Jesse Lingard interview about his family issues

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Then you should have said "There was a time when winning (except from a game or two here and there) was all that matters. ", because it's clear that even during our most successful era, players and staff, from top to bottom were allowed the space to deal with personal problems.

To the extent it's clear from your posts, you have been suggesting that Lingard should be criticised for prioritising family matters over football. But has he even done that? Sure, the suggestion is that his family situation has had an impact on his mental wellbeing, which has impacted his performances on the pitch. But that's not the same thing.

Not sure why you think it's worth remembering a time when Sir Alex gave the players the opportunity to sort out their alcohol consumption (to the betterment of their perfomances on the pitch). If you agree that reductio ad Ferguson is a valid argument then it suffices to acknowledge that Sir Alex would have been sympathetic and tried to help out - not just because it's the right thing to do, but also because it has the happy side effect of also being right for the team.

Whether you or he think he's overpaid and overplayed is not the point here.
I don't think anything fruitful comes out from public criticism really. Sure fans have the right to say whatever they want as we're not living under a regime but I am against having employees being criticised in public. I think that an employee should first be warned that their performance isn't good enough and helped in the best way possible however if the employee's performance can't be improved at a realistic time frame then they should be shown the door. Businesses are there to meet their business aims and not to nanny employees. Also bear in mind that money does do the talking whether we like it or not. The more you get paid, the more pressure you will have to perform and the less 'off days at the office' you can afford.

I also believe that incompetence carefully masked by sentimentalism has been the reason why the club has been gone to the dogs. The mask fell thanks to Woodward's recent interview were he clearly stated that under performing players would still be handled long term contracts simply because the club struggle in signing more then 3 players per summer window.

Sir Alex cleaned the squad because he had to. It was his job vs theirs. As a famous film said, its nothing personal, but strictly business.

He'sRaldo

I don't think anything fruitful comes out from public criticism really. Sure fans have the right to say whatever they want as we're not living under a regime but I am against having employees being criticised in public. I think that an employee should first be warned that their performance isn't good enough and helped in the best way possible however if the employee's performance can't be improved at a realistic time frame then they should be shown the door. Businesses are there to meet their business aims and not to nanny employees. Also bear in mind that money does do the talking whether we like it or not. The more you get paid, the more pressure you will have to perform and the less 'off days at the office' you can afford.

I also believe that incompetence carefully masked by sentimentalism has been the reason why the club has been gone to the dogs. The mask fell thanks to Woodward's recent interview were he clearly stated that under performing players would still be handled long term contracts simply because the club struggle in signing more then 3 players per summer window.

Sir Alex cleaned the squad because he had to. It was his job vs theirs. As a famous film said, its nothing personal, but strictly business.
From the interview, Ole was on Lingard's back for his poor performances, which is what you want to happen. Then when Lingard opened up, Ole was understanding to him not only to help alleviate the pressure, but also to improve his performances, and subsequently the team's performances, which is your end goal.

So what's your problem with this whole thing? Seems to me like the things you want to happen, happened.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I am sorry for the problems he is having and wish him and his family well and speedy recovery, family is the most important thing and life can be shitty sometimes.

One thing I don't understand properly here and feel free to correct me on this one. Lingard was absolutely woeful after that 1st game for Ole back in December, played pretty badly till the end of the season, then went on that famous vacation where he posted that infamous video where he looked like having a great time. Then this thing with his mom happened and his grandpa also? Or all of that was before?
I read his mom got sick at the start of this campaign. I too wonder why he played so poorly in March, April and May.

jem

Good interview - seems like a genuinely nice guy, who seems to taking responsibility for some of his mis-steps. I don't think he's good enough to start for us, but more performances like the last two, and I'd be happy to have him around the team.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
:lol: All my posts were removed due to them being off-topic but the others still remain.

Censorship at its finest.

Enjoy your heart disease, diabetes and cancer :drool:

BlahRules

Should we feel sorry for him for being rubbish yet again? Everyone has issues but if it’s affecting you to perform then maybe he should take time out.

dove

Should we feel sorry for him for being rubbish yet again? Everyone has issues but if it’s affecting you to perform then maybe he should take time out.
But he doesn't pick himself up in starting XI (I hope). As much as I think JLingz is a shit footballer, it's hardly his fault he keeps getting picked up.

BlahRules

But he doesn't pick himself up in starting XI (I hope). As much as I think JLingz is a shit footballer, it's hardly his fault he keeps getting picked up.
This is why OGS needs the sack. He chose to start Lingard over Pogba at the 10 position.

Lemansky

Family issues or not. He ain’t a very good footballer. All around a huge frustration watching him play. The last Man Utd player that irritated me as much was Darron Gibson.

Bojan11

Family issues or not he needs to move to another club because he’s not good enough.

van Nistelrooy

Woeful performance. Couldn't string a pass together and wasted a glorious chance in the opening seconds.

Oh, sorry! It's his birthday today and has this off field isssue so I'll forget about reality... 10/10 performance. MOTM and should have a statue of him dabbing built outside Old Trafford.

Stadjer

He should be allowed to spend time away from the club and be with his family. He gets the spend time with his family and we dont have to endure watching him play.

Win win situation.

Gomes

All attackers were woeful. Not surprising at all that he gets most of the blame though.

roseguy64

Not sure why people are talking about his game today in here. Do that in his performance thread. The hard ons of dislike of him won't produce any fair discussion in here this soon after the match.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You can feel sorry for his issues and think he is not United level of quality (shouldn't be a starter) at the same time. Don't see how one exclude the other.

Stringer

All attackers were woeful. Not surprising at all that he gets most of the blame though.
The player that has been poor for over a year gets more criticism than fellow players who have actually produced a few decent performances. Shocking.

R'hllor

Why people have a need to put a praise on him just so they could include "but", this thread aint for that.

Gomes

The player that has been poor for over a year gets more criticism than fellow players who have actually produced a few decent performances. Shocking.
Thinking that the player who has been poor for over a year is the reason why Ole shat the bed again is, I agree, shocking.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Feel bad for him for what he's gone through and is still going through but no goals or assists now in 26 league games for a forward player is worse than woeful. He's nowhere near good enough to be playing for us. Not even as a squad player. Lucky lad.

Le Red

It's understandable to have personal issues affect your professional performance, but if you can't get your shit together and function in a high pressure environment anymore, you can't expect to have your job forever. To keep Lingard in the squad out of pity is unprofessional, period.

Craig Ward

Agree with the majority on here.

Issue's he may have, but they sound like excuses for a footballer who has been poor for several seasons. I base my judgement on him based on performances. Am a critical of him? Damn right, he's an atrocious footballer.

I feel for the lad, but the sympathy card doesn't wash with me. A millionaire who doesn't want for nothing has family issues that we all do. It's harsh but that's life.

Whatever i got going on, i'm still expected to go to work and perform my role in a certain way.

Water Melon

Agree with the majority on here.

Issue's he may have, but they sound like excuses for a footballer who has been poor for several seasons. I base my judgement on him based on performances. Am a critical of him? Damn right, he's an atrocious footballer.

I feel for the lad, but the sympathy card doesn't wash with me. A millionaire who doesn't want for nothing has family issues that we all do. It's harsh but that's life.

Whatever i got going on, i'm still expected to go to work and perform my role in a certain way.
This, all the way this

James Ward

Feel sorry for what he is going through but absolutely hate his attitude, never liked him, never will.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Fair enough by me with the comments saying this does not justify his presence in the squad based on form only, as it should be because this is a football company and needs results

But there have been some quite miserable folks still slating him even in this thread, as in every other of the 20 threads already created to slate him. Yeah, they still need to be rude with him here, because he is an underperforming millionaire so he deserves it...

Yeah. Empathy is quite a rare ability

-Supreme-

I wonder if he thought he performed to a high level prior to his personal issues?

lurkingfan

As long as Ole uses him in the right matches (vs sides that attack us and leave space), I see no problem with him hanging around in the squad /shrug.

manunited1919

I just hope coming out with this interview at this time is not just a ploy to get the fans on his side as preparation for announcing a new contract. Regardless of his personal issues, his performance since February has been horrendous, and any club with aspirations should sell this player in the January window. Enough dross!

redtilded121

jesse Lingard on five live now part of the heads up project about mental health with Klopp and foden

redtilded121

Must be a pre-recorded show but I can't seem to find it.
it is broadcasting live now on radio five live there was an embargo until midnight restricting the playing of the interview .it will be on iplayer in an hour or so colin murrays show

0le

it is broadcasting live now on radio five live there was an embargo until midnight restricting the playing of the interview .it will be on iplayer in an hour or so colin murrays show
cheers, I'll give it a listen on iplayer.