Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

I would prefer to sell but don’t think it’s the worst move to keep him as Bruno backup. Ultimately - Ole needs to decide if something has clicked during the loan move and he can now perform consistently or whether it was just a flash in the pan.

Our MF would then be DVB, new 6, Fred, McT, Matic, Bruno and Lingard assuming Pogba leaves. If Pogba stays; then no point keeping Jesse. We can then let Garner do another year of loan.
If Pogba stays no new 6, lets be honest we are not getting a new midfielder. Lingard is like a new signing.

He wasnt consistent across the games he played for west ham ffs, but he is staying so its irrelevant. Solskjaer has name checked him again.

Jezpeza

Everyone needs to relax. We had no one else to play pre season but him and pereira. They will not be here when the transfer window ends

lucashood

Westham have some cheek to say they are being priced out of a move for Jessy at 30 million when they want 100m for Rice themselves

Valencia Shin Crosses

Westham have some cheek to say they are being priced out of a move for Jessy at 30 million when they want 100m for Rice themselves
Especially since we’d gladly do that as a swap.

Personally I’m bummed to see Jesse staying mainly because it’s just good business to capitalize on his success last year to get a decent price instead of having him rot on our bench and underperform here, killing his value again.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
May as well keep him without Rashford possibly being out for 3 months or so and Cavani not playing two games a week. We need bodies.

hobbers

In before the inevitable contract extension. £120k a week for another 4 years, and we'll spend each of those 4 years wondering why the feck no one wants to buy him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I'm perplexed in general by West Ham's transfer activity (or lack of it) this summer. They're playing Europa League next year, which can be a huge adjustment for clubs doing that for the first time in a long while, and right now they have a smaller squad than last year. They had only 16 players who played more than 710 league minutes last year, three of them are gone, and nobody has come in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm perplexed in general by West Ham's transfer activity (or lack of it) this summer. They're playing Europa League next year, which can be a huge adjustment for clubs doing that for the first time in a long while, and right now they have a smaller squad than last year. They had only 16 players who played more than 710 league minutes last year, three of them are gone, and nobody has come in.
It is weird. Mid table English clubs make a lot of noise about qualifying for Europe but treat the tournament as a nuisance when it actually begins. West Ham have no intention of going far in the cup.

Pavl3n

It is weird. Mid table English clubs make a lot of noise about qualifying for Europe but treat the tournament as a nuisance when it actually begins. West Ham have no intention of going far in the cup.
They don't have the squads to compete on all fronts and at the end of the day they're getting a better pay for a higher league position than a further development in a cup, even if it's European Cup. I remember Burnley nearly got relegated the season the competed in the EL.

James35

Maybe there will be coaching role for him also after his inevitable new long term contract.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well, he is staying isn't it. Not that I have a problem as he is our own boy and deserves support after his personal issues.

Should be willing to move to any midtable club though. He just isn't good for a CL club. A club like Villa would actually be a perfect move.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They know they can't win it. Staying in PL is what they want. Can you blame them?

Pavl3n

Everyone needs to relax. We had no one else to play pre season but him and pereira. They will not be here when the transfer window ends
I agree that Pereira will be definitely gone (if there's a club with a reasonable offer), but Lingard is staying. He likes his paycheck, he likes being at United and above all that good run of form he had last season has made him delusional and he thinks he'll be able to displace Bruno.
The only reason worth keeping him is so he can cover for Rashford, while Marcus is recovering from the surgery.

If he is so adamant that he wants to stay - we should offer him a contract with a big wage cut. Let's see if it's love for the club or love for the money.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They know they can't win it. Staying in PL is what they want. Can you blame them?
I get that logic and its pretty understandable. But I also highly doubt that they're going to field an all U23 team in that competition. So they really do need a deeper squad than they had last year and so far they have a thinner one. The window obviously isn't closed yet but they definitely have some work to do.

redshaw

Very few clubs like to give us money it seems for the few good players we've had, it's loans and lowball offers. When you look at the players West Ham have bought for 20m+ it's quite odd after what Lingard had done for them. Everton another one. The want mega fees from us and will happily splash the money around for other players though.

Evans999

He's going to stay. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start the first game after a full pre season.

Gandalf

If he is so adamant that he wants to stay - we should offer him a contract with a big wage cut. Let's see if it's love for the club or love for the money.
I agree with this, we just need to make it a sensible deal if he is not going to be sold, not 4 or 5 years. His current contract expires in 2022 so extend him to 2023 and maybe add an option on the clubs side for a further year if we want it. Negotiate a lower wage in return for the security of the additional year and his status as a squad option. On those terms I would be fine with him staying, I really doubt anyone would pay more than 15m for him anyway and if he is used sparingly he is decent squad depth to allow us to give our other attacking players a break in cup games etc. We are likely to play in excess of 60 games if the season goes well and so depth will be needed.

EdinburghDevil

I think he will stay. Would be happy if he was sold, but also happy to have him in the squad if he plays how he did on loan at WH.

Wonder if Villa will come calling for him with Grealish money. However, I think they've spent most of that already. Quite clever, spend it knowing Grealish will go before everyone knows you have £100m in the bank.

