Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Fridge chutney

I've tried his cologne, it wasn't bad.

Lingard can be a useful option for us so if Ten Hag wants to sign him, i would support that.

Ibi Dreams

Lingard can be a useful option for us so if Ten Hag wants to sign him, i would support that.
I've said that kind of thing in the past, but really

Look at City's bench. It's not just "players who could be useful" or "players who can do a job". It's full of quality players. Lingard is a decent player but he seems to need confidence and also a run of games to play to his full potential. He's not gonna get that here

George The Best

Yeah, reality check needed here. We are streets behind City and Liverpool. We can’t fix that in one summer window. We need 4 or 5 signings to make any improvement and we may need to persuade a few out-goings to stay as squad players to have a tilt at top 4.

Tyrion

He isn't some fecking club legend. Just pack your bags and leave with some dignity Jesse, and stop getting your entourage and media buddies to kick up a stink.
Exactly. The only player we currently have who could complain about that of it happened to them is DDG.

hobbers

Yes, that's what ETH will do.... offer him a twelve month complimentary contract, rolled out month by month, or a 'pay-as-you-play' similarly short term contract. A sort of 'footballer zero-hours' contract for short term period!
These contracts people are always conjuring up for duds like Lingard or crocks like Jones literally never happen.

Lingard is desperate for his last payday, like all mediocre plodders are when they get to 29. He knows he's shit and that this is the last chance he'll ever get to blag his way into a club for a big signing on fee and (relative for his ability) disgustingly high wages.

In four years time his earning potential will be negative to the tune of whatever he's currently wasting on his brand ventures.

wolvored

Slick. The perfect hoodie for a toddler with no self awareness, hope they do kids sizes.
I spend a bit of time around salford and town centre average once every 2-3 weeks due to family and have never seen anyone with his garb on. I wonder who buys it?

Lentwood

Baffling. Lingard is clearly a problem in the dressing room and has a poor attitude, not to mention him posting pics of him in a West ham kit, and his brother ranting about the state of our club. Yet you'd beg him to stay simply because he's better than Donny van Beek. Thank god football fans have no control of the club is all I can say
Nobody mentioned begging...I'd just tell him he would get games....which he would....because he's actually a useful player.

It's easy to be critical of players but I actually think some have a right to be angry. Clearly, Solskjaer made promises to the likes of Henderson, Bailly, Lingard and DvdB which he just didn't keep. That's not brilliant man-management and it's not really fair on those lads.

You're going to have to put certain perceptions of the players to one side next season. We have to get behind whichever team/squad ETH decides is the one to take us forward.

Daengophile

Lingard can leave on a wheelbarrow as far as I'm concerned

No respect for those who speak out of turn and undermine the club's authority

stevoc

Reckon he returned from West Ham last year as billy big bollocks after all that smoke was blown up his arse after a few good months…..didn’t get into Ole’s team and then got very bitter and twisted after broken promises.

That is the clubs fault just as much as his…..should have sold him last summer when his stock was high as he was never going to be a regular starter.

Reckon our greedy accountants (Ed and the Judge) thought that they could get him to sign an extension and then his asset value would have increased on the balance sheet.

Luckily, Ed, the Judge and Jlingz are all going/gone.

End of chapter, end of book. Finished.
Doubt he was promised anything and in the unlikely event he was he should have realized he wasn't getting into this team with the competition in his places. If he was that desperate to leave he could have pushed hard for a move in early January he didn't which says it all. Running his contract down has been the goal for a while it seems.

Djemba-Djemba

Nobody mentioned begging...I'd just tell him he would get games....which he would....because he's actually a useful player.

It's easy to be critical of players but I actually think some have a right to be angry. Clearly, Solskjaer made promises to the likes of Henderson, Bailly, Lingard and DvdB which he just didn't keep. That's not brilliant man-management and it's not really fair on those lads.

You're going to have to put certain perceptions of the players to one side next season. We have to get behind whichever team/squad ETH decides is the one to take us forward.
He's not though.

He broke into the first team squad in 2015, he's played about 230 games for Utd. How many more chances does he need?

We have more than enough evidence he's not good enough for Utd, he's contributed incredibly little to Utd since his purple patch ended 4 years ago. He's scored I believe 3 league goals for Utd since 2018.

