Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mata always escapes the ire of the caf despite him probably offering less than Lingard, being more expensive and also shopped his contract. When we offered him an extension a couple of summers ago, he sat on it all summer whilst his dad shopped around and spoke cryptically about wanting a CL club and after no one wanted to pay close to what we were offering/weren’t interested he stayed. He wasn’t even a starter.

Lingard is doing what is best for his career, he’ll have a lot of options in the summer and probably from teams ‘better’ than WHUM. We overpaid him, can’t shift him & our asking price was too high, fault is ours.
Of course Lingard can do what he want in this situation. But I would assume Mata is a more important player for us on the pitch (slightly) and on the training ground. It's not a coincidence that he's spoken of as a future ambassador or coach. His mentality and professionalism is probably what has the club retaining him.

I've made a lot of posts about selling Mata and Matic, as they are both over the hill, but I don't know how important they are for a young side in the dressing room, for training, keeping up standards. I suspect they are both quite important in that respect.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mata is staying at United when he retires as a player - everything points to this. So, extending his contract isn't comparable.

One can always argue about whether it's the right thing to do - but the context is nevertheless very different. He didn't get a new contract because he's considered a crucial player here and now.

Redcy

Financially I don't think anyone blames Jesse for doing what he's done, and I actually unlike some don't dislike him, I do question why he would want to sit on the bench for 6 months when he supposedly wants playing time and to be in the England squad. One can only assume he has been offered some idea he might play in place of bruno, etc, but that seems like a bad idea, and I would rather see other players in that role such as Greenwood, Sancho, etc, or lets be honest VDB (who was not allowed to go either) who really should be getting those minutes.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Mata always escapes the ire of the caf despite him probably offering less than Lingard, being more expensive and also shopped his contract. When we offered him an extension a couple of summers ago, he sat on it all summer whilst his dad shopped around and spoke cryptically about wanting a CL club and after no one wanted to pay close to what we were offering/weren’t interested he stayed. He wasn’t even a starter.

Lingard is doing what is best for his career, he’ll have a lot of options in the summer and probably from teams ‘better’ than WHUM. We overpaid him, can’t shift him & our asking price was too high, fault is ours.
Agree with all of this.

Don't understand the nice guy Mata stuff and the idea that him ending up as a club ambassador means we should keep paying him hundreds of thousands a week. Dwight Yorke is a club ambassador and he finished his career at Sunderland.

We are treating Mata with more TLC than City treated Aguero. Its bizarre, especially when the club is briefing to journalists that it needs to reduce the wage bill before it can bring midfielders in.

Jesse rejecting a contract is a win for United. I wish Mata had rejected a new contract too.

Mentality Monsters

West Ham star doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Manchester United star for his JLingz brand, lets be honest.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In the cold light of day, I hope this is a lesson that United will learn from.
Lingard would be yet another player, on a long contract, getting paid far too much and not getting much game time here, same as Jones, Mata, Matic...
Obviously he is doing what's best for himself, but it might also be best for United in the long term too, despite missing out on a transfer fee.

georgipep

Agree with all of this.

Don't understand the nice guy Mata stuff and the idea that him ending up as a club ambassador means we should keep paying him hundreds of thousands a week. Dwight Yorke is a club ambassador and he finished his career at Sunderland.

We are treating Mata with more TLC than City treated Aguero. Its bizarre, especially when the club is briefing to journalists that it needs to reduce the wage bill before it can bring midfielders in.

Jesse rejecting a contract is a win for United. I wish Mata had rejected a new contract too.
We didn't extend Mata's contract but signed a new one so we get him on lower wages. The rest of the argument against him is equally BS. Every squad needs senior players to instill discipline and know-how on the youngsters.

We didn't extend Mata's contract but signed a new one so we get him on lower wages. The rest of the argument against him is equally BS. Every squad needs senior players to instill discipline and know-how on the youngsters.
His new contract still makes him better paid that the top earners at most of the other Premier League clubs.

