Joe Hugill | on loan to Burton

Uniquim

There was an article about him on the Athletic.

Half of the article is about his performance so far this season, and Solskjaer mentioning him twice in the press.
Second half had more about the recruitment process etc. I've noted some bulletpoints below for those that can't access the article.

* Sunderland fan who spent ages up to nine at Newcastle.
* United beat a lot of other teams to signing Hugill (incl. Tottenham, Leeds & Wolves)
* We paid £300,000, which is double what Sunderland would get through a compensation fee.
* Sunderland offered a professional contract, but Hugill was swayed by playing with higher-calibre teammates.
* Did a tour of Old Trafford when he was 10.
* United have tracked him since 14, when Head of Youth Recruitment David Harrison watched Sunderland v Shrewsbury Town (Hugill scored a hat-trick)
* We started paying real notice three months later when he as a schoolboy, scored twice against West Ham U23.
* He also trained with Sunderland's first-team without looking out of place.
* United made the transition as seamless as possible, Nicky Butt (Head of First team development), and Steve Higham (Academy Operations manager) gave one-on-one zoom presentation of the set-up and expectations when United were trying to sign him. United also helped arrange for an apartment in Altrincham.
* Hugill shares the apartment with broker Jake, 21, who is a personal trainer, and has been helpful in terms of helping him with nutrition.
* His oldest brother, Josh, 25, remains up north.
* Spent monday this week undergoing Premier League media training with a former BBC reporter.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Half of the article is about his performance so far this season, and Solskjaer mentioning him twice in the press.
Second half had more about the recruitment process etc. I've noted some bulletpoints below for those that can't access the article.

* United beat a lot of other teams to signing Hugill (incl. Tottenham, Leeds & Wolves)
* We paid £300,000, which is double what Sunderland would get through a compensation fee.
* Sunderland offered a professional contract, but Hugill was swayed by playing with higher-calibre teammates.
* United have tracked him since 14, when Head of Youth Recruitment David Harrison watched Sunderland v Shrewsbury Town (Hugill scored a hat-trick)
* We started paying real notice three months later when he as a schoolboy, scored twice against West Ham U23.
* United made the transition as seamless as possible, Nicky Butt (Head of First team development), and Steve Higham (Academy Operations manager) gave one-on-one zoom presentation of the set-up and expectations when United were trying to sign him. United also helped arrange for an apartment in Altrincham.
* Hugill shares the apartment with broker Jake, 21, who is a personal trainer, and has been helpful in terms of helping him with nutrition.
* Spent monday this week undergoing Premier League media training with a former BBC reporter.
Great post thanks for this. Very interesting.

mav_9me

I wonder whether he will make the bench (alongside Diallo) against Real Sociedad in the second leg at home (25th Feb).
It felt like he wasn't physically not ready for first team football. Too lanky. You can be lanky and strong but he didn't look like that.

pascell

Thanks for posting, very insightful. The last bullet point is very interesting, think we're gearing him up for some first team minutes after a bit of training, probably next season.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Across the 18's and 23's leagues, he's scored 15 goals in 980 minutes total, average of a goal every 65 minutes. Brilliant return, especially for a first year u18's player

Bwuk

I really like the look of Hugill. A proper #9.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Is he injured? Think we may need another guy on the bench with Martial, Cavani, Rashford all out.
Where did you hear that he’s injured? He was subbed for Hoogwerf against Southampton but no mention of injury.
There’s a game tonight so we’ll know more

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good for him... will be interesting to see how he does this season - i can understand putting him with the 1st team in pre season as we will have so many players needing a break from the euros but hopefully a chance to get some additional experience and then see if he can kick on again in the U23

Marcus

Brilliant news! I love us already having the next big thing(s) in our youth team. Long may this continue.

Jaxa

I think we will not be signing any strikers this season with Cavani staying for another year and us looking to likely spend our money in other areas so it might be a great opportunity for Hugill and maybe even Mcneill this season to try and play a bit part, especially in some cup games, especially if Martial has another stinker or is even sold

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Seen a few pictures that looks like he's filling out his frame a bit more. Will be interested to see him next season, looks like a really intelligent forward whenever I've seen him play.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seen a few pictures that looks like he's filling out his frame a bit more. Will be interested to see him next season, looks like a really intelligent forward whenever I've seen him play.
Loved watching him play this season. Like you say, intelligent player and linked up really well with Shoretire and Amad when I’ve watched. Calm finisher which you can’t really coach, that instinct is priceless. Let’s hope he kicks on

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Loved watching him play this season. Like you say, intelligent player and linked up really well with Shoretire and Amad when I’ve watched. Calm finisher which you can’t really coach, that instinct is priceless. Let’s hope he kicks on
Yeah, he was extremely good at bringing others into play and even with his back to goal, always made a lot of good decisions. I'm hoping to go to the QPR friendly, hopefully he can get some minutes!

Nero

The knees of the guys beside him are almost at desk level. Lowest desk ever.

Yet at the same time it is only just below Hugill's chest.

Is he sitting on the floor or something?

Bestietom

He could save us Millions if he continues to improve. A natural goal scorer, have the know how to be in the right place at the right time.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He could save us Millions if he continues to improve. A natural goal scorer, have the know how to be in the right place at the right time.
I cant think of a time we have had such an abundance of attacking talent coming through... but basically a decade from now all of these could be our attackers... of course it probably wont work out like that but I think the majority of those listed have a really high likelihood of making it at a very high level

Just hope we can get a bit better at getting a good price for those that don't make it

Rashford (23)
Sancho (21)
Elanga (19)
Diallo (19)
Greenwood (19)
Mejrib (18)
Shoretire (17)
Mcneil (17)
Hugill (17)
Forson (17)

Hopefully another season in the U23 is right for Hugill this season and then assess if he is ready for a loan the season after ... as you say could potentially save us millions or possibly even make us millions given its going to be huge task (for all of those young players) to get a squad place at united when they turn 21

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Despite his goal scoring record, I am very doubtful of such taller, bigger English forwards that score a lot of goals in the academy.

Not a huge fan but would be great for us if he does develop in a top striker.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
After a very tough couple of months for the U23s and having to contend with an ankle injury, he was moved back down to U18s and looks like he's got his mojo back, 8 goals in 5 appearances for the 18s (5 in 4 in 2022).

Hopefully this will do him the world of good when he moves back up.

Red00012

Anyone know how he’s doing lately . It seems like his career has stalled this season.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
After a very tough couple of months for the U23s and having to contend with an ankle injury, he was moved back down to U18s and looks like he's got his mojo back, 8 goals in 5 appearances for the 18s (5 in 4 in 2022).

Hopefully this will do him the world of good when he moves back up.
Good to hear

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
He looks like he needs a bit of building up - his brother will help. Mind you, Crouchy was a skinny bloke and he didn't do too bad

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Scored 6 in his last 4 since returning from injury for the U21s, seems to have found his form again.

wolvored

Scored 6 in his last 4 since returning from injury for the U21s, seems to have found his form again.
Is he any good as in could he do a Rashford and step into the first team? Never seen him play. We have that ex city player as well, McNeill ? Is he nearly first team ready?

city-puma

Is he any good as in could he do a Rashford and step into the first team? Never seen him play. We have that ex city player as well, McNeill ? Is he nearly first team ready?
I guess probably not ready yet. But no one really knows.
When Rashford suddenly started due to our injury crisis, probably no one expected him able to score on almost every debut in every competition. When Greenwood got the chance, many expected him doing great and he proved them right.