Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2Lose

Stay for a year on a £100k and then go to who ever will pay him the highest.

Wasted his career.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It would be incredibly unambitious though, with the WC being a year away and England having a genuine chance to win it. As a player in your peak, what does that say about you if you are willing to sit on your arse for a year and miss out on representing your country, maybe the last chance you will have to do so as well. That's to say nothing about the prospect of playing week in week out at a club with respectable chance for European competition and top half PL finish.
Why I said different things motivate different players. He might value 10/15 games with Man Utd more than 30+ games for West Ham.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He is in the England squad but not Greenwood :lol:
What baffles me more is this narrative about a "plan" for greenwood or he'll have his time in the future - yet Saka was supposedly ready. Southgate couldn't wait to get Lingard back in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why I said different things motivate different players. He might value 10/15 games with Man Utd more than 30+ games for West Ham.
Wasn’t there also some rumours that after a good start with them he found himself the brunt of a lot of the dressing room jokes lead mostly by Mark Noble and he wasn’t particularly enamoured with the idea of going back to that.

Someone

Something
I'm amazed that he'd rather stay knowing very well that he's isn't in our plans, specially after his great spell with west ham. I get that he could get a better contract next year when he's a free agent, but he had momentum from last season, and a year on the bench won't do him any good.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wasn’t there also some rumours that after a good start with them he found himself the brunt of a lot of the dressing room jokes lead mostly by Mark Noble and he wasn’t particularly enamoured with the idea of going back to that.
I can't believe that, Mark Noble always came across to me as a nice guy.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think West Ham will consider him next year even on a free. Lingard's practically taking the bench over being a first teamer for them.
If I was a Hammers fan, I'd say screw him.

hobbers

Even though I said I dont particularly care if he stays, provided it doesn't end up with us pissing more money away on a pointless and humiliating contract extension, I still hope it's the end of his England career for good.

If you have no interest in finding regular football you dont deserve to be anywhere near even the thought of playing for your national team. If that was a priority for him he should have moved heaven and earth to get a transfer this summer and he's obviously done the opposite

InfiniteBoredom

Yes, I get that. But unless he has assurances from Ole about a new deal, all he is doing is delaying the inevitable of playing for a club like West Ham for a year, and in the process miss out on a genuine chance for silverware with England for feck knows how long in exchange for some more money in the pocket next summer.

I'm hardly bothered about him staying, we waste enough money as it is that his wage is barely even worth mentioning, but on face value, it's just a mind boggling decision from a sporting perspective.

VivaRonaldo85

Bit part till Christmas then I can see him going in the January window. Shocked he’s not moved on over the summer unless something mad happens in the next 24 hours.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In all seriousness, I think there'd unfortunately be a bit of resentment aimed towards him from the fans if he stays. If we don't end up signing a midfielder tomorrow, then rightly or wrongly, the fans will assume it's down to players like Jesse refusing to leave just to warm the bench here, possibly depriving us of the fees we need to improve a glaring weakness in our team.
And they’d be wrong. By selling James, the board is back to about 90m net again. The usual. There was no plan other than fans wishing to get a midfielder. There was no plan either to bring in Ronnie, it was just an opportunity too good to miss. If they could sell another it would be to recoup salary, I see nothing to suggest it’s a midfielder in this window

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm amazed that he'd rather stay knowing very well that he's isn't in our plans, specially after his great spell with west ham. I get that he could get a better contract next year when he's a free agent, but he had momentum from last season, and a year on the bench won't do him any good.
You can’t move if there are no bids

Flytan

If we renew bus contract for anything more than one year and loan him out again I'll lose my mind. Let him go for free next year or sell him now

Longshanks

Perhaps he wants to stay because he knows that he will get some games and there is a possibility of winning a medal if he stays.

He could go somewhere else and play more but very slim possibility of trophies and medals.

AttackAttackAttack

If I’m Jesse I’d stay at United one more year making better money than WHU would offer and potentially winning some things. No big deal he is a bench player; a lot of players are. Plus, he has been at United pretty much his entire life. It must be hard to leave.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
And they’d be wrong. By selling James, the board is back to about 90m net again. The usual. There was no plan other than fans wishing to get a midfielder. There was no plan either to bring in Ronnie, it was just an opportunity too good to miss. If they could sell another it would be to recoup salary, I see nothing to suggest it’s a midfielder in this window
They may be wrong Geebs, but it’s not going to stop a lot of them thinking that…

stevoc

We are in a tricky situation in terms of what we demand for Jesse. When players like Harry Wilson and Jack Harrison move for around the £12m mark, Adam Armstrong for £15m and Joe Willock for £26m. I don't think it is unrealistic to put a price tag of £25m on Jesse Lingard, in a hope a bidding club begin negotiations with offers in the £15-20m mark.

Jesse really shouldn't be getting any minutes this season.
Well reality would say otherwise as it seems no club is too keen to pay that much for him.

stevoc

This last year of contract thing is nonsense. If he stays we offer him a new one and he accepts it. This isn’t like mbappe - he hasn’t refused to sign a new deal so it’s irrelevant. He’s 28, a current England international and was arguably the best player in the PL the last 6 months of the season at West Ham. They need to pay up. 25m is more than reasonable in a market where ramsdale is going for 20m!
If he isn't playing (and it's likely he won't) then there's no chance he's going to sign a new deal at a club he's barely got a game for in 18-24 months. Not even sure why United would offer him a new contract, if no one want's to pay much for him now why would they pay next summer when he's a year older?

I reckon interested clubs are put off by United's £20m valuation and would rather wait to get him on a free next year. Lingard probably prefers that option also.