He's also clearly been leaking stuff to the press. So you have a player who isn't good enough anyway that is also a negative presence in the dressing room. It would be utter fecking madness to give him a new contract.

Last edited:

Von Mistelroum

Apparently Newcastle have said his demands are too high. At this rate he'll have to go to Barcelona or whichever other huge clubs it was claimed were after him.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't really know what people do during the game. "Lingard is a useful player" :lol:

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'd rather swim in a pond of geese piss than use any of lingards apparel.

Maticmaker

These contracts people are always conjuring up for duds like Lingard or crocks like Jones literally never happen.
Yes they do, Lingard and Jones are good examples of 'hanging on'. Jones has survived four (five if you include SAF) managers and Lingard four, Mata also gone through four managers. There must be something about these players that we (fans) don't see, but the managers do. Leaving aside SAF, Moyes, LvG, Jose and Ole have all kept faith with these players for one reason or another, offered new contracts in a lot of cases, or extended existing ones.
ETH is likely to be the same, he will want to see what can be salvage from the motley crew he has inherited. If your predecessors have kept faith with these players then he will want to do the same, until he can judge for himself.

These short term/zero hours type contracts may well fit the bill.

That's what we should do, actually.
It would not surprise me in the least

Not sure if you're serious but this scenario is never going to happen.
I wouldn't bet against it!
ETH cannot turf everyone out, all at once and yes those out of contract now, make the best option to offer short term contracts, because they are the 'low hanging fruit'. However ETH may want to get rid of some of those still 'in contract' and we shall get a better idea of his overall management ability if he can start to dislodge a few of these, in his first season.

hobbers

Yes they do, Lingard and Jones are good examples of 'hanging on'. Jones has survived four (five if you include SAF) managers and Lingard four, Mata also gone through four managers. There must be something about these players that we (fans) don't see, but the managers do. Leaving aside SAF, Moyes, LvG, Jose and Ole have all kept faith with these players for one reason or another, offered new contracts in a lot of cases, or extended existing ones.
ETH is likely to be the same, he will want to see what can be salvage from the motley crew he has inherited. If your predecessors have kept faith with these players then he will want to do the same, until he can judge for himself.

These short term/zero hours type contracts may well fit the bill.
No. They never happen. Not an agent in the world who would let their client sign a "pay as you play" sort of deal. It's financial suicide. They dont exist in reality, except for people who play semi-pro football but it isn't their main job.

And there's no chance ETH is stupid enough to want to keep hangers-on like Jones or Lingard here. They haven't been kept on because there's 'something about them'. They were kept on because Ole and Matt Judge were clueless and incompetent.

Maticmaker

They were kept on because Ole and Matt Judge were clueless and incompetent.
What about Moyes, LvG, Jose, they all incompetent as well?

This idea that agents overrule their clients is a myth, the players do what they want to do at the end of the day, if Jones and Lingard really want to stay at United (as we are led to believe) and ETH offers them anything, that gives them that chance.... they will take it.

iHicksy

He could have all the talent in the world (he doesn't ). He doesn't have the attitude or mental fortitude to be a Manchester united player. End of discussion.

hobbers

What about Moyes, LvG, Jose, they all incompetent as well?

This idea that agents overrule their clients is a myth, the players do what they want to do at the end of the day, if Jones and Lingard really want to stay at United (as we are led to believe) and ETH offers them anything, that gives them that chance.... they will take it.
Weird question because clearly they were all incompetent. But not because they kept Jones and Lingard around, since both actually had a role at various points.

Lingard being a shit squad player at age 24 on 40k a week is obviously very different to Lingard being a worthless squad player at 29 demanding 150k a week. Jones being a regular centre back for Jose is obviously different to Jones who has barely kicked a football in the last four years.

Lingard doesnt want to stay at United in any case, he wants a signing on fee and big wages because otherwise he'll probably be bankrupt by his mid thirties.

Maticmaker

Weird question because clearly they were all incompetent. But not because they kept Jones and Lingard around, since both actually had a role at various points.

Lingard being a shit squad player at age 24 on 40k a week is obviously very different to Lingard being a worthless squad player at 29 demanding 150k a week. Jones being a regular centre back for Jose is obviously different to Jones who has barely kicked a football in the last four years.

