Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He can't just stay, though - if ETH wants to give him a go, the club will have to offer him a new contract.
He's not in the same category as - say - Rashford in that regard.
The club would see the re-signing of Jesse as a financial saving (why spend £50M on another attacking midfielder, when you can re-sign Jesse for free.
And if they do this, they'll market his re-signing as a huge coup. It's what our club do. We sign the wrong players but market it to get likes and media coverage and fans fall for it every single time.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The club would see the re-signing of Jesse as a financial saving (why spend £50M on another attacking midfielder, when you can re-sign Jesse for free.
And if they do this, they'll market his re-signing as a huge coup. It's what our club do. We sign the wrong players but market it to get likes and media coverage and fans fall for it every single time.
Well, that's what we've done in the past (to various degrees).

But with regard to the part in bold - nobody will fall for that.

Maybe if it had happened a couple of months ago - yes. But in the scenario imagined above (as in, he comes crawling back at the end of window to sign a new deal), no: nobody's that stupid, they can't possibly sell that as a coup.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The cnuts probably needing the cash after pumping it all into his failing “JLingz” brand. Who knows how much he’s flushed down the toilet on that shit.
:lol: Even though it's been mentioned on here many times, it never actually dawned on me that it's a genuine clothing brand. Who convinced him that was a good idea?! Hope he got a bridge thrown in as part of the package.

kopviolator

A discussion between an ex player and current journalist and an existing player who has probably met Scholes many a time? Hardly a clear link!!

'I had a quick chat with Jesse the other day and I am sure he won't mind me saying this'....hardly points to someone who is leaking stuff left right and centre does it?!

Theres a good chance this quick chat happened in the corridors of OT whilst Scholes was on punditry duty!
Its airing dirty laundry in the open is what this is. And it's not even secretive. "Hey Scholesy, situation here is a mess - now go and report about it as you like. You can even quote me."
So okay, let's put it aside that Jesse has long lasting ties with the old gang and however unlikely, let's imagine he keeps all other cards to his chest. If you were the manager an you'd witness a scenario where one from the group would openly talk down the squad. What would you do?

Jesse is just a small part of the problem at OT but he IS a problem.

Lentwood

I'm far from a huge Lingard fan but I do genuinely believe he is a more useful/better Premier League player than DvdB.

If I were taking over, I'd convince Jesse he was part of the plan moving forward, re-sign him, take the £30m+ for DvdB and put it towards two new CMs and a CF

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Its airing dirty laundry in the open is what this is. And it's not even secretive. "Hey Scholesy, situation here is a mess - now go and report about it as you like. You can even quote me."
So okay, let's put it aside that Jesse has long lasting ties with the old gang and however unlikely, let's imagine he keeps all other cards to his chest. If you were the manager an you'd witness a scenario where one from the group would openly talk down the squad. What would you do?

Jesse is just a small part of the problem at OT but he IS a problem.
Do we know he told Scholes that he could say it? How do we know Scholes is not just chatting crap and Lingard merely stated that the dressing room morale is poor?
I get the impression that people just don't like Lingard and so will happily blame anything upon him.

Don't get me wrong, I feel Lingard should be moved on, but to claim he is a problem is a bit harsh and isn't really based around any tangible evidence other than personal feelings.

Gazautd18

I'm far from a huge Lingard fan but I do genuinely believe he is a more useful/better Premier League player than DvdB.

If I were taking over, I'd convince Jesse he was part of the plan moving forward, re-sign him, take the £30m+ for DvdB and put it towards two new CMs and a CF
£150,000 a week bruh..
£150,000..

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
No it never made money and yes he funded it.

He lost £200k in the first year. Presumably sunk all of that in stock which obviously didn't sell. Don't know how much more he's spent or whether he gets any sales at all. I suspect his site is still just selling the initial stock he bought, probably all sat in a warehouse somewhere. His accounts from 6 months ago say it's about £260k in the red.

Now he's busy sinking his money into crap esports teams on crap games.
Problem is I think he's too arrogant to seek any sort f business advice from people who have created genuine brands before either.

I remember a story about the guy who started the Hera (Hera London) brand a few years ago, he was working on jeans whilst I'm his day job at Vodafone, had £20k and gave most of that to some guy from Georie Shore (when it was big) to wear them on the show etc - needless to say he made it big, think some Hera hoodies go for about £150 now.

Putting £260k straight into a clothing line without any sort of pre launch marketing or whatever is seriously arrogant, (surprise surprise) he most likely assumed he had millions of buyers (United fans) waiting to snatch a cheap £5 hoodie from China with a tacky 50p JLINGZ sticker plastered over it for £50 without any actual research going into it.

