Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Gandalf

We're set to lose 130-140m worth of talent with Jesse, Cavani and Pogba. Meanwhile the likes of VDB, Henderson and Bailly will probably ask to leave as well. That's not nice
Well to be honest Cavani was going to leave on a free this summer and so is not really comparable to the others. Pogba has effectively been running his contract down for over 2 years and there is nothing we can do about it because he wants a free transfer and is not going to entertain an extension or a transfer with a fee. Jesse may have been a mistake but as mentioned above, if Ronaldo had not suddenly become available we would probably have seen a lot more of Jesse this season and it is a squad game. We have not had too many injuries up top but if we had we then look stupid if we sell all of our backups.

Judas

Open to offers
Can't even begin to give a feck. Nothing against him, wish him all the best, on his day a brilliant player, but we've got far bigger issues going on. Wish we'd pushed him out in the summer, but we were weak as per usual.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
But unbelievably in my view, that game time has not happened, despite Bruno being out of form in certain games.
Not just that because I'd always start Bruno ahead of Lingard, but Lingard when he has appeared has done very well and on more than one occasion we wouldn't have won a vital game without him. Yet he barely even gets 5 minutes from the bench.

Meanwhile other players get picked repeatedly when they aren't fit and then proceed to perform appallingly and be a liability to the team.

Should have let him go for cheaper in the summer or actually given him fair playing time. Rather than waste a year of his career and probably about £20m of the club's money.

stevoc

So while we all look forward to seeing £90m Paul Pogba leave Old Trafford on a free now, according to Sky Sports News talks between Jesse Lingard and Man Utd have collapsed and he will now look to leave the club on a free transfer in the summer - and may even look for a loan switch in January, similar to the move he made last season to West Ham.

The 28-year-old's present deal expires next summer and United hoped to extend the England midfielder's time at Old Trafford following a successful loan spell at West Ham in the second half of last season.

Lingard opted to stay at Manchester United this season even though it is claimed six clubs asked about his services, believing manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would provide him with more game time.

But unbelievably in my view, that game time has not happened, despite Bruno being out of form in certain games.

Meanwhile Ole remains manager of the club after a series of diabolical results.

Our club is a shambles. A total, utter shambles.
I'm sure he really did believe he would get more playing time. Yeah right.

stevoc

I never expected that he wouldn't leave on a free. Once you let players get to the last year of their contract it's inevitable. I think it was always his plan.
Yep I agree if he had wanted a move in the summer he could have easily got one. He knew it was unlikely he would break into this front 4 so that leaves the only other possibility that he wants to run his contract down. Which is fair enough that's his right but this nonsense will inevitably used as a stick to beat Ole and the club with.

Green_Red

Wait, so you guys now want Lingard to stay? I can’t keep up.
:lol: welcome to redcafe...

Lingard has had all the chances he needed here. He should have been sold to West Ham last summer. He is making a good decision for his own career moving on and good luck to him. The fact it's for free is a serious lack of management of the football club as a whole. What are Woodward and Mourtagh doing? Honestly, completely clueless.

But good luck to Lingard, I was one of his biggest backers here for a long time, even long after most had given up on him, but it hasn't worked out the way he would have wanted. Go somewhere else and do what you did at West Ham.

RedDevil@84

Lingard opted to stay at Manchester United this season even though it is claimed six clubs asked about his services, believing manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would provide him with more game time.
Yup mate. Clubs were lining up at OT, we had to issue appointments

AFC NimbleThumb

We're set to lose 130-140m worth of talent with Jesse, Cavani and Pogba. Meanwhile the likes of VDB, Henderson and Bailly will probably ask to leave as well. That's not nice
People aren’t highlighting how shambolic our squad will look come the end of this season enough. For all the, ‘He’s built a great squad’ he hasn’t & it’s about to fall to pieces anyway. Telles & Dalot will want out too. Martial for all his faults won’t want to hang around.

We’ve squandered years in this set up when the warning signs were apparent & clear. What could have been a decent base for a new manager will be a shambles of a squad.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why should it be less then ?
Don't even think what he has or hasn't done to deserve it is relevant.

If if was me and the club ran my contract down and still weren't giving me playing time, I definitely wouldn't be signing a contract for less money, or any contract in a hurry. You'd want some indication the plan isn't to just keep you around to rot on the bench and only be allowed to leave on the club's terms.

