Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Agreed, it was a blessing in disguise. Imagine they asked for 25-35M and the club went ahead with it.
I think that was the point. We were probably prepared to spend around that for him to continue his development with us and see how he got on but Newcastle obviously asked for an obscene amount of money and I don’t think we even made a bid. You have to wonder who flagged him up though as he’s just not very good. Newcastle should have snapped our hand off for 30-35

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
"Nah you can't tell its us mate"
Poor man’s Dumb & Dumber.

‘Rashy’ isn’t doing well by his association with JLingz and Pogba.

It’s no surprise he hasn’t kicked on.

We need to cut out the rotten bits asap as far as I’m concerned.

Them not being here is more valuable than any money we’d seek to recoup.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Im starting to feel like the mirrors leaks are all just the Lingard camp

redmanx

Poor man’s Dumb & Dumber.

‘Rashy’ isn’t doing well by his association with JLingz and Pogba.

It’s no surprise he hasn’t kicked on.

We need to cut out the rotten bits asap as far as I’m concerned.

Them not being here is more valuable than any money we’d seek to recoup.
I agree, Lingard was once on course to be one of the first names on Uniteds team sheets, a wonderful player loved by the fans, but then it all went wrong and like you I think Jesses hero worship of Pogba was where he lost it. I also think Martial became influenced by his fellow Frenchman too and the sooner all 3 are gone the better. Maybe then Rashford will start playing again and stop moping, if not he'll be the next.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
For all the stick he gets Lingard is actually a really good player. He works hard and he pretty much only scored bangers. The problem is he totally lost the hunger for too long and you can’t do that at a club that’s expecting to win and correctly fast fell down the pecking order. I don’t think he had his priorities straight either which didn’t help his cause. If he cared about the club and the game he’d have agreed to go last summer for a good fee with his head held high. All this is just PR so he can stick around to run his deal down, blame the club and get the most money possible and it has been since last summer

giggs-beckham

Clueless
As I said previously, have never wanted to get rid of a player so much since i was old enough to start supporting the club. His talent is not as big as his mouth is, nowhere near
He was never going to be a top drawer player from the academy. He's stayed far to long but good luck to him.

lsd

The Oracle
I agree, Lingard was once on course to be one of the first names on Uniteds team sheets, a wonderful player loved by the fans, but then it all went wrong and like you I think Jesses hero worship of Pogba was where he lost it. I also think Martial became influenced by his fellow Frenchman too and the sooner all 3 are gone the better. Maybe then Rashford will start playing again and stop moping, if not he'll be the next.

Do you blame Pogba for covid too?

Lingard has always been the same and it's time to stop making excuses for him same for Martial and Rashford

For all the stick he gets Lingard is actually a really good player. He works hard and he pretty much only scored bangers. The problem is he totally lost the hunger for too long and you can’t do that at a club that’s expecting to win and correctly fast fell down the pecking order.
The only bit in here that's actually true is that he works hard.

Lingard was always a squad player who only started half of our league games in each of his first 4 seasons (2015 to 19), playing almost exactly the same amount of minutes each time (50%). He didn't contribute nearly enough output, averaging literally 4 league goals a season throughout this time (boosted by that purple patch in December 2017) - "pretty much only scored bangers" is a massive problem when you're only doing it once every three months.

He hasn't gotten any worse as a player due to losing his hunger or whatever, either - he's the exact same player now that he was as a 24-year-old, and that's a lower-midtable Premier League attacking midfielder at best. Never good enough to start regularly for a top-4 side, and never did at any point in his time here. Complete lunacy on our part to not cash in on him last summer after he produced the second purple patch of his career.

