Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimo

Is Jesse your roommate or something? I haven't gone back further than this page but half of it is you getting catty with people.

What's the issue with the bolded part anyway? It's clearly prefaced with an "if", meaning that if the former isn't true, then the latter isn't relevant.
The issue with the bolded part is that even if it was true that, Lingard was/is under no obligation to make a move to a club he doesn't want to be at. Turning down them does not mean he then automatically signs whatever contract United gives him, to just sit on the bench with no prospects of playing, especially ahead of the world cup next year. He wants to play, play at a club that suits his his professional/personal goals. Why that is considered slimy or someone not being truthful I don't get.

Mentality Monsters

The fact that we offered him a new contract in the first place, shows that despite improvements in the transfer market, we still don't have a fecking clue when it comes time to renew.

He needs to go. Christ alive haven't we learned anything about 'protecting the value' of players - who aren't assets to begin with. feck him off along with Bailly and Jones.

The Hilton

The issue with the bolded part is that even if it was true that, Lingard was/is under no obligation to make a move to a club he doesn't want to be at. Turning down them does not mean he then automatically signs whatever contract United gives him, to just sit on the bench with no prospects of playing, especially ahead of the world cup next year. He wants to play, play at a club that suits his his professional/personal goals. Why that is considered slimy or someone not being truthful I don't get.
I didn't say slimy, I have no issue with Jesse putting himself first, but if it is true then it isn't about playing (at least not only about playing).

With regards to the poster calling him slimy, I think that's too much, but I would suggest that the club deserve a lot of respect and loyalty from Jesse given the way he was supported during his recent personal troubles and poor form, and that him leaving on a free would leave a sour taste.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bingo

red4ever 79

The fact that we offered him a new contract in the first place, shows that despite improvements in the transfer market, we still don't have a fecking clue when it comes time to renew.

He needs to go. Christ alive haven't we learned anything about 'protecting the value' of players - who aren't assets to begin with. feck him off along with Bailly and Jones.
Promote this guy. Speaks far too much sense to be considered a newbie. Add Mata to the why the feck did we extend list

flappyjay

We didn't price Andreas or Jesse out of moves. The former had options and wanted to go to Brazil. The latter didn't want to leave.
I guess I didn't structure my sentence properly. Jesse wasn't priced out of a move but Andreas, Darmian and Romero were priced out. Andreas loan to Lazio last season had an option to buy of 25m, that was too much. This year his loan to Brazil has an option of 20m which would be a transfer record for the club he went to.

Interval

Level
Do you not think he owes the slightest bit of gratitude and loyalty to the club that brought him through the academy? He's been with us since 2000, 15 years at the club (excluding loan years), a little bit of gratitude to ensure we get some sort of a fee for him would be nice.
Eh? HE gave us 15 years of his life too. It was a mutually beneficial relationship and the club should be thankful too. Should he be shown gratitude and paid one time extra fee for sticking to us for so long rather than becoming a solid regular at some other club ala Welbeck? He stayed on as a model professional coming off the bench for years. He did his part.

Edit: you want to blame someone, blame the club. Silly contracts has been prevalent for years now

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If nothing else I'll be glad to see him gone so I never have to see another poster peddling the "he's only young" 'joke' again.

RedDevil@84

Probably the same reason why we offered Jones and Bailly a deal, to protect our 'investment'
A player clearly surplus to the requirements and a player who clearly wants out. Why do we even bother? It is not like Lingard is going to sign for us and then loads of suitors will line up with wads of cash the next summer.

Chairman Steve

I think the ulterior motive to him staying and running down his contract is for that big signing on bonus that’ll be coming his way when he signs to whoever next year.

Cant see getting anything more than cameos and starting in some cup games against minnows or dead rubber European ties, not with Bruno and Pogba in front of him, and appealing youth prospects like Mejbri on the periphery.

Mentality Monsters

Have I come into another players thread by mistake? I keep hearing about this huge signing on fee he'll get if he leaves on a free, as if he's some sort of Messi, Mbappe, Donnarumma or Pogba
(if he leaves) clone. He's not all that valuable, and there's not going to be a long queue of clubs throwing signing on fees his way in the hope of beating another club to his signature.

He'll be turning 30 towards the end of next year. The signing on fee he receives will be in line with his value as a player. Not much.

The club needs a fecking rollicking for offering him a new deal in the first place.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
I am happy that he has rejected the contract and hope we do not offer a new one. Otherwise we would have another Jones/Bailly situation where the player is useless for us, but priced out for other clubs.

Shimo

I didn't say slimy, I have no issue with Jesse putting himself first, but if it is true then it isn't about playing (at least not only about playing).