And that's exactly what his agent would be telling him even if he wasn't thinking it himself.

Only stupid football clubs let player contracts run into the final year before trying to re-negotiate them or moving the player on.

luke511

I'm sure he really did believe he would get more playing time. Yeah right.
If a manager is repeatedly saying that you've got a big part to play this season you're going to trust him right?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
People aren’t highlighting how shambolic our squad will look come the end of this season enough. For all the, ‘He’s built a great squad’ he hasn’t & it’s about to fall to pieces anyway. Telles & Dalot will want out too. Martial for all his faults won’t want to hang around.

We’ve squandered years in this set up when the warning signs were apparent & clear. What could have been a decent base for a new manager will be a shambles of a squad.
this. Also note that this team is not build for the future. Most of our first teamers (DDG, Maguire, Varane, Fred, Cavani, Ronaldo, Pogba etc) are at the wrong end of their 20s or in their 30s. So this never ending rebuilding process is well never ending.

stevoc

If a manager is repeatedly saying that you've got a big part to play this season you're going to trust him right?
If the same manager barely plays you for over a calendar year, then loans you out for 6 months. Then no I wouldn't personally.

Besides I doubt Jesse plans on staying, It seems obvious to me when he rejected the idea of going to West Ham that he wanted to run his contract down.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well to be honest Cavani was going to leave on a free this summer and so is not really comparable to the others. Pogba has effectively been running his contract down for over 2 years and there is nothing we can do about it because he wants a free transfer and is not going to entertain an extension or a transfer with a fee. Jesse may have been a mistake but as mentioned above, if Ronaldo had not suddenly become available we would probably have seen a lot more of Jesse this season and it is a squad game. We have not had too many injuries up top but if we had we then look stupid if we sell all of our backups.
Pogba should have been given a contract when he asked for it. Instead we went for the mandatory 1 year contract extension only to spend the remaining time begging him to stay. Lingard should have been sold in the summer. It wouldn't hurt if Ole starts playing his biggest summer transfer signing more especially considering what a good eye he's got for talent (according to Ole inners)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's not what has been reported since 2018 though, what has been said is that United wouldn't entertain anything less than a world record fee.

luke511

If the same manager barely plays you for over a calendar year, then loans you out for 6 months. Then no I wouldn't personally.

Besides I doubt Jesse plans on staying, It seems obvious to me when he rejected the idea of going to West Ham that he wanted to run his contract down.
He'd just returned after a fine run of form at West Ham, he will've built up enough confidence in himself to believe what Solskjaer was repeatedly saying, that he was going to have a big part to play for utd.

Gandalf

That's not what has been reported since 2018 though, what has been said is that United wouldn't entertain anything less than a world record fee.
Regardless of what United would or would not entertain it has been clear that a free transfer is his end game for a couple of years now. The 1 year extension being triggered might have given us leverage to sell him at the end of the 19/20 season and I believe that was under consideration but COVID destroyed the transfer market that summer and the opportunity was lost. The talk of a world record fee is just talk in much the same way that Madrid and Juve briefed they were interested and suggested fees around 60m which considering what we paid were obviously a joke, it is just negotiation through the media. In a world where a scrub like Joao Felix can go for over 100m United had every right to look for a profit on any sale.

Sviken

I don't know what to say about this. Utter shambles. 20-30 million player we're letting go for free because of Ole and fecking Woodward. That's 20-30 million we could have used to fund a transfer for a good player, instead - nothing. We're such a joke..

stevoc

He'd just returned after a fine run of form at West Ham, he will've built up enough confidence in himself to believe what Solskjaer was repeatedly saying, that he was going to have a big part to play for utd.
Maybe, maybe not. Regardless of whatever Solskjaer has been saying (as we don't know what's been said privately) I think Jesse's plan has been to run his contract down and leave on a free. Which is fair enough.

