Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He impressed me the most of all the reserve players who were given time against AmaZulu.

He made a couple of really nice moves that left his defender off balance and completely unable to follow him upfield as he danced past, and made good use of the ball under pressure all things considered.

Thought he could use a thread in the United forum, the youth/reserve thread hasn't been bumped in 3 years and has 14 posts. :eek:

He deserves better! He's been strong in the reserves, last year he was one of 3 players up for the Reserves' Player of the Year.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Lingard is class - I think some people are probably just a bit more cautious with hyping midfielders after the Morrison/Pogba fiasco. He's not in their level of talent in my opinion, although he's come on leaps and bounds and has clear quality on the ball. I'm not sure why, but I'm more inclined to think Cole will make it than Lingard, but they're both very promising players.

It's a pain in the arse that we've had this gap between our current set of midfielders and the next generation. Would've been perfect had Petrucci, Morrison, Pogba, Cole, Lingard et al had been just a couple of years older. They're talented, they look comfortable in the reserves and with the first team, but they're just not quite there yet or are not experienced enough (or have just left). The only midfielder from our youth ranks that hasn't been caught in this situation is Cleverley, but he's been injured 90% of the time. Fergie must be so frustrated. You can understand the continued hesitance in not investing in midfield in a way - we have and have had so much quality in the academy and reserves in midfield...surely one of this lot will come through!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
We should find him a decent team for a loan spell as quickly as possible. Another year in the reserves will only slow his development. The quality level is just shite.

Ole90+3

He looked brilliant last night. Admittedly, I don't watch much reserve matches, but his performance last night was better than anything Morrison produced in the first team, granted it was probably against weaker opposition.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he was MOM alongside Berbatov.

Very composed on the ball, and never let his defensive work down either.

Top performance.

Decotron

Doubt he'll make it here but we'll probably end up getting a few million for him. Great attitude and seems a bright lad on the pitch as well. Wouldnt have the natrual ability of some of our youngsters. Done great over the last 12 months tbf to him

Adam-Utd

Doubt he'll make it here but we'll probably end up getting a few million for him. Great attitude and seems a bright lad on the pitch as well. Wouldnt have the natrual ability of some of our youngsters. Done great over the last 12 months tbf to him
Why would he not? he didnt look out of place at all last night.

Certainly got the ability to be a squad player atleast; and hes been improving non stop the last few years.

He reminded me of a less experienced iniesta with the way he pass / moved, and had that little bit of agility to get passed his opponent pretty easy.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He was good from what I saw but Brady showed glimpses too. A good bit of skill to get by his man and when he broke forward and won a corner, he showed good strength. The kids though aren't mugs, it shouldn't be that big a surprise. If they show the right temperament and take their chances, they're already at the club

Adam-Utd

He was good from what I saw but Brady showed glimpses too. A good bit of skill to get by his man and when he broke forward and won a corner, he showed good strength. The kids though aren't mugs, it shouldn't be that big a surprise. If they show the right temperament and take their chances, they're already at the club
Agreed, we know that if they knuckle down, work hard and behave they will get chances.

Fergie has given pretty much every player capable at this level to give it a shot, look back at Eagles and Martin etc.

Ok they might have been top quality but he still gave them the oppertunity.

If the kids are good enough, they will get a chance. Its up to them to show they are now up to the standard required.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
How can you possibly say that?

jb8521

One thing I've noticed recently with the kids who have been brought up with United from a really young age and was very evident from Jesse last night and even with the likes of Cleverley and Welbeck is the comfort in playing quick 1 touch passes and having the confidence to do it rather than taking an extra touch which a lot of players will do to make sure they dont make a mistake. Its great to see and it seems Rene Meulensteens coaching is really starting to pay off with the players coming through.

Heffo

How can you possibly say that?
Because it's an opinion he's formed after watching Lingard come through the academy team and last season in the reserves and not after one good performance against poor opposition in a friendly. There's nothing wrong with what Deco said there. He didn't rule out the possibility of him making it here, he just said it is unlikely and that there are more talented youngsters at United, which is all true.

Hopefully we might see him develop in the same way as someone like Cleverly and after a few loan moves he might get a chance with United. But suddenly putting expectations on a young player to make it in the first team after seeing him perform well in one friendly match would be ridiculous. Particularly considering I would doubt that the majority of the Caf knew much about him before last night.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
One thing I've noticed recently with the kids who have been brought up with United from a really young age and was very evident from Jesse last night and even with the likes of Cleverley and Welbeck is the comfort in playing quick 1 touch passes and having the confidence to do it rather than taking an extra touch which a lot of players will do to make sure they dont make a mistake. Its great to see and it seems Rene Meulensteens coaching is really starting to pay off with the players coming through.
Yeah, this is nice to see. They want to keep it on the deck, and wants to keep the ball moving.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I've watched him last season too, and I thought he was great, he has a good engine, he's quick, he's good on the ball, and is brave, I like him.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
It's very, very difficult to predict whether or not someone will "make" it from the reserves. So is the case for Lingard as well.

