Joachim Löw finished as Germany coach after the Euros

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Exactly, remember the famous line where he said he rather quit than pay £60m for players?
Think he said €100m, when we got Pogba, then he gets Keita and VVD. They, media, asked him about it later, he said something like "people change their minds" followed with that aweful fake laughter.
He also said "Karius is my number one goalkeeper" week or two after CL final, few days later Alisson Moyet showed up in Liverpool.

fck

Supports
Bayern
I find it a bit sad that Löw is seen so negatively nowadays.
I think too many people in Germany have too high expectations (Germany is probably second only to Brazil in that regard).
Under Löw Germany won 1 WC, was in 1 Final, 3 Semifinals and had 1 Group stage exit. That's pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned.

SwedishFish

It's entirely possible there may not be Euros played this year.
Highly doubt that there is too much money to be lost for UEFA, they've played Nations League games even.

There will be Euros, whether we'll have crowds or not is a different thing. Worst case scenario for them they'll probably do it like the CL tournament last summer.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
I think too many people in Germany have too high expectations (Germany is probably second only to Brazil in that regard).
Under Löw Germany won 1 WC, was in 1 Final, 3 Semifinals and had 1 Group stage exit. That's pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned.
I'd say it's a "normal" return for the (post ww2) german NT but the group stage exist in the WC is historically bad for a german NT...

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Highly doubt that there is too much money to be lost for UEFA, they've played Nations League games even.

There will be Euros, whether we'll have crowds or not is a different thing. Worst case scenario for them they'll probably do it like the CL tournament last summer.
If we get more Covid spikes playing in one country under team bubbles, and a shortened format could be the way forward. Obviously, let's hope the vaccines do their job and we are somewhat near normality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Perfect opportunity for Klopp to disappear away from this mess of a season without losing any face, while doing the heroic, impossible to turn down call from his nation.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Now that it's officially ended, as much as I hated him lately, just want to give my props to him for the service he's provided to Germany.

15 years is an insane amount of time to manage a side in the modern era and he's looked over arguably the most successful period in the national team's history. Though it was 'only' one trophy, there was also 1 final and three semi-finals during his tenure, which is a great record and I don't think many international managers can match it. If it weren't for that super Spain side, Low might have had more trophies to his name.

The period from 2006 to 2016 was amazing as a German fan, continued success with an exciting brand of football that changed the way people viewed German football. You can also credit him for the performances from 2004 to 2006 as well as it is said Klinsmann was more of a motivator while Low was the tactician during that time. After the absolute sh*te I had to go through as a German fan from 1996 to 2004, it was a blessing to see the side be considered as one of the best teams in the world and be genuially fun to watch.

Injecting the squad with youth players in 2010, grooming them into fulfilling their potential to win the World Cup in 2014, massive credit to him for that. Danke Jogi.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Now that it's officially ended, as much as I hated him lately, just want to give my props to him for the service he's provided to Germany.

15 years is an insane amount of time to manage a side in the modern era and he's looked over arguably the most successful period in the national team's history. Though it was 'only' one trophy, there was also 1 final and three semi-finals during his tenure, which is a great record and I don't think many international managers can match it. If it weren't for that super Spain side, Low might have had more trophies to his name.

The period from 2006 to 2016 was amazing as a German fan, continued success with an exciting brand of football that changed the way people viewed German football. You can also credit him for the performances from 2004 to 2006 as well as it is said Klinsmann was more of a motivator while Low was the tactician during that time. After the absolute sh*te I had to go through as a German fan from 1996 to 2004, it was a blessing to see the side be considered as one of the best teams in the world and be genuially fun to watch.

Injecting the squad with youth players in 2010, grooming them into fulfilling their potential to win the World Cup in 2014, massive credit to him for that. Danke Jogi.
Germany in 2014 was arguably one of the best international sides ever. Just an absolute steam roller. I will never forget where I was watching Brazil getting taking to pieces in a WC semi final.

If only Lewandowski played for you, you'd probably be back to back world cup winners.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Agree. It was a great run and while he overstayed a bit, it shouldn't diminish the accomplishment.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The German Wenger?

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
That's how I feel.

Sure, 2014 was great but don't act like it needs a masterclass by the coach to create a very good team when the vast majority of your team consists of Bayern and Dortmund players, that faced each other one year before in the CL final.

If he would've stepped down after 2018 most would have kept him in good memories I think. But the last 3 years were abysmal, from the results, the way we played and how he acted (how he basically declared the national careers of Hummels, Boateng and Müller to be over, or how stubborn he was in this tournament and didn't let the the team play the way the wanted to)

When I think of 2014 I think of the 7:1, I think of Klose, of Schweinsteiger in the final, I think of Neuer against Algeria. But I certainly think about Löw.