Jezpeza

I agree that Pereira will be definitely gone (if there's a club with a reasonable offer), but Lingard is staying. He likes his paycheck, he likes being at United and above all that good run of form he had last season has made him delusional and he thinks he'll be able to displace Bruno.
The only reason worth keeping him is so he can cover for Rashford, while Marcus is recovering from the surgery.

i dont think we need him to cover for Bruno. We have Pogba at present for that or we can use DVB.

on the wings we can move sancho left for start of season or play James or Elanga or Amad.

personally think someone will lowball us or take him on loan with onligation to buy later for their cashflow late in the window and we will get shot. People arent stupid. Despite his little cameo for west ham everyone knows he is in the bargain bin with the likes of jones, pereira, dalot etc. No one is paying top dollar for him and frankly i dont think hes worth that much

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His contract expires next summer. If i am his advisor I will tell him to run down his contract, assume Man Utd won't offer him an extension with better terms.

stevoc

His contract expires next summer. If i am his advisor I will tell him to run down his contract, assume Man Utd won't offer him an extension with better terms.
Yeah I think that's what's happening here. United are asking too much and Lingard prefers to sit out his contract and get a bigger contract somewhere next year than he would if the Club had to pay £20m for him.

davidmichael

If we are keeping Lingard then it has to be ONLY as back up for Fernandes in the number 10 role, Lingard must NEVER be used out wide at any point as that’ll basically be going backwards.

It was clear last season that VDB is NOT a 10 therefore should never be used as back up to Fernandes and if anything VDB should be used as a deep lying playmaker in a midfield two alongside a defensively minded midfielder, I’d love to capitalise on Lingard being a hit last season at West Ham and selling him but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

Infra-red

He'll stay and sign a new deal so we can "preserve his value". When he's 32, rotting on the bench and nobody is interested in taking on his £200k p/w wages, we'll wonder what went wrong.

redpatron

this 100% what he's doing. Tell the press and the papers he's enjoys playing for the club, wants to fight for his position in the team, and wants to win trophies. Get the people behind you again. Than, in February he's going to have a fake season ending injury and it's going to leak he's signed for another club. Ander Herrera did the same thing

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yeah I think that's what's happening here. United are asking too much and Lingard prefers to sit out his contract and get a bigger contract somewhere next year than he would if the Club had to pay £20m for him.
It would be extremely unfortunate for 28 year old player with any dose of ambition to spend whole season on the bench. At this point he probably knows bench will kill his career further.

gajender

On the contrary his advisor should be convincing him to move on if he is being offered decent contract length and wages ,he is coming off a good half a campaign his stock is quite high right now but another average campaign as peripheral figure at United which truth to be told is more likely than the purple patch he had at West Ham his options might not be that great come next summer.

Gandalf

We're mental if we keep him.
I think the major issue seems to be that whilst we hear vague noises about interest in Jesse there has not actually been a concrete bid from anyone and I am not sure one will emerge. The trend towards loan deals in this COVID economy is an indication that outside of the elite most clubs just don't have cash to spend right now. United are clearly not interested in loaning Jesse when his contract is expiring and that is why talk of a shorter term extension and keeping him around for another year is gaining traction, the hope would be that he can have some decent cameo performances and maybe the market will be a little bit more robust next summer.

passing-wind

Hopeful 20-25 mill to West ham is good business . It's not so much that Lingard is a bad player it's that he's got no use in this current United team. He's not good enough to compete with Bruno and if Solskjaer intends to go three man midfield his career is more or less over.

Iron Tulip

If Pogba stays no new 6, lets be honest we are not getting a new midfielder. Lingard is like a new signing.

He wasnt consistent across the games he played for west ham ffs, but he is staying so its irrelevant. Solskjaer has name checked him again.
Honestly, we need to move him on. His career is going nowhere with united as he will never get the run of games he needs to find form which then in turn causes united fans to slate him and the nightmare merry-go-round continues for him.

I actually feel sorry for him, he had a great season at West Ham and should have kicked on with his career - I'm surprised he wasn't snapped up before the Euros finished.

stevoc

It would be extremely unfortunate for 28 year old player with any dose of ambition to spend whole season on the bench. At this point he probably knows bench will kill his career further.
From all reports last summer he was also made aware that he wasn't part of Solkjaers plans (which he wasnt) and he stayed then as well. He probably doesn't mind a year on the bench, plus United will probably try to loan him now or in January again to get him off the wage bill.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
From all reports last summer he was also made aware that he wasn't part of Solkjaers plans (which he wasnt) and he stayed then as well. He probably doesn't mind a year on the bench, plus United will probably try to loan him now or in January again to get him off the wage bill.
Fair enough, I just hope West Ham will get him in the end, the minute he joined new environment he resurrected his entire career in matter of weeks.

From what I see, Ole wants good for him and any player for that matter, which means maybe they'll find solution, this summer. The price should slightly go down in next three weeks.

Matthew84!

I wanted Lingard to leave and i thought 25m would of been a fair price but I think he realises Utd have a good chance of winning something this season, West ham on the other hand will struggle this season. Can't blame him for wanting to stay.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wanted Lingard to leave and i thought 25m would of been a fair price but I think he realises Utd have a good chance of winning something this season, West ham on the other hand will struggle this season. Can't blame him for wanting to stay.
He would be a star player at West Ham & will barely get a sniff at United. Bizarre move.

Status
Not open for further replies.