Lingard doesnt want to stay at United in any case, he wants a signing on fee and big wages because otherwise he'll probably be bankrupt by his mid thirties.
You cannot be serious, yes, Moyes was out of his depth, LvG was something of a 'yesterdays man', and Jose was always the 'wrong fit' at United, but incompetent no, just look at the trophies won by LvG and Jose in particular... sorry this is a nonsense statement.

If Lingard doesn't want to stay then he will go...no ones going to twist his arm to stay.

crossy1686

career ending
You cannot be serious, yes, Moyes was out of his depth, LvG was something of a 'yesterdays man', and Jose was always the 'wrong fit' at United, but incompetent no, just look at the trophies won by LvG and Jose in particular... sorry this is a nonsense statement.

If Lingard doesn't want to stay then he will go...no ones going to twist his arm to stay.
He wants to stay at United, otherwise he would have left last summer, or kicked up a fuss about leaving. He was hoping he'd get a bumper £150k - £200k a week contract like his mates, seeing as United have handed them out for fun in the past and he's *underpaid compared to them. He stuck around to get game time to earn that new contract but hasn't been played, and now he's blaming the club for "broken promises" and is forced to leave on a free when he really doesn't want to. Greed will always bite you in the arse eventually.

Paul778

He's massively overpaid for his ability. He's a free agent and has had no form for us in years and put no effort in at all when given a chance.

He can say all you want about broken promises but ultimately it's up to the player to show enough in training and matches, forcing the manager to make a decision. Bust a gut in training and force the manager to pick you because you're form and effort are top notch.

Obviously we cannot see training, but based on his match day performances this season he has had a fair crack of the whip and shown very little. In fact i think he's been played more than most on the caf would say he's deserved.

Can the season end so he can leave and we can move on to hopefully harder working players?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Imagine you'd get hot in a hoodie dancing, maybe not for jesse though as he'd put feck all effort into it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
So he played with Ronaldo, Zlatan, Rooney etc and he mentions Noble as his mentor!!

Good thing Maguire did a captain thing with Jesse at last.

Good riddance

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a good player even if he isnt top 6 level.

Shame that we let these players leave on a free, it kind of shows how we dont really have any sort of plan up there at the top.

mikeyt

He's an average player that has been made to look better than average because of his energy levels when all around him were walking. He's clearly bitter that he's now been found out for his level and doesn't like it.

Players like him are just examples of our acceptance at mediocrity. Cannot wait for him to leave along with a few others.

OleGunnar20

He is a good player even if he isnt top 6 level.

Shame that we let these players leave on a free, it kind of shows how we dont really have any sort of plan up there at the top.
I couldn't disagree more personally. The likes of Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Tuanzebe et al need to be identified as not good enough and shipped out for a fee while they're still young. We hold onto them for literal years after their expiry date at the club, hence the shambles that is our squad.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I couldn't disagree more personally. The likes of Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Tuanzebe et al need to be identified as not good enough and shipped out for a fee while they're still young. We hold onto them for literal years after their expiry date at the club, hence the shambles that is our squad.

Thats what im saying too. A good player that we could have got 15 million from if it was planned right.

lsd

The Oracle
So he played with Ronaldo, Zlatan, Rooney etc and he mentions Noble as his mentor!!

Good thing Maguire did a captain thing with Jesse at last.

Good riddance

It really wasn't Maguire and Lingard fighting.

OleGunnar20

Thats what im saying too. A good player that we could have got 15 million from if it was planned right.
Oh for sure. We've leaned too much on the crutch of being historically 'Loaded' I think, and so haven't needed to maximise the value of these homegrown assets. That'll need to change majorly going forward if we're going to have a chance of competing with the Oil clubs.

The likes of Lingard, Pereira, TFM, Tuanzebe, Williams, Henderson, McTominay etc should all have been getting us 10-15m+ if sold at the right time. Only a tiny fraction of even these stand-out prospects should be good enough to stay here, even as squad players.

Speako

Imagine being at Manchester United all your playing life, a full international, nearly Thirty years of age, and allowing yourself - nay, needing, - to be placed under Mark Noble’s wing. Good fecking grief.

Robbie Boy

Has he just decided not to be useful for most of his time here, but will suddenly decide to become useful? Excellent logic.