Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
would you pay millions for something that you could get for free 6 months later? Probably not...
Madrid offered 200m for Mbappe with 12 months left.
What I meant was that hes just not in demand, no one is breaking the door down to get him sooner and would be willing to wait 6 months and risk other teams going for him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not trying to big him up here, but -

I have noticed how people big up Mourinho's 2nd place finish as our best season post SAF; wasn't Lingard a big part of that as our CAM?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm not trying to big him up here, but -

I have noticed how people big up Mourinho's 2nd place finish as our best season post SAF; wasn't Lingard a big part of that as our CAM?
Mkhi, Mata, Sanchez, and Lingard all played there. Of them, Mata had the most appearances in the league.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is how football works now

Agree a contract with a player, player fulfills that contract and is then free to leave
That's basically it. However let's stop being so sentimental about players because they are 'homegrown', 'British', 'they have a sob story' bla bla bla. Most players are in it for the money and they wouldn't mind throwing us under the bus for it. Performances is what matters nothing more nothing less.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Mkhi, Mata, Sanchez, and Lingard all played there. Of them, Mata had the most appearances in the league.
Didn't Mata play as a RAM,as far as I remember he hardly got a game centrally?

I remember it as Mkhitarayan at CAM then got replaced as Lingard centrally.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Didn't Mata play as a RAM,as far as I remember he hardly got a game centrally?

I remember it as Mkhitarayan at CAM then got replaced as Lingard centrally.
Ya could be. I remember it was Martial, Lingard, and Pogba who were performing just before Sanchez came, and I was hoping he'd be put on the right and complete the front line. And then everything turned to shit.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he rubs people the wrong way because he was making stupid videos and creating a clothing brand while he was serving up really awful performances over a period of two years.

It’s not a big deal or anything, but that will rub fans the wrong way, because what they care about are performances first and foremost

I was going to say “it would be like such and such launching a brand” but I can’t really think of an equivalent at City, Liverpool or Chelsea, because a player like Lingard would never get 40 appearances for them, nevermind 150. And therein lies the problem.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
West Ham didn't want to pay that much and Lingard didn't want to move there.
Lingard "didn't want to move there" because he was promised plenty of game time if he returned to OT and told that he was a vital first team player, which turned out to be a bare faced lie, because Solskjaer still didn't play Lingard even after his successful loan spell.
If Lingard had been told the honest truth by Solskjaer "I don't rate you, I'm not going to pick you and I don't see a future for you here" then Lingard would have taken up a transfer offer.
No professional of 29 is going to want to sit on the bench every week, especially after getting himself back into the England squad.

I've never been a fan of Lingard, but I think he has every right to feel aggrieved by the broken promises.
I just don't understand the logic of persuading him to stay and then never playing him, its bonkers.

ForeverRed1

Madrid offered 200m for Mbappe with 12 months left.
What I meant was that hes just not in demand, no one is breaking the door down to get him sooner and would be willing to wait 6 months and risk other teams going for him.
You can’t really compare lingard to mbappe though, different worlds. We wouldn’t get much for him so maybe we would rather keep him and utilise him this season than get a couple million. We know he’s going in the summer at worst.

for all we know he could already know where’s he’s going. Verbal agreement and all that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeh, as a neutral, can't blame them sitting on lucrative deal.

As a neutral, I wouldn't care if Pogba and his agent are mouthing off or shit on United also. Just like I don't care if Glazer own United. it's just how business work. Nor care that Ole was a United manager spending half billion with no trophy in 4 years.

But then I'm not a neutral.

Anyway, I'm glad Lingard will be gone. Just another player that will be remember for wrong reason.
Hm, good point. For United fan, all these things are annoying, i agree with you

stevoc

Lingard "didn't want to move there" because he was promised plenty of game time if he returned to OT and told that he was a vital first team player, which turned out to be a bare faced lie, because Solskjaer still didn't play Lingard even after his successful loan spell.
Are there actual quotes for this?

Or is it just media speculation?

If Lingard had been told the honest truth by Solskjaer "I don't rate you, I'm not going to pick you and I don't see a future for you here" then Lingard would have taken up a transfer offer.
No professional of 29 is going to want to sit on the bench every week, especially after getting himself back into the England squad.

I've never been a fan of Lingard, but I think he has every right to feel aggrieved by the broken promises.
I just don't understand the logic of persuading him to stay and then never playing him, its bonkers.
Not playing him for almost the entire calendar year of 2020 and then loaning him out for the first half of 2021. All the while assembling a forward line of Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, Cavani and Ronaldo should have surely made him realize he wasn't going to play much at United.

Siezard

We should try and get something for him in January.
The ruling is Lingard is able to discuss any contract with any club (even a dance club). There is no transfer fee because the contract remaining is less than 6 months.

