Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Ted Lasso

Fair enough. I haven't seen that article.

In any case, I'm still struggling to care.
For me it's not so much the player in question but the decision making. Do you recall the mess with Darmian? Our dead wood situation is a continuing problem not only because of the manager in question but the executives behind him. The examples piling up show United heading boldly down a self destructive path bested only by Liverpool. It's almost the same exact gameplan, a third of the way in.

redpatron

Because Moyes would admit in public if a player turned them down? Especially one that they might try to sign again next summer if the player realizes he might not get that many other great offers?
exactly, two sides to every story. Jesse didn't want to go back to West Ham because he believes he can play a higher level, he's looking at Barca and Altletico on frees. That says it all, he doesn't want to play at a small club.

hobbers

To be clear, the shambles is Ole convincing Lingard to stay last summer despite never intending to play him.

Waste of a squad number, waste of wages, waste of a potential transfer fee. Now we know there were 6 clubs interested in him, had Ole been honest with him he would definitely have been sold and it would have been better for the club and for Lingard.

The Purley King

Please stop spreading false narrative.

"No nothing like that at all," Moyes said when asked if Lingard has turned down an offer from the Hammers

"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."
Another Ole masterclass.
Not like we couldn't have used the £20m+ for someone who has barely played at all.
I don't blame Lingard at all at this point, he's been royally done over by Ole and wasted a peak year of his career. The club is a circus.

RuudTom83

Slightly off topic but United have effectively turned Martial into the new Lingard, so he will replace Jesse as the talent that is young and learning. With the club blocking every opportunity he has to leave whilst paying him millions in the meantime.

Good luck to Jesse, congrats to Martial.

Donny will leave soon and Sancho can take his warm seat on the bench..again replacing a vital position in the team.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Please stop spreading false narrative.

"No nothing like that at all," Moyes said when asked if Lingard has turned down an offer from the Hammers

"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."
Calm down, there were plenty of reports that Lingard rejected the West Ham deal.

Jesse Lingard ‘rejected permanent transfer to West Ham this summer to fight for Man Utd future’ after loan spell

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...gard-manchester-united-west-ham-transfer/amp/

Ted Lasso

Another Ole masterclass.
Not like we couldn't have used the £20m+ for someone who has barely played at all.
I don't blame Lingard at all at this point, he's been royally done over by Ole and wasted a peak year of his career. The club is a circus.
I don't blame Ole alone on this one. Who is above him in the hierarchcy to say "no Ole, we've got a club interested with decent money involved and just splunked a kings ransom on the kid from Dortmund. Jesse, Dalot and James you get to to keep one "

The club is a circus indeed.

hobbers

Calm down, there were plenty of reports that Lingard rejected the West Ham deal.
He rejected West Ham and other offers because Ole told him what he told Moyes, that Lingard was a big part of his plans.

Anto

At least its one of them out, can't believe we still have jones and mata on the payroll

tomaldinho1

He’ll leave this Jan. This is just a timely hint to the club that he’s off and they might as well accept a low ball WHUM offer.

The tragedy is he could have more chance of CL football by moving from United to WHUM. Let that sink in.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He rejected West Ham and other offers because Ole told him what he told Moyes, that Lingard was a big part of his plans.
People reading those reports would assume it was Lingard was the driving force behind not going to fight for his place etc, hence no need to bleat about 'false narratives'.

luke511

Yeah a lot of fans seem to ignore what actually happened. Solskjaer on multiple occasions this summer publicly said that Lingard was a big part of his plans this season, practically filling Lingard with false hope. This club's hemorrhaging money under Solskjaer and the board seem to have turned a blind eye to it, terrible management from all angles.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We're set to lose 130-140m worth of talent with Jesse, Cavani and Pogba. Meanwhile the likes of VDB, Henderson and Bailly will probably ask to leave as well. That's not nice

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
'Protect value' FC strikes again.

Rojo, Romero the list goes on and on. :rolleyes:

led_scholes

Losing him on free while we could have sold him for 15 millions is idiotic. But this scenario is better than renewing him for 4 years. So, I ll take it.

Flytan

Really wish the club would start forcing out players that they don't see in the future.

If they saw Lingard in the future (Ole supposedly promised him playing time?) and then don't play him ever, then I don't even know.