JPRouve

Scout
Regardless of what United would or would not entertain it has been clear that a free transfer is his end game for a couple of years now. The 1 year extension being triggered might have given us leverage to sell him at the end of the 19/20 season and I believe that was under consideration but COVID destroyed the transfer market that summer and the opportunity was lost. The talk of a world record fee is just talk in much the same way that Madrid and Juve briefed they were interested and suggested fees around 60m which considering what we paid were obviously a joke, it is just negotiation through the media. In a world where a scrub like Joao Felix can go for over 100m United had every right to look for a profit on any sale.
How is that clear, when there is no other alternatives and United allegedly wants a world record fee? You talking about what Pogba only wanting a free transfer is also just talks from you, there is nothing to support the idea that he wouldn't entertain a transfer and if United refused to sell him, there is nothing he can do outside of waiting or going on strike. And while United had every right to look for a profit other clubs have every rights to not offer that much money.

Gandalf

How is that clear, when there is no other alternatives and United allegedly wants a world record fee? You talking about what Pogba only wanting a free transfer is also just talks from you, there is nothing to support the idea that he wouldn't entertain a transfer and if United refused to sell him, there is nothing he can do outside of waiting or going on strike. And while United had every right to look for a profit other clubs have every rights to not offer that much money.
He is looking to be the highest paid player in whichever league he plays in, not a club in the world is going to offer him that contract and pay a fee for him and he knows that. Of course I cannot know with 100% certainty but it certainly appears from all evidence that a free transfer has been his aim for some time now and the impact of COVID on the last couple of transfer windows has just made it inevitable. I don't see how anyone can say that the club or Ole is to blame for allowing his contract to run down when no bid has been received and he has given no indication he would sign an extension.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Instagram pic shows what he thinks of club that have supported him through his difficulties and 18 months of horrendous form before his loan.

It will be good to see the back of players like him and Pogba.

A quality manager with the likes of Varane and Ronaldo as examples and leaders, is the way forward.

Matt851

As with Jesse I am sure we could have sold pogba over the last couple of summers if we had been willing to accept a low fee. The problem with him is that no club was desperate to buy him because they recognise he hasn't played consistently well for united so we would have to make it a good deal for the buying club. This would have been much lower than we bought him for and this might be embarrassing for ed

DizeeGorilla20

Solskjaer's lies have caught up with him.

There's only so much bull sh*t a man can take before he lashes out.

Zen86

Didn’t he hire Raiola not that long ago? This was probably the plan all along. Max money for JLingz.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yep I agree if he had wanted a move in the summer he could have easily got one. He knew it was unlikely he would break into this front 4 so that leaves the only other possibility that he wants to run his contract down. Which is fair enough that's his right but this nonsense will inevitably used as a stick to beat Ole and the club with.
He's have to be an idiot to look at our squad in the summer and think he was going to get more playing time.

He's played it well, he'll get a large chunk of any transfer fee as a signing on fee instead.

JPRouve

Scout
He is looking to be the highest paid player in whichever league he plays in, not a club in the world is going to offer him that contract and pay a fee for him and he knows that. Of course I cannot know with 100% certainty but it certainly appears from all evidence that a free transfer has been his aim for some time now and the impact of COVID on the last couple of transfer windows has just made it inevitable. I don't see how anyone can say that the club or Ole is to blame for allowing his contract to run down when no bid has been received and he has given no indication he would sign an extension.
You don't know what he is looking for, you don't know if he would entertain a transfer, there is no evidence at all. The only thing that you have is rumours that United wanted a world record fee, rumours that United didn't entertain offers around 60m and that a player is free when his contract ends. If a club rejects 60m for a player that is worth 60m than you can quite easily blame them when two years later the player can leave for nothing. And Lequipe actually reported that he wanted to extend, it could be true or not but you do have indications.

And in general this club has been terrible with these things, we let our captain, Vidic, seemingly in the dark and he eventually signed for Inter, we let Herrera leave on a free instead of selling him a year earlier, cleverley and we are now seemingly doing the same thing with Lingard and Pogba.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I don't know if it's Ole, or other management, but there's clearly a bad precedent being set of misguiding players. It will come back to bite.

JPRouve

Scout
As with Jesse I am sure we could have sold pogba over the last couple of summers if we had been willing to accept a low fee. The problem with him is that no club was desperate to buy him because they recognise he hasn't played consistently well for united so we would have to make it a good deal for the buying club. This would have been much lower than we bought him for and this might be embarrassing for ed
That's how I see it, between performances that do not match a very high fee and injuries, United couldn't bring themselves to sell him for a big loss.