Joao Felix

Jacob

I'm not a professional football scout but I've never been more convinced by YouTube videos (pre-Atletico) that a certain talent will become a Ballon d'Or contender.

Have to say I'm very disappointed we didn't get him, he was my first pick. Maybe we did try but he prefered Atletico - can't blame him if that's the case. No latin kid grows up dreaming of playing for Man United, sadly.

Kostov

Not all the time, I mean Tom Cleverly of all people should be a constant reminder to us all that preseason and competitive football can have little in common.
Not really. Tom Cleverley was painfully average whenever you see him play, a half of watching him play football would have told you he was pretty average. Same story like with Lingard now. Felix is one of those talents that gives you the vibe even while just starting in a new league and at such a young age.

mancan92

Not really. Tom Cleverley was painfully average whenever you see him play, a half of watching him play football would have told you he was pretty average. Same story like with Lingard now. Felix is one of those talents that gives you the vibe even while just starting in a new league and at such a young age.
Yeah Cleverly never showed anything more than being an average to decent player.

Thanos

I'm not a professional football scout but I've never been more convinced by YouTube videos (pre-Atletico) that a certain talent will become a Ballon d'Or contender.

Have to say I'm very disappointed we didn't get him, he was my first pick. Maybe we did try but he prefered Atletico - can't blame him if that's the case. No latin kid grows up dreaming of playing for Man United, sadly.
He is Portuguese mate.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just talking about preseason only and how it can make a player look much better than his true level. If you think Cleverly is bad example, fair enough but the point still stands. We are in a period of times where patience to see a player is dead, he's either already a fantastic success or a flop. Felix has talent, great talent even. Only a few weeks and months of competitive football will give us a better idea how good he is and can be in Spain and Europe, not preseason.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I bet all the Atleti fans are gutted they 'over-paid' for this lad based on his first few games....

It'll really sour the inevitable Ballon D'or
He is just 100th player in the queue to win next Ballon D'or, we have seen plenty of these next 'Ballon D'or' winners.

It was supposed to be Neymar, Martial, Balotelli, Anderson, Torres, Hazard and many more.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is just 100th player in the queue to win next Ballon D'or, we have seen plenty of these next 'Ballon D'or' winners.

It was supposed to be Neymar, Martial, Balotelli, Anderson, Torres, Hazard and many more.
Most of those players are/were excellent players. There is just a small gap between ‘Ballon d’Or winner’ and being shite.

roonster09

Scout
Most of those players are/were excellent players. There is just a small gap between ‘Ballon d’Or winner’ and being shite.
Of course they are excellent players and few of them are among top 5 generational players. It's just that 'Next Ballon D'or winner' has been used so many times and for many players. Any young player who shows class is the next Ballon D'or winner.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Didn't watch him so much when he was in Benfica, so didn't comment during transfer season, but credit to those who insisted that the boy has immense talent and wanted him.

This is Atletico Madrid, one of the most defensive sides in the world, so for an attacker to shine and have moments like this is even tougher. You have to question that particular choice and not going into the more progressive side. Then again, he will be a regular starter and if he continues to develop it will be just a matter of time before he gets that.

Not sure about Kaka comparisons though, doesn't have that pace, nor he will ever have, but techically he looks brilliant.

Of course they are excellent players and few of them are among top 5 generational players. It's just that 'Next Ballon D'or winner' has been used so many times and for many players. Any young player who shows class is the next Ballon D'or winner.
Tbf, once Ronaldo and Messi go out of the picture or slow down, the normal cycle will be restored with a much bigger chance for other players in the queue.

roonster09

Scout
Didn't watch him so much when he was in Benfica, so didn't comment during transfer season, but credit to those who insisted that the boy has immense talent and wanted him.

This is Atletico Madrid, one of the most defensive sides in the world, so for an attacker to shine and have moments like this is even tougher. You have to question that particular choice and not going into the more progressive side. Then again, he will be a regular starter and if he continues to develop it will be just a matter of time before he gets that.

