Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Ranchero

So while we all look forward to seeing £90m Paul Pogba leave Old Trafford on a free now, according to Sky Sports News talks between Jesse Lingard and Man Utd have collapsed and he will now look to leave the club on a free transfer in the summer - and may even look for a loan switch in January, similar to the move he made last season to West Ham.

The 28-year-old's present deal expires next summer and United hoped to extend the England midfielder's time at Old Trafford following a successful loan spell at West Ham in the second half of last season.

Lingard opted to stay at Manchester United this season even though it is claimed six clubs asked about his services, believing manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would provide him with more game time.

But unbelievably in my view, that game time has not happened, despite Bruno being out of form in certain games.

Meanwhile Ole remains manager of the club after a series of diabolical results.

Our club is a shambles. A total, utter shambles.

Ranchero

Wait, so you guys now want Lingard to stay? I can’t keep up.
'You guys' implies that the collective view is that he should go. Jesse Lingard turned his form around and has shown for England and West Ham that he is worthy. All clubs must operate as a meritocracy. But it hasn't in relation to Jesse Lingard. How he has not merited a starting place in a side that has been horrific this season is beyond me. So i am not one of 'you guys'.

Castia

Wanted him sold but for money that could be reinvested into the squad

I’m sure West Ham would have paid 25-30m for him after the season he had for them.

Same thing for Mata he’s been signing one year extensions now for a few years and probably plays about 5 games a season. Completely pointless.

redpatron

so you want us to give Jesse a new 5 year deal with higher wages and complain about it next fall? this place

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
No, should've sold him in the summer when west ham wanted him, instead he leaves on a free. It's just another bad call to add to the list of amateur decisions by this club!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been here about 4 seasons longer than he had any right to be.

Gandalf

We need to say no to a loan and push for a permanent deal in January. We do have leverage as Jesse will want to play regularly to ensure he makes the World Cup squad, we should be taking a similar approach with Pogba.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No.

I did want him to be sold though, as sales help fund our incomings. And he was an in-demand player we didn't need.

Having successfully revived his form with the loan to West Ham we could have either used him or made money off him. Doing neither deserves criticism.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I never expected that he wouldn't leave on a free. Once you let players get to the last year of their contract it's inevitable. I think it was always his plan.

Swedish_Plumber

It’s absolutely typical of United to lose him on a free once he’s started playing well after playing him game after game when he was utterly useless.

Hope he finds great form wherever he moves to, his goal in that FA cup final was sensational and we’ll always have that.

spiriticon

Pretty sure it was Lingard that rejected West Ham and not us that refused to let him go.

In any case, I'm struggling to give a shit about this. If he stays, great. If he goes, great. If he retires, great.

Gandalf

No, should've sold him in the summer when west ham wanted him, instead he leaves on a free. It's just another bad call to add to the list of amateur decisions by this club!
Not sure what to believe here though. The stories in the summer were that Jesse had no interest in making a permanent move and West Ham never made a bid. We could have taken a tougher stance and told Jesse he was not wanted I suppose but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He's not good enough to get in our first team and he (rightly for his career) isn't happy with a bit-part role. It's the best decision to let him go. The only problem is that we should've let him go in the summer.

People will use him leaving as another stick to beat the club with though and will forget about his mediocrity for us for a long time and just remember his good moments.

Ranchero

Lingard and Donny might be our most popular players now. Who'd have thought?
Lingard has done much more than Donny in his sporadic starts. But Donny is loved because at least Lingard had numerous chances before rediscovering top form at West Ham. Quite why we ignore a player of his abilities is beyond me. Nine goals and four assists in just 16 games for West Ham says more about how Moyes has developed him, while Ole consigns him to the bench. It is all about coaching folks. And our coaching sucks to high heaven. As we all should know by now.

Ranchero

He's not good enough to get in our first team and he (rightly for his career) isn't happy with a bit-part role. It's the best decision to let him go. The only problem is that we should've let him go in the summer.

