Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

Lingard has been promoted above his station. That isn't actually his fault, he should be a squad option, a Quinton Fortune, and if he was, people would like him more. I feel he's making the most of his ability, I just think it has a ceiling below being a regular starter in Man Utd's first XI. When he's in the team this season he needs to run hard, press hard, and try and get some shots and assists off.

PepsiCola

No, no everybody is quick to slam Jesse even when he's been good. Don't make stuff up.
But he hasn't been good for over a season now.

One goal against AC milan youth doesn't rewrite that.

In fact, bar one purple patch, his entire career has been mediocre.

edgar allan

To certain extent he is similar to Park Ji Sung, a good workhorse, but never good enough to be main threat. Remember when Park is playing, he is there to support Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Berbatov....
Lingard wouldn't be fit to clean Sung's boots

Dante

Average bang
He's woefully underrated by armchair fans. Football managers and people actually in the football industry rate him much higher.

edgar allan

He's woefully underrated by armchair fans. Football managers and people actually in the football industry rate him much higher.
If only he had an end-product, then he would be united quality.

Dante

Average bang
If only he had an end-product, then he would be united quality.
End product isn't the only thing a footballer does.

If Lingard's movement between the lines means that Martial can plod into the box, that helps the latter to get into goalscoring positions. It's to the benefit of the whole team.

edgar allan

End product isn't the only thing a footballer does.

If Lingard's movement between the lines means that Martial can plod into the box, that helps the latter to get into goalscoring positions. It's to the benefit of the whole team.
Yes, I was waiting for Lingard's treasured " movement". Yes he runs around a good bit and makes the odd good run, but maybe I am asking too much to that we would have a player that can actually make a pass or create a few chances occasionally?

Decent squad player tbf, but if he is playing regularly we are in trouble.

Dante

Average bang
Yes, I was waiting for Lingard's treasured " movement". Yes he runs around a good bit and makes the odd good run, but maybe I am asking too much to that we would have a player that can actually make a pass or create a few chances occasionally?

Decent squad player tbf, but if he is playing regularly we are in trouble.
He makes clever runs off-the-ball constantly. He's brilliant at it. Try focussing on him (and only him) for 10 minutes on Sunday. He never gives the opposition midfield/defence a rest. If I were playing against him, he'd be a nightmare to pick up positionally.

JoaquinJoaquin

Ah the old 'people who have never played at a high level won't understand' excuse :D

PepsiCola

We're back to the movement argument and multiple manager argument!

Like clockwork.

RedCurry

Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.
I quite frankly think Ole is ruining Jesse. He needs to be eased into team. A few cameos maybe. I think the best option for him is to go out on a loan.

edgar allan

He makes clever runs off-the-ball constantly. He's brilliant at it. Try focussing on him (and only him) for 10 minutes on Sunday. He never gives the opposition midfield/defence a rest. If I were playing against him, he'd be a nightmare to pick up positionally.
And I repeat, if he could actually pass, cross create or score more than a couple of times a year he would be a baller......but he doesn't and he is not.

PepsiCola

As opposed to the end product being the be all and end all argument!

Like cockwork.
A shame that passing, interplay, assists, goalscoring are large part of what a number 10 needs to do.

Not just "movement".

Trusted by managers during a mediocre period in our history. Wow.

Strats

He was awful during pre-season.

Baffling that he's still a Manchester United player.

fergosaurus

Fellaini was also rated by all of our recent managers. Lingard can he a useful squad player used sparingly but we should expect more quality for first team regulars.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You would just not bother picking him up to begin with because he is zero threat.

You're mistaking clever movement for the opposition being just not threatened at all by him.

"Watch out guys, Mr. 4 goals/2 assists Jesse Lingard is coming through."

He is like an annoying fly you swat away.

I bet Chelsea defenders are shaking in their boots at the thought of Lingard starting.

Dante

Average bang
You would just not bother picking him up to begin with because he is zero threat.

"Watch out guys, Mr. 4 goals/2 assists Jesse Lingard is coming through."

He is like an annoying fly you swat away.
What would you rather:

Martial scores 20, Rashford scores 20 and Lingard scores 0

or

Martial scores 10, Rashford scored 10 and player x scores 10?

Numbers make for easy internet arguments. But they don't always encapsulate the full story. Lingard is one such case.