I agree, Lingard was once on course to be one of the first names on Uniteds team sheets, a wonderful player loved by the fans
See above. This never happened and never even looked likely to happen - it was clear by 2016 (Mourinho's first season) that he was never going to be this good.

stevoc

Quite a few journalists seem to be getting hourly updates from Lingard on his thoughts, feelings and observations of his teammates. I'm sure they are giving Jesse so much press and positive spin out of the goodness of their hearts.

stevoc

For all the stick he gets Lingard is actually a really good player. He works hard and he pretty much only scored bangers. The problem is he totally lost the hunger for too long and you can’t do that at a club that’s expecting to win and correctly fast fell down the pecking order. I don’t think he had his priorities straight either which didn’t help his cause. If he cared about the club and the game he’d have agreed to go last summer for a good fee with his head held high. All this is just PR so he can stick around to run his deal down, blame the club and get the most money possible and it has been since last summer
Bingo and it's so obvious.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was he?

stevoc

Sadly yes he was our attacking options under Van Gaal and Mourinho were pretty dire if we're being honest. People have convinced themselves the current squad is bad. But towards the end of Mourinho's time our attacking options behind the strikers were Sanchez, Fellaini, Pereira, Mata, Young and Lingard. Depressing times.

clarkydaz

I don't recall this heartache and injustice when people like Butt. Brown, Neville had to leave the club. Youth products who actually won lots of big trophies. Summer can't come quick enough

Eugenius

Sensible take.

I'm assuming he's only really been on a proper first team contract for the last five years or so, as a late bloomer. Would imagine an extra £5-10m signing on fee as a free agent is not to be sniffed at in the last five years of your career.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I have never seen so many words written about such an average player. If he goes united get a couple of million that nobody will ever notice, if he stays then it’s highly likely that he contributes very little.

romufc

This wouldnt of happen under fergie and david gill. Just shows how far the club have fallen. A homegrown lad, let him move on with his career. Asking £12mil bonus payement if newcastle stay up is just wrong.

Yes Newcastle should cover full wages and pay a loan fee but thats it. Better to get something for him now rather than nothing in the summer.
We need to move on from Fergie, we made mistakes under him too.

Asking for a bonus payment is wrong ? how so? If he helps them stay up, Manutd are justified in asking these demands. Just like when he signed hsi contract he asked for 100k.

Secondly, everyone a report saying he would rather join a club at the bottom over United, thats false, he is only going Newcastle on loan, he has rejected the chance to join on a permanent in Jan, why? Because he wants a fat signing on fee in the summer.

Why should the club look out for Jesse? when he has decided to run his contract down and look after himself?

We got quoted a fee of £50m for Longstaff, so Newcastle either pay up or lose out on him because unless they offer him 200k in the summer with £10m signing on fee, he is not signing for them.

AndySmith1990

I have never seen so many words written about such an average player. If he goes united get a couple of million that nobody will ever notice, if he stays then it’s highly likely that he contributes very little.
Indeed. When we were a successful club with a team of world class, professional players, a mediocre player like Lingard would've come and gone without any fuss and without anyone caring. He'd have been as irrelevant as Luke Chadwick.

Long Time Red

Ridiculous we didn't move him on last summer and complete ineptitude from Woodward and co.

West Ham probably would have given us £10-15m and it would have been a good move Jesse as well as us.

Instead we're going to pay £5m+ on wages and missed out on a decent fee for a who player who will hardly feature this season.

With City, Liverpool and Chelsea all closing the gap financially we really can't afford to piss away money like this anymore.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
There’s a nice little tidbit in the athletic piece on this - Lingard didn’t want to leave at the start of the month but Newcastle are offering Lingard significantly more in wages than he’s currently on to move on loan. So he’ll get a pay rise for 6 months then get to leave on a free and the lucrative wages and bonuses that brings in the summer - whilst we get zilch. Talk about trying to have your cake and eat it.

Coops73

so why doesn't he submit a transfer request?
Probably because he’d miss out on certain bonuses/wages etc, which is fine, I get why you wouldn’t hand in a transfer request because it’s going to cost you financially but let’s not pretend it’s because United are being unreasonable.

