Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Any adult who makes his initials with his hands to celebrate himself can go and moonwalk into traffic for all I care.

On a serious note. It was clear from his time at West Ham and from his most effective performances for us he is suited to playing on the break where his poor touch and inability to control a ball in tight spaces are not exposed. I have wanted his playing time to be distributed among more promising youngsters since pre season. I just don’t rate him.
That sort of sort doesn’t bother or offend me. I wish him luck at another club.

predator

Youth NITK
If Ole has cost the club 20+ million by way of assuring Lingard game time and failing to honour it, then Ole is the only one to blame here. As a player I don't think Lingard is good enough to replace the likes of Bruno, Pogba or Scott and Fred and the latter two only get away with this because they are defensive midfielders.

Common sense has not prevailed. VDB has been criminally mismanaged aswell.

The majority of sensible united fans noticed that Jesse wasn't good enough as a first teamer but after playing so well for West ham for a season, getting him back and giving him more game time at the club he supports and loves made sense.

It hasn't happened for reasons I can't understand. And now he will probably leave for free.
So I hope Jesse does go to a club that utilises his qualities, and it's annoying because jesse is as much a united fan as anyone out there even though he's from Warrington.

Last edited:

LawmanMan

It seems to me like it was a question of pride for Ole.

He must have looked at David Moyes getting Lingard to perform at that level last season and thought he could easily do the same.
Only problem is one is a good coach and the other is a glorified PE teacher!

vlad93

Typical United. We've been doing it for years. Apparently we're so fearful of losing money by letting players leave for free, we hand them large long term contracts, thus pricing them out of a move because clubs on their level aren't rich and stupid like us, meaning we not only lose any potential fee for them, but we're left paying wages for players who barely contribute.

Thankfully on this occasion Lingard isn't interested in signing a contract and wasting what's left of his career. Lingard has more sense than the cretins who run our club.
That is what the academy is for to make the same profit. They do it with the senior team.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supposedly Newcastle are after him and could be tempted to move for him in January.

If we can move him on in Jan for about £10-15m, that'd be a tidy bit of business.

Hester_manc

Supposedly Newcastle are after him and could be tempted to move for him in January.

If we can move him on in Jan for about £10-15m, that'd be a tidy bit of business.
If he goes to Newcastle it can only be to play every week and a good salary. Newcastle will not win anything for a long time (maybe the championship), and Lingard is soon 29 years old (later this month).

IRN-BRUno

Unless Newcastle pick up a decent amount of points between now and January there's no chance of Lingard moving there in this window. Maybe in the summer on a free if they do avoid relegation but he's not taking the risk of signing now and ending up in the Championship. I imagine it'll be the same for most of their targets.

Trequarista10

If he goes to Newcastle it can only be to play every week and a good salary. Newcastle will not win anything for a long time (maybe the championship), and Lingard is soon 29 years old (later this month).
You say this like Jesse would have a ton of other options from clubs chasing silverware??

sp_107

Its not Ole kept him here but he decided not to take up west ham option as the salary they offered was below his expectation, read it somewhere

UTD_Since_1978

That was my take as well. He wanted a salary that WH wasn't willing to pay.
He should've used his brain & realised that footballers have only one playing career & by the time they are about 35 a large % have retired (some before then), so instead of playing most 90 minutes he'd rather just sit on UTD's bench getting not much game time just for the sake of dropping a few 1000 quid when I'm sure the money WHU would've paid would have been more than enough to set up for life anyway, plus he is probably already very rich anyway.

SAF is the GOAT

Why would he want to play in the championship ? Besides, he can go to a team where he played before and was good as West ham.

KingCavani

Don't see Jesse being up for that, probably doesn't fit his profile or brand.
If they’re paying him enough the brand wont be as important.

Footballers don’t give a shit about politics for the most part. It’s exactly the stature of club that he’s suited for. Unless he’s just too infatuated with London and West Ham I think he’d go.

stevoc

If they’re paying him enough the brand wont be as important.

Footballers don’t give a shit about politics for the most part. It’s exactly the stature of club that he’s suited for. Unless he’s just too infatuated with London and West Ham I think he’d go.
I doubt Jesse gives a shit about politics, I meant they aren't in the CL and probably not even the PL next season. Could be wrong but I don't see Jesse being open to a move there.

hobbers

Haha he will absolutely hate the idea of going to the north east. And probably ending up relegated.

But if they want him in January and pay all parties enough money, I hope it happens.

KingCavani

I doubt Jesse gives a shit about politics, I meant they aren't in the CL and probably not even the PL next season. Could be wrong but I don't see Jesse being open to a move there.
West Ham wont be in the CL either and Spurs/Arsenal wont be interested.