People will use him leaving as another stick to beat the club with though and will forget about his mediocrity for us for a long time and just remember his good moments.
I totally disagree that he is not good enough. He isn't even getting a bit-part role. When players are so bang off form he should have been in the side. And when he plays well he stays. But when he does well he gets put back on the bench. He has precisely the energy, especially on the press that we need. It is criminal that we are going to lose Pogba and Lingard on a free. It is a sackable offence.

FerociousCorgis

should have made it clear that lingard wasn't going to play this year enough for his England international career to continue. Stop focusing on west ham. Had Ole any idea of how to manage properly wouldve made it clear where he stood and said to go find some other clubs/give a list of clubs that he would approve. Couldve easily got 20 million and reinvested to deeper midfield options.

Matriac

Pretty sure it was Lingard that rejected West Ham and not us that refused to let him go.

In any case, I'm struggling to give a shit about this. If he stays, great. If he goes, great. If he retires, great.
This. Why people seem to think we refused to sell him I don't get. We never got any offers from any clubs that Lingard was willing to move to. (He went there on loan for half a season for guaranteed playing time to get into the England Euros squad.)

Edit: And now we've been offering him a new contract on squad player terms, lower salary than he already had here. And he's rejected our offer to go elsewhere instead. Nothing controversial. If anything it shows that the club has gotten a lot better at not renewing players on silly contracts.

OleTheGreat

Lingard is a decent player and runs well off the ball and works hard to press on the player in possession but his first touch is one of the worst and I think he can do better in a team like West Ham or Leicester where possession is not that important and the ball is moved quickly from defense to attack.

Ted Lasso

The outrage is that we let him walk free instead of having sold him over the summer for £20 million.

Much like Darmian before him, it's utterly shambolic business. And even worse man management.

Ranchero

People always post stuff like this as if it can’t be two different people having different opinions.

I’d agree we certainly should have looked to make some money from him.
I wonder whether the majority of people who are on RedCafe would want to keep Lingard and felt he was worthy of far more game time than he is getting. For me, if he plays, he does well and remains. He hasn't even been given a chance to fight for his place by Ole. Which is criminal.

Heardy

It’s not a case of people doing a 180 on him, more the shambles of having been able to get a decent fee off the back of a storming loan, only to promise him time, not give it him and then let him go on a free.

Shambolic management from the club.

Angelinho

This. Why people seem to think we refused to sell him I don't get.
Because Moyes said so:

“Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him. So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying.

Evening Standard

Ted Lasso

Please stop spreading false narrative.

"No nothing like that at all," Moyes said when asked if Lingard has turned down an offer from the Hammers

"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."

Red Royal

Very poor business, should have sold whilst he was on a relative high. Clear squad space for Hanibal, save wages and get a fee. Yes he helped us beat West Ham and Villereal, but cost us at Young Boys. Not his fault it is the shambolic decision makers.

Matriac

Because Moyes said so:

“Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him. So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying.

Evening Standard
Because Moyes would admit in public if a player turned them down? Especially one that they might try to sign again next summer if the player realizes he might not get that many other great offers?

spiriticon

Please stop spreading false narrative.

"No nothing like that at all," Moyes said when asked if Lingard has turned down an offer from the Hammers

"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."
Fair enough. I haven't seen that article.

In any case, I'm still struggling to care.

mu4c_20le

Imagine if he was sold to West Ham for peanuts and they finished above us

Good for him and good for us. We should have sold him when we had the chance but we didn't, so now let's just get him off the wage bill and let him go and play somewhere else.

Irrational.

Well done Ole. Great job getting him to stay, play feck all games and losing out on a £20-25 million transfer fee that we could’ve used on a midfielder. :houllier:

Ranchero

Lingard is a decent player and runs well off the ball and works hard to press on the player in possession but his first touch is one of the worst and I think he can do better in a team like West Ham or Leicester where possession is not that important and the ball is moved quickly from defense to attack.
Sorry to say but this smacks of the notion from some fans that Man Utd are some holy grail club. We are not any more. You are talking about a West Ham side under Man Utd reject David Moyes that are six points ahead of us in the Premiership, beat Liverpool while we got slaughtered, and look more likely to finish top 4 than we are. He walks into the West Ham side. He did last season. They love him. And they are a better side currently than we are.