Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

He didnt play enough even though he was better then the alternatives + i dont want him at that circus of a club, lets loan him to Swansea or one of the new clubs in PL.
Fair enough, it's going to be difficult for him to get starts no matter where he goes though, especially in a PL loan.

hebegebe

City need this, but again we are digressing from the point of Lingard here. I will concede you probably know a lot more about the ins and outs of our academy than me; and will take your word on our incompetence there and say I was wrong. But when you say Lingard is championship level, I don't think you have a clue about a) him or b) the championship.
City do need this, but I don't want us to be in City's position in a few years time, where we have to bring in overseas players at the older age groups to improve the quality of our lads. Also, you seem to disregard the younger age groups in our academy, both Lingard and Wilson, along with many others, have been with us since 8 years old.

In regard to Lingard, I was probably harsh in saying Championship level, I hold my hands up, I have only seen him play a handful of times whilst on loan in the Championship, however I don't think he will ever be anywhere near good enough for our first team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
City do need this, but I don't want us to be in City's position in a few years time, where we have to bring in overseas players at the older age groups to improve the quality of our lads. Also, you seem to disregard the younger age groups in our academy, both Lingard and Wilson, along with many others, have been with us since 8 years old.

In regard to Lingard, I was probably harsh in saying Championship level, I hold my hands up, I have only seen him play a handful of times whilst on loan in the Championship, however I don't think he will ever be anywhere near good enough for our first team.
Fair enough, good discussion. I can definitely see your point of view on Lingard, but respectfully disagree. You've definitely enlightened me on the academy side of things. I hope we do improve this with a new academy manager.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Deserves his start, was our best player against Portugal before being unfairly subbed and saved our asses against Sweden.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I don't see him at United long term, but I think he's a classy player who should be playing regular PL football.

ivaldo

He's the only one that can hold his head.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
very good tournament from Jesse, by far the best england player out there.

NoPace

I don't see him at United long term, but I think he's a classy player who should be playing regular PL football.
I think he's a better fit for La Liga. He links well, he's a good shooter and not a down the line crossing winger type so he'll want to play with a 9 who can link up and provide him shooting chances and play 1-2's and such.

m1y2

I would love him to be given a chance to play instead of Fellaini for couple of games, he's workrate to play in the midfield three in an advanced role. Very intelligent and tactically acknowledged player. I think he will come in handy next season and on as a good squad player. Very consistent performances for such young guy

ivaldo

I really dont think anyone would be talking about him if he didnt play for us.
Perhaps, although if you asked unbiased people who watched England's 3 games who was our best player; I think it would be fairly unanimous that they'd pick Lingard.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think he's a better fit for La Liga. He links well, he's a good shooter and not a down the line crossing winger type so he'll want to play with a 9 who can link up and provide him shooting chances and play 1-2's and such.
I agree, I'd love to see him make a move to La Liga or even one of the top Eredivisie sides. I like the guy and rate him highly but realistically he isn't going to make it here. Sure he could probably offer something as a squad player but I'd rather Adnan and Andreas were getting that time. He is a very technical and smart player who doesn't look out of place alongside top players playing good football. He'd probably fit in at Swansea but as you say lower clubs often favour a fast and direct winger which he is not. I think he could struggle to have a good career because of this.

Ekeke

He was the stand out player for England today - mostly because the rest were shite but still

Did you actually watch the matches or you just forming an opinion from thin air?
Watched. He doesn't create anything, he's good for a goal every so many games. If he played for someone else most would call him an average player

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree, I'd love to see him make a move to La Liga or even one of the top Eredivisie sides. I like the guy and rate him highly but realistically he isn't going to make it here. Sure he could probably offer something as a squad player but I'd rather Adnan and Andreas were getting that time. He is a very technical and smart player who doesn't look out of place alongside top players playing good football. He'd probably fit in at Swansea but as you say lower clubs often favour a fast and direct winger which he is not. I think he could struggle to have a good career because of this.
If it was up to me I would send Adnan and Andreas out on loan until Xmas and put Lingard in the first team squad

Ekeke

who was better?
Redmond. 5 key passes to set up chances, 1 goal. Most dribbles, tied for most tackles (with Lingard and others) 1 accurate cross. A little frustrating at times but he clearly had more of an impact

Lingard had 4 off target shots and and 1 accurate cross. He was decent but if he played for Everton or something I dont think anyone would be talking him up for that performance, or any of his overall performances in the tournament, abeit it was a nice goal off the bench

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Redmond. 5 key passes to set up chances, 1 goal. Most dribbles, tied for most tackles (with Lingard and others) 1 accurate cross. A little frustrating at times but he clearly had more of an impact

Lingard had 4 off target shots and and 1 accurate cross. He was decent but if he played for Everton or something I dont think anyone would be talking him up for that performance, or any of his overall performances in the tournament, abeit it was a nice goal off the bench
Personally I thought Redmond was a bit poor tbh(apart from the goal), thought Lingard was ok and also Kane too. All in all they were all a bit naff

Ekeke

Personally I thought Redmond was a bit poor tbh(apart from the goal), thought Lingard was ok and also Kane too. All in all they were all a bit naff
Not saying he couldnt do better, just showing that he caused a threat (far more so than any other player for England) and got a goal on top of that. He looked the most likely to make something happen and then he did

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

I am sure he would still get recognition as one of the better English performers regardless of who he played for - no one is exactly going overboard about it though as it was just one of few bright sparks in a bucket of shite.

