Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

:lol::lol:
Gary Neville is generally very favourable to academy graduates, so for him to be so cold to Jesse surprises me somewhat.

It's less surprising if we believe Lingard is the dressing room leaker that Neville was halfway referring to a few months back but was reluctant to name.

Heinzesight

Agree with Neville. Also, what sort of send off would he expect? It’s a Partidge shoulder shrug from most of us. Does he think he’s a club legend? Did he want fireworks?

Jessparagus…absolute tit.

RedDevilQuebecois

:lol::lol:
CLOTHESLINE FROM HELL!!!

Seriously, he's absolutely right. When you're a squad player, 1) there is a reason why you are one, and 2) there is a good attitude expected from a squad player. Self-entitled people like Lingard have no business demanding anything from the club.

vlad93

Honestly we should have sold him for 15 million to West ham last season and his level might have dropped off. Who knows. Had we sold him West ham would be ahead of us in the PL and Europa. So it was correct we kept him but also incorrect. We could have sold him to Spain instead

clarkydaz

Gary Neville is generally very favourable to academy graduates, so for him to be so cold to Jesse surprises me somewhat.

It's less surprising if we believe Lingard is the dressing room leaker that Neville was halfway referring to a few months back but was reluctant to name.
Hopefully Rashy is next

Foxbatt

I don't know why you guys are pretending that managers have zero say about player purchases. It's like you imagine someone else is doing all the buying and selling and the manager cannot decide if he wants to keep the player.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/man-united-transfers-jesse-lingard-21597631

Moyes clearly approached Ole about a bid but was turned down by him. But sure, pretend that these 2 dudes are just having fantasy talks where Moyes is imagining that he could sign Lingard and pray that one day his club will answer his hopes and prayers and make a bid while Ole is dreaming that he can keep the players he wants.

Oh and Lingard will have a likely deal struck if he submitted a formal request (What does that even mean? Is going to the manager and club asking for a transfer and going to the media demanding a transfer not official enough?), it's his own fault for not wanting out despite the fact he kept demanding out but the club kept giving him new contracts that he had to turn down.

Copium of the purest grade. You guys are so willing to throw out all logic just so your minds can deal with the reality of the situation, which is that we bungled on dealing with Lingard massively. Is that so hard to accept without having to perform mental gymnastics? We have bungled just about everything else.
You seem to have no clue as how transfers work. Moyes knows it very well that it's not the Manager's remit. On the other side, Moyes also has no authority to buy a player.
He would strongly recommend and it's up to the Board of West Ham to buy and make an official offer to United.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Exactly. Ruud Van Nistelrooy didn't even get a send off. I think stuff like this adds to fan suspicions that some of our players over the last few years have acted like entitled crybabies. I mean the guy was trying to actively leave the club for 6 months (perfectly entitled to do btw) and is now apparently upset that he didn't get a goodbye :rolleyes:
Not to mention actual legends like Jaap Stam and Roy Fecking Keane

Gandalf

I don't know why you guys are pretending that managers have zero say about player purchases. It's like you imagine someone else is doing all the buying and selling and the manager cannot decide if he wants to keep the player.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/man-united-transfers-jesse-lingard-21597631

Moyes clearly approached Ole about a bid but was turned down by him. But sure, pretend that these 2 dudes are just having fantasy talks where Moyes is imagining that he could sign Lingard and pray that one day his club will answer his hopes and prayers and make a bid while Ole is dreaming that he can keep the players he wants.

Oh and Lingard will have a likely deal struck if he submitted a formal request (What does that even mean? Is going to the manager and club asking for a transfer and going to the media demanding a transfer not official enough?), it's his own fault for not wanting out despite the fact he kept demanding out but the club kept giving him new contracts that he had to turn down.

Copium of the purest grade. You guys are so willing to throw out all logic just so your minds can deal with the reality of the situation, which is that we bungled on dealing with Lingard massively. Is that so hard to accept without having to perform mental gymnastics? We have bungled just about everything else.
Ok you win. Ole was the transfer mastermind at Manchester United. It is obvious when you think about it, he wanted Koulibaly and bought Maguire, he wanted Rice and bought Van de Beek, he wanted to keep Dan James so sold him to Leeds. I mean clearly the man in charge of transfers would buy people he was not targeting and sell people he didn't want sold. You seem to think a Moyes quote about a chat he had with Ole is an expose of how major clubs do their transfer business despite the mountain of evidence that it clearly is not. I refuse to believe, despite the evidence, that you are that dumb so I can only reiterate that you are a WUM or maybe Jesse's brother.

Regarding the bolded. Show me one shred of evidence that Jesse demanded to get out last summer, you can't because it does not exist. He did want the big cash loan deal with Newcastle sure but even then he would not ask for a transfer because he only wanted a loan and he did not want to give up the loyalty bonus in his United contract. Classless, clueless, beans, beans fecking beans.