On another point, does he even wear the shit himself day to day? I mean, if you want to create a business with your name being the main feature, and the whole marketing push being you and nothing else, wouldn't you maybe, like, wear the shit yourself rather than Balenciaga and Gucci?

He's just another arrogant tool whi thinks just because he's part of the 0.012% who made it as a footballer, he could just turn his hand at anything and make it earn him millions - I reckon he will turn up bankrupt by the time he's 40 and wonder why things didn't turn out so well after "trying" loads of different ventures.

Truth is, he's lucky he grew up in England and just happened to be playing for United at the right time (Uniteds lowest ebb in decades).

Loon

:lol:

I'd ship them both out and make a fresh search.

crossy1686

career ending
In no universe is he worth anywhere close to 150k a week. He should never have been on more than 40k at Utd and that would have been generous.
Martial: £250k, Rashford: £200k, Pogba: £250k.

Lingard signed his deal before they got their renewals. Him running his contract down was an attempt to bend the club over a barrel and get himself at least parity with his mates. Problem for him is that he hasn't played any football and when he has he's been shit, so hardly a strong position to negotiate from.

GoldanoGraham

Reckon he returned from West Ham last year as billy big bollocks after all that smoke was blown up his arse after a few good months…..didn’t get into Ole’s team and then got very bitter and twisted after broken promises.

That is the clubs fault just as much as his…..should have sold him last summer when his stock was high as he was never going to be a regular starter.

Reckon our greedy accountants (Ed and the Judge) thought that they could get him to sign an extension and then his asset value would have increased on the balance sheet.

Luckily, Ed, the Judge and Jlingz are all going/gone.

End of chapter, end of book. Finished.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s really deluded isn’t he? Who the feck wants to smell like him?
Can you imagine any opposition fans wanting to buy his shit? United fans don't want it so who's his demographic? He's got an E-sports team now that play fortnite so I bet he's pitching it to kids who play that game

kopviolator

Do we know he told Scholes that he could say it? How do we know Scholes is not just chatting crap and Lingard merely stated that the dressing room morale is poor?
I get the impression that people just don't like Lingard and so will happily blame anything upon him.

Don't get me wrong, I feel Lingard should be moved on, but to claim he is a problem is a bit harsh and isn't really based around any tangible evidence other than personal feelings.
I think we can safely assume he did not tell Scholes he could say it as Scholes takes the liberty himself, saying "I'm sure he wont mind..." But when you go outside the ranks with something like this to a mate, never mind a well connected pundit tied into the footballing comunity then you can bet your ass it finds its way out and that's a leak. And no proper manager will accept this.

It's not that I don't like Lingard. I don't know him. I'm sure he's a fun guy. I dont like his silly antics, his branding and now it seems his entitlement. I prefer that players who are getting paid fortunes take their position serously and I don't think he does that - who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I think he's the architect of his own downfall at this club and he should have been moved out 2-4 years ago.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think we can safely assume he did not tell Scholes he could say it as Scholes takes the liberty himself, saying "I'm sure he wont mind..." But when you go outside the ranks with something like this to a mate, never mind a well connected pundit tied into the footballing comunity then you can bet your ass it finds its way out and that's a leak. And no proper manager will accept this.

It's not that I don't like Lingard. I don't know him. I'm sure he's a fun guy. I dont like his silly antics, his branding and now it seems his entitlement. I prefer that players who are getting paid fortunes take their position serously and I don't think he does that - who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I think he's the architect of his own downfall at this club and he should have been moved out 2-4 years ago.
Pretty clear he's chosen greed, we've over paid him (and pretty much everyone else on the squad) for years and he's been happy to not play and not develop.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Problem is I think he's too arrogant to seek any sort f business advice from people who have created genuine brands before either.

Putting £260k straight into a clothing line without any sort of pre launch marketing or whatever is seriously arrogant, (surprise surprise) he most likely assumed he had millions of buyers (United fans) waiting to snatch a cheap £5 hoodie from China with a tacky 50p JLINGZ sticker plastered over it for £50 without any actual research going into it.

On another point, does he even wear the shit himself day to day? I mean, if you want to create a business with your name being the main feature, and the whole marketing push being you and nothing else, wouldn't you maybe, like, wear the shit yourself rather than Balenciaga and Gucci?

He's just another arrogant tool whi thinks just because he's part of the 0.012% who made it as a footballer, he could just turn his hand at anything and make it earn him millions - I reckon he will turn up bankrupt by the time he's 40 and wonder why things didn't turn out so well after "trying" loads of different ventures.

