Joe Hart - Manchester City 'Legend'

Davs

So, with Manchester City selling Joe Hart to Burnley for a whopping £3.5m recently, the City owners have decided to look into naming a training pitch after him.

I think this is fecking ridiculous. Yes, Man City probably have upwards of 15 training pitches in their grounds, but for real? Joe Hart, a legend? I really don't see it myself. He was a quality keeper for 3-4 years between 2010 - 2014, but I think after that he's just gone downhill and has had no drive to improve himself since.

City Chairman, Al Mubarak has even come out and said himself; Joe Hart's contribution to Manchester City cannot be overstated. Come on, 3-4 years of good football and his contribution 'cannot be overstated'.

The guy has been at Man City since 2006. That is 12 years of football at one of England's best clubs, and only 33% of his time there has been successful and now the owners want to name a training pitch after him.

Literally, you could rattle off 6-7 players in the current City squad that are bigger 'legends' for the club than Joe Hart!

Agree or Disagree?

Dumbat12

City is a small club. They don't have much to pick for when it comes to legends. It's not really surprising that a bang average keeper like Joe would be worshipped by them considering their meager history.

Trizy

This would be hilarious and would highlight how little history the club actually have.
City is a small club. They don't have much to pick for when it comes to legends. It's not really surprising that a bang average keeper like Joe would be worshipped by them considering their meager history.
/thread.

EasyE

So, with Manchester City selling Joe Hart to Burnley for a whopping £3.5m recently, the City owners have decided to look into naming a training pitch after him.

I think this is fecking ridiculous. Yes, Man City probably have upwards of 15 training pitches in their grounds, but for real? Joe Hart, a legend? I really don't see it myself. He was a quality keeper for 3-4 years between 2010 - 2014, but I think after that he's just gone downhill and has had no drive to improve himself since.

City Chairman, Al Mubarak has even come out and said himself; Joe Hart's contribution to Manchester City cannot be overstated. Come on, 3-4 years of good football and his contribution 'cannot be overstated'.

The guy has been at Man City since 2006. That is 12 years of football at one of England's best clubs, and only 33% of his time there has been successful and now the owners want to name a training pitch after him.

Literally, you could rattle off 6-7 players in the current City squad that are bigger 'legends' for the club than Joe Hart!

Agree or Disagree?
Standard as they will always have the small club mentality. This is shown recently such as the walk in stage from coach to stadium for the players, the little plastic trophies and confetti sent out to ST holders in recent weeks, and the twitter feed which is run by a 12 year old. All reeks of a rich kid being gifted everything. Nothing new to see here.

Varun

Staff
No surprises here. They have a manager who's bigger than the club after all

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Renaming the training pitch seems a bit weird. It's too recent and seemingly just serves to reflect the fact everybody on top of City hierarchy thinks the club began life in 2008. It's like they're artificially trying to create some feeling of legacy. It's cringe.

On the subject of 'legend' status. I'm not sure but I think some here would describe Van Der Sar as a United legend despite playing less than Hart did for City. I know he was part of our Champion's League winning team but that mostly reflects our higher ambitions and genuine winning history. I think we forget that winning the league was and is still a massive* achievement for City.

*MASSIVE

prateik

Was watching the Charity Shield.. Summerbee was in the tunnel with the players.
They don't have a huge pool to pick from. Hart still shouldnt be anywhere close to making the cut.

They tried to push Viera as a City legend as well.. Poor Lampard must feel left out

MoskvaRed

Hart is almost certainly the most decorated keeper in their history and was one of the few survivors (along with Kompany) from when they were a nothing club. So, by City standards (where legends are either over 70 or the likes of Shaun Goater), you can see why they are pushing him forward. But it’s a strange legend who gets frozen out of the club in his mid-to -late 20s.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You really want the dust to settle on his career first before making these gestures.

It's City. He won two titles there. For them he is a legend.

He’s definitely a City legend. There is a bit of revisionism that goes on with Hart. He was a very good keeper, and England’s no 1. He won titles at City and was there before the money came in. Clearly his form has dropped off a cliff in the last 2.5 years, and is a shadow of the player he was.

Having said all of this, strange for City to be renaming things whilst he’s still a professional. Once he’s retired seems for more sensible.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To be absolutely fair, I think this is silly but he played as a first choice keeper for them for eight years (longer than De Gea has played for us) and also has played about 30 more games for them than De Gea has for us. That’s a long fecking time and does deserve recognition.

Dumbat12

On the subject of 'legend' status. I'm not sure but I think some here would describe Van Der Sar as a United legend despite playing less than Hart did for City. I know he was part of our Champion's League winning team but that mostly reflects our higher ambitions and genuine winning history. I think we forget that winning the league was and is still a massive* achievement for City.
Legend is not how many years someone has played at a certain club, even if that helps a little, it's more of how much impact a person has done to that club's history. VDS has more games than Cantona, but I think everyone here will agree that Cantona is a far bigger legend for United than VDS. VDS is also a legend because he greatly contributed to a number of our titles, cups and his CL winning save. He also broke numerous goalkeeper records while he was here and he was always solid. In comparison to Joe Hart, Joe has like 1 or 2 genuinely good season, 6 mediocre seasons and the rest he was pretty much shit. Even still, as much of a better keeper VDS was compared to Hart, imagine how ridiculous it would be if we named one of our training pitches in his name.