Obviiously, it's impossible to say that one or other scenario is inevitable. But qualitatively, Lingard adds a lot to our general play. If he didn't, he'd have been sold like Fellaini was.

hobbers

A good season for a player of Lingard's ability is just about good enough to be starting for Burnley.

PepsiCola

Honestly an argument could be made for lingard being the most overrated player in the league.

starman

The same people that moan about him as a footballer will be the same who moaned about Quinton Fortune, O Shea, etc, very good squad players.
As for Jesse himself, the less I see or hear about him outside of football the better

PepsiCola

The same people that moan about him as a footballer will be the same who moaned about Quinton Fortune, O Shea, etc, very good squad players.
As for Jesse himself, the less I see or hear about him outside of football the better
Nope. Saw the value of a player like O'shea.

Dont see the value in Lingard.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What would you rather:

or

Numbers make for easy internet arguments. But they don't always encapsulate the full story. Lingard is one such case.

Obviiously, it's impossible to say that one or other scenario is inevitable. But qualitatively, Lingard adds a lot to our general play. If he didn't, he'd have been sold like Fellaini was.
That's my criticism though, i simply do not think he brings as much value to us as you believe.

He's an attacker who can't dribble, can't pass & can't shoot. Why are we accommodating an attacker with those qualities?

I refuse to believe his mythical movement can double our other attackers output too. That is just absurd.

If he brought as much value to us as you say he does, then why are Martial & Rashford constantly crowded out, whilst the right hand side where Lingard is meant to operate in is empty? If we bought a proper RW like Zaha, you don't think he would occupy the defenders a lot more and that would create more space for our other attackers? Why doesn't Lingard do that for us then?

I also don't think it's wise to say, ''well he hasn't been moved on so he must provide something to the team''... when we have just seen how this club operates in the transfer market. We can't get rid of Rojo or Darmian. What bottom team would be able to afford Lingard's wages anyway? He's on over 100k a week.

Last edited:

Irwin99

There's no reason why he can't have a purple patch like he did under Jose and get 10-12 goals overall and I think he'll probably get that, but it's not really the point. His overall consistency has never been good enough and more often than not his goals+assists seem to come in quick spurts before he reverts to being anonymous for months. He'll probably start a lot more this year which should help his stats but i'm not expecting a full season of quality from him.

Andersons Dietician

Meh, he’ll be a useful tool for pressing but I doubt somehow he’ll all of a sudden turn around his ability and suddenly become good at seeing a pass or executing it. Wouldn’t have said he was good in pre-season either as for the most part he was hopeless.

Sp00ks11

Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.
I am sure you have been quoted loads already, but why the fcuk does everyone think Lingard is a kid!! The media do this too, he is coming on for 27!!!

Lee565

I dont know why people continue to buy in to pre-season player and team performances, they really don't mean anything, so many times in the past certain players look great during pre-season, only to play at their expected average level or not even play at all once it comes to a competitive season, same with pre-season results, some teams have great pre-seasons only to have poor actual seasons, liverpool for instance have had a poor pre-season so are we to expect them to finish 8th now just because of a bad pre-season and United to finish 1st or 2nd because we won all our pre-season matches?

Patience

He was awful during pre-season.

Baffling that he's still a Manchester United player.
What?!??!

He was brilliant in pre-season.

Absolutely perfect player for this kind of high press...

He is ideally suited to Ole's style and was one of our most impressive performers in our brilliant run (Dec-Feb) and one of our most impressive performers in pre-season.

He will be a regular starter under Ole.. those who don't like him better get used to that. He is the best attacker we have at pressing...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
How is 26-yeard old (27 in December) Lingard “a kid”? In what world? :) But agree with you otherwise - there is zero indication that Lingard will have a good season. It’s all wishful thinking.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What would you rather:

or

Premier League stats 2018/19.

Lingard: 27(8 sub) 1668 mins. 4 goals, 2 assists. g/a 278 mins.
Rashford: 33(7 sub) 2343 mins. 10 goals, 6 assists. g/a 146 mins.
Martial: 27(9 sub) 1623 mins. 10 goals, 2 assists. g/a 135 mins.

If Lingard has such an amplifying effect on our team, why were their tallies so low? He was a key starter after all.

How do you explain this?

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not sure about excellent but hopefully he will have one like 2017-18 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.