Jesse Lingard | Seoul singer

stevoc

Not going to West Ham was a bad choice. Is anyone going to offer him close to what NF paid him in England?

Maybe he can go to Saudi Arabia and they'll pay him silly money.
Yep choosing in 2021 to run his contract down has proved to be a spectacularly bad career move.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will regret that decision to come back and stay on our bench for a long time.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
It’s a bit difficult to recapture your previous form from the injury table, where he’s been for pretty much the 2nd half of the season. But hey, we all hate Jlingz here :rolleyes:

YikesSchmeics

It’s a bit difficult to recapture your previous form from the injury table, where he’s been for pretty much the 2nd half of the season. But hey, we all hate Jlingz here :rolleyes:
17 games - 0 goals 0 assists

Not the 1st or 2nd season of such woeful production either. But yea, he's brilliant just misunderstood.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I still think he has played a blinder. He had had two short, brief periods of real form in his whole career and he has managed to manipulate that into a 10+ year career, score a goal in an FA Cup final, over 200 appearances for Manchester United and his last contract was 200k a week!

He is bright, bubbly and energetic (and immature) as a personality and he hasn’t just maximized his talent, he has achieved way beyond what his talented merited.

If he now goes to the US or Middle East and cashes in again, he will have played it perfectly. Without his divisive personality, he is playing for Millwall and getting 15k a week.

He has smashed it to be honest.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
17 games - 0 goals 0 assists

Not the 1st or 2nd season of such woeful production either. But yea, he's brilliant just misunderstood.
Yeh, in the first half of the season when teams were walking through us for fun. Pretty much all of our attackers had similar stats. Difficult to create or score if you spend most of the game defending in your own half. I’m not trying to say he’s been a success but there’s a narrative on here regarding Lingard that is BS.

fallengt

Lingard, Pogba era summed up what's wrong with United
club should've done the same

Djemba-Djemba

I still think he has played a blinder. He had had two short, brief periods of real form in his whole career and he has managed to manipulate that into a 10+ year career, score a goal in an FA Cup final, over 200 appearances for Manchester United and his last contract was 200k a week!

He is bright, bubbly and energetic (and immature) as a personality and he hasn’t just maximized his talent, he has achieved way beyond what his talented merited.

If he now goes to the US or Middle East and cashes in again, he will have played it perfectly. Without his divisive personality, he is playing for Millwall and getting 15k a week.

Agree with this.

Two periods of good form in his entire career and he's managed to milk them for all they are worth.

About 3 months in the 17/18 season for us and his loan spell at West Ham. That's it basically.

I think he'll go to a club in the USA now.

flappyjay

A 29 year old has no business signing a 1 year contract for that exact reason, injuries. A very bad move from him, players his age fight to get 4-5 year deals because you don't want to be club less, low reputation at his age. He can't get the maximum contract he could have got.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
A 29 year old has no business signing a 1 year contract for that exact reason, injuries. A very bad move from him, players his age fight to get 4-5 year deals because you don't want to be club less, low reputation at his age. He can't get the maximum contract he could have got.
He signed a one year deal because it suited both parties in the event of us going back down

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Scottish football is calling.

flappyjay

Last year he was blaming the club for his bad career moves. I wonder who he is going to blame now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He signed a one year deal because it suited both parties in the event of us going back down
He should have been looking for a multi-year contract with clauses in the case of you getting relegated that included a fairly low release clause (which protects him) and a significant wage decrease (which protects Forest). That way he could easily get out if you did get relegated but he also couldn't just sit on those wages in the Championship and be a massive drain on the club.

It's actually worked well for Forest since he wasn't worth the wages he was on and you can now just release him, but it's likely quite a bad situation for Lingard now. There's a fair chance that any wages he gets now are significantly less than what he could have got 12 months ago, so ultimately he would have got more money by signing a 4 year contract on lower wages then (whether with you or somebody else). Maybe it won't work like that and he'll still get good wages since he's on a free, but I'll be surprised.

El Zoido

I don’t think he gets another PL club. MLS or Middle East beckons.
Not glam enough for the Middle East, why would they want him? They want Lambourghini’s to show off, nobody is impressed by a 2008 Fiesta. MLS would be a good option for him but he seems close with his family and probably would want to stay in England.

wolvored

Chamoionship club, a Southampton Leeds or Leicester might take a punt, as at a lower level he aint too bad. Remember Brum?

Ted Lasso

Feels like he could have been an Ashley Young type of hardworking journeyman had he been focused enough. Amazing he hung around Old Trafford for as long as he did really.
Kind of a great comparison in terms of level. Young really was a great professional.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Feels like he could have been an Ashley Young type of hardworking journeyman had he been focused enough. Amazing he hung around Old Trafford for as long as he did really.
Kind of a great comparison in terms of level. Young really was a great professional.
Ashley young was miles better talent than Lingard. He was very good left winger during his Villa days, played at a level beyond Lingard's ability.

He was in PFA team of the year twice and also won PFA young player of the year. This was at the time when PL had attacking talents like Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Torres, Drogba, RVP, Nasri, Fabregas, Gerrard, Modric (played as LW at times) and few others.

saivet

Yep choosing in 2021 to run his contract down has proved to be a spectacularly bad career move.
I think the bad career move was taking a 1 year contract with Forrest, rather than than running down his contract at United.

A three year contract at West Ham on less money a year would have been the safer move.

Matst1

Forest were completely insane giving him close to 200k. Thats something like what United would do

hobbers

He would have made more money taking a 3 year deal at Newcastle or West Ham.

Don't know what his bonuses were but I'm sure at least some of that £200k a week was dependent on appearances never mind goals or assists.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can tell he’s a brain dead player. Followed the money instead of thinking about his career. Who chooses forest over West Ham? :lol: He could have won a trophy next week.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Where is Dele Ali?

Glad ETH Came in and Helped Rashford before he self destruct.

Woodzy

Everybody is forgetting that time he scored 4 goals on his debut on loan at Birmingham.

stevoc

I think the bad career move was taking a 1 year contract with Forrest, rather than than running down his contract at United.

A three year contract at West Ham on less money a year would have been the safer move.
Well probably yeah, with both decisions though he was basing them purely on money.

stevoc

Well near enough.
Not really mate Warrington isn't even greater Manchester never mind Manchester.

And he's been "working" in Manchester since he was a kid and likely living in Manchester most of his life.
By that logic I suppose Johnny Evans, McTominay or any kid that joins Uniteds academy and moves to Manchester at 16 are Mancs too.

Or maybe we just accept that Jesse Lingard isn't from Manchester.

manutddjw

I can't see any MLS team using the Designated Player tag on him. While some players make very good money in the MLS, I doubt any club would put him in that bracket. At best he might get an offer for $400K USD per year which is a far cry from what he was making. All of his own doing mind you.