It was an encouraging display against lesser opposition, though, has to be said.

Robbie Boy

It's very, very difficult to predict whether or not someone will "make" it from the reserves. So is the case for Lingard as well.

It was an encouraging display against lesser opposition, though, has to be said.
Agree with that, it is very hard to call. There have been many shocking calls on who will and won't make it - from reserve/youth level.

I think a loan to a Champo/League 1 side, would be good for him. Maybe someone like Swindon? Di Canio likes his players to play a-bit and Lingard would fit in well there, IMO.

Decotron

People thought the same about Cleverley for quite some time.
Not the people who mattered though (i.e. at the club). Nobody has ever spoke about Lingard in the same breath as they did with Cleverley, Eric Harrison's quotes on Cleverley tell it all really...

Ive no problem at all with Lingard. Quite the opposite actually his attiutude etc has always been spot on. I dont see him having the class to make with us in the long term though...hardly a ground breaking prediction either...

mufcwarm92

The 2011 FA Youth Cup winners are the first youth team I've followed from a young age and went to a few of the youth cup games that year so I'm really interested to see how they progress.

It's interesting to see how it's often the ones that don't receive that much hype that go on and impress. Morisson stood out and looked a class act but clearly didn't have the attitude and I wouldn't be surprised if he got nowhere near his vast potential. Pogba has moved on but I still rate him very highly. There was a fair amount of hype around the Keane brothers and they'll have really bright futures IMO. Lingard didn't look that special but clearly had some talent and it would be interesting if he was one of the ones who really made his mark. Likewise Blackett looked impressive last night but was benched (though a bit younger) in the latter stages that season. Cole may get some game time soon too.

I always find it fascinating how people who watched the class of 92 extensively said neither Scholes or Neville had too much hype but they went on to greatness, while the likes of Gillespie didn't make the cut despite massive hype.

prateik

Did alright again. And Fergie had him in his list of future united stars.
Most of them on the list are already regulars. Only Powell and Jesse were the new ones.

Not bad :D

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Cracking little player. Id never been that blown away by him in our reserves but he's took to playing with the first team like a duck to water. His one touch passing has been really good and he's looked really smart. I'm gonna say this, but he's reminded me a bit of Morrison. Definitely been the best youngster on tour for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks the best of the young players on tour so far. Very classy.

savais

Both he and Petrucci have impressed me. Yes, they have a slight build, but the same can be said of the likes of Iniesta and Xavi. Not saying these 2 can be as good, just a point about their physique.
One thing that worries me is if they can be as nimble when they eventually bulk up. I saw Cleverly play for GB, and he has bulked up quite a bit, but seemed quite slow and not as mobile as before.

savais

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for them to bulk up to handle the rigours of the EPL, but it does take something away from them

buckooo1978

Both he and Petrucci have impressed me. Yes, they have a slight build, but the same can be said of the likes of Iniesta and Xavi. Not saying these 2 can be as good, just a point about their physique.
One thing that worries me is if they can be as nimble when they eventually bulk up. I saw Cleverly play for GB, and he has bulked up quite a bit, but seemed quite slow and not as mobile as before.
Agree but I also think the kid Freddie Veseli has looked solid as well

jb8521

Whatever about Lingard I definitely wouldnt call Petrucci slight hes quite well built

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You dont need to be bulked up to be a good football player - strength is important like Xavi or Messi have despite being rather skinny

Godfather

He really looked pretty good. As did Veseli btw.
Not that impressed by Petrucci though

Adam-Utd

Muscle mass is overrated.

Look how much Hernandez has "bulked up", hes so much bigger than he was 2 years ago, but many think this has been a hinderence rather than a help.

He looks slower and less nimble.

mufcwarm92

It's more about intelligence and getting your body in the right place to shield the ball, coupled with a fearlessness to mix with some of the big bastards in the Prem. Obviously if you're incredibly small and skinny you would often want to avoid that sort of physical contact but I don't think actual bulk is really that important, except perhaps for confidence in that kind of situation.

I've been very impressed with Lingard. Really hope he can convert this pre season form into competitive performances.

Adam-Utd

The difference now is the players are more protected, rash tackles and over physical challenges arent allowed anymore, so there is there most emphasis on speed / skill, rather than being a bully.

Will Absolute

Look how much Hernandez has "bulked up", hes so much bigger than he was 2 years ago, but many think this has been a hinderence rather than a help.

It's a double-edged sword. Ronaldo lost some of his sparkle on the dribble when he bulked up, I think.

tintedsepia

Yes he looks slower which has taken off his edge. So he's caught offside far more often to try to compensate. But perhaps he's just off-form?

Status
Not open for further replies.