Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As i said its not just a year and a bit. Its most of his united career barring a few short spells and that run of poor form lasted two years. You seem determined to twist the facts, so i will reserve the right to call these sort of posts out

He is a decent player but not united standard and needs regular games which he wont get with us
And I’m saying 5 goals a season for most midfielders is normal

we will see how this pans out. What I am saying is if he continues this form in his game time then none of us can complain.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
He’s a raiola man. Leaves for free at the end of the season to whoever pays them both the most.

NK86

I don't moan. I don't make snide remarks neither. [Oh the irony of a person who posted this ( Some of you lot seem to have memories which don't last more than the previous day it seems.) talking of snide remarks:lol:

I simply pointed out the obvious. Posters exactly like you saying the exact same things have been here since the days of Oshea and Fletcher's debut. To them everyone else has memory issues and never knows what they are talking about.
he will continue to make his haters eat their words
I am sorry, I must have imagined you making the above remark before I replied about his stats in general. But having seen your posts earlier too, your arrogance over here is nothing new actually. Keep assuming you know best or have a better eye for talent than the average fan.

"Never ever learn" :lol:. The size of your arrogance must make it feel like a companion.

Last edited:

NK86

And I’m saying 5 goals a season for most midfielders is normal

we will see how this pans out. What I am saying is if he continues this form in his game time then none of us can complain.
I don't think he played as a proper midfielder. He was usually from the left or an AM amd had a free role. When a club like United is happy with an AM with that kind of freedom scoring + assisting 10 goals a season, we are in trouble and that's what happened during all these years post SAF.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't think he played as a proper midfielder. He was usually from the left or an AM amd had a free role. When a club like United is happy with an AM with that kind of freedom scoring + assisting 10 goals a season, we are in trouble and that's what happened during all these years post SAF.
He was rarely from the left, Lvg, Mourinho always played Rashford or martial. He played mostly right the last 4 years

captaincantona

Some strange responses in here. People who don’t rate Jesse are using arguments based on his lack of consistency, poor output stats, the fact that he has had many many opportunities and failed to take them and the fact that we have other players that should be given opportunities before him. All reasonable and cognisant grounds on which to base arguement. If nothing else, these are valid points that must come into any discussion about Jesse Lingard. If they didn’t, it’s not really a discussion is it?...it’s a celebration of Jesse Lingard...is that what this thread is? Surely not...surely we are allowed have a reasoned discussion on genuine concerns that almost every fan of Man Utd must have had at some point in his career. The revisionism here is mental!

I remember everyone bar no one on this site being outraged a few years back by him getting game time and consistently losing the ball, being unable to control it in tight spaces or pass 5 yards and his complete lack of goals or assists - the universal barometer for any attacking player. Also, the endless jokes about him being considered a “young” player that needed time to mature...Lingard has been given much more consideration and time than any other player in the squad...poor Dan James was shafted as soon as he stopped scoring for doing exactly what everyone knew Dan James- a Championship player would do and was capable of doing! did I really read an earlier post comparing Lingard to Ji Sung Park? Sweet Jesus! And even worse saying that Lingards best traits were his intricate passing and movement against low blocks???? There is no use being intelligent and making intelligent runs when you don’t have the ability to recieve the ball in tight spaces and use it (Newcastle goal was a nice finish but I’m talking about him as a player generally)despite his movement he never had any end product, never beat his man, never played that killer pass as evidenced again by his assists stats or even the pass before the assist. He was not so much a bad player for Utd as he was completely anonymous and ineffective. His position was seen as being a number 10 and just look at what happened when we bought a proper one of those! Did I also read someone argue that he was effective against a low block - by scoring two goals....against Andorra??? Fuking Andorra? We are supposed to be one of the top 10 Clubs in the world...I should bloody hope one of our first team players could perform well against Andorra. It’s preposterous! Stop taking criticism of the lad personally and engage with the arguements being made.

For example....Why was he so much better for West Ham? My argument...It’s a team that plays completely and utterly different to Utd. his lack of creativity and technical ability in tight spaces is exposed for 75% of Utds season where they come up against low blocks. At West Ham, they play on the break...Jesus....look at his goals and assists for them...fast counter attacks. He is quick thinking and somewhat pacey and can finish...so with time and space he delivers. When his G/A dried up, it was at the end of the season when teams stopped simply allowing him the space he was being given previously. Also, as he revealed himself, he has struggled mentally lately and so it could be argued pretty reasonably that the pressure at a club like Utd to perform consistently is too much for him...hence his better performances for a team with much lesser expectations and spotlight. So I say, kick Lingard and give is minutes to Amad or DVB or Mata...and let’s get some imagination and intricacy into our attacking when the bus has been parked. That’s not me having an agenda...that’s a fairly reasonable conclusion to draw

I don’t mind Lingard...good on him for battling through his issues....and being loyal And loving the club...but on a purely football basis, I get why some people might see him as a bench option but don’t get why those same people take reasoned arguement against him being a bench option as slander and having an agenda.

