Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Calm down. It was just a throw away remark.

Also, the manager didn't need him last season. He even loaned him out. Now we have strengthened ourselves in the position Lingard plays and he is not better than any of the players who will be playing there. How on Earth then is he suddenly non-transferable if what Moyes is saying is true. This isn't a hoarding house. If we aren't going to use players, why not sell them and use the funds for positions we need.

Moreover we have the likes of Amad and Pellestri waiting in the wings. How is Ole going to integrate them and then keep fringe players like Lingard? This is just either Moyes not being completely honest or Ole keeping a hold of players we won't really need with the quality in attack we already have.
If you read what was said recently and at the time you’d know (and perhaps be less frustrated) that he was sent out on loan to play himself back to form after more than a year (by his own words) of being not focused on football due to depression and off-field worries with his family.
the plan it seems was never to sell him to WH at this point in time and they are probably surprised that he hasn’t signed a contract yet.

the 2 lads mentioned aren’t ready for this season anyway so guessing that IF ready next season they will get more time with the likes of Mata, Martial and maybe Jesse doesn’t sign that new contract. It’s still 50/50 on Pogba and James has gone. They will get their chance when ready

NK86

If you read what was said recently and at the time you’d know (and perhaps be less frustrated) that he was sent out on loan to play himself back to form after more than a year (by his own words) of being not focused on football due to depression and off-field worries with his family.
the plan it seems was never to sell him to WH at this point in time and they are probably surprised that he hasn’t signed a contract yet.

the 2 lads mentioned aren’t ready for this season anyway so guessing that IF ready next season they will get more time with the likes of Mata, Martial and maybe Jesse doesn’t sign that new contract. It’s still 50/50 on Pogba and James has gone. They will get their chance when ready
Next season we will be without Cavani and Pogba may leave too. So we definitely need starters in their position which Lingard is not.

Ole can keep him but he has to make this work. I am not sold on our style of play even after Ole being here for close to 3 years. This team is now fully his. If we don't keep improving till we win something significant, Ole will be the one to take the fall. We are clearly short in numbers and quality in midfield. If we could shift Lingard on and get someone who could fit in our midfield, then it would have put us in a better position than what we are in now squad wise.

golden_blunder

Staff
Next season we will be without Cavani and Pogba may leave too. So we definitely need starters in their position which Lingard is not.

Ole can keep him but he has to make this work. I am not sold on our style of play even after Ole being here for close to 3 years. This team is now fully his. If we don't keep improving till we win something significant, Ole will be the one to take the fall. We are clearly short in numbers and quality in midfield. If we could shift Lingard on and get someone who could fit in our midfield, then it would have put us in a better position than what we are in now squad wise.
When you say fit our midfield who do you mean exactly? Because lingard is a squad player which we still need. If anything we are short of midfield squad players. Different types I mean

golden_blunder

Staff
I don’t get why a squad player will be the end of Ole. Surely it Ole is sacked it’s because the first teamers haven’t done their job for whatever reason.

The Firestarter

I don’t get why a squad player will be the end of Ole. Surely it Ole is sacked it’s because the first teamers haven’t done their job for whatever reason.
Only way this can be the end for Ole is if he has a game losing brain fart every time he is on the pitch and Ole keeps playing him. It's a ridiculous notion.

NK86

When you say fit our midfield who do you mean exactly? Because lingard is a squad player which we still need. If anything we are short of midfield squad players. Different types I mean
Exactly and the noises we have heard is we needed to sell before we got more players in. We have players like Lingard in the squad who are peripheral and can still fetch some transfer value which could have helped us try to get a midfielder that we so desperately need.

NK86

I didn't mean that Ole will be sacked because Lingard is crap (that's pretty common knowledge by now). Issue is based on Moyes' statement, he still seems to be prioritising keeping players like him in squad when we could actually sell him to get some funds for other areas which need strengthening. Unless you feel we are so loaded that we can spend endlessly and not worry about making anything back through transfers out of our club.

ForeverRed1

Can be a decent player for us with all cups considered.. fa cup, carabao.. no reason we can’t go for them all. Players like lingard, van de beek, Cavani, mata, amad, henderson, telles, Bailey, lindelof.. they can be used for these and be competitive...

MichaelRed

We already had Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Amad, Pellistri & Donny. We have Elanga coming through, Chong smashing it on his loan & we just brought in Sancho. Why on God's earth would you block the sale of a player that the shirt clearly weighs heavily on when he is running down his final year of his contract and has never been at the standard that the club has needed? Baffles me that we wouldn't just take the money and try reinvest it into the midfield. Is there even a possible positive outcome here? Either we lose him for nothing when we could have made money from his sale or we extend his contract and keep paying him to either sit on the bench or block the pathway of younger, more talented players. The only good outcome here is if he extends his contract and suddenly becomes world class, at 29 years old, against low blocks with all the pressure and weight of expectation of being a United player. I imagine he'll join the hammers for free and go back to ripping it up for them whilst we're left with egg on our faces. Good luck to him.

golden_blunder

Staff
I didn't mean that Ole will be sacked because Lingard is crap (that's pretty common knowledge by now). Issue is based on Moyes' statement, he still seems to be prioritising keeping players like him in squad when we could actually sell him to get some funds for other areas which need strengthening. Unless you feel we are so loaded that we can spend endlessly and not worry about making anything back through transfers out of our club.
Well that’s what you said

NK86

Well that’s what you said
So you took it literally that Ole will be sacked because Lingard is in the squad (although I mentioned that it was a throw away remark)!

