Joao Felix | Signed for Atlético Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecondFig

1. Lingard doesn't stick to the right side
2. We need to upgrade/replace both Sanchez and Lukaku also

Felix can play all 3 of the attacking roles and so would be a good addition to the squad if the fee is correct. Lingard plays the false 9 role quite frequently under Ole which would actually suit Felix very well.

We are going to need to sign 2 attackers in the summer to replace Sanchez and Lukaku at a minimum.
You really think they're headed out? I'm hoping we can sell/release Sanchez (barring some kind of miraculous resurrection in the next 2 months), but I'd be very surprised if we sold Lukaku.

Hawks2008

Only seen bits and pieces of him on YT so my opinion means shit but he looks a decent prospect. 100m though is too extreme, that amount of money should be spent on someone who could have a major impact on the team.

SoCross

This thread has a distinct lack of muppetry :nono:

He’s young, he’s got a cool name, he’s Portuguese, he seems talented on YouTube; think he’s met the criteria for us to go all out for him !

mswiss

You really think they're headed out? I'm hoping we can sell/release Sanchez (barring some kind of miraculous resurrection in the next 2 months), but I'd be very surprised if we sold Lukaku.
I know people have been on his case recently, but I would be shocked if we sold Lukaku. He bulked up for the world cup and has been out of form a bit, but everyone goes through ups and downs and he's still a quality player that brings some unique characteristics to the squad.

Sanchez I would love to see step up before the end of the season. If he keeps under performing I wouldn't be surpised to see him moved to somewhere like in france or italy if the right offer came in, but that may be tough given the wages he's on. Unless there's some injury he's carrying that we don't know about.

beingshe7don

I know people have been on his case recently, but I would be shocked if we sold Lukaku. He bulked up for the world cup and has been out of form a bit, but everyone goes through ups and downs and he's still a quality player that brings some unique characteristics to the squad.

Sanchez I would love to see step up before the end of the season. If he keeps under performing I wouldn't be surpised to see him moved to somewhere like in france or italy if the right offer came in, but that may be tough given the wages he's on. Unless there's some injury he's carrying that we don't know about.
Sanchez does not fit in our tactics. We rely heavily on quick transition on the break which does not jive with Sanchez's play. I don't think he will come good and we need to cut our losses and ship him out.

The thing about Lukaku is again his first touch which is beyond atrocious. He's good at times but once again does not fit the same style of play as what Ole's trying to preach.

Getting rid of Lukaku whose on 250k/ week and Sanchez whose on 375k/ week would instantly free us the wage budget and we could bring in a couple players in attacking position and also promote youth.

Mcking

This thread has a distinct lack of muppetry :nono:

He’s young, he’s got a cool name, he’s Portuguese, he seems talented on YouTube; think he’s met the criteria for us to go all out for him !
But where is he going to play? We'd have to switch to a diamond midfield. I'd rather spend big on young players that actually play in the positions we need.

Icemav

He looks like a kid and plays a bit like one. We already have enough coming through. Pointless signing in my opinion and doubt we are really interested.

De Light on the other hand.....

Castia

He's like Rashford but not as good as him. The next Ronaldo.... not even close.

He’s just turned 19....pretty harsh comparison that. He’s also a different player to those 2, he’s more of a AM rather than goal scorer.

King.of.Red

He looks like a kid and plays a bit like one. We already have enough coming through. Pointless signing in my opinion and doubt we are really interested.

De Light on the other hand.....
Yup, for more than $100 million, De Light will be the best choice. We already have Greenwood, younger and I think he is as talented as Felix if not better. He only needs chance to show his talent for our first team, and luck of course. I hope he will be back quickly from injury, right now is best time with many injured players in the team.

SoCross

But where is he going to play? We'd have to switch to a diamond midfield. I'd rather spend big on young players that actually play in the positions we need.
You my friend, need your soul to touched by the transfer muppet gods.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looks nothing like Rashford or Ronaldo in the videos I've seen.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sancho all day for me over this kid. If we get CL football then make Dortmund an offer they can't refuse.

Havak

Pokemon master
I agree. I'll actually be massively surprised if we sell any of our 'forwards' in the Summer. I actually only expect us to sell/let go 3-4 players total in the Summer and three of those are likely to be Darmian, Valencia, and Rojo (whom should be replaced with a FB and a CB).