In terms of potential beyond this season, Newcastle are way, way ahead of anywhere else he can realistically end up.

Obviously they have to win the relegation battle but if they stay up then a PSG/City like summer window is on the cards. If they’re prepared to spend this on Jesse then he’ll not be the only one brought to help keep them up. Hopefully we can pawn off Martial on them, who would actually be great for them.

hobbers

If they’re prepared to spend this on Jesse then he’ll not be the only one brought to help keep them up. Hopefully we can pawn off Martial on them, who would actually be great for them.
Maximin, Jesse, Martial and Wilson up front would actually be an incredible front four they could have in January, for a relegation candidate club.

KingCavani

Maximin, Jesse, Martial and Wilson up front would actually be an incredible front four they could have in January, for a relegation candidate club.
It would and Lingard would be a good compliment to them with his work rate.

The Telegraph is reporting that they have no set budget at all and the only restrictions are FFP based, which they can probably work around with some dodgy sponsorship deals.

Anyone pencilling Newcastle in as relegated need to think twice. They’ll be desperate to get out of this, enough even to risk FFP penalties. It will be interesting to see who/what they can attract and whether they can integrate new signings in time.

stevoc

West Ham wont be in the CL either and Spurs/Arsenal wont be interested.

In terms of potential beyond this season, Newcastle are way, way ahead of anywhere else he can realistically end up.

Obviously they have to win the relegation battle but if they stay up then a PSG/City like summer window is on the cards. If they’re prepared to spend this on Jesse then he’ll not be the only one brought to help keep them up. Hopefully we can pawn off Martial on them, who would actually be great for them.
I don't think he wanted or wants to go to West Ham either.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Can't wait till he actually leaves, he is on big wages just blocking minutes for Greenwood/Diallo. If it was to Ole his contract would actually be renewed, from time to time he may score a goal but just not good enough, and never will be, not even as a squad player.

wolvored

I am a big JL fan, and I would like him to stay, just look at what he achieved at West Ham. He is a confidence player, he needs game time and a manager who believes in him.
Ole played him for 14 months regular was it and he neither scored or assisted. He had his chance here and blew it.

KingCavani

Ole played him for 14 months regular was it and he neither scored or assisted. He had his chance here and blew it.
He’s just not a United player.

Useless against a low block and has to work on instinct with space to work in. He’d be the perfect player for Leeds’ way of playing. Look at every good moment he had at West Ham, it’s transitions with space for him to work and everything he does is quick and instinctive. You don’t want him overthinking anything.

He’d be a great signing for any PL side outside the big 6.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sounds too good to be true. Substantial fee and all.

If there's any truth to it, though, we should obviously take the money and run.

pascell

Ole has absolutely killed any confidence and momentum he gained during his West Ham loan, what a shame as there's quite clearly a solid player there.

sugar_kane

Ole has absolutely killed any confidence and momentum he gained during his West Ham loan, what a shame as there's quite clearly a solid player there.
Ole still getting the blame for a player who can't be even arsed trying for a new manager... He's almost 29 not some frightened little youngster.

The performance he put in last night was the same rubbish he was serving up about 2 years ago.

We should be thankful that Newcastle are willing to pay for him.

pascell

Ole still getting the blame for a player who can't be even arsed trying for a new manager... He's almost 29 not some frightened little youngster.

The performance he put in last night was the same rubbish he was serving up about 2 years ago.

We should be thankful that Newcastle are willing to pay for him.
Because he's quite clearly told the club he's not renewing and leaving, after being left in the cold for so long by Ole when he was more than likely told he'd play a big part this season. The guy scored the winner vs West Ham then played a grand total of 116 minutes since scoring that goal. Any footballer will be rusty and not sharp after playing that many minutes since September, look at VdB who the Caf pines for, he's been grossly misused as our previous manager was always adamant on playing the same 11 players every game.

Ridiculous take.
What's ridiculous about that?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If there's serious interest from Newcastle, then we should definitely send him, and hopefully pocket around £15m minimum.

If Newcastle really want to improve their squad, we should also strongly consider offering them Martial for around £35m too.

And if we're canny, we can even chuck Pogba in for another £25m...!

SAF is the GOAT

I don't think the players would want to go there.

Newcastle are going to offer him 100K per week which is the highest wage in their club's history ? we give those wages regularly

And why would he want to join to a club that most chances is going to relegate when he can comeback to a club put up performances and looked good week in week out like West ham ?

It's the same for Martial - he won't go to a small club like their with his 250K

Status
Not open for further replies.