Joan Laporta, new president of FC Barcelona

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So Barca fans, what are you people expecting him to change on and off the pitch? Hopefully he can convince Pep to go back to Barca.

Will Messi sign new contract as Laporta is the new president now?

Jam

If Messi were to sign a new contract he’d have to vastly reduce his wage and bonuses.

And honestly I think it’s time Barce start to look at life beyond Messi. Pull off the band aid.

Raredaredevil

How does Barcelona election work? His name rings a bell. Wasn't he their former president or something. Apologies for my ignorance as I don't really follow up with Barca's news.

roseguy64

How does Barcelona election work? His name rings a bell. Wasn't he their former president or something. Apologies for my ignorance as I don't really follow up with Barca's news.
From 2003-2010.

The socios vote for the president. Elections are very few years. I think the socios are basically just members of the club.

Wittmann45

If Messi were to sign a new contract he’d have to vastly reduce his wage and bonuses.

And honestly I think it’s time Barce start to look at life beyond Messi. Pull off the band aid.
I mean, if some of the reports are true, the club didn't pay wages in January and there was a story recently that said the club was near bankruptcy. I think that is obviously hyperbole, and I don't know how much of this stuff was leaked in lieu of this election, but I assume Messi can get more money somewhere else, ie, City or PSG.

Messi's contract, based on the leaked info, is obviously an incredible financial burden for a club in financial trouble. Losing Messi would be incredibly unpopular, but getting that money off the books might be necessary.

Was Laporta popular though because Messi supported him? There were rumours, maybe simply speculation, that if Laporta was elected, Messi would be more likely to renew is contract, so maybe Laporta is being put in a very comprimised position

Raredaredevil

From 2003-2010.

The socios vote for the president. Elections are very few years. I think the socios are basically just members of the club.
Thar was the start of Barca's golden era and their glory years. Must have been amazing for Barca fans he returns as President. The question is why did it take so long for him to become their President again? I guess Messi will stay now.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Are these elections monitored or did they pull a ruse, pull out Messi’s ballot and announce that name as the winner?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He looks like a Spanish David GIll

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Are these elections monitored or did they pull a ruse, pull out Messi’s ballot and announce that name as the winner?
It’s run like a state election. You have 110k members voting at 100 or so spots.

SirAF

Ageist
If I’m not mistaken I think he «promised» to deliver Beckham to Barcelona back in the day.

dinostar77

Lets see if his €800mil credit facility for Barcelona is actually true. As graham hunter reported, laporta says he will pay the players their wages owed, pay off part of Barcelona's debt. Give Messi a new realistic for a 34 year old contract and sign Haaland to replace Surarez.

cyberman

Lets see if his €800mil credit facility for Barcelona is actually true. As graham hunter reported, laporta says he will pay the players their wages owed, pay off part of Barcelona's debt. Give Messi a new realistic for a 34 year old contract and sign Haaland to replace Surarez.
Isnt credit just more debt?

Chairman Steve

Its the same guy who oversaw their resurgence in the early-mid 2000s. Surprised people don’t remember him. He looks distinctly older these days.

pascell

Its the same guy who oversaw their resurgence in the early-mid 2000s. Surprised people don’t remember him. He looks distinctly older these days.
I remember him well, had Barca functioning professionally as a whole.

Didn't they buy Henry, Eto'o, Ibra, Ronaldinho under him? I definitely remember Ronaldinho signing for them rather than us, can't remember if it was under his reign though.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Laporta has the runs on the board and was a very successful president when the club was in a mess back in 2003. One big, obvious difference this time is that he won't have Johan Cruyff to call on as an advisor.

Victor Font was very fixated on bringing Xavi back to the club in some way shape or form. He also wanted to bring Jordi Cruyff back. Sound ideas but his campaign was screwed when neither aligned themselves to Font' and his campaign.

Cloud7

Laporta has the runs on the board and was a very successful president when the club was in a mess back in 2003. One big, obvious difference this time is that he won't have Johan Cruyff to call on as an advisor.

Victor Font was very fixated on bringing Xavi back to the club in some way shape or form. He also wanted to bring Jordi Cruyff back. Sound ideas but his campaign was screwed when neither aligned themselves to Font' and his campaign.
Xavi should be brought back to the club in some capacity. No player encapsulates Barcelona over the last 15 years or so more than him. Probably not even Pep.

If I’m not mistaken I think he «promised» to deliver Beckham to Barcelona back in the day.
It was quite a funny bit of proof of how shit we were run even back then actually, pre-Glazer.

Laporta had promised David Beckham if he won the election and Ronaldinho was his second choice, United stupidly helped him win the election by making an announcement on our webpage that we had agreed a deal to sell David Beckham in the event of his his victory.

We didn’t think it might of been smart to do a deal where they backed off Ronaldinho if we did that to help him get elected.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It was quite a funny bit of proof of how shit we were run even back then actually, pre-Glazer.
Laporte had promised David Beckham if he won the election and Ronaldinho was his second choice, United stupidly helped him win the election by making an announcement on our webpage that we had agreed a deal to sell David Beckham in the event of his his victory.
We didn’t think it might of been smart to do a deal where they backed off Ronaldinho if we did that to help him get elected.
yeah but then we probably wouldn't have got ronaldo... so you know... kinda worked out just fine

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Laporta had promised David Beckham if he won the election and Ronaldinho was his second choice, United stupidly helped him win the election by making an announcement on our webpage that we had agreed a deal to sell David Beckham in the event of his his victory.

Not getting Ronaldinho meant we get Ronaldo.

I don't know if Ronaldinho would have faired better at United but we would have a few entertaining seasons with him.