Joao Felix

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And the two are mutually exclusive?! Ridiculous.
Thet obviously can be. A player who is mor established and ready 'ready made' need not necessarily be the most suitable one.

In fact, 'Ready made players' is such a simplistic term. Some people really feel being established automatically means a signing is more likely to succeed. You seem quite certain that we need these so called ready made players. I don't know enough about this Felix although he looks very talented but which ready made RW would you go for instead of the inexperienced Sancho? People have mentioned players like Pepe but despite being older they look much less talented/gifted.

Vanya

@amolbhatia50k @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber

Refer to my previous posts.

I underscored the importance of what Liverpool have done. They bought young players that were on the cusp of their peaks - Mane, Robertson, Salah, Van Djik rather than teenagers who would hit their peak in 5-6 years. I think the stratergy of buying teenagers is destined to fail unless they are surrounded by elite level, mature players.

It's extremely naive to think that a front three of Rashford Martial and Sancho/Felix would be ready to take on the top clubs in the next 2-3 years.

If we had the transfer budget to get Felix/Sancho and Griezmann (and address other problem positions) I would think it's a balanced transfer strategy. But to solely bet on a teenager to improve our faltering attack mirrors the same sort of naivety that we have shown before in signing players that are past their peak (Sanchez, Falcao)

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
@amolbhatia50k @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber

Refer to my previous posts.

I underscored the importance of what Liverpool have done. They bought young players that were on the cusp of their peaks - Mane, Robertson, Salah, Van Djik rather than teenagers who would hit their peak in 5-6 years. I think the stratergy of buying teenagers is destined to fail unless they are surrounded by elite level, mature players.

It's extremely naive to think that a front three of Rashford Martial and Sancho/Felix would be ready to take on the top clubs in the next 2-3 years.

If we had the transfer budget to get Felix/Sancho and Griezmann (and address other problem positions) I would think it's a balanced transfer strategy. But to solely bet on a teenager to improve our faltering attack mirrors the same sort of naivety that we have shown before in signing players that are past their peak (Sanchez, Falcao)
Its clear you did not understand me when I talked of players that suit us. I wasn't referring to teenagers alone . I was referring to players who suit us regardless of age.

It should not matter whether the player is a start teen like Felix/Sancho or RooneyRooney/Ronaldo were. A Declan Rice who is in the Mane, Robertson category of player that the cafe so roundly condemned 'as not United quality'. Or Van Dijk/Stam/Van Nistelrooy type, a player on the verge of greatness. Or a bonafide super star like RVP or Cantona were.

We need players who suit us and whatever style our current boss wants to pursue. For our ready made strategy of recent time has largely sunk us.

I'm of the view if he wants a Rice you get him a Rice. If he wants Mitrovic, you get him a Mitrovic. If he wants a Felix/Sancho we do like wise. NoNever again this nonsense of 'his no better than Phil Jones'

Vanya

Its clear you did not understand me when I talked of players that suit us. I wasn't referring to teenagers alone I was referring players who suit us regardless of age.

It should not matter whether the player is a start teen like Felix/Sancho or RooneyRooney/Ronaldo were. A Declan Rice who is in the Mane Robertson category of player. Or Van Dijk/Stanm/Van Nistelrooy type, a player on the verge of greatness. Or a bonafide super star like RVP or Cantona were.

We need players who suit us. For our ready made strategy of recent time has largely sunk us.
Thats what i mean when i say that the two are not mutually exclusive (ie. "readymade" and "suitable").

its possible to find players (forwards in this case) that are 23-27 yrs old who suit our style of play.

We needn't miss out on the Sancho's and Felix's of this world but to solely bank on them would be a mistake.

Our team needs an answer to Aguero, Kane, Salah et al. For example Griezmann. We could hone the talents of Rashford/Martial and Felix/Sancho around Griezmann who scores 20+ goals a season.

Just how someone like Rice could benefit from having Pogba ahead of him.

But do we have the budget to buy Griezmann and Felix? 200m+ just on forwards? I dont think so. In such a case we need to be pragmatic.

ROFLUTION

Another YouTube clip

A lot of errors from defenders, and space you wouldn't get in Premier League. I like Joao Felix, but it reminds me of how Depay looked good on counter attacks with plenty of space in the Eresdivision

Bestietom

In a top team you need leaders all over the pitch, so mixing youth with experience would be best, IMO.

We need leaders in defence, midfield, and attack. Then adding youth with skill and speed would make sense.

hanovercigars

Given that most people think Pogba is going to move on in the next couple of years, would it be wise to move to a 4-2-3-1 system and play Felix as the number 10. We seem to play 4-3-3 to get the best out of Pogba but if he is not here for the long term, should we not build around other players.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Playing Felix as the false 9 and having Martial and Rashford on either side cutting in will be perfect.
No it wouldn't, mate. A lot of United supporters seem determined to reinvent football by including two developing forwards and a primarily goal-scoring False 9, but that scheme is destined to fail, and has close to no successful parallels in football history — especially considering perceptive movement isn't Martial's forte and neither of the two forwards are experienced/wily enough right now from a tactical perspective to set the stage for Félix. Consider the most noteworthy False 9s over the last decade or so...