Not sure about Kaka comparison though, doesn't have that pace, nor he will ever have, but techically he looks brilliant.

Tbf, once Ronaldo and Messi go out of the picture or slow down, the normal cycle will be restored with a much bigger chance for other players in the queue.
Atletico Madrid have been very good club for strikers. Torres, Aguero, Costa, Falcao, Griezmann and there should be few more.

re Ballon D'or lets see how his season goes before going with wild predictions.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So how do you pronounce his name?Is it Joe Felix or Jo-awe felix or something else?

Already looks better than any of our forwards. Does anyone reckon we can get Timo Werner next summer, or he is Bayern bound like any other talented german?
Jo-aw Felix

SportingCP96

Supports
I bet all the Atleti fans are gutted they 'over-paid' for this lad based on his first few games....

It'll really sour the inevitable Ballon D'or
Mbappe is more certain than Felix to win the Ballon D' or ATM. He is simply the better talent.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
"Juh" - and then pretend you're doing an Owen Wilson impression and saying "wow".

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't see any similarities to Kaka bedsides the hair. I like the Griezeman comparison though. I think he can have a similar impact.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Atletico Madrid have been very good club for strikers. Torres, Aguero, Costa, Falcao, Griezmann and there should be few more.
Yeah, they are great with their recruitment policy. Only that Felix looks a bit different to most of them in terms that you would like to have him as much as you can on the ball which is not the case for others (only Griezmann to some extent).

re Ballon D'or lets see how his season goes before going with wild predictions.
Definitely. Although, you'll always have this kind of hype when a player with so much talent emerges. Personally, don't pay attention to such claims as there are too many variables when it comes to getting Ballon d'Or. So, only thing worth asking is will he become a great player or not. We'll see I guess, but the talent is clearly there.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't understand why people are getting carried away by a run. Yes it was majestic but atleast let the season unfold and witness him regularly before making bold predictions.

Chillosophy

I don't understand why people are getting carried away by a run. Yes it was majestic but atleast let the season unfold and witness him regularly before making bold predictions.
Its not really only "a run" though is it? He's been amazing in every game all pre-season and also at Benfica last season and the lad is 19 years old... Barring injuries I'm confident he IS the next 'big thing' as Mbappé was a while back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Are you sure? it's all technique.

You've got friends with better at your local 6 a side so i'm surprised you're excited.

Jacob

Are you sure? it's all technique.

You've got friends with better at your local 6 a side so i'm surprised you're excited.
I do. Not sure why that is so hard to believe. Good technique isn't that hard to come by.

Balance, awareness and pace is what makes it come to fruition.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Really? For me Sancho looks more impressive let alone talents of the past like Messi, Rooney and co.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
€350m buy-out clause in his contract with AM :)

Phenomenal player but I even if United could afford it it does not seem something that would happen.
Neither should it for that kind of money.

Loved the long run he made before getting the pen yesterday.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Mbappe is more certain than Felix to win the Ballon D' or ATM. He is simply the better talent.
Mbappe probably needs to move to a CL contender if he wants to be in with a shout, form in Ligue 1 won't be enough. Although I suspect he'll end up at Real Madrid sooner or later.

Red Star One

So glad to see him developing. One of a kind talent, perhaps biggest we’ve seen since Mbappe broke through.

Devil may care

I think both us and City were interested but wanted to negotiate the price, Benfica were adamant that they wouldn't sell for less than his buyout, we have Woodward and the Glazers so we didn't take the risk and City are doing this faux humble thing where they don't pay above a certain price, although that bar keeps steadily rising. Atletico took the Griezmann buyout money and bet it all on Felix, they took the risk and I think it'll pay off, the kid is special.

People have seen more than just the from him though, it's just more confirmation of his talent, and probably a reflection that later today we'll be lining up with Lingard in the role Felix plays in.