A pacey attacker who prefers to play right side is definitely a priority but I'd be surprised if we manage to offload an attacker in the next window. I think this signing (whoever it is) will be in addition to what we have.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We would probably offload Sanchez and Mata if we get a CM and RW this summer. I don't see them getting any game time if they stay

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lukaku is playing on the wings and isn't first choice when everyone is currently fit. We are making do and the drop off in intensity and press (which seems to be key to the way Ole wants to play) is significant when he plays, both him and Sanchez for that matter, although Lukaku has been the better of the 2.

I think its clear that Lukaku would be a squad option if Ole were to stay and not an optimal one, so IMO he would likely want to leave anyway (he wants to be a first choice striker) also I'm sure Ole would likely prefer an option which better suits the way he would like to play.

ArjenIsM3

People on here comparing him to Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood.. he's a number 10 for fecks sake! Not the quickest, but amazing vision, passing ability and he can score goals. Would be perfect if we played 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 but the reality is we don't.

cyberman

Lukaku is playing on the wings and isn't first choice when everyone is currently fit. We are making do and the drop off in intensity and press (which seems to be key to the way Ole wants to play) is significant when he plays, both him and Sanchez for that matter, although Lukaku has been the better of the 2.

I think its clear that Lukaku would be a squad option if Ole were to stay and not an optimal one, so IMO he would likely want to leave anyway (he wants to be a first choice striker) also I'm sure Ole would likely prefer an option which better suits the way he would like to play.
this doesn't make sense. Lukaku is getting games, he may even enjoy playing from wide and we don't know how good he can consistently be in that position just that.
plus we have literally no cover if we sell him. Big Rom can cover two positions and will have more than enough game time because of that.
plus we can't have two strikers in our squad if we want to play with split strikers. That's stupidly thin.

Cassidy

this doesn't make sense. Lukaku is getting games, he may even enjoy playing from wide and we don't know how good he can consistently be in that position just that.
plus we have literally no cover if we sell him. Big Rom can cover two positions and will have more than enough game time because of that.
plus we can't have two strikers in our squad if we want to play with split strikers. That's stupidly thin.
You missed the biggest point in that when he plays there is significant drop of in the intensity and press which has been Oles preferred method
Now I said 2 attacking players, what makes you think another one of them couldn't be a more suitable striker? Someone like Felix who plays through the middle and can play all 3 attacking positions makes a lot of sense (yes I know he is not a striker). Doesn't need to be him though and its just my feeling that Lukaku isn't suitable for what Ole seems to want to do with the team

cyberman

You missed the biggest point in that when he plays there is significant drop of in the intensity and press which has been Oles preferred method
Now I said 2 attacking players, what makes you think another one of them couldn't be a more suitable striker? Someone like Felix who plays through the middle and can play all 3 attacking positions makes a lot of sense (yes I know he is not a striker). Doesn't need to be him though and its just my feeling that Lukaku isn't suitable for what Ole seems to want to do with the team
we haven't pressed on a while to be honest. We like to sit off and hit teams on the break more than anything or he leaves the front three forward when we don't have the ball. We really aren't that much of a pressing side.
Plus Lukaku works extremely hard for us when playing in from the right?

Cassidy

we haven't pressed on a while to be honest. We like to sit off and hit teams on the break more than anything or he leaves the front three forward when we don't have the ball. We really aren't that much of a pressing side.
Plus Lukaku works extremely hard for us when playing in from the right?
The front 3 depending on who is playing defines how we do that. Even when we play on the counter there is a difference with Lingard and Rashford than Mata Sanchez or Lukaku its why Lingard and Rashford are first choice.

Here is something Ole said recently

You know I can understand why when you go to a World Cup and you see the teams that you play, it might be that his physicality took over that part of preparation," the Reds' caretaker boss said.

"And for me, we ask our forwards, strikers, to work at higher intensity, runs in behind, but that’s what Rom likes, so I’m sure he’ll be fine.
"Muscle is not so difficult to get rid of and he’s lean, but he’s muscly."
Lukaku does work hard, but he doesn't have high intensity off the ball in the way Rashford and Lingard do even when he is super fit. His movement off the ball is also quite limited also.

Anyway its just a hunch on my end, plus when you factor in what the club shelled out for him I'm sure it may come into consideration. If he can get to where Ole wants him by the end of the season maybe, but I personally don't think he fits the style.