I'm just glad this chapter is closed now and I'm looking forward to what Flick is able to do with the team.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
A poor ending for him. Stubborn, inflexible and stale.

That Germany side today has a more talented squad than England and should be beating the eleven they put out today.

He should have been brave and left for bigger things while his star was high.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That's how I feel.

Sure, 2014 was great but don't act like it needs a masterclass by the coach to create a very good team when the vast majority of your team consists of Bayern and Dortmund players, that faced each other one year before in the CL final.

If he would've stepped down after 2018 most would have kept him in good memories I think. But the last 3 years were abysmal, from the results, the way we played and how he acted (how he basically declared the national careers of Hummels, Boateng and Müller to be over, or how stubborn he was in this tournament and didn't let the the team play the way the wanted to)

When I think of 2014 I think of the 7:1, I think of Klose, of Schweinsteiger in the final, I think of Neuer against Algeria. But I certainly think about Löw.

I'm just glad this chapter is closed now and I'm looking forward to what Flick is able to do with the team.
2014 was not that easy, we were without arguably the best German player at that time, Marco Reus, while also missing Gundogan, Lars/Sven Bender and most importantly were without a proper left back, with Howedes playing there for all of the tournament despite never playing there in his club career. Of course, it was still an absolutely stelar squad of players but there were numerous injury problems he had to deal with throughout the tournament.

Even if you want to discount 2014, you can't discount how well he did to take the German team to the 2008 final. It was a team in transition between the young and the old with players like Ballack, Frings, Metzelder, Lehmann not being as good as they were in 2006 and the younger players not being fully integrated into the team yet. We were great even during those years too.

Then you have the full transformation in 2010, who can say that performance against Argentina was not one of the best performances ever by the German national team? It was an Argentina team full of attacking talent yet they were expertly disected by Low and the team.

We tend to forget he did a really good job keeping Germany at the top even before the generation of Schweinsteiger, Lahm Ozil, Neuer, Khedira, Boateng, Hummels etc reached their peak.

Cloud7

Masterminding a 7-1 win against Brazil, in Brazil, in the World Cup, is something that will live on forever.

That Germany side today has a more talented squad than England and should be beating the eleven they put out today.

Disagree entirely. German defence was easy to get at. Things go in cycles. Germany were very poor in 3 out of 4 matches.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
One of the best international managers of all time.

This board is rife with folks that don’t appreciate how different it is to club management.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Disagree entirely. German defence was easy to get at. Things go in cycles. Germany were very poor in 3 out of 4 matches.
They were poor because of the way they were set-up. For all his success, it is his fault that they look so disjointed. Their starting eleven today have more talent than Englands.

Englands midfield is so average for this level. It’s a poor loss for Low today.

Godfather

Didn't get a sniff of the title in his last tournament. Leaves a bit of a bad taste to his departure.

They were poor because of the way they were set-up. For all his success, it is his fault that they look so disjointed. Their starting eleven today have more talent than Englands.

Ok. Nothing to do with England being a decent side. Was all due to the German manager today.

ChaddyP

I really cant agree here. Englands Bench was better than germany's staring XI .

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

But that's only because of how Southgate set England up. This England squad is a level or two above the Germans.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Is eating boogars considered pathological behavior btw? Always thought people who do that are very weird, let alone doing it in front of millions…

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
But that's only because of how Southgate set England up. This England squad is a level or two above the Germans.
pretty hyperbolic tbh. Its actually debatable who‘s got the better squad/first 11 etc., but saying it is one or two levels above is nonsense. No excuses for Löw, please. He wasnt the man for the job after 2016 and he showed it. Last two tournaments were absolutely awful.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
pretty hyperbolic tbh. Its actually debatable who‘s got the better squad/first 11 etc., but saying it is one or two levels above is nonsense. No excuses for Löw, please. He wasnt the man for the job after 2016 and he showed it. Last two tournaments were absolutely awful.
Its not an excuse for Low. We saw two poor tactical approaches today and the team with the better players won. The winning team also had a better bench. With the exception of CM, England has better options in every outfield position. You can pretend that's not the truth if it makes you feel better.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Is eating boogars considered pathological behavior btw? Always thought people who do that are very weird, let alone doing it in front of millions…
I think the jury's still out on mucophagy. Some recon it's just a harmless, strange way to relieve tension, but it's also been put into context with compulsive behaviors and self mutilation. Guess it's like nailbiting: On its own a harmless tick, but it can be a sign or even symptom of deeper issues.

boogars are ok. Smelling ball sweat is something else!
Come on. Everyone's smelled their balls at some point, but I have never eaten a booger. I think. I hope.