We keep hoarding players like him and not upgrade areas which are needed. That's the biggest issue apart from having to see Lingard stink up the place more often than not when he plays.

Flytan

Lingard has reached fellaini level where if I see him in the squad I just get irrationally annoyed. They both scored some vital goals for us but neither should be anywhere near the match day squad.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Lingard's reactions after the goal said it all.
He will be 29 in December. He wants to play regularly and we cant oblige.
So he will leave end of the season to get a better contract as West Ham wont have to pay a fee.

Now if Ole plays him from the start in all the League/FA cub games and some of the Premier League games, he may change his mind.

The_Midfielder

I know LVG tried him as a Rb with a back 3 ..
Do you think he can play there when we decide to go with a back 3 against weak teams ..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know LVG tried him as a Rb with a back 3 ..
Do you think he can play there when we decide to go with a back 3 against weak teams ..
Didn't he last about 20mins there in VG's first home game, before going off injured?

vlad93

Newcastle will buy him. Newcastle have quality wingers but cm is lacking

Maniron

I am a big JL fan, and I would like him to stay, just look at what he achieved at West Ham. He is a confidence player, he needs game time and a manager who believes in him.

matt23

Reassuring to know we are still trying to extend the contract of players that can't get game time.

AndySmith1990

Yeah.. extend their contacts and don’t play them
Typical Ole
Typical United. We've been doing it for years. Apparently we're so fearful of losing money by letting players leave for free, we hand them large long term contracts, thus pricing them out of a move because clubs on their level aren't rich and stupid like us, meaning we not only lose any potential fee for them, but we're left paying wages for players who barely contribute.

Thankfully on this occasion Lingard isn't interested in signing a contract and wasting what's left of his career. Lingard has more sense than the cretins who run our club.

::sonny::

Rejected big money for him this summer, now going to leave in January for few millions

What a bunch of clowns

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rejected big money for him this summer, now going to leave in January for few millions
What a bunch of clowns
That surely has to be at Solskjaer's doorstep.
It was Solskjaer that didn't want to sell him, and Solskjaer that must have convinced Lingard that he had a big part to play.

I would imagine that Lingard must be absolutely livid, and I can't imagine the money men being particularly impressed either.

UTD_Since_1978

Ok, somebody is going to have to explain the above to me. :confused:

Anyway, let me try to work this out...

...so, Ole in his presser earlier today says, Lingard is an important player for UTD, then 2 or 3 hours later Lingard posts a pic of himself playing for WHU, why? :confused:

Is it Lingard's bizarre way of saying that Ole is talking nonsense? If so, why? What is he hoping to achieve, he can already leave on a free in 7 months time anyway. I don't get.

roseguy64

Ok, somebody is going to have to explain the above to me. :confused:

Anyway, let me try to work this out...

...so, Ole in his presser earlier today says, Lingard is an important player for UTD, then 2 or 3 hours later Lingard posts a pic of himself playing for WHU, why? :confused:

Is it Lingard's bizarre way of saying that Ole is talking nonsense? If so, why? What is he hoping to achieve, he can already leave on a free in 7 months time anyway. I don't get.
Lingard did not post a pic of himself playing for West Ham

bosniamanutd

So you took it literally that Ole will be sacked because Lingard is in the squad (although I mentioned that it was a throw away remark)!

We keep hoarding players like him and not upgrade areas which are needed. That's the biggest issue apart from having to see Lingard stink up the place more often than not when he plays.
Correct

AndySmith1990

Kidding him

Jesus, I looked at the date and was expecting it to be an old tweet from the summer. But no, the club actually have the audacity to try and bullshit in an effort to get him to sign a contract, after it's already been established he's as valued by the manager as Donny van Beek. Stinks of the club not wanting to lose an asset for nothing.

UpWithRivers

Everyone thinks that we could have sold him to West Ham, but why would he go there when it was the last year of his contract and get paid much less than if he just waits a year at United? Its his last big contract. He went to West Ham to secure a place in the England team. He did the best he could possibly have done and still didnt get in. Now he's just waiting till his contract runs out then he will go to Newcastle and get 120 plus a week. Thats his plan. United failure is not selling when players have 2 years left. The only way he stays is if we offer more than other clubs which we do regularly. Plus we have to suck arse for thier last year and give them games. If Ole wasnt fighting for his job Lingard would be getting games for sure. Thats how it works.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Everyone thinks that we could have sold him to West Ham, but why would he go there when it was the last year of his contract and get paid much less than if he just waits a year at United? Its his last big contract. He went to West Ham to secure a place in the England team. He did the best he could possibly have done and still didnt get in. Now he's just waiting till his contract runs out then he will go to Newcastle and get 120 plus a week. Thats his plan. United failure is not selling when players have 2 years left. The only way he stays is if we offer more than other clubs which we do regularly. Plus we have to suck arse for thier last year and give them games. If Ole wasnt fighting for his job Lingard would be getting games for sure. Thats how it works.
If it is then I don't blame him. We've said for ages that players will start running down their contracts to get good deals elsewhere, particularly with the cost saved in transfer fees.

Pogba will be next, I'm sure.

Last edited:

captaincantona

He proved what a good player he is last season. Doesn’t deserve to sit on the bench.
Any adult who makes his initials with his hands to celebrate himself can go and moonwalk into traffic for all I care.

On a serious note. It was clear from his time at West Ham and from his most effective performances for us he is suited to playing on the break where his poor touch and inability to control a ball in tight spaces are not exposed. I have wanted his playing time to be distributed among more promising youngsters since pre season. I just don’t rate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.