With regards to the poster calling him slimy, I think that's too much, but I would suggest that the club deserve a lot of respect and loyalty from Jesse given the way he was supported during his recent personal troubles and poor form, and that him leaving on a free would leave a sour taste.
Your first sentence is where I think you just don't get it - not agreeing to move to West Ham does not automatically not make his not signing a contract with United due to play time concerns invalid. It just makes it that he didn't want to go anywhere and play. So he is giving himself a chance next season to go to a club that will not only play him but, also to a club that he also wants to be at.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Have I come into another players thread by mistake? I keep hearing about this huge signing on fee he'll get if he leaves on a free, as if he's some sort of Messi, Mbappe, Donnarumma or Pogba
(if he leaves) clone. He's not all that valuable, and there's not going to be a long queue of clubs throwing signing on fees his way in the hope of beating another club to his signature.

He'll be turning 30 towards the end of next year. The signing on fee he receives will be in line with his value as a player. Not much.

The club needs a fecking rollicking for offering him a new deal in the first place.
He's worth £10m of anyone's money, wouldn't be surprised if he got a signing bonus somewhere heading that way given what the signing club would be saving in transfer fee.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He will have countless offers. Will likely be playing for Arsenal or Leicester in my opinion. His few months at West Ham and recent England call ups will attract a host of clubs home and abroad. Idiocy to say otherwise. People are hating on him when he literally outscored Grealish, De Bruyne and many more in less than half the games.

Its socially acceptable to hate on him and its getting boring.

hobbers

I think he'll be expecting a signing on fee in the low millions at least. That's at least enough for another clothing line and a couple more failed esports teams. Considering how much money he's already pissed up the wall on his clothes and perfume and gaming house, and is about to spend on esports, he's probably not got much of a nest egg to get him by once his next contract ends.

On a free transfer you would think clubs like Leicester and Arsenal would give him and his agent a few million to sweeten the deal.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

You only offer new contracts for fringe players and protecting their value if you think they may be of value to both United or potential buyers. Jesse clearly has some value worth protecting. That should be based the opinions of the footballing management team -- Murtough, Ole, scouts etc. Jesse has transfer value.

So does Bailly who is still sellable -- and is on a smallish wage package so its worth the risk.

The fact that they offered Jones and Rojo a few years back is probably due to the inputs of the managers of that period as well as Woodward who felt regardless, that financially, it's always good to protect your assets at the costs/risk of their salaries.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He obviously wants to leave on a free so he can squeeze a few million out of any sorry club that’s going to sign him as a signing bonus. That was his plan all along. All this talk about wanting to stay and fight for his place was absolutely bullshit and he hasn’t even given that a shot but he wants assurances over a place before signing a new contract. His own friends won’t start him over the talent we have in the attacking 4 positions.

Amir

I can see it from his point of view. Once he leaves United he'll never be a part of such a club again. So why not give it one last year, especially when the team looks better than it has since he's been a part of the first team. If he gets plenty of minutes, great - He might even choose to sign a new contract (and we know we'll give him one...). If not, he can leave on a free next summer and go to where ever he likes.

red4ever 79

I can see it from his point of view. Once he leaves United he'll never be a part of such a club again. So why not give it one last year, especially when the team looks better than it has since he's been a part of the first team. If he gets plenty of minutes, great - He might even choose to sign a new contract (and we know we'll give him one...). If not, he can leave on a free next summer and go to where ever he likes.
Will he make 5 EPL appearances and get a winner's medal. We go for it!!

Lastwolf

I think the ulterior motive to him staying and running down his contract is for that big signing on bonus that’ll be coming his way when he signs to whoever next year.

Cant see getting anything more than cameos and starting in some cup games against minnows or dead rubber European ties, not with Bruno and Pogba in front of him, and appealing youth prospects like Mejbri on the periphery.
Can't see it, who's giving him a large signing on bonus when they won't pay a fee for him? Arsenal?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Can't see it, who's giving him a large signing on bonus when they won't pay a fee for him? Arsenal?
Paying United £25 million to sign him is very different to paying him £2.5 million as a signing on fee.

As long as he ends up at a half-decent outfit he will be paid millions to join. Something that wouldn't have happened if he was sold this summer.

Lingard's making the smart choice financially. And, as I've said before, in some ways he's doing us a favour. United would renew his contract to 'protect value.' That would just leave us stuck with another player we don't want on the wage bill. What have we got from giving the likes of Jones, Pereira and Matic new long term deals? Jesse rejecting a new deal works for everyone IMO.

I'm happy to see him seek the best financial solution for himself. Cos the 75-100 grand a week he gets could easily be put to paying the wages of a defensive midfielder.

tomaldinho1

Promote this guy. Speaks far too much sense to be considered a newbie. Add Mata to the why the feck did we extend list
Mata always escapes the ire of the caf despite him probably offering less than Lingard, being more expensive and also shopped his contract. When we offered him an extension a couple of summers ago, he sat on it all summer whilst his dad shopped around and spoke cryptically about wanting a CL club and after no one wanted to pay close to what we were offering/weren’t interested he stayed. He wasn’t even a starter.

Lingard is doing what is best for his career, he’ll have a lot of options in the summer and probably from teams ‘better’ than WHUM. We overpaid him, can’t shift him & our asking price was too high, fault is ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.