I’m more than comfortable with United demanding the supposed things they want, I know some want the likes of Jesse gone at all cost but I feel like United have had their pants pulled down on more than most when it comes to transfers and that’s got to stop.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There’s a nice little tidbit in the athletic piece on this - Lingard didn’t want to leave at the start of the month but Newcastle are offering Lingard significantly more in wages than he’s currently on to move on loan. So he’ll get a pay rise for 6 months then get to leave on a free and the lucrative wages and bonuses that brings in the summer - whilst we get zilch. Talk about trying to have your cake and eat it.
The blame lies firmly at the clubs door for their transfer policies/contract extensions they've been giving out for years. Can't blame a player for a possible 10m in the pocket if he waits another 6 months. Would you?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The blame lies firmly at the clubs door for their transfer policies/contract extensions they've been giving out for years. Can't blame a player for a possible 10m in the pocket if he waits another 6 months. Would you?
No. But what I can blame the player for is him and his entourage leaking to every news source on the planet that we’re treating him poorly and “he just wants to play”. It’s bollocks.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Lingard didn’t want to leave at the start of the month but Newcastle are offering Lingard significantly more in wages than he’s currently on to move on loan
I read that, interesting, but hardly surprising.

If true the clubs position re: bonus payments is brilliant :D

Re: the leaks. I love it when dumb people try to be clever but really only end up digging themselves a bigger hole.

Smores

Probably because he’d miss out on certain bonuses/wages etc, which is fine, I get why you wouldn’t hand in a transfer request because it’s going to cost you financially but let’s not pretend it’s because United are being unreasonable.

I’m more than comfortable with United demanding the supposed things they want, I know some want the likes of Jesse gone at all cost but I feel like United have had their pants pulled down on more than most when it comes to transfers and that’s got to stop.
So the option that is classed as us getting our pants pulled down is a 5 million fee and wages covered? And not the path where we have to pay his wages and receive zilch?

Feels very much like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

RedDevil@84

I don't recall this heartache and injustice when people like Butt. Brown, Neville had to leave the club. Youth products who actually won lots of big trophies. Summer can't come quick enough
And you wonder why modern players are so touchy about everything.

Coops73

So the option that is classed as us getting our pants pulled down is a 5 million fee and wages covered? And not the path where we have to pay his wages and receive zilch?

Feels very much like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
I’m not talking about the Jesse Lingard situation per se, I’m talking historically, whether that be the fees we pay or sell at and if not accepting anything less than what we want for Lingard and having to pay his wages for the next six months is the price we have to pay so that all football clubs understand we won’t be taken the piss out of , then I think it serves a purpose.

I certainly think that over the last 10-12 years we have been forced to over pay, in transfer fees and wages which has then resulted in United not getting a fair deal when selling a player on or making it extremely difficult to move a player on because of the high wages which we are paying, yes to a degree there may be a certain “United tax” element to it because we are a wealthy club and I would argue and put the blame over these Inflated fees at the feet of Woodward and the Glazers because a lack of success and competency in negotiating and the general running of the club, it will, in turn, force you to over compensate to get players you want/need.

Let’s hope Arnold has learnt from that and as has been quoted leave to football side of things to football people.

I ain’t holding my breath though.

crossy1686

career ending
I honestly don't understand this stance Lingard is taking, acting like he's been completely disrespected by the club because they won't let him run down the last 6 months of his contract at another club while United pay for it. He's been disrespecting the club and the fans for the last 2 years with his performances and social media activity so there's zero empathy for him here.

I can only imagine these feckers got to do whatever they wanted, on their own terms under Solskjaer and now he's acting like someone's pissed on his chips because they're going to let him do whatever he feels like. The immaturity and lack of professionalism is astounding.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I honestly don't understand this stance Lingard is taking, acting like he's been completely disrespected by the club because they won't let him run down the last 6 months of his contract at another club while United pay for it. He's been disrespecting the club and the fans for the last 2 years with his performances and social media activity so there's zero empathy for him here.