Tarrou

I'll honestly be baffled if he is still with us come close of transfer window. What would be the point?
I think the player is happy to run down his contract

his next contract is probably his last big one, so leaving on a free will maximise his earnings

stevoc

Isn't the issue that he doesn't want to move, not that teams won't pay?
Well it's been reported he wants to stay yes. It's also been widely reported that clubs West Ham in particular don't agree with United's valuation.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. He may have only decided in the last few weeks he wants to stay and see out his contract as there's been no concrete offers for him.

Suedesi

Ole needs to be ruthless. What's the fecking point of declaring "he's in my plans, part of my squad" etc. Is he protecting his "value"? It's so transparent and counterproductive. The end result of all this will be Jesse staying put and leaves for free next year. We get nothing and pay his wages.

Ole needs to come out and say in private - son, you're not part of my plans, find another team or rot in the reserves. Put the onus on Jesse to bring an offer acceptable to the club.

We're too soft when it comes to selling dead-weight

stevoc

Ole needs to be ruthless. What's the fecking point of declaring "he's in my plans, part of my squad" etc. Is he protecting his "value"? It's so transparent and counterproductive. The end result of all this will be Jesse staying put and leaves for free next year. We get nothing and pay his wages.

Ole needs to come out and say in private - son, you're not part of my plans, find another team or rot in the reserves. Put the onus on Jesse to bring an offer acceptable to the club.

We're too soft when it comes to selling dead-weight
Pretty sure he tried that approach last year by making it clear he was up for sale then only giving him 3 appearances in cup games and then loaning him out for half the season.

Jesse doesn't seem to mind.

Suedesi

Jesse doesn't mind because he gets to collect a nice paycheck he can't get anywhere else, then leaves on a free and pockets a nice sign-on fee.

If that's the game he wants to play, then he should train with the under-21 not occupy bench space for the senior team.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Just find it so strange that he would want to stay and be benched after playing great, regular football last season. I don't get it. If I was Lingard, I would be trying to get out as soon as possible.
More wages at United, his "brands" have more value when he's at United and he has a chance of picking up token medals at United.

He knows he is behind Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba, Bruno, Martial but he's still hanging around. He's not interested in regular football. He has a chance to go to a new club and get a full season as a starter in a World Cup year and he's not taking it. That says everything.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe he thinks he is ahead of VDB as backup for Bruno, so it makes no sense to leave.

cj_sparky

Well reality would say otherwise as it seems no club is too keen to pay that much for him.
As I mentioned in both the post you've quoted and one a few posts later. United may well set an asking price like £25m, in the expectation that someone then makes an an offer in the £15-20m range. Rather than set the price in the £15-18m and receive lower offers.

In my other post I mentioned Zappacosta who is a similar age as Jesse, who left Chelsea with a year left on his deal went for £8m and Will Hughes (who is a couple of years younger) had a year left on his Watford deal joined Crystal Palace for £6m with the deal potentially rising to £10m.

So is a bid in the £15-20m unrealistic.

Passitlikescholes

Maybe he thinks he is ahead of VDB as backup for Bruno, so it makes no sense to leave.
I think most definitely he is, as evidenced by Jesse coming on vs Southampton.

Ole seems to have been fooled, again, by the cameo at West Ham and I very much fear that he's going to give Jesse a clean slate and a chance at more appearances. I just really, really hope they're cameos where we're already comfortably leading.

I guess though, now we have the crowds back, so won't get that sound bite of Ole yelling from the sideline at Jesse not to lose the f***ing ball again or he's coming off.

stevoc

As I mentioned in both the post you've quoted and one a few posts later. United may well set an asking price like £25m, in the expectation that someone then makes an an offer in the £15-20m range. Rather than set the price in the £15-18m and receive lower offers.

In my other post I mentioned Zappacosta who is a similar age as Jesse, who left Chelsea with a year left on his deal went for £8m and Will Hughes (who is a couple of years younger) had a year left on his Watford deal joined Crystal Palace for £6m with the deal potentially rising to £10m.

So is a bid in the £15-20m unrealistic.
Maybe but probably more like £10-15m especially at this stage. But not the £25m you suggested in the post I quoted. Even if as you say it would only be as a starting point and a negotiation tactic. I actually think we did quote interested teams about £25m and it scared them off.

From even before the window started I thought somewhere around £15m is the best we could hope Lingard would go for if he left. Just don't see anyone paying more than that for him.

Red_toad

I don't think West Ham will consider him next year even on a free. Lingard's practically taking the bench over being a first teamer for them.
If I was a Hammers fan, I'd say screw him.
Why? They didn't submit a bid for him at all. It's not like he turned them down or anything like that. My only hope is United don't extend him to maintain his value as he's a third choice player and we'd be better off given those chances to a youngster such as Amad.

Red_toad

More wages at United, his "brands" have more value when he's at United and he has a chance of picking up token medals at United.

He knows he is behind Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba, Bruno, Martial but he's still hanging around. He's not interested in regular football. He has a chance to go to a new club and get a full season as a starter in a World Cup year and he's not taking it. That says everything.
What chance ay another club? Who did United accept a bid from? He was more than happy to go to West Ham last season and did very well there. We're certainly not privy to his discussion with Ole, nor his agent, so why do people speculate and try to pass it off as a fact?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I think the player is happy to run down his contract

his next contract is probably his last big one, so leaving on a free will maximise his earnings
That would be incredibly frustrating. If he stays, we'll feel obligated to play him and he will just take up minutes of prospects like Elanga, Mejbri, or Amad.

Status
Not open for further replies.