Or even peak Cruyff with Keizer and Rep. You see a theme of at least one winger type player with exceptional movement and the wherewithal to create pockets of space for the False 9 (Pedro, Keizer), and even the forward tends to be great at link-up play and general timing of runs (Villa) — and the False 9 was the clear focal point of the attack than a facilitator. If United really want a #10 behind Rashford and Martial, Zaniolo would be a better acquisition than Félix because he will be interpreting his ideal role instead of being whimsically shoehorned into the team. And if Félix is an absolute must, he should only play with one of Rashford or Martial at a time, not both.

Pav1878

Thats what i mean when i say that the two are not mutually exclusive (ie. "readymade" and "suitable").

its possible to find players (forwards in this case) that are 23-27 yrs old who suit our style of play.

We needn't miss out on the Sancho's and Felix's of this world but to solely bank on them would be a mistake.

Our team needs an answer to Aguero, Kane, Salah et al. For example Griezmann. We could hone the talents of Rashford/Martial and Felix/Sancho around Griezmann who scores 20+ goals a season.

Just how someone like Rice could benefit from having Pogba ahead of him.

But do we have the budget to buy Griezmann and Felix? 200m+ just on forwards? I dont think so. In such a case we need to be pragmatic.
Come on now, griezmann is so overrated on here.

I'd rather we sign good young talents who can grow together. Felix, Fernandes, Martial, Rashford, Pogba, would be great together.

Sometimes you can over analyse and over think things, just get talented players together and let them develop and play.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I think there are at least half a dozen clubs that would be ahead of us. Don't get your hopes up.

luke511

He's really good at making it look like there's no keeper in the net when he shoots. I can't decide whether if that's more down to great shooting or bad goalkeeping.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Could he and that Fernandes fella from Sporting play in the same XI?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s clearly a great young talent but he seems more of an icing on the cake, we need the whole damn cake.

If his price is going to be 50+ we’re better of looking elsewhere right now. We’ve got our own in Greenwood anyway.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's really good at making it look like there's no keeper in the net when he shoots. I can't decide whether if that's more down to great shooting or bad goalkeeping.
It's more down to great shooting, his technique and anticipation are elite.

Crashoutcassius

Clearly talented but we have seen a lot of even more effective players from portugal and holland flop badly abroad. We would have to be honest with ourselves and say it would be a total gamble and I don't think putting pressure on him and relying on him for goals right away is very smart

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Two ways this plays out.

Scenario A: As with so many of our other summer transfer sagas this one ends in bitter disappointment. Felix joins one of our European or even worse domestic rivals and goes on to have an exceptional career winning numerous honours at the highest level.

Scenario B: He joins us and turns out shit.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd rather buy a player like this lad who obviously has excellent technique than stick with Lukaku who we all know is a decent finisher (when his confidence is up) but struggles with the rest of his game. We moan about our squad depth but turn our noses up on a player like this because we have Greenwood. How about, we have quality and strength in depth to push the players?

Bojan11

I'd rather buy a player like this lad who obviously has excellent technique than stick with Lukaku who we all know is a decent finisher (when his confidence is up) but struggles with the rest of his game. We moan about our squad depth but turn our noses up on a player like this because we have Greenwood. How about, we have quality and strength in depth to push the players?
But we have Rashford? What about Chong too? How dare you insinuate they need to fight for their places.

Mrdan1709

He is definately the real deal. I hope he stays at Benfica another season, they may have an ajax like run next season if he does. Especially if Florentino, Dias, Grimaldo and Ferro all stay

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Saponjic, a Serbian striker that was in Benfica B, was just bought by Atlético for free. Benfica paid Partizan 3M for him in 2016 and he has 0 appearances in the main team.

This is just the beginning.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Saponjic, a Serbian striker that was in Benfica B, was just bought by Atlético for free. Benfica paid Partizan 3M for him in 2016 and he has 0 appearances in the main team.

"ThEiR Is nO cOrRuPtIoN iN bEnFiCa"

elnorte

Freaky fly day

?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Basically expect a lot of money to switch Hands and players between Benfica,Atletico, and other Mendes players and or teams.
Apparently Milan will sign Correa from Atletico for 50+ million and Monaco will sign André Silva from Milan for 30+ million.

The Jorge Mendes 2019 summer madness has only just started

R'hllor

I told you guys:nono::rolleyes:
Last time i saw him, was in Serbia U-some age and then one game in Partizan Belgrade, he went to Benfica?! Jovic got out of there, seems Zivkovic is fecked, feels bad, oh well it seems 50:50 when it comes to 2 wonder kids from FM14.