I can only imagine these feckers got to do whatever they wanted, on their own terms under Solskjaer and now he's acting like someone's pissed on his chips because they're going to let him do whatever he feels like. The immaturity and lack of professionalism is astounding.
That's not at all what's proposed. This is just a blatantly false claim of yours. I honestly don't understand why you would post stuff in such bad faith.

crossy1686

career ending
That's not at all what's proposed. This is just a blatantly false claim of yours. I honestly don't understand why you would post stuff in such bad faith.
Bad faith? What? He wants to go out on loan, he has 6 months left on his contract, he wants United to waive any sort of package that would benefit them so he can play football elsewhere.

Hailee

so why doesn't he submit a transfer request?
He did ask to leave. So did Dean Henderson.

Also, submitting a transfer request with 6 months remaining on the contract is pretty dumb? That's like asking your club to release you from your contract early so you can sign for another team.

He did. The club turned the transfer offer down, not Lingard. Ole said he wanted to keep him.

If the club accepted the offer and Ole told Lingard he will only be a reserve player here, he'd be a West Ham player today.

Newcastle is offering United a loan fee and fully paying his wages, so this is bullshit.

The immaturity and lack of professionalism from the club is astounding.

Look, I dislike Lingard too for his dabbing and his beans beans beans, and especially for him focusing on his brand instead of his football.

But let's be fair, he was just a kid with too much money. He has since cleaned up his act and performed well for West Ham. He should be given a chance to play.

If we deem him not good enough, then we should be letting him go.

It boggles my mind when it's simply common sense. Why hold onto Lingard when you think he is not valuable enough to play but yet expect other clubs to pay a sky high fee for him?

shahzy

He did ask to leave. So did Dean Henderson.

Also, submitting a transfer request with 6 months remaining on the contract is pretty dumb? That's like asking your club to release you from your contract early so you can sign for another team.

He did. The club turned the transfer offer down, not Lingard. Ole said he wanted to keep him.

If the club accepted the offer and Ole told Lingard he will only be a reserve player here, he'd be a West Ham player today.

Newcastle is offering United a loan fee and fully paying his wages, so this is bullshit.

The immaturity and lack of professionalism from the club is astounding.

Look, I dislike Lingard too for his dabbing and his beans beans beans, and especially for him focusing on his brand instead of his football.

But let's be fair, he was just a kid with too much money. He has since cleaned up his act and performed well for West Ham. He should be given a chance to play.

If we deem him not good enough, then we should be letting him go.

It boggles my mind when it's simply common sense. Why hold onto Lingard when you think he is not valuable enough to play but yet expect other clubs to pay a sky high fee for him?
They are asking 15mil for him yeh? In a world where players long longstaff and AWB are valued at 50mil, 15mil is "skyhigh"?

You're living in the past. 15mil in this day and age doesnt even get you a squad player. Lingard would improve their squad and potentially save them from relegation which is easily a jackpot amount of money. Oh also they are the richest club on earth, the money doesnt effect them yet because FFP wont come into the question for them until they start competing for european spots.

OmarUnited4ever

Why hold onto Lingard when you think he is not valuable enough to play but yet expect other clubs to pay a sky high fee for him?
The answer is simple, because he is under contract with the club, if another team wants to loan him, then they should accept United's demands, that's all.

United has no obligation to compromise on anything here, they can of course compromise but they are not obligated to do so.

Napoli accepted United's demands when they asked for Tuanzebe, Leeds made the club a great offer when they asked to get James permanently, this is the right way of doing business, when United want to get a player, the other clubs also get to make high demands, as this is their right, and United should also demand what they deem acceptable to them.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Well its his perogative to get as much money as he can.
Where big wages is concerned he's not Messi. He'll not get 400k a week somewhere because he's signing with no fee.

I just can't wait to see the back of the circus.
He's outlived his usefulness as a player at United a long time ago

The company must learn how to deal with players approaching end of contract duration