Ted Lasso

Surprised this thread is still going. Without the FA Cup final winning goal he's as memorable as Darren Gibson or Chris Eagles.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I noticed the same. Even his tone on Rashford has changed a lot. Either Neville has just reached a point where he cannot continue to defend these players, or he’s heard some stuff about these guys in the dressing room doing the leaks.

RonaldoVII

I noticed the same. Even his tone on Rashford has changed a lot. Either Neville has just reached a point where he cannot continue to defend these players, or he’s heard some stuff about these guys in the dressing room doing the leaks.
I think he's said before he knows where the leaks are from or knows some things but can't say. This could be a sign of that.

Neville's mates with Andy Mitten who's been calling out Rashford and Lingard all season in UWS for leaking to the press and generally being way too mutally accquainted with some members of the press.

There was also this, where Neville posted drip/leak emojis when the Rashford brief dropped after the Liverpool game.

So yeah, I think he's well aware. As you say the big shift in attitude alone is telling compared to what he used to be like with them.

Stig

Lingard is irrelevant as a player. He's had 22 years at the club and hasn't shown anything but the absolute briefest slivers of talent during that time. He jogs around a lot. That's it. He doesn't tackle, he doesn't cross, he doesn't assist, he doesn't score. He should have been on £200 a week for the shite he's served up whilst playing for Manchester United. We should have snapped West Ham's bloody arms off when they wanted to buy him. Don't even wait for a figure or a negotiation, just say yes when they said they wanted him. He is typical of how this football club has been run in recent times: rewarding mediocrity, handing out contract extensions so that we don't 'lose value' if we decide to sell, then we don't decide to sell, we rarely play the player after that, and then we let them run their contract down and leave on a free anyway!
Sounds like a bit of a rant but actually everything you say is spot on and reasonable.

MalaysianRed7

Irrelevant question but if you were a match going fan, or if you are actually going to the AMEX tomorrow, would you/are you going to boo him if he comes on? I don’t think it’s possible to disrespect the club more than he has this season. He’s up there with Pogba.

Boyhood United fan from Manchester. Haha. This guy wouldn’t know anything about Man United if it slapped him in the arse.

crossy1686

career ending
He’ll probably get a bit of a run out in one of the last games, he’ll probably get a clap but no one’s going to beg him to stay. For someone who’s been at the club 22 years and doesn’t have a song he’s misjudged massively how well thought of he is

Tiber

All this fuss for a player who should have left the club 4 managers ago

TheReligion

Abusive
Irrelevant question but if you were a match going fan, or if you are actually going to the AMEX tomorrow, would you/are you going to boo him if he comes on? I don’t think it’s possible to disrespect the club more than he has this season. He’s up there with Pogba.

Boyhood United fan from Manchester. Haha. This guy wouldn’t know anything about Man United if it slapped him in the arse.
He’s not from Manchester.

I keep hearing the local lad thing but he’s not a Manc neither is Greenwood.

Piabetic

Ok you win. Ole was the transfer mastermind at Manchester United. It is obvious when you think about it, he wanted Koulibaly and bought Maguire, he wanted Rice and bought Van de Beek, he wanted to keep Dan James so sold him to Leeds. I mean clearly the man in charge of transfers would buy people he was not targeting and sell people he didn't want sold. You seem to think a Moyes quote about a chat he had with Ole is an expose of how major clubs do their transfer business despite the mountain of evidence that it clearly is not. I refuse to believe, despite the evidence, that you are that dumb so I can only reiterate that you are a WUM or maybe Jesse's brother.

Regarding the bolded. Show me one shred of evidence that Jesse demanded to get out last summer, you can't because it does not exist. He did want the big cash loan deal with Newcastle sure but even then he would not ask for a transfer because he only wanted a loan and he did not want to give up the loyalty bonus in his United contract. Classless, clueless, beans, beans fecking beans.
Where are you getting some of this from? I don't believe for one second that Ole wanted Koulibaly instead of Maguire, I think Maguire was who he wanted and he got him. I don't believe Rice was a serious consideration at the point when they bought Van De Beek, I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that are that point he wanted Grealish and was delivered VDB instead. Would Grealish have featured more for United than for City had Ole got what he wanted? I'm not so sure, I think he would have been used as a general sub across the forward line. Dan James, he may have wanted to keep but probably mostly because he was recommended by Giggs and that makes him club royalty by default.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe his depression was also a bunch of shit so he got people's sympathy and attention. IF it's true, then it's a self made depression because it seems like his biggest problem is that he thinks he could do better when the fact is he's not good enough. Westham is his level, accept it and move on. You can still make lots of money and have a good career there. Jesus it's not the end of the world. Why so bitter?

