Joško Gvardiol | signs for Peps CB collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Gvardiol wanting to follow in the footsteps of the multitude of Croatian greats who have gone before him at the club.

Igor Biscan and Dejan Lovren.

Lux Thunder

Gvardiol would be a dream, left-footed and at a young age, ready-made to be a serious contender for starting lineup in top clubs. He has everything you want from a modern ball-playing center back playing in high line: technique, very good vertical passes, strong in 1v1 situations, recovery pace...simply, generational talent. He won't be leaving RB for less than 70 mil., but the bigger problem from the price tag is that his heart is set to move to Liverpool one day.

Watched a YouTube podcast with Gvardiol last summer, hosted by my acquaintance and journalist employed by Croatia Football Association, and one of the questions was:

"Each of us has a favorite club from abroad, including Joško. The question is where would you like to play? - Liverpool. From a young age, I watched Liverpool games with my dad. When I took football more seriously, I started following them, and I definitely want the Premiership and Liverpool" - Gvardiol concluded.

Would be scary to see pair of VVD and Gvardiol in the future.
Back in April. :wenger:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's basically begging to come to the Prem.

Surely we should be all over this, especially if we can properly spend again in the summer? He looks to have everything at such a young age and could be a long term Varane replacement.

Chelsea have bought so many CBs now that you'd think the potential move to them is over but of course you never know.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
How so?

Most teams plays with two right footers at CB, so I suppose two left footers shouldn't be a problem. I suspect though that Ten Hag sees it differently.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How so?

Most teams plays with two right footers at CB, so I suppose two left footers shouldn't be a problem. I suspect though that Ten Hag sees it differently.
Saw quotes where he said he wants to play in the PL. Sure it's not the first time he's said it in the last 6 months.

Wasn't aware he was left footed actually. Might be a bit of a spanner in the works then.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Surely we should be all over this, especially if we can properly spend again in the summer? He looks to have everything at such a young age and could be a long term Varane replacement.

Chelsea have bought so many CBs now that you'd think the potential move to them is over but of course you never know.
He has insane potential but it would be an unnecessary transfer seeing how we already have Martinez in that LCB position who puts in regular world class performances week in week out, other areas in more need of prioritizing as of now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's fantastic. If we could get him and get rid of Maguire, that would be sensational.
No chance that we are even considering him. We need another defender and we will buy new defender (because Maguire will be off) but ETH's first choice pair is Lisandro and Varane. And that is nailed. So i don't see us buying spending 100 mil on someone who would rotate with those two.
We will go for cheaper option like Timber or someone.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No chance that we are even considering him. We need another defender and we will buy new defender (because Maguire will be off) but ETH's first choice pair is Lisandro and Varane. And that is nailed. So i don't see us buying spending 100 mil on someone who would rotate with those two.
We will go for cheaper option like Timber or someone.
I wouldn't call timber a cheaper option, ajax would be looking to squeeze us as much as possible after the last summer.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Luka Vusković might be a more economical fit for United, particularly as Varane's long term replacement. Croatian (like Gvardiol), massively rated at youth level (debuted for the U-17 team at age 14), tall and long at 6'4", predominantly right-footed (so an easy and natural projection at RCB), athletically good and also technically sound. You never know how someone will translate from U-17 or U-19 teams to senior football...especially going from Hajduk Split to Manchester United, but he's not lacking in any fundamental qualities; and if we wait for someone like him to develop in senior football, we will probably have to pay a huge fee in 2-3 years (that's what happened with the likes of de Ligt, Marquinhos, Dias, Fofana, Gvardiol in recent years). Mind you that's if he's not snapped up by some other major club in the fear future (according to reports, Paris Saint-Germain are very interested in him!)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wouldn't call timber a cheaper option, ajax would be looking to squeeze us as much as possible after the last summer.
He will be around 50 mil and he was Erik's first choice this summer. Plus covers RB position. I think that ETH will insist on him

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Saw quotes where he said he wants to play in the PL. Sure it's not the first time he's said it in the last 6 months.

Wasn't aware he was left footed actually. Might be a bit of a spanner in the works then.
Amazing scouting work there:lol:. Redcafe in a nutshell. Please don't ban me :nervous:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was Redcafe's wet dream until Messi killed him in the world cup final.

Gone but not forgotten x

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Feels like just yesterday when you were just a delinquent in the general with Elvis, now look at you, a staff member, a man with so much power. Dodgy eyes admittedly but so so much power.

Any chance of bringing back Pert?:angel:
@esmufc07 is still there mentally.

NYAS

Nailed on for Liverpool I think. None of the other big clubs in the PL need him.

footballbite

Luka Vusković might be a more economical fit for United
He couldn't even join Utd for another 2 years.

It's such a shame Gvardiol is left-footed as he really seems to be the best up-coming CB around. If he was right-footed it'd be a no-brainer.

Lux Thunder

Luka Vusković might be a more economical fit for United, particularly as Varane's long term replacement. Croatian (like Gvardiol), massively rated at youth level (debuted for the U-17 team at age 14), tall and long at 6'4", predominantly right-footed (so an easy and natural projection at RCB), athletically good and also technically sound. You never know how someone will translate from U-17 or U-19 teams to senior football...especially going from Hajduk Split to Manchester United, but he's not lacking in any fundamental qualities; and if we wait for someone like him to develop in senior football, we will probably have to pay a huge fee in 2-3 years (that's what happened with the likes of de Ligt, Marquinhos, Dias, Fofana, Gvardiol in recent years). Mind you that's if he's not snapped up by some other major club in the fear future (according to reports, Paris Saint-Germain are very interested in him!)