Truth is, he's lucky he grew up in England and just happened to be playing for United at the right time (Uniteds lowest ebb in decades).

The thing is though that 260K is maybe 2-3 weeks wages for a lad like Jesse. Probably some agent came to him with an investment opportunity and he just said 'yeah, lets give that a lash'. I've known lads that have blown more than 2 weeks wages on the horses so this is probably slightly more sensible than that in fairness.

Maticmaker

He can't just stay, though - if ETH wants to give him a go, the club will have to offer him a new contract.
Yes, that's what ETH will do.... offer him a twelve month complimentary contract, rolled out month by month, or a 'pay-as-you-play' similarly short term contract. A sort of 'footballer zero-hours' contract for short term period!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The thing is though that 260K is maybe 2-3 weeks wages for a lad like Jesse. Probably some agent came to him with an investment opportunity and he just said 'yeah, lets give that a lash'. I've known lads that have blown more than 2 weeks wages on the horses so this is probably slightly more sensible than that in fairness.
Well yeah, gamblers are not a rare thing, and I doubt any agent came to him with this, and financial advisor or investment manager would probably advise against a clothing brand with half your name and ending with a 'z' - it's pure ego, and dropping 260k on an ego trip scream financial ruin at some point.

Your friends will have jobs until they die and will probably earn the same amount for the next 40 years while Lingard will probably be used to spending 50k a week on stupid shit until the day he retires at 35, that 50k a week will make his retirement fund disappear sooner rather than later and he'll be in for a shock when his "friends" stop talking to him when he stops flashing his cash.

reelworld

1, I understand Jesse's point of view.
For us, we'd have saved on wages.

2, Ralf R was very clear to the board - he wanted Jesse gone. The board (as is usual for them), called the shots and kept him and Jesse got virtually no game time for the last half of the season.

The reason why I think ETH will fail (like better managers have, before him), is that the board will not help him succeed. Essentially our business people at the top will be making decisions (just as they have since Fergie left), which will define what happens on the pitch. ETH will ask for certain players to be purchased, but the board will decide who gets purchased. Even Ralf R, in his 6 months stint with us, has experienced this.

LVG advised ETH to stay away from MUFC. He said that we are a business....not a football club. ETH's job will be to make money, not win games.

Getting 4th place will continue to be our target. For me, getting 4th place is absolute failure!
ETH would not come if the board decide this.
United didn't want to bought players fo Rangnick because he's an interim

Idxomer

Yes, that's what ETH will do.... offer him a twelve month complimentary contract, rolled out month by month, or a 'pay-as-you-play' similarly short term contract. A sort of 'footballer zero-hours' contract for short term period!
Not sure if you're serious but this scenario is never going to happen.

Castia

When he doesn’t get a game ahead of Mata or a send off at OT I don’t need to know more it’s obvious he’s a toxic little fecker.

Cant wait till he joins his mate Pogba and fecks off.

Roane

Not saying this is 100% right but from what I understand football players (and other rich folk too) don't always delve into business to make huge amounts of money. In the case of charity they don't set up charities because they are lovely people who want to do their bit.

Not being an accountant etc I can't explain the intricacies but it's usually a tax issue. It was explained to me once but I can't remember the detail. It was Blackpool pleasure beach that was the example uses for me. They had other places which the let run down and it was tax issue.

I was involved with the Beckham charity for disabled kids and that was a tax issue. When he signed for RM it closed down overnight.

In my words and not accurate. If you earn 150k a week then your monthly tax is quite big. Let's say tax was 20k of that.

So you set up a charity or business and use relatives to run it. Paying them wages of 20k. Thats basically your tax returned via family etc.

At the end of the month/year your tax is less if they aren't exactly bringing in the money. Yet your family/friends are getting paid.

I know it's not that simple before anyone says. As I said I'm no accountant. But hopefully you get the gist. If JLingz is doing that then he isn't exactly crying about it.

OrcaFat

I agree he is better than VDB but it doesn’t say much. It’s still possible VDB will improve whereas Lingard has probably peaked and he just won’t be able to get into the team.

AndySmith1990

Baffling. Lingard is clearly a problem in the dressing room and has a poor attitude, not to mention him posting pics of him in a West ham kit, and his brother ranting about the state of our club. Yet you'd beg him to stay simply because he's better than Donny van Beek. Thank god football fans have no control of the club is all I can say

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's what we should do, actually.

Or something along those lines.

Similarly, we shouldn't offer Rashford any kind of improved contract. If he wants to renew, we should offer him a short-term extension of his current one (one more year) and tell him that he'll get more money if and only if he proves himself on the pitch.