Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiCola

He looked awful for most of preseason.

A lot of energy but very little else.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I really don't understand what Ole sees in him that makes him think he'll suddenly step up and start scoring on regular basis.

Scotty McT

I sometimes forget that Lingard is 26 years old. He has the mentality of a 18 year old with all the silly dancing and social media stuff.

For me, he has become the symbol of what is wrong at United. Unprofessional, mediocre players earning a fortune.

I miss the days when we had a team full of fighters, who's only concern was to win.
It's a nice idea but those days have never existed. If social media existed in the 90s things would be a lot different. As for unprofessional, he's annoying but is that the right word? If he's unprofessional then what is Scholes for refusing to play a match?

Eric's Seagull

Was about to post this. There is no way he's going to suddenly double his career assists. We'd be lucky to get 5 goals and 5 assists out of him.
5 assists is still crap but would be over double his total for last season which just highlights how terrible he has been numbers wise.

Zlatattack

This is what frustrates me.

We have an absolute GEM in Gomes, but i fear he'll get ignored for Jlingz and Mata. I'd rather see him make mistakes in the first XI than see the same old dross from those two. Same with Garner and Matic and Greenwood/Mata/Lingard.

These three lads look very good, lets just give them a chance.

I really hope Ole proves me wrong.

TrustInOle

I strongly disagree with this, with the minutes I saw him get, he would pick the ball up from deep and drive with it to move us further up the pitch, his technique might not be on level to pogba or mata, but you can see 90% what he is attempting to do, with quick one twos, and his movement around the box so far, along with Martial has been one of the biggest improvements ive noticed in pre season.
But just my 2 pennies. Wonder what makes you think he was awful?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm clearly not seeing what others saw in pre season

SCJY

Easily my least favourite player of all the potential starters, and that's saying a lot.

billybee99

Yes, if he can score 8-10 goals but imo if he put on number of assists, say like 15-20, that should be good enough for me. He wants that AM position? He should be assisting more.

That's the level he should be playing now.
He has 11 assists in his entire career so that might be a little far fetched.

KW2006

To certain extent he is similar to Park Ji Sung, a good workhorse, but never good enough to be main threat. Remember when Park is playing, he is there to support Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Berbatov....

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Don't insult Park by even mentioning Lingard in the same breath.

He will do his usual routine of running around aimlessly, when that randomly buys him some space, he will pass it straight back. He cannot take on a man, nor can he open up a defence with his his passes. He will continue to wet himself in front of the goal. That is the Lingard I know.

Based Adnan

To certain extent he is similar to Park Ji Sung, a good workhorse, but never good enough to be main threat. Remember when Park is playing, he is there to support Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Berbatov....
Park was 10x the player Lingard is

manunited1919

If he is a regular starter, then we play great football, he scores and assists many goals, always picking and delivering great passes when we are on the break, he will pass to Martial and Rashford (not just Rashy), and he will almost never lose the ball.
Oh, and this is also the year MUFC fans will love the Glazers. :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Cracking goal against Milan to be fair m.

I just don’t think he excels at very much though, he’s just an average premier league player with good moments. He’s pretty much useless on the wing, and is he technically good enough and creative enough to be a 10?

Nialinho

Would be hilarious if he was our stand out player this year and scored 15-20. Literally the entire forum would have to eat their words :lol:

I actually really like the guy, just hope he can be a lot better than last year and we upgrade by next summer. I think he'll be here for the long haul as a squad option.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Scored an excellent goal against AC Milan.

But it was Jesse so who gives a feck?

PepsiCola

I strongly disagree with this, with the minutes I saw him get, he would pick the ball up from deep and drive with it to move us further up the pitch, his technique might not be on level to pogba or mata, but you can see 90% what he is attempting to do, with quick one twos, and his movement around the box so far, along with Martial has been one of the biggest improvements ive noticed in pre season.
But just my 2 pennies. Wonder what makes you think he was awful?
Besides the Milan game, he was very poor.

Lost possession often, sloppy in his passing, nothing really came off for him.

Hes a thoroughly mediocre player, and his career stats back that.

The less minutes he features in this season, the better.

Would much rather time be given to Gomes.

PepsiCola

See my above post.

One good 45 minutes. Very poor otherwise.

But its Jesse. One screamer and people forget 90% of his mediocre performances.

TrustInOle

Cracking goal against Milan to be fair m.

I just don’t think he excels at very much though, he’s just an average premier league player with good moments. He’s pretty much useless on the wing, and is he technically good enough and creative enough to be a 10?
Last post of the day, but how would you (and other people) feel about Jesse being a squad player begind a quailty, first team amc? Cause I feel he offers alot more than people realise and in some cases something not alot of players do, in his pressing and movememt. This is how he would be best served I feel, as a squad player, and i dont feel its his fault he starts so much, it isnt his fault the higher ups wont bring in that quality.

I feel if lingard is a pathway to help ease Gomes into the team then i think he will an important role to play this season, and with our high press and forward passing style, he will fit better than he has previous seasons, especially as Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Lingard all excelled whenever either were on the pitch together surijg pre-season, there is a chemistry there which brings more out of Lingard for it.

PepsiCola

Strange, I watched all of pre-season and he scored a goal against AC Milan's youth team but other than that may as well have stayed at home. Wish he would.
This.

A lot of you really cant have watched preseason if you think Jesse was anything more than crap.

Worst player alongside Matic.

izzydiggler

This is what it’s come to - fans hoping for miracles based on zero evidence. Just accept anything good from this season as a bonus and save yourself a lot of disappointment.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
See my above post.

One good 45 minutes. Very poor otherwise.

But its Jesse. One screamer and people forget 90% of his mediocre performances.
No, no everybody is quick to slam Jesse even when he's been good. Don't make stuff up.

billybee99

I did not watch this particular game but was this not a game against an Under-23 side? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Grande

Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.
Haha.

I agree with the opening post, to be honest. I think Lingard is going to have a much better season for us, and that he’s going to score 10 goals in the league, 15+ in all comps. He might still not be as good as Dybala, though perhaps more useful to our style of play. A world beater he won’t be. But he might be a good cog in a machinery that will allow others to step up, and eventually he’ll be replaced by Gomes, hopefully, or someone else. This is of course the best scenario, but I have hopes for the lad.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Now that the window is done it is time to support who we've got.

I am not a fan and would far prefer him as a squad member rather than a starter but if he's the best we've got for now then I will get behind him as much as I can. He seems to play ok for England so let's see how it goes.

Fletchageddon

He's key to our success. As soon as he got injured last season we turned to shite. He makes space for the other guys and scares defences with his pace. Stop just looking at the goal and assist stats. Football isn't that binary.

SCJY

Meesi Lingod :drool:
"Meesi" reminded me of Mr. Meeseeks. Lingard does kinda have the head of Mr. Meeseeks being honest.

"I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Look at meee!"

"I'm Jessie Lingz, Look at meeeee!"

Ranchero

He looked actually quite good in pre-season. Quick on the turn and driving forward with the ball. If he plays through the middle and is in and around the edge of the d, I expect him to be a big threat.

I’m going to say he’s going to score 15+ goals for us this season and surprise us all.

Trying my hand at being positive. ;)
I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.