Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He looked actually quite good in pre-season. Quick on the turn and driving forward with the ball. If he plays through the middle and is in and around the edge of the d, I expect him to be a big threat.

I’m going to say he’s going to score 15+ goals for us this season and surprise us all.

Trying my hand at being positive. ;)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.
He's 26 going on 27 ffs! He's not a kid anymore! aye

I hope he does well, he'd prove a lot of people wrong about him if he shows he can contribute across a season, not just in the odd game or purple patch.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

So Lingard is still a kid? Forever young I guess.

Ace of Spades

Both Mata and Lingard will be better in the middle than the right, but that is only relative to their own performances out wide. They should score and create more than last season when they played on the right, but still both are not of the quality required to be regular starting players. Lingard is actually a very good bench player, good energy and pace to bring on against tired defenders, but Mata is a player I think who is only useful against teams parking the bus.

Snafu17

Que Lingard is young jokes. We all know the main ingredient of comedy is repetition. That's why all memes are always and forever hilarious.

Hopefully he has a good season. If he can consistently reach the level he was at in Mourinho's second season it'll help us immensely. One of him, Mata, Pereira and Fred absolutely needs to step up, otherwise will be in trouble.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well, somebody has to.

southlegend

Being positive would be: "We should expect Jesse to make consistent use of his talents, especially considering the opportunities given to him following our recent departures."

Saying "Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season." just has a very high chance of you feeling extremely disappointed by October.

Dan_F

Apart from him being one of the worst players in pre season.

Codie

Nicely done :lol:

Edit: wait, you were joking right?

Paxi

Apart from him being one of the worst players in pre season.
Thought he played alright through the middle. Nothing earth-shattering but he showed glimpses. Very good finish against Milan too.

Eric's Seagull

Really hoping so. He needs to as he us supposedly approaching his prime and he had terrible numbers last season. To ask him to treble his scoring numbers from last season is a big ask. Hope he does.

JoaquinJoaquin

He won't, because he is a very average player..

That being said, i'd be happy for him to just contribute with 1 good game in 3 rather than 8 or 9.

Paxi

He won't, because he is a very average player..

That being said, i'd be happy for him to just contribute with 1 good game in 3 rather than 8 or 9.
That would be excellent for me to be fair.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Yes! He will score 30 goals. And all of them will be screamers!

Pace Abuser

it's not even a debate anymore. He's rubbish .It doesn't deserve anything more than one word descriptions. Lingard is garbage. Pure shite.

Paxi

I really hope he does, as contrary to popular belief I actually want to see him be good, it's just 90% of the time he is poor.
I completely agree and to add to that — I think he’s a bit of an idiot with all of his stupid videos, but what are ya gonna do — he’s here now and I wish him all the best as it’ll only make my life less miserable.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have hopes for many things this season, but Jesse Lingard being anywhere near consistent and reliable is not one of them.

He'll do what he's always done... have a great game here and there, pop-up with a crucial goal or two, and be maddeningly average to really crap the rest of the time.

Nick7

I guess this is a joke thread, but I do think he'll do well if played centrally this season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Although goals would be nice, we actually need more assists from him - creativity was the main issue last year

More of the Rashford-Lingard-Martial combo we saw when Ole first turned up would be nice

meamth

Yes he can turn quickly and all that, but his through balls are infuriating during pre season.

He needs to fix that ASAP. I'm one of his patient supporters.

Alabaster Codify7

Can't see it mate. He is a 27yr old manchild. We have seen the peak of his abilities, he has good energy levels and his movement is pretty good but that's essentially it. He should be nothing more than a squad option.

Paxi

I guess this is a joke thread, but I do think he'll do well if played centrally this season.
No I’m trying to find optimism that Ole has in him. It’s more of fools hope but sure.

Paxi

Yes he can turn quickly and all that, but his through balls are infuriating during pre season.

He needs to fix that ASAP. I'm one of his patient supporters.
They were infuriating to be fair but I’d want him to try to go for goal more. He has a decent finish on him. Again, inconsistent as feck though.

Paxi

Although goals would be nice, we actually need more assists from him - creativity was the main issue last year

More of the Rashford-Lingard-Martial combo we saw when Ole first turned up would be nice
Yes hoping to see that. Hopefully their pace can cause chaos on the counter attack.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If he plays more than half of our matches, we'll finish outside the top 4.

We only tend to play 3 attackers, and he doesn't score goals or create them. And given whoever the other 2 are, neither will have ever scored more than 20 in a season, we'll be dry up front.

He has never shown the ability to maintain a goal-scoring record throughout a season. He's only had one 'purple-patch' and even that should be standard for a Manchester United forward in terms of productivity.

Paxi

Can't see it mate. He is a 27yr old manchild. We have seen the peak of his abilities, he has good energy levels and his movement is pretty good but that's essentially it. He should be nothing more than a squad option.
I think he’s got a decent finish on him and can score an odd cracker so he has that in his locker. I think three times where he scored absolute blinders (Watford, Leicester and Stoke) was when he was just charging forward and not dilly dallying on the ball. I’m just hoping that it clicks — by God we need it.

meamth

They were infuriating to be fair but I’d want him to try to go for goal more. He has a decent finish on him. Again, inconsistent as feck though.
Yes, if he can score 8-10 goals but imo if he put on number of assists, say like 15-20, that should be good enough for me. He wants that AM position? He should be assisting more.

That's the level he should be playing now.

Dan_F

Thought he played alright through the middle. Nothing earth-shattering but he showed glimpses. Very good finish against Milan too.
He played no different to how he normally does. Nice touches at times, good movement, but no killer passes and can’t beat a man. I don’t think he’s anywhere near the biggest problem, but he has to step up considerably this year if he’s going to be a starter.

His safe style of passing is so infuriating to watch, even though his movement is good, it’s often just to lay a ball backwards after finding space. You can blame others for not moving at the same time, but I doubt he’d be able to play first time passes forward like the attacking midfielders at City do when they find gaps.

Paxi

Yes, if he can score 8-10 goals but imo if he put on number of assists, say like 15-20, that should be good enough for me. He wants that AM position? He should be assisting more.

That's the level he should be playing now.
Jesus, if he had that sort of output I’d fecking fall my seat. That would be excellent from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.