The only reason he's given this legend status, is as I and other people her said, is because City have no history and they are trying to create some measure of history by artificially boosting these bang average players into legends.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
the pundit they always roll out for city games is always Richard dunne :lol:

So in their pathetic history joe hart will be a legend I suppose, which is just hilarious.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Wait, they’re not seriously naming a pitch (or anything else at all come to that) after Joe Hart, are they? Really?? :lol:

alsabi

the pundit they always roll out for city games is always Richard dunne :lol:

So in their pathetic history joe hart will be a legend I suppose, which is just hilarious.
Greatest City legend of all time. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think considering their lack of history it doesn't really take much to be a legend there.

Imagine if anyone who helped win us a league was considered a legend :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Legend is not how many years someone has played at a certain club, even if that helps a little, it's more of how much impact a person has done to that club's history. VDS has more games than Cantona, but I think everyone here will agree that Cantona is a far bigger legend for United than VDS. VDS is also a legend because he greatly contributed to a number of our titles, cups and his CL winning save. He also broke numerous goalkeeper records while he was here and he was always solid. In comparison to Joe Hart, Joe has like 1 or 2 genuinely good season, 6 mediocre seasons and the rest he was pretty much shit. Even still, as much of a better keeper VDS was compared to Hart, imagine how ridiculous it would be if we named one of our training pitches in his name.

The only reason he's given this legend status, is as I and other people her said, is because City have no history and they are trying to create some measure of history by artificially boosting these bang average players into legends.
Fair comment. I don't personally regard VDS as a 'legend', more a solid keeper who, as you say, contributed a great deal during his years here. Also a lovely guy.

However, you've basically reflected the point I was trying to get at: we have higher standards than City when it comes to this kind of thing. As do Liverpool and Arsenal.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Apparently they've named a shrubbery after the groundskeeper too.

Schneckerl

I mean if they do it for Hart more important players like Kompany, David Silva Aguero, Yaya Toure.. gonna get one too?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He'll forever be ingrained in one of their all time best sides (The Mancini and Pellegrini title winning sides) and for a club that don't have much of a history of being successful of course he'll eventually be looked back as a City legend

It's all a bit premature at the moment though especially given how his prolonged exit from the club has been handled

padr81

Supports
Man City
Sometimes whoever does PR at the club drives me mental... We are making huge strides everywhere but whoever does our PR continues to shoot us in the foot.

Yes Hart was a big part of our best ever team, but imho someone like Zabaleta should be looked on more fondly in the grand scheme of things. Also the fact that he was a huge part of the dressing room rebellion vs Mancini has never sat well with me. He was openly criticised by Mancini, dropped by Pelligrini and fecked off by Pep. Don't get me wrong he was a good keeper in his time whose flaws became more and more exposed and exploited as time went on.

If I had to pick players at the club from the Mancini era who get a pitch named after them, Hart would be pretty far down the line.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I get that Hart is kind of a legend at City. If Alisson won the league with Liverpool a couple of times after all those years, he'd probably be considered kind of a legend too, but I do wonder what they'll name after Silva or Aguero or Kompany then. And in a few years time De Bruyne too.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I get that Hart is kind of a legend at City. If Alisson won the league with Liverpool a couple of times after all those years, he'd probably be considered kind of a legend too, but I do wonder what they'll name after Silva or Aguero or Kompany then. And in a few years time De Bruyne too.
If Hart gets a training pitch, we'll have to rename the stadium after Kompany, the club after Silva, and Abu Dhabi to Aguero Dhabi.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Renaming a training pitch after him is weird. At the end of the day though, he's a multi-title winning goalkeeper with a record four Golden Glove awards to his name.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
To be fair it doesn’t take much to be a legend there... as others have already mentioned. Looking forward though they ain’t going anywhere, the owners are in it for the long haul and back the football side of things to the hilt. We need to step up our game big time

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Do you really think that they are worshipping him, or simply acknowledging his contribution to their rise to success by naming a training pitch after him.

Where is the mention of the word legend?

You're having a laugh trying to sound like a big dawgg.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Hart is almost certainly the most decorated keeper in their history and was one of the few survivors (along with Kompany) from when they were a nothing club. So, by City standards (where legends are either over 70 or the likes of Shaun Goater), you can see why they are pushing him forward. But it’s a strange legend who gets frozen out of the club in his mid-to -late 20s.
It's not hard you know!

simplyared

Remember a previous thread about Valencia being a legend for utd. Surprised me so many posters agreed he is. If he's legend status then surely Joe Hart can be classed as a legend for city. Myself wouldn't class any of them as legends!