming through bad experiences means they become more tolerant and understanding of others and for others it makes them bitter and twisted and misanthropic.
True.

And devilish, I recommend physical contact with other people (other men especially) so you don't feel so lonely. Handshake, back slap, hug, whatever floats your boat. It will make you feel better.