Fine if you don't think that money, and the money that's being paid out to other players who have relatively little use to the first XI, would not be better served on new recruits.

I can still remember Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce leaving Man Utd just like that. No fanfare, no ceremony. Players who have done much more for United than Mata, likeable as he is.

I just find it strange that because he is a nice guy, and was an important player for us four or so years ago, we keep paying him to hang around.

Lets be frank with Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial and Pogba around, Mata is highly unlikely to get many games in our front three. A new deal for him was a waste of money. Just like a new deal for Jesse would be a waste of money.

georgipep

His new contract still makes him better paid that the top earners at most of the other Premier League clubs.
What makes you say that?

Fine if you don't think that money, and the money that's being paid out to other players who have relatively little use to the first XI, would not be better served on new recruits.

I can still remember Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce leaving Man Utd just like that. No fanfare, no ceremony. Players who have done much more for United than Mata, likeable as he is.

I just find it strange that because he is a nice guy, and was an important player for us four or so years ago, we keep paying him to hang around.

Lets be frank with Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial and Pogba around, Mata is highly unlikely to get many games in our front three. A new deal for him was a waste of money. Just like a new deal for Jesse would be a waste of money.
As I said in my previous reply, senior players have a key role to play in the squad. Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial, and even Pogba, cannot provide the experience, professionalism, dedication that players like Mata and Matic can and do.

What makes you say that?

As I said in my previous reply, senior players have a key role to play in the squad. Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial, and even Pogba, cannot provide the experience, professionalism, dedication that players like Mata and Matic can and do.
The reports I've seen Mata is still paid more than 100 grand a week. Of the 20 clubs in the Premier League very few pay that level of salary. For comparison Harry Kane, Spurs' best player, is on £125k a week.

Mata and Matic's experience is worthless if they can't play. They're effectively just additional coaches, and how much does their experience add to that of Solskjaer, Phelan, Carrick and Fletcher when it comes to winning silverware?

When United won the title in 1993 we had no experience of winning the title for 27 years. Our most important players were not driven by the experience of winning lots of trophies. Liverpool won the league basically relying on the experience of ex-Southampton players. Although, if you think experience is vital, surely the experience of DeGea, Varane, Cavani and, now, Ronaldo, is more than enough.

I like Mata. I think he'd be great to have a chat with. He seems a genuinely good guy. I just don't understand the benefit of paying him, Jesse and others hundreds of thousands a week when we could cut those costs and reinforce our midfield.

georgipep

The reports I've seen Mata is still paid more than 100 grand a week. Of the 20 clubs in the Premier League very few pay that level of salary. For comparison Harry Kane, Spurs' best player, is on £125k a week.
According to this website: https://salarysport.com/football/player/harry-kane/
Kane makes £200k/week. According to the same website Mata's old deal was £130k/week. Every single media reports he has agreed to a lower salary. Only the teamtalk rag reports £100k, nowhere else I could find anything for his new wages.

Mata and Matic's experience is worthless if they can't play. They're effectively just additional coaches, and how much does their experience add to that of Solskjaer, Phelan, Carrick and Fletcher when it comes to winning silverware?
You do know that players and staff spend a lot more time together in training then playing competitive games, right? And the senior players' experience and professionalism is important EXACTLY on the training field, where they need to show dedication and maximum effort to better themselves.

When United won the title in 1993 we had no experience of winning the title for 27 years. Our most important players were not driven by the experience of winning lots of trophies. Liverpool won the league basically relying on the experience of ex-Southampton players. Although, if you think experience is vital, surely the experience of DeGea, Varane, Cavani and, now, Ronaldo, is more than enough.

I like Mata. I think he'd be great to have a chat with. He seems a genuinely good guy. I just don't understand the benefit of paying him, Jesse and others hundreds of thousands a week when we could cut those costs and reinforce our midfield.
I never said anything about title winning experience. I said experience, professionalism, discipline and dedication. I am sure De Gea, Varane, Cavani and Ronaldo are a good influence but I don't see how we can judge what is "enough experienced players". Mata is also an inspiration off the field so any athlete. Both him and Matic also show how a professional top player is supposed to compete for places and not throw their toys when they're not getting it their way. There are a ton of benefits of having them in the squad. I'm sure both Ole and the club management are looking at the financials of having them in the squad or out of it and this is a very conscious decision.

