Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

Lingard's performance hasn't really drawn much discussion on here but I was watching LvGs post match interview with Stewart Gardener on MUTV yesterday, he was asked if he was pleased with Pereira's impressive performance and responded by saying not only Pereira and went on to praise Jesse suggesting he held the width a lot on the right - compared to mata in the first half - and that helped us to create lots of chances in the second half in comparison to the first. I think LvG really likes him because I think he carries out his instructions well. I hope he impresses in the next three games because I think he can play a role in the first team.
that's a good sign, I like him a lot but he should play more centrally if we want to get the best out of him, unfortunately there is immense competition for him there, so we will see how Van Gaal wants to utilize him. Jesse's very clever versatile player who can play number of positions so I believe he will have a squad role in our team but with all the signings the chances for him are getting slimmer, he may do better to leave United for good for his own good sooner rather than later

Walters_19_MuFc

Lingard's performance hasn't really drawn much discussion on here but I was watching LvGs post match interview with Stewart Gardener on MUTV yesterday, he was asked if he was pleased with Pereira's impressive performance and responded by saying not only Pereira and went on to praise Jesse suggesting he held the width a lot on the right - compared to mata in the first half - and that helped us to create lots of chances in the second half in comparison to the first. I think LvG really likes him because I think he carries out his instructions well. I hope he impresses in the next three games because I think he can play a role in the first team.
Really glad Van Gaal noticed that. I also thought Lingard looked bright when he come on. In regards to keeping the width, I agree. About 3 or 4 times, Lingard and McNair linked up well down the right and were able to create two vs one situations, which, as you said, allowed us to create more chances, in comparison to the first half.

wiz4231

In regards to Mata, if he ain't holding the width then why not play him behind the striker and Memphis on the wings :houllier:

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
The most interesting thing for me is that van gaal is creating 2 sides for us or the new manager.

One of them is where the fullbacks like darmian & shaw overlap the cutting in of mata & possibly depay.

The other one seems like a flat back four with width coming from the wingers.

This is where lingard, januzaj, young, mcnair & blackett fit in to a much better degree.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Will be very tough for Jesse but hopefully he remains patient and takes his chance when it comes.
He definitely got patience. Showed it already after the injury that pretty much prevented him from jumping to the team last year.

m1y2

The most interesting thing for me is that van gaal is creating 2 sides for us or the new manager.

One of them is where the fullbacks like darmian & shaw overlap the cutting in of mata & possibly depay.

The other one seems like a flat back four with width coming from the wingers.

This is where lingard, januzaj, young, mcnair & blackett fit in to a much better degree.
he's not creating two different sides the philosophy and tactics is pretty much the same, although some players surely have individual instructions to get the best out of them. The flat back four is just nonsense, we only play with Blackett and McNair because we don't have anyone else and we need them to get some minutes under their belts too.. I think next game we will play Jones-Smalling as CB from the start and Blind will be ready to come on for Shaw at 60th minute

Brightonian

His attitude helps him to consistently shine in these friendlies. He was trying twice as hard as everyone else a couple of summers ago when he scored practically all of our tour goals. And in the second half of the San Jose game he often seemed to be the only player who could be bothered at all.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
such a lovely team player, must be a joy playing alongside him.....

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
he's not creating two different sides the philosophy and tactics is pretty much the same, although some players surely have individual instructions to get the best out of them. The flat back four is just nonsense, we only play with Blackett and McNair because we don't have anyone else and we need them to get some minutes under their belts too.. I think next game we will play Jones-Smalling as CB from the start and Blind will be ready to come on for Shaw at 60th minute
Right so when van gaal said mcnair could be our future RB it was solely for rotation purposes? The fact is that sometimes you cant play fully attacking fullbacks especially if your wingers are more individualistic players.

Even though they are not in the squad; we have blind, rojo, mcnair, blackett, shaw, darmian, rafael valencia & young all vying for fullback positions. Out of them you can create an attacking focused fullback double or a defensive one. Both have there benefits.

Last edited:

marlowe78

I've liked him for a while now. Unfortunate that he got injured against Swansea as he could've earned a place in the squad.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I've liked him for a while now. Unfortunate that he got injured against Swansea as he could've earned a place in the squad.
Yep, he essentially lost the entire season, iirc he went on loan and got a 10 games or so at the end, but still it was just brutal to lose a year when you're so young.

There's no replacement for the energy and enthusiasm of youth!

Status
Not open for further replies.