Of course Sanchez for me is a goner, and then there is Mata so possibly Mata could be replaced instead of Lukaku.

Wallez

I think it would be stupid to throw a big chunk of our transfer budget on this kid. We need quality players that can contribute from day 1, not a kid that may develop into a handy player in 2-3 years. Martial, Rashford and Lingard are still developing, and we have Chong and Gomes as promising prospects. Sell Alexis and bring in a 21-24 year old RW, preferably Nicolas Pepe

Darlington Padgett

He’s just turned 19....pretty harsh comparison that. He’s also a different player to those 2, he’s more of a AM rather than goal scorer.
I agree he's completely different from Ronaldo, I was just giving my opinion on him being called the next Ronaldo. I know he's young but he looks like an ok talent to me.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's nothing like Ronaldo or Rashford. He's not a winger nor a #9. Style wise he's similar to Kaka and many Portuguese fans compare him to Rui Costa.

Josep Dowling

i would love to know how our scouts actually target players.

We play 4-3-3 when everyone is fully fit with Pogba playing the highest of the midfielders. So why are we looking at an attacking midfielder? Surely based on that formation alone we need a RW as priority. But once again this will be ignored for 3 years.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

We play 4-3-3 when everyone is fully fit with Pogba playing the highest of the midfielders. So why are we looking at an attacking midfielder? Surely based on that formation alone we need a RW as priority. But once again this will be ignored for 3 years.
Are we only able to look at one player at a time? What makes you so sure we won't be scouting several RWs now?

Although, of course it's better to target players in positions we most need filling, it would be myopic of us not to look beyond that. If a prodigious talent is available (not to say this chap is) we would be remiss not to keep a close eye on them.

PepsiCola

Tactical variation?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

We have not played with a RW for years. When everyone is fit, we play Lingard, and he’s anything but a RW. I would prefer a proper wide threat, but maybe it’s not by accident that we don’t play with one.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it would be stupid to throw a big chunk of our transfer budget on this kid. We need quality players that can contribute from day 1, not a kid that may develop into a handy player in 2-3 years. Martial, Rashford and Lingard are still developing, and we have Chong and Gomes as promising prospects. Sell Alexis and bring in a 21-24 year old RW, preferably Nicolas Pepe
Getting Alexis and his wages off the books has to be priority number one this summer imo. We could easily fund the wages of three quality, established players with that.

RedDevil@84

Getting Alexis and his wages off the books has to be priority number one this summer imo. We could easily fund the wages of three quality, established players with that.
If he doesn't take a paycut and leave, what do we do. Psyche him out?

beingshe7don

Joao Felix looks absolutely phenomenal from the videos I've seen of him. It can be misleading.... However, this guy definitely looks like a definite star. It would be a mistake not to get him. He looks like someone who can play anywhere in attack and could be a great backup to either Martial, Rashford or Lingard. His intricate passing in general could also mean that he could play when Pogba doesn't play with 2 midfielders behind him. If United are really after him, it would be great.

Felix, Koulibaly & Ndombele would good buys for the summer.

Although I would invest in getting a RW and RB as well but I think we can do without them till the following transfer window.

Koulibaly & Lindelof in defense would make us impenetrable with De Gea manning the goal.

Shaw and Young/ Dalot could provide us with the width

Herrera & Ndombele would be good destroyers with Ndombele also being a great dribbler of the ball

Pogba dominating the midfield and providing his magic in the final third with

Martial, Rashford and Lingard and Felix to substitute with either attacking trio

beingshe7don

We buy out his contract and get rid of him. Unless of course he magically improves between now and May.
I don't think Sanchez will improve.... The guy is terrible. I thought Moyes was an a**hole for buying Fellaini but I so despise Mourinho for buying Sanchez.... I'm not even sure how long till we get rid of him. I mean it was such a bad business decision. I don't know what Ed was thinking. That's a huge blunder.... almost grounds for being fired.

Nights

I don't know what Ed was thinking. That's a huge blunder.... almost grounds for being fired.
I’m not sure how you can blame Ed for getting Sanchez. It’s not his job to judge a player’s ability. He goes for the targets the scouting team and manager identify.

He’s made plenty of mistakes sure, but this one’s on Mourinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.