GoldanoGraham

Not convinced he won’t end up staying…..he could possibly force his way into Ralf’s team yet - he has the pressing ability that is needed and he was great at West Ham last season - if he didn’t think he could do something then surely he would at least try and force out a loan for the 2nd half of the season to put himself in the shop window for the best bargaining ability?

It would be really daft to just sit on his contract to termination not playing in a World Cup year?

Member 101269

Are there actual quotes for this?

Or is it just media speculation?

Not playing him for almost the entire calendar year of 2020 and then loaning him out for the first half of 2021. All the while assembling a forward line of Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, Cavani and Ronaldo should have surely made him realize he wasn't going to play much at United.
That is why I'm not buying the "competing for a place" malarkey.

Needham

He's like Delle allington, he's made his cake, got the life changing dough, not care bout football, just interested in lionising his trainers. Make it hard for him to leave.

stevoc

That is why I'm not buying the "competing for a place" malarkey.
Yeah there's absolutely no way he really thought he could get ahead of those 8 players, so for me if he stayed he didn't stay thinking he would play regularly.

And I still don't know where all these supposed promises of playing time originated from. Keep asking but no one seems to have quotes from anyone.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah there's absolutely no way he really thought he could get ahead of those 8 players, so for me if he stayed he didn't stay thinking he would play regularly.

And I still don't know where all these supposed promises of playing time originated from. Keep asking but no one seems to have quotes from anyone.
If Lingard was promised all of this imaginary game time, which of our forwards didn't get promised any because it didn't take a genius to see that the numbers (minutes) wouldn't add up. People are gullible for believing such press.

stevoc

If Lingard was promised all of this imaginary game time, which of our forwards didn't get promised any because it didn't take a genius to see that the numbers (minutes) wouldn't add up. People are gullible for believing such press.
I don't even know if it was in the press or an entirely Caf created narrative.

stoinz

I don't even know if it was in the press or an entirely Caf created narrative.
To be fair we won't know what Lingard actually wants. Ole blocked the transfer. Can easily google David Moyes and Lingard to find the actual article. Moyes wanted to sign Lingard (we don't know if Lingard actually wanted to move) but Ole blocked it and made it clear that he wants Lingard to stay.

From Moyes:
"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."

Think is fair to say Ole also made his stance similarly to Lingard.

stevoc

To be fair we won't know what Lingard actually wants. Ole blocked the transfer. Can easily google David Moyes and Lingard to find the actual article. Moyes wanted to sign Lingard (we don't know if Lingard actually wanted to move) but Ole blocked it and made it clear that he wants Lingard to stay.

From Moyes:
"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."

I don't think either of those are a given at all and to add to that I would take anything Moyes was told with a massive pinch of salt. If you are trying to sell a player and want a decent price for him would you say ''Yeah we're desperate to sell him but would you mind paying our inflated valuation for him?''.

There were also quite a number of reports that Lingard himself made it clear to everyone he didn't fancy the move at all.

West Ham United did not make a late push for Jesse Lingard in the transfer window after the player made it clear to the club that he did not want to return to the London Stadium, 90min can reveal.

Lingard spent the second half of last season on loan with the Hammers, and he impressed hugely with nine goals in 16 games.

It was expected that West Ham would try and take him back for this campaign, either on a permanent deal or on another loan, but their plans altered following Lingard's decision - which he communicated to joint chairman David Sullivan personally. The club did make an approach but changed their plans after learning the deal wouldn't be happening.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The theory of Ole was blocking the move doesn't make sense. Ole didn't know how to use him for fecking years. What changed even after his excellent loan at West Ham?? Lingard knew that, and Ole knew that. Common sense, guys.

Dve

If that was true he would've signed the new contract presented to him.
And I think he´s waiting to see if he´s getting into the team first. If not, he won´t sign, but if he does, there is no reason for him not to.

Dve

The theory of Ole was blocking the move doesn't make sense. Ole didn't know how to use him for fecking years. What changed even after his excellent loan at West Ham?? Lingard knew that, and Ole knew that. Common sense, guys.
My understanding is that Ole was clear about he wanted Lingard to stay, but yes, I agree, why would be block a fridge player from leaving with one year left of his contract, and with all the attacking options in the squad.

Member 101269

From Moyes:

Easy to blame Ole rather than say we've no money or for Ole to back up the claim

HailtotheKing

My understanding is that Ole was clear about he wanted Lingard to stay, but yes, I agree, why would be block a fridge player from leaving with one year left of his contract, and with all the attacking options in the squad.
Because Ole preferred to keep everyone just in case. Then he played the same 13 players week in, week out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You may be right. It doesn't make sense but stranger things happen to this Club.