This club is so horribly run it's pathetic. Having his wages freed up and a small fee could only help. It's not like he's anywhere near playing regularly. And if he starts playing regularly now, then I don't even know. This club is awful.

Josh 76

I don't. It's ridiculous we didn't sell him in the summer though given Ole clearly had no intention of playing him.
Maybe Ole did have a plan for Lingard, but when Ronaldo was forced onto him at the last minute, that went out of the window.

Uniquim

This one bothers me. West Ham offered £20m for Lingard, which isn't unreasonable. He'd definitely go for less before going on loan to West Ham.
He thrived at West Ham, it'd be a great move for his career, and we'd cash a bit of extra transfer funds, and off-load a player who didn't feature much.
Instead we kept him on, didn't use him at all, and now he's leaving for free. That £20m last year would be a decent deal for United, a good one for West Ham, and a great one for Lingard. Instead we're here a year later with what ends up being a bad choice for all three parties.

peridigm

Losing him on free while we could have sold him for 15 millions is idiotic. But this scenario is better than renewing him for 4 years. So, I ll take it.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Still plenty of time for the club to feck this up and give him a new 5 year contract.

Uniquim

Maybe Ole did have a plan for Lingard, but when Ronaldo was forced onto him at the last minute, that went out of the window.
That sounds plausible for sure, but West Ham didn't grab Vlasic until deadline day. We could've gone back to them after we signed Ronaldo and revived the deal, basically covering the cost of the Ronaldo deal even if we'd accepted a £20m offer rather than hold out for £30m.

luke511

He's still behind Rashford and Sancho on the left wing, Greenwood and Sancho on the right and Bruno as CAM even before Ronaldo came in. It's just another example of Solskjaer saying one thing to the press but doing the complete opposite in reality, a walking contradiction.

prateik

Good for him.. he is clearly surplus.. we tried to sell him but apparently priced him out of a move...
Staying on a new contract and relaxing would be the wrong move for him.. and we clearly didnt make it easy for him when he wanted to leave by asking for too much..

Absolutely the right thing to do..

hope he gets a move in Jan and we get a tiny fee.. better than nothing.. if not, him leaving on a free is the right thing to do.

Giggsy13

At this rate, we are going to lose Pogba, Lingard and likely Ronaldo demanding to leave as well. How long can we anticipate players like Bruno, Varane, Rashford and Greenwood accepting mediocrity?

Last edited:

RonaldoVII

I wanted him sold in the summer but when that didn't happen I think he should've played more. He's played 18 minutes since the Villarreal stoppage time equaliser and his form has been good this season. May as well get rid of him in January now, especially when he's instagramming pictures of himself in the West Ham kit.

Teja

At this rate, we are going to lose Pogba, Lingard with likely Ronaldo demanding to leave as well. How long can we anticipate players like Bruno, Varane, Rashford and Greenwood accepting mediocrity?
Eh, not bothered with any of those leaving. Ronaldo and Pogba leaving would open up the wage bill quite a bit, I'm sure we can easily get a couple of world class players in.

I don't think anyone else in the world would be mad enough to pay Ronaldo 480k p/w after he turns 37.

Oranges038

Despite what Ole said, did he actually think that Ole was going to play him over Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Ronaldo or Cavani? He couldn't get a game last season and even a transfer listed Dan James was put in ahead of him this season.

He could have looked at it and used better judgement for himself and his own career and asked to leave.

justsomebloke

I was of the view this summer that he should be moved on, and annoyed over the decision to keep him. Important that he didn't want to move, but then it didn't exactly help that Ole apparently did not want to lose him either. As many have pointed out, why keep him if you do not intend to use him? And he has actually done very well in his few cameos, enough to warrant more chances. Unlike last year.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Shock horror. This is going to happen to us over and over and it’ll make us look even more foolish and wasteful than we ever needed to be. It’s just common sense. Weird, slow and wasteful business model the Glazers insist upon really holds us back

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Because Moyes would admit in public if a player turned them down? Especially one that they might try to sign again next summer if the player realizes he might not get that many other great offers?
If Lingard turned them down, Moyes could still say something diplomatic about "we were not able to agree on terms" etc, something which is not outright lying, but a bit vague to not confirm the hard truth.

When Moyes directly quotes something Ole said to him, you can be sure it is the truth, because otherwise he really could get into trouble.