Vušković is very talented, rated highly as Gvardiol was in youth ranks, but since Brexit, it's very unlikely for United to sign an underage player directly from Croatia, I think it is even impossible. Pretty much convinced that he wouldn't pass the GBE points rule.

As for Gvardiol, he would be a luxury signing given our other priorities and his price, but he would be worth every penny, generational talent who I would welcome here if we have a chance and the financial power to sign him after solving our primary needs.

Blood Mage

Really good player but he wouldn't bench Martinez. If we do sign another CB it will need to be a right-footer to replace Varane.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He couldn't even join Utd for another 2 years.
Vušković is very talented, rated highly as Gvardiol was in youth ranks, but since Brexit, it's very unlikely for United to sign an underage player directly from Croatia, I think it is even impossible. Pretty much convinced that he wouldn't pass the GBE points rule.
Nooooo, hadn't even thought about that; you're both right, of course! Clubs like United will be forced to concede a big advantage to non-Premier League rivals (and especially conduits like Leipzig, Benfica, et cetera). :(
The FA has announced that post-Brexit Premier League and EFL clubs will not be allowed to sign players until they are 18 and all transfers from EU nations will require a work permit to be allocated using a points system.

The new system will come into force on 1st January 2021 and has been agreed by the FA, Premier League and EFL. All foreign players wishing to play in the UK will now be required to gain a work permit before their transfer can be completed, with the permits being allocated using a points system. Players will earn points from their number of club appearances, number of international appearances and the quality of the selling club based on the league they play in, their league position and their progress in continental competition, with players needing 15 points to qualify. In the women’s game the youth international appearances and continental success will not be taken into account.

Clubs will no longer be able to sign overseas players under the age of 18 and will be limited to signing no more than three overseas players under the age of 21 in any single transfer window and a total of no more than six per season. The plan was placed before the Government last month and has now received approval from the Home Office.

It is expected that the move would not stop top international players from signing for UK teams but may restrict the number of future stars who are yet to make any significant impact, therefore increasing the opportunities for UK homegrown talent.
New Transfer Regulations For Premier League And EFL Clubs Post-Brexit

Though the general point, which has been rightly raised by several posters in this thread, stands: while Gvardiol is no-doubt outrageously good (and could play at a high level for a very long time given his solid fundamentals), he clashes with Martínez and Shaw (two of our best performers this season), and will be an odd fit at right centerback — which is all a bit unfortunate. Considering Leipzig's stratospheric demands, we should look at a cleaner (and more complementary, to the existing cast) fit as Varane's eventual replacement — a predominantly right-footed right centerback who is a dominant marker and comfortable in half-spaces, but willing to reactively sweep behind Martínez (who is arguably the best front-footed defender in the league right now and needs to lead the charge for the foreseeable future).

Lux Thunder

Nooooo, hadn't even thought about that; you're both right, of course! Clubs like United will be forced to concede a big advantage to non-Premier League rivals (and especially conduits like Leipzig, Benfica, et cetera). :(

New Transfer Regulations For Premier League And EFL Clubs Post-Brexit

Though the general point, which has been rightly raised by several posters in this thread, stands: while Gvardiol is no-doubt outrageously good (and could play at a high level for a very long time given his solid fundamentals), he clashes with Martínez and Shaw (two of our best performers this season), and will be an odd fit at right centerback — which is all a bit unfortunate. Considering Leipzig's stratospheric demands, we should look at a cleaner (and more complementary, to the existing cast) fit as Varane's eventual replacement — a predominantly right-footed right centerback who is a dominant marker and comfortable in half-spaces, but willing to reactively sweep behind Martínez (who is arguably the best front-footed defender in the league right now and needs to lead the charge for the foreseeable future).
According to some reliable sources in Croatia, one of the players who could replace Gvardiol once he leaves RB Leipzig and was ready to do it in the summer if Gvardiol's move to Chelsea didn't collapse is his compatriot and partner in Croatia's national team Josip Šutalo. Here is my previous post about him, still a little bit raw but a very interesting player:
In Croatia almost everyone expected him to start alongside Gvardiol in WC but instead, Lovren was a starter and in some way, punishment arrived when it was most important - Lovren was awful against Argentina.

Anyway, Šutalo could be a very good understudy to Varane as a talented up-and-coming center back and a player we could have a look at least, before he goes to RB "talent production".

Ps. And yes, he would gain enough GBE points due to his appearances for NT. :wenger:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rumour has it he still cries himself to sleep over this.

“I was really confused because one month before the window starts I was upstairs with the sporting director and he says, ‘Yeah Joško, we are not going to sell you, we need you, we believe in you,’ and I was like ok I am fine with this, I can stay here, I like it here, all I need is to work on myself, to play, to win something else. It was like this until the last two days.

“My agent called me and said that Chelsea is extremely interested and, of course, you definitely think about a serious offer from a huge club like Chelsea. Leipzig said they didn’t want to sell me. In the end I really struggled with that decision but we didn’t make an agreement.”

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Qatar money comes in, think he would be a buy else it would be a luxury for us.
Him ,Martinez, Varane and Lindelof would be perfect.

Kane, Jude and Gvardiol would be the wet dream but would cost 300m +

But in reality, we don't need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.