Ekeke

I am sure he would still get recognition as one of the better English performers regardless of who he played for - no one is exactly going overboard about it though as it was just one of few bright sparks in a bucket of shite.
Maybe a passing mention, as you say we played poorly

NoPace

Even a team like Swansea, for all the nice stuff the play, end up asking their wingers to go 1 on 1 and create a lot because they play neat but not penetrative possession early in the buildup.

I could see Lingard having the career evolution of Jason Puncheon in the sense of being an okay winger who eventually improves after converting to a 10 if he stays in the Prem.

If Lingard is reading this, which he isn't, I'd suggest going to Spain to a team that needs a winger for 3-5 seasons (his physical prime) then coming back to play in the Prem as a 10 at around 27/28 (intellectual prime).

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
There's no subjectivity in calling him England's player of the tournament, not that it's saying much.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

DocRockter

Him having Carrick and Rooney passing him and having the luxury of Mata and Di Maria playing next to him, I have no doubts that LVG wants to keep him around to see if he can take the next step forward.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really like Lingard I do. Really intelligent player, in my opinion, who I'd love to see get a chance next season, either playing on the wing or the most advanced midfielder.

Every time he's went away with the first team for pre season, he's always come away with being arguably the best player, in my opinion, yet he hasn't been given much of a chance. Recently, Van Gaal has said he vows to give youth a chance in pre season. Although Lingard isn't exactly that young now, I can imagine that he'll be given a chance if he has another good pre season.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Really like Lingard I do. Really intelligent player, in my opinion, who I'd love to see get a chance next season, either playing on the wing or the most advanced midfielder.

Every time he's went away with the first team for pre season, he's always come away with being arguably the best player, in my opinion, yet he hasn't been given much of a chance. Recently, Van Gaal has said he vows to give youth a chance in pre season. Although Lingard isn't exactly that young now, I can imagine that he'll be given a chance if he has another good pre season.
didnt Fergie said that he will be ready for the first team by the age of 24 or something like that.....

Walters_19_MuFc

didnt Fergie said that he will be ready for the first team by the age of 24 or something like that.....
Just done a bit of research. Fergie said he'd be ready by 22, which is currently his age now, so hopefully he takes his chance in pre season and finds himself in the squad next season.

“He [Ferguson] sat down with me and my dad when he was manager and said that I’d probably be ready for the first team at 22. If I can get there before then though, that’ll be great.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...o-REJECT-Liverpool-and-join-Manchester-United

Brightonian

He's not putting his point across particularly well but what he's saying is true as by all accounts things are a bit of a mess at the club from under 16s down. Were still trying to do a lot of things in a very old fashioned manner and failing to move with the times. Brian McClair leaving was part of this and both Moyes and Van Gaal have noticed a need for an overhaul at the younger age levels and hopefully that will begin this summer starting with the appointment of a new academy manager
He really wasn't putting his point across well if that was his point. I don't totally disagree with that, although I still feel that calling the current situation with the younger age groups a mess is a little strong. Certain changes need to be made, but we're not looking for a total overhaul in my opinion. We're still ultimately feeding a good number of good quality young players into the U18s.

And any comparisons with City on that front remain moot - which was my real beef with hebegebe's nonsense - until they actually start to produce something for their own first team, consistently get players into good jobs throughout the league pyramid, or even win some trophies at youth level. All of which we are still consistently succeeding at.

Sylar

Honestly think he should have got more minutes (him and januzaj swapping) in Moyes season with us after the pre-season.
Last season, such a shame he got injured in the first game of the season. Would have been interesting to see if he had been used more had it not happened and had we beaten Swansea.

LR7

Lingard's performance hasn't really drawn much discussion on here but I was watching LvGs post match interview with Stewart Gardener on MUTV yesterday, he was asked if he was pleased with Pereira's impressive performance and responded by saying not only Pereira and went on to praise Jesse suggesting he held the width a lot on the right - compared to mata in the first half - and that helped us to create lots of chances in the second half in comparison to the first. I think LvG really likes him because I think he carries out his instructions well. I hope he impresses in the next three games because I think he can play a role in the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.