Cloud7

Thank you Neville for talking some sense among the ridiculous hysteria being vomited by parts of our fanbase and the media

redshaw

He's from Warrington which is just another place in the north west of England and not associated with Manchester or considered local, it's a long drive away with huge patches of bare land in-between. Local to Manchester would be surrounding areas of greater Manchester like Stockport, Oldham, Rochdale, Ashton, Bury etc. Gary Neville is local as he's from Bury. Scholes is local as he's from Oldham. Warrington is this completely separate area like Chorley or Macclesfield etc.

Josep Dowling

Surprised this thread is still going. Without the FA Cup final winning goal he's as memorable as Darren Gibson or Chris Eagles.
Exactly. Yet there is story after story about this in the media. It’s clear Lingard has been leaking stories to the press over the last year and now they are backing him.

vlad93

Running a business is hard work and Jesse also has training. Mixed in with personal life. His focus is no longer football but to transition after his career in football is over. Thats why he pulled a few sickie s here and there

JohnnyKills

He’s not from Manchester.

I keep hearing the local lad thing but he’s not a Manc neither is Greenwood.
He's from Warrington which is round the corner. Only about 15 miles from OT.

I'm from Warrington myself and it's close enough that you'd say you were from Manchester if you met someone from another country who didn't know the north-west.

Greenwood is a different case though, he's from Bradford I think.

JohnnyKills

He's from Warrington which is just another place in the north west of England and not associated with Manchester or considered local, it's a long drive away with huge patches of bare land in-between. Local to Manchester would be surrounding areas of greater Manchester like Stockport, Oldham, Rochdale, Ashton, Bury etc. Gary Neville is local as he's from Bury. Scholes is local as he's from Oldham. Warrington is this completely separate area like Chorley or Macclesfield etc.
It's not mate.

Warrington is as close to Old Trafford as Oldham is. Google it if you don't believe me.

But anyway, getting back to the point: it's a shame it's ending this way for Lingard but the send-off idea is a complete nonsense isn't it.

Last edited:

stw2022

Breeding a group of players through the youth team right up to become first team regulars is a fantastic ambition but sometimes I think we’re too obsessed with the idea rather than the reality.

‘Busy Babes’, ‘Class of 92’. It’s what people throw back to in order to argue that we must give a player whose come through the system chance after chance after chance after chance - even if demonstrably unworthy. In turn I think that’s led to these players getting a false, overinflated sense of their own value to the club. You’d never get the arrogance of someone like Lingard who has been lucky to sit on the bench for much of his career here, because he didn’t get a ‘send off’.

Standards for young players we bring through should be higher both in terms of their attitudes on and off the pitch.

Seeing players that come through our ranks walk around the pitch and leak to the press thinking they’re the next Ronaldo because of a purple patch makes me sick

haru krentz

If Gary knew but he keep silent about it then he's just as disgraceful as Scholesy, both should've reprimended Lingard instead of taking benefit from it.

All this fuss for a player who should have left the club 4 managers ago
Yeah It used to be about Veron, Beckham, Keane, van Nistelrooy... now we are discussing about player who once spent a year without scoring or assisting.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Maybe his depression was also a bunch of shit so he got people's sympathy and attention. IF it's true, then it's a self made depression because it seems like his biggest problem is that he thinks he could do better when the fact is he's not good enough. Westham is his level, accept it and move on. You can still make lots of money and have a good career there. Jesus it's not the end of the world. Why so bitter?
He shove been moved on after youth team level. But due to falling standards he's been offered 1st team contracts.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Breeding a group of players through the youth team right up to become first team regulars is a fantastic ambition but sometimes I think we’re too obsessed with the idea rather than the reality.

‘Busy Babes’, ‘Class of 92’. It’s what people throw back to in order to argue that we must give a player whose come through the system chance after chance after chance after chance - even if demonstrably unworthy. In turn I think that’s led to these players getting a false, overinflated sense of their own value to the club. You’d never get the arrogance of someone like Lingard who has been lucky to sit on the bench for much of his career here, because he didn’t get a ‘send off’.

Standards for young players we bring through should be higher both in terms of their attitudes on and off the pitch.

Seeing players that come through our ranks walk around the pitch and leak to the press thinking they’re the next Ronaldo because of a purple patch makes me sick
That's where Eric Harrison was so good. Fergie to obvious

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
If Gary knew but he keep silent about it then he's just as disgraceful as Scholesy, both should've reprimended Lingard instead of taking benefit from it.

Yeah It used to be about Veron, Beckham, Keane, van Nistelrooy... now we are discussing about player who once spent a year without scoring or assisting.
Reprimanded him? What on earth are you talking about? Neville can’t do shite, he’s no longer part of the club. Have a go at him yes but he can’t reprimand him!

Neville never too any benefit from it, just hinted he knew where the leaks were/are coming from. If anything he showed more dressing room respect than fecking Scholes. At least Neville knew when to shut the feck up. Scholes just blurted it out on live Tv! Players/ex players talk all the time, you don’t go spreading that shite about.