NK86

He was rarely from the left, Lvg, Mourinho always played Rashford or martial. He played mostly right the last 4 years
Yeah, point is he had a free roaming role and was definitely not a midfielder but more like a wide forward player. 5 goals a season should never be the standard for a wide forward for United. Look at Rashford. The guy scores 20+ and still we have people on his back. But to get back to our best, we need to move on from the likes of Lingard. Most would agree that his outputs can be matched by some of our youngsters so we surely don't need him when we can blood in our more talented academy products with very little drop in quality.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah, point is he had a free roaming role and was definitely not a midfielder but more like a wide forward player. 5 goals a season should never be the standard for a wide forward for United. Look at Rashford. The guy scores 20+ and still we have people on his back. But to get back to our best, we need to move on from the likes of Lingard. Most would agree that his outputs can be matched by some of our youngsters so we surely don't need him when we can blood in our more talented academy products with very little drop in quality.
You miss my point, he’s not effective playing right side

he’s here this season, let’s see how he gets on.

Rolaholic

In hindsight, he was never leaving after Ronaldo signed :lol:

He's a United fan who's been at the club his entire life so I'm convinced the feel good factor at the club right now played a big part in him deciding against signing elsewhere and accepting a lesser role at the club.

Not a bad move for him either keeping his options open for the future and I still think he's an asset as a squad player for us given his form for club and country over the last year or so.

He'll see in a few months whether he wants to continue as a squad player for us or if he wants to get starter minutes elsewhere but it doesn't sound like he's in any rush to decide that right now and I don't blame him. It's an exciting time to be a United fan/player right now

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Romano is correct then he only wanted to move to West Ham. It's then also understandable from West Ham's POV to not pay the asking price when the player only wanted them and had only a year to run on his contract.

Tallis

My feeling on this topic have changed and I think he wants fo stay. He has gone through a tough period but if he has happy to be in the rotation and can continue playing at the level he has been for the last 7-8 months, I am happy to keep him.

Probably means we have no space to develop Mejbri, Elanga, Amad in the first team and should loan them out.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I don't care about his past form. He looked great for West Ham last season and he's been refreshingly positive in his pre-season matches and subs so far. I'm looking forward to watching Lingard this season he seems to be a completely different player to the one a couple years ago. Direct, full of confidence and more assured. Glad we have him as an option off the bench and for rotation in the cup games.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't understand why he didn't move to West Ham over the summer. It would've been a win-win for all parties involved.

redMundo

Serves us right, we deserve that for giving journeymen nobodies chance after chance after chance at the biggest club in the world.
Like I said the other day, it’s not personal. I don’t care if he’s a “fantastic human being”, he’s factually just not up to it.
Ole will lose his job and waste a massive opportunity with this squad on decisions like this.
Makes sense that’s what happens when mediocrity is not only accepted but actaully praised.
Absolute Joke.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I really wanted the weekend to be a sign of the future for him, and I still hope it is, but all the confidence he gained from that loan move has just disappeared probably. I really hope he proves me wrong, but this season had to be his last chance and I'm not sure he's going to be able to pick himself up quickly enough from that.

jackal&hyde

I really wanted the weekend to be a sign of the future for him, and I still hope it is, but all the confidence he gained from that loan move has just disappeared probably. I really hope he proves me wrong, but this season had to be his last chance and I'm not sure he's going to be able to pick himself up quickly enough from that.
That has to be confidence lost in him by the manager. To many chances thrown away. West Ham is his level.

Dve

Horrible mistake, but I´m not going to cut his head off. He´ll make up for it.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I assume the assist at the end does not deserve the famous Jesse dance moves ?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Serves us right, we deserve that for giving journeymen nobodies chance after chance after chance at the biggest club in the world.
Like I said the other day, it’s not personal. I don’t care if he’s a “fantastic human being”, he’s factually just not up to it.
Ole will lose his job and waste a massive opportunity with this squad on decisions like this.
Makes sense that’s what happens when mediocrity is not only accepted but actaully praised.
Absolute Joke.
Jesse was Player of the Month in the Prem last season while out on loan and has been playing incredibly well for England.

I love this notion that a English national team footballer can't normally be trusted to make a simple pass.

Its even wilder because he apparently can't be trusted to make a simple pass.

redMundo

Jesse was Player of the Month in the Prem last season while out on loan and has been playing incredibly well for England.

I love this notion that a English national team footballer can't normally be trusted to make a simple pass.

Its even wilder because he apparently can't be trusted to make a simple pass.
Have you actually watched him for Manchester United for the last 7 years? Genuine question.

You do realise he’s had one good game for England in 3 years…..against Andorra.
Why do fan boys make everything personal, nothing to do with his silly dances, cringey social media or regularly leaked personal issue excuses. He’s not good enough, simple as that.

He was very good for West Ham for about 5 games last year until people realised he wasn’t conference level and was worth marking, at which point he reverted to his usual level (a mid-lower level premier league player with decent moments, ineffective moments and terrible moments).
If he didn’t have such a large brand presence relative to his ability I genuinely believe 90% of the people backing him would be saying the same as me.

Dwight Corke

I'm sorry for feeling this way about a player who has come through the academy and scored some important goals for us, but it is time we got rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.