EDIT:

When it comes to the wages Mata and Kane are taking. Some people will feel that Kane deserves to make more than 2x what Mata makes. And that may be true. But please compare their accomplishments too:

vs

Last edited:

redMundo

Wish Lingard would just p1ss off tbh. Had more than his fair share of chances here and isn’t up to it.
Utter disgrace giving him minutes over VDB.
No wonder he stayed, gets his insta selfies with Ronaldo now.

Genuinely makes me sick with Ole

Wish Lingard would just p1ss off tbh. Had more than his fair share of chances here and isn’t up to it.

Yeah it pisses me off seeing him still getting game time at united. For all the good Ole has done, Lingard is a reminder of all that's been wrong over the years since SAF

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
His next move might be a drag back, or a dummy, or an assist. Nobody knows. But he's playing good.

redMundo

Embarrassing comments in here. You aren’t real United fans as far as I’m concerned.
Good job I don’t care about what concerns you then. I want Lingard to leave because I’m a proper Manchester United fan and I want what’s best for the team.
Enjoy following his social media though, whatever floats your boat.

The timing of my post was hilarious to be fair…..guy has scored one goal for us in about 3 years then pops one in the corner 5 minutes after I slate him haha.
I Wonder what Donny could have done with the minutes given to Lingard today?

Offsideagain

The Warrington Ronaldo scored a good goal today. I reckon he will be used as a makeweight in a move for Rice. We desperately need a player like Rice to complete the team.

Redcy

Good finish by lingard, who is in a purple patch, still doesn’t resolve the fact he will be getting minutes now to try and ensure he signs a new contract, so we can keep his value.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good finish by lingard, who is in a purple patch, still doesn’t resolve the fact he will be getting minutes now to try and ensure he signs a new contract, so we can keep his value.
If he gets minutes it will be because he’s doing something right. There doesn’t need to be a conspiracy theory

davidmichael

If Lingard is kept only as back up to Fernandes then I’m ok with it as Lingard is a much better shadow striker or 10 than VDB is, I still think VDB would be better as one of the double pivot in my opinion.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
So many threads with people who could turn even the best party into a funeral level occasion.

I wonder if they have ever experienced joy?

Adamsk7

I swear we are becoming Moanchester United.
Jesse took his chance when he came on and played well - I’d rather him spend his last year ( or maybe he’ll renew) contributing and being a productive member of the squad. When he does so, to get on his back is just…well.

support the team and support the players please. It seems some of you need a scapegoat even when one isn’t offered up.

Matt851

I swear we are becoming Moanchester United.
Jesse took his chance when he came on and played well - I’d rather him spend his last year ( or maybe he’ll renew) contributing and being a productive member of the squad. When he does so, to get on his back is just…well.

support the team and support the players please. It seems some of you need a scapegoat even when one isn’t offered up.
Great he scored but still should have been sold to raise money for a cm

Andersonson

What the heck are posts like this?

Yes, you don't like Ole playing Lingard over Donny, fine. No need to cry and post several posts about it.

And it ain't gonna change. Lingard is a better player, wether you like it or not

Dante

Average bang
If Souness had said the same things about Lingard as some of the posters in this thread, he'd be called an ABU.

In fact, he's probably less anti-Pogba than some of you are anti-Lingard.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Great goal today.

He's a real asset if he is happy being a sub, he's a superb player.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One more and he breaks the ceiling of 20 league goals in just 6 years as a first team regular... go on Jesse lad, invaluable.

NK86

he will continue to make his haters eat their words
One goal in about 6 months football for us (when we were up 3-1 with a couple of mins left to play) and yeah, he is going to make his doubters eat their words. Some of you lot